AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 25 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 24.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 24.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 10.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.33%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-23, 20:05   Link #101
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I decided to pick up this series since I was wondering how in the world did it earn a subforum over HoTD.... And I'm still left wondering.

The romances are built up slowly and nicely, then rushed to conclusions that make my head spin? I don't get it. Way to trash an anime. The main character lacks personality too.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:18   Link #102
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I decided to pick up this series since I was wondering how in the world did it earn a subforum over HoTD.... And I'm still left wondering.
Quality of discussion. But I think the sheer volume in HOTD warrants it's own sub forum. I just want episode threads so I can still talk about it without getting spoiled since I don't watch it until later in the week.

Quote:
The romances are built up slowly and nicely, then rushed to conclusions that make my head spin? I don't get it. Way to trash an anime. The main character lacks personality too.
Well, some romances are slow and others are not. But they have to rush the end a little since the build up is more important.

And I think Junichi has personality. So far he his actions have had plenty of variation, not too many stupid, not too many perverted, etc, etc.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:35   Link #103
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Quality of discussion. But I think the sheer volume in HOTD warrants it's own sub forum. I just want episode threads so I can still talk about it without getting spoiled since I don't watch it until later in the week.

Well, some romances are slow and others are not. But they have to rush the end a little since the build up is more important.

And I think Junichi has personality. So far he his actions have had plenty of variation, not too many stupid, not too many perverted, etc, etc.
So far as i have seen the quality of discussion hasn't been any better here. It just seems animeuski has a bias for certain types of anime, but I don't to derail this thread with a discussion like that.

Anyhow, I'm saying I like how the romances are built up slowly, it almost feels like a relationship, but then they decide to go totally off the wall in the concluding episode and rush a romance to a conclusion that is just plain silly. Sorry this ain't true love. Right now they're still in the infatuation stage... There is no deepness to their relationships whatsoever, no greater understanding between the characters.

It's as shallow as a middle school romance where you hold hands for a couple weeks and then break up.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:38   Link #104
ueXia

Quote:

If you keep treating anime as an "earning" entertainment, then you're doing it wrong
I'd be amazed if people would actually handle a discussion in HoTD forums, since everything on it is pure fanservice, even Sekirei has more plot.

And no, I absolutely don't hate HoTD, I'm a great fan of the manga, but there's no room for dicussion on it.

Tons of people would've said "NO WAY ANGEL BEATS! DESERVES A SUBFORUM". But hey, it does have one.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:41   Link #105
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Anyhow, I'm saying I like how the romances are built up slowly, it almost feels like a relationship, but then they decide to go totally off the wall in the concluding episode and rush a romance to a conclusion that is just plain silly. Sorry this ain't true love. Right now they're still in the infatuation stage... There is no deepness to their relationships whatsoever, no greater understanding between the characters.

It's as shallow as a middle school romance where you hold hands for a couple weeks and then break up.
I'll agree to that. I hate it when characters say "I love you" to a person when they ask them out or something. But, I think this is something that is decided by the translators since there are different ways of saying I love/like you.

I really dislike when kids who just start going out are all "I love you" and all. My friend just got a girlfriend. They found each on a dating site, met that day, and made it official two days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueXia View Post
If you keep treating anime as an "earning" entertainment, then you're doing it wrong
I'd be amazed if people would actually handle a discussion in HoTD forums, since everything on it is pure fanservice, even Sekirei has more plot.

And no, I absolutely don't hate HoTD, I'm a great fan of the manga, but there's no room for dicussion on it.
Actually...we have gotten into some very good discussion about characters and the comparisons that are made in the episode. The only thing is the comparison of the characters taking peaceful refuge to the chaos outside is it being half clothed sweaty girls sleeping.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:47   Link #106
ueXia

Quote:
Actually...we have gotten into some very good discussion about characters and the comparisons that are made in the episode. The only thing is the comparison of the characters taking peaceful refuge to the chaos outside is it being half clothed sweaty girls sleeping.
But of course Drago, that's the point of HoTD (Mangaka faps to it )
Anyways, I myself was surprised about this sub-forum too, so I could understand .. happened the same with Angel Beats! for me, because I totally loved that series, but it was such a rage-magnet every week

ONTOPIC:
I cannot forget about this, I very much appreciate Satou Rina's work in Amagami, she completes Kaoru, as much as she has completed every girl she's voiced.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:48   Link #107
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:

Tons of people would've said "NO WAY ANGEL BEATS! DESERVES A SUBFORUM". But hey, it does have one.
Isn't all entertainment treated as earning? If I am not entertained then doesn't it fail as "entertainment?"

