AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-15, 14:21   Link #401
Trafalgar Law

Quote:
In the end, why didn't Near arrest Misa?
Because she couldn't remember being the 2nd Kira, since she forfeited her ownership of her Death Note when she sended it to Mikami.

Quote:
2. The names you will see with the eye power of a god of death are the names needed to kill that person. You will be able to see the names even if that person isn’t registered in the family registration.
You know, this could mean that 'L Lawliet' in fact isn't Ls real name. Since he was an orphan, he could have had no first name at all, and L, the name he chose fore himself, became the name needed for the Death Note.
Old 2009-06-15, 20:18   Link #402
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Because she couldn't remember being the 2nd Kira, since she forfeited her ownership of her Death Note when she sended it to Mikami.
That isn't fair ... LOL ...
One could get away with using the DN, huh? So this was a GAME between L, Near and Light, after all.

Quote:
You know, this could mean that 'L Lawliet' in fact isn't Ls real name. Since he was an orphan, he could have had no first name at all, and L, the name he chose fore himself, became the name needed for the Death Note.
I doubt that. Who parents could've named their child "L" ?!!
Besides, L said several times in the manga that "L is only an alias".

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-06-16 at 15:58.
Old 2009-06-15, 20:58   Link #403
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

I wonder if we will ever know "L's" Real Name is..

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
Old 2009-06-15, 21:41   Link #404
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

LOL

Man, will DN's extra chapter ever be published in America?
Old 2009-06-16, 17:49   Link #405
Trafalgar Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenken's Smile View Post
That isn't fair ... LOL ...
One could get away with using the DN, huh?
Why isn't that fair? Can you put somebody in prison who cmitted a massmurder, then loses his memories and is now taken care of orphan baby kittens? OK, Misa isn't taking care of baby kittens, but I think you get my point.
Quote:
So this was a GAME between L, Near and Light, after all.
And Mello, never forget Mello

Quote:
I doubt that. Who parents could've named their child "L" ?!!
Besides, L said several times in the manga that "L is only an alias".
That's what I was saying, wasn't it? Ls parents could have died before they named him, and the alias he chose for himself could have become his real name - at least for the Death Note.
And you shouldn't be so confident in the qualification of parents. For example, I know of a girl namjed 'N'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHerrera View Post
I wonder if we will ever know "L's" Real Name is..
Spoiler for Not sure if it is a spoiler...:
Old 2009-06-17, 10:26   Link #406
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Why isn't that fair? Can you put somebody in prison who cmitted a massmurder, then loses his memories and is now taken care of orphan baby kittens? OK, Misa isn't taking care of baby kittens, but I think you get my point.
Well, I don't study Law, so please correct me if I'm wrong: in order for a criminal to be tried, we need both evidence AND a confession.
In vol 4, L did shove the evidence in Misa's face, but she never confessed.
LOL .... that's why I said there're many "holes" in our legal system.
If you commit a crime unconsciously, that's one thing.
Misa killed people with awareness of what she's doing.
OK, even though Misa escaped the legal system, the authors had killed her off anyway

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-06-18 at 11:34.
Old 2009-06-24, 11:09   Link #407
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

QUESTION: does anyone know what Tsugumi Ohba's real name is??
Old 2009-06-27, 18:54   Link #408
animefreakgirl
Anime Luvr!!

If it's silly but not impossible it will happen.
If it's impossible then they can only do whats in their limits. Light Experiments with this theory in one episode but i can't remember which one.
Old 2009-06-28, 04:54   Link #409
Trafalgar Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by animefreakgirl View Post
If it's silly but not impossible it will happen.
If it's impossible then they can only do whats in their limits. Light Experiments with this theory in one episode but i can't remember which one.
Was that a question?

Anyway, a person can't be manipulated to do things that they can't think of. For example, Light couldn't make a criminal write 'I know that L suspects the police.' because the criminal never thought about something like that.
Also, impossible things won't happen.
In both cases only the cause of death will happen, even if not all of the circumstances written in the Death Note were impossible or unthinkable for the victim.

For example:
'Eric Example
Death by accident
Eats a doughnut at 8:30 am and gets hit by a red cadillac driven by a guy from Italy playing banjo five minutes later'
If there's no red cadillac, Italian or banjo available, the whole thing wouldn't happen, Eric would die by an accident 400 seconds (6 min 40) after the cause of death was written.
Old 2009-06-28, 20:29   Link #410
ClovisLaBritannia
1 of the Four Holy Swords

whats up with Ryuks eyes in the rewrite special? he lost those creepy red pupils and he seems to be portrayed as an old man or something in it
Old 2009-07-02, 13:19   Link #411
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Just one question: does anyone know what the bells symbolize?? in this scene --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Ij89nk0vI

The scene when L dried Light's feet alludes to the Bible when Jesus washes the Apostles feet because he knows he will die, so he prepares them to carry on his work. So I thought the bells were some kind of religious symbol, too. But I don't know what.
Anyone ??

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-07-02 at 17:14.
Old 2009-07-03, 06:23   Link #412
Gaawa-chan
Determined to know beans!

Quote:
Just one question: does anyone know what the bells symbolize?? in this scene --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Ij89nk0vI

The scene when L dried Light's feet alludes to the Bible when Jesus washes the Apostles feet because he knows he will die, so he prepares them to carry on his work. So I thought the bells were some kind of religious symbol, too. But I don't know what.
Anyone ??
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp/k...sm_details.htm
http://www.tween-the-shadows.com/mag...gick/bells.php

It could also imply that L was a little crazy, or that he was just screwing around with Light, or that he was hearing the bells from his childhood- this is probably most likely, and that they warn him of his impending doom? Meh.