There have been legitimate discussions in the HoTD, and many fun ones as well. Quality is perception.
Old 2010-08-23, 20:56   Link #108
ueXia

Quote:
Isn't all entertainment treated as earning? If I am not entertained then doesn't it fail as "entertainment?"

There have been legitimate discussions in the HoTD, and many fun ones as well. Quality is perception.
Well uh .. if that entertainment comes to you as a freebie then there's no point in categorizing it . Just enjoy or not enjoy the ride (:
Okay, let's leave it like that!
Old 2010-08-23, 21:10   Link #109
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I cannot forget about this, I very much appreciate Satou Rina's work in Amagami, she completes Kaoru, as much as she has completed every girl she's voiced.
Yes, she did very well. A good voice actor makes you forget about her past roles. Her voice was different enough that I was rarely reminded of her other characters, like Biribiri.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying if the actor can't change their voice they are bad, I'm a Kugimiya Rie fan and you can spot her pretty easily.
Old 2010-08-24, 01:58   Link #110
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What's the point of adapting a dating sim game and not including one of the main heroines? Sorry i don't see any point in that at all, especially if it's just to increase a heroine's arc by a few episodes.

I'd think about agreeing with you if this seemed like an half-arsed job, though it really hasn't been one at all. Far from it.
She would make a come back in omake episode just not the full focused arc. You call it half-assed but sometimes cutting one of the less popular heroines work better because it is obvious that in games some heroines are more popular than the others. They are sort of pillars on which the whole popularity is standing, while some heroines are nothing but a thin sticks which majority of audience will not even notice not being in there.

It is cruel but thats the way it goes. If you get the heroine that is more popular than the other you first of all focus your effort with her, because she will be your main 'cash cow'.

Why do you think they created two main characters in Kimikiss. And why do you think that the two girls that were to win them were Mao and Erika?

Because of the popularity. When they were planning the whole thing they noticed that two heroines are way above the others in popularity. Making it with a singular main hero would mean that one of the two fandoms will get butthurt so they decided to make two heroes that each of the most popular heroines would get so that the fans would like it but they overdid with the retarded drama, plus having two mains guys didn't bode so well with the fans, and in general Kimikiss became beyond from recognition as they changed way too many things and the general essence of the game that made it so popular and the JC Staff got burned with this experiment, but the reason why they went with two heroes and those particular heroines was the popularity.

Why don't you complain that the Kimikiss heroine Mitsuki Shijyo was pretty much cut from the anime and pushed way way into the background? It was half-assed job according to you, because how her role was reduced from the main heroine to the secondary character, but you barely noticed it.

Same would have happened with one of the Amagami least popular heroines and it would make the popular ones shine more brightly. Its not half-assed, just a simple practical thinking. Know your cash cows and milk them. Simple as that.
Old 2010-08-24, 02:38   Link #111
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Why don't you complain that the Kimikiss heroine Mitsuki Shijyo was pretty much cut from the anime and pushed way way into the background? It was half-assed job according to you, because how her role was reduced from the main heroine to the secondary character, but you barely noticed it.
I love how you're just assuming that i was fine with the edit, and i barely noticed it.

it's kind of different here with Amagami though, because this is an adaptation that animates each of the girls routes, instead of placing them all together into one storyline. & i just don't agree with the idea of editing a path out so one can be extended.

I've had enough of this discussion, because it just keeps going around and around. You are alright with your idea, and i'm not. End of story.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-08-24 at 03:15.
Old 2010-08-24, 02:44   Link #112
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
I'm surprised you're saying that. I'd peg you for the person who'd have a problem if a girl was left out since it wouldn't a fair adaptation and what have you.
Only if the heroines arc would be interesting. If it is barely interesting and not popular with the fans (fans are usually attracted to faservice stuffed arcs or interesting development one way or another), then who would care if she would be gone?

Noone. Most even fail to remember that instead of the background character that girrl was supposed to be one of the main heroines, just like it happened with Mitsuki, who got her moments but they were in the background most of the time. Hard to believe that she was supposed to be as big main as Mao or Eriko originally.