Anyway, several people say that it was not that scene from the Bible, but the scene where Mary washes Jesus' feet. This is supported by the fact that L appears to be mocking Light's God Complex and that water drips from his hair onto Light. :S
This was explained better on a different forum... hang on; I'll find the quotes.

Quote:
In giving Light that strange foot massage L was aping the penitent Mary Magdalene in order to mock Light's ideal of himself as God. The whole thing was so beautiful and explicated the emotional weight of L's impending death in such an artistic way, and the subversive use of the religious ideology that Kira wishes to replace was highly clever.

I reached this conclusion based upon the inclusion of the drops of water falling from L's hair onto Light's skin; this is an allusion to Magdalene washing Christ's feet with her tears and drying with her hair.

The Jesus analysis does not hold. Even if we interpret it as Christ washing the apostles feet, including that of his betrayer Judas, it doesn't feel right to me because Light never had any loyalty to L, and is not turning him over to be executed, he is executing him himself.

On a more abstract level, I cannot see what L would have been trying to express by casting himself as Christ. That does not seem like something L would do. Casting Light as Christ mocks his divine status; casting him as Judas seems too facile a repudiation for L's taste. L is trying to expose him to his own consciousness as the sham he is: asking him a profoundly substantive question (have you ever once told the truth?) which he can only answer with a series of empty but aesthetic phrases; playacting a sinner begging forgiveness to illustrate the arrogance and hollowness of Light's self-deification.

It might have an extra level of irony in that whereas I am certain L would have been familiar with the Bible, I doubt Light was (most Japanese people, even those of his education level, do not know a lot about Christianity beyond the holidays). So Light probably didn't get the allusion at all. I have never thought about it before, but it's consistent with L's character also to be making Light uncomfortable for the sake of making him uncomfortable.
That probably doesn't answer your questions, but...
Old 2009-07-03, 22:26   Link #413
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Very throughout answer you gave there! Thank you!

When watching that scene, the first thing that comes to every fangirl's mind is... Yaoi!

My atheistic interpretation: Light just kills L because L never finishes his foot rub.
LOL *just joking*
To me, this scene is to show that Light and L think of each other as best friends. It also shows a more 'human' side to both of them. Considering that they both are fairly private people, L drying Light's feet and Light bothering to wipe L's hair are quite intimate.
When L says: "I'm sad," and Light asks why,
he says: "You'll understand soon",
it shows that L knows Light is Kira, and L is sad because Light whom he likes is now gone -- they're unable to keep their friendship. They could've been great friends, but. . . It's one of those "in another time, in another place" situations.

Ah, may I ask on what forum you found that "Mary Magdalene" explanation? Please PM me if forum's link isn't allowed ^^

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-07-03 at 22:44.
Old 2009-07-05, 07:08   Link #414
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

When watching that scene, the first thing that comes to every fangirl's mind is... Yaoi!

My atheistic interpretation: Light just kills L because L never finishes his foot rub.
LOL *just joking*
To me, this scene is to show that Light and L think of each other as best friends. It also shows a more 'human' side to both of them. Considering that they both are fairly private people, L drying Light's feet and Light bothering to wipe L's hair are quite intimate.
When L says: "I'm sad," and Light asks why,
he says: "You'll understand soon",
it shows that L knows Light is Kira, and L is sad because Light whom he likes is now gone -- they're unable to keep their friendship. They could've been great friends, but. . . It's one of those "in another time, in another place" situations.

Ah, may I ask on what forum you found that "Mary Magdalene" explanation? Please PM me if forum's link isn't allowed ^^
I think that the "You'll understand soon" quote was supposed to be his method of revealing who Kira was
and that was using the death note to Misa, which was I think another reason for him being sad cause they will try if the death note works
but he will test it out to whom he refers to as friend, and if she dies... the he will know that the DN's power is true
and will bring him closer to the truth that Light is Kira cause he really don't give a damn about Misa...

well I'm just saying things actually

Old 2009-07-05, 12:07   Link #415
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

I don't think L was planning to test DN on Misa because he was already asking for a death-row inmate.
Old 2009-07-10, 02:55   Link #416
Gaawa-chan
Determined to know beans!

Quote:

Quote:
They could've been great friends, but. . . It's one of those "in another time, in another place" situations.
This is stated both by the creators of the series and in the second movie. :S

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply... it's an old forum constantly attacked by bots, but it has a lot of interesting old discussions on DN.

http://forum.deathgod.org/index.php
Old 2009-07-11, 09:58   Link #417
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Thank you!

Wow, I've been on Deathgod for a loooong time, but can hardly log in because of bugs
Old 2009-07-13, 22:46   Link #418
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Hi, folks,

wonder if you can help me out here, I´ve just finished watching Death Note (what a great story!) and for some reason, I kept getting a Gantz vibe throughout.

Is there a connection between these two shows?

Maybe it´s just in my head but they seem to have some distant similarities on the subject matter (death) , the character designs...
Old 2009-07-14, 00:07   Link #419
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
wonder if you can help me out here, I´ve just finished watching Death Note (what a great story!) and for some reason, I kept getting a Gantz vibe throughout.

Is there a connection between these two shows?
Although DN's cat-and-mouse story isn't new, I believe there isn't a connection between Death Note and any other work.
Old 2009-07-14, 21:43   Link #420
X_Danny_X

say, did L sacrifice himself when being killed as part of the plan to give all the info to Near so he could finish Light off?

Tags
childhood, deathnote, history, lawliet, past