And Shiroth, I dont really remember all that many people complaining about Mitsuki being cut in her role. Most didn't even notice or knew about it. I assumed that you were going with the crowd - if not sorry, but I really do not remember you or anyone else complaining about it all that much.

So what that the anime creates an arc for each girl. One omake episode can always pay the deed for such characters really and most will not notice as they will be more interested on discussing the twists/scenes in Ayatsuji's, Haruka's or Ai's arcs.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2010-08-24 at 06:38.
Old 2010-08-24, 12:48   Link #113
ueXia

You're all basing facts on english forum discussions, which conveniently aren't the focus target of this series.
You can't go everywhere and assume everyone has played Amagami, just in that situation would a person state that indeed --> "x" girl arc is boring and not worth it.

All I can say is that I sense this "donotwant sae arc" feeling.
Old 2010-08-24, 21:13   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The episode just seemed awkwardly edited as if a great deal was left on the edit room floor. Getting that "to be fixed in the DVD" vibe for both eps 7 and 8.

I did enjoy the character of Kaoru a lot so the arc was entertaining nonetheless. I have a suspicion she's a bit too energetic for the fragile otaku ;P

I do think this "omnibus" (i.e. parallel reality) tactic is a real win for future adaptations of date-sim games. It removes most of the risk in adaptation and even allows for multiple directors or variety in team efforts. The fans of each young lass get a winning segment and we get to see how "quantum fluctuations" can make for utterly different life stories
Old 2010-08-28, 06:46   Link #115
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Hmm well, I was liking the Kaoru arc right up till the very end.... where only this couple get's a portrait picture. I guess I was expecting too much since Haruka's arc had about a minute or two worth of "10 years later" than Kaoru's arc.

But that tiny little beef with the arc isn't enough to derail my enjoyment of this last episode, I really like the confession scenes, something I like to throw onto my list of unique confessions. Pseudo mid-air confession, followed by snow falling... below you. Nice stuff. Kaoru's words were nice too.
Old 2010-08-28, 09:06   Link #116
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Definitely the best arc by far! x1000000000000 and without the BS nonsense Haruka's arc ended with. Kaoru is so much love!
I'm fully satisfied with this ending.

But I'll probably skip the next arc simply because I can't stand a certain voice...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2010-08-30, 00:58   Link #117
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Definitely the best arc by far! x1000000000000 and without the BS nonsense Haruka's arc ended with. Kaoru is so much love!
I'm fully satisfied with this ending.

But I'll probably skip the next arc simply because I can't stand a certain voice...
interesting, i thought the exact opposite. maybe it's just me having a beef with the guy. literally, kaoru was handed on a plate to him, he just had to show up

and about that voice, it sounds annoying at first, but i think it'll grow on you, gotta give it an episode or 2
Old 2010-08-30, 05:02   Link #118
Belmondo

Couldn't one say he was handed to her on a plate too? It works both ways.

He's the first one we see who's aware his feelings for her have grown beyond friendship - in the infirmary. Granted most of his thoughts seem to be sexual at that point, but there's the fantasy of just her leaning in for a kiss. Isn't he indirectly admitting he likes her when he admits he thought she'd say that to him? He was all blushing too. I think he is.

He only realizes he's in love (as I interpret it) two episodes later, in the tub - while Kaoru realized she's in love one episode earlier, also in the tub. She denies it at once though. But those feelings are developing and growing stronger on both sides all the while. We got the element of physical attraction from his side in the first two episodes ("Was she always that cute?"), then the element of emotional attraction from both sides ("I don't want you to leave me alone" / "I'll always be there for you".) Finally they come together in episode 8.
Old 2010-08-31, 18:59   Link #119
Circlebutton
Occasional Occasionalist.

Satisfying to say the least. With Kaoru's arc done, looks like I won't be watching the series until it's all over, and then I'll sit through it in one go
Old 2010-09-01, 21:26   Link #120
Clarste
Human

Just watched this entire series yesterday, so the comparisons between the two arcs are fresh in my mind. That said, I find it slightly odd that people are disappointed with this episode. I thought it was significantly better than 4. Where 4 added some last second drama for no real reason, 8 decided to just take the natural progression of their relationship.

The whole theme of this arc was being "natural" actually. They hung out together because they always had, they supported each because they do, and then at some point they both realize the mutual attraction and confirm it. There are no big milestones in their relationship, because frankly they didn't need to change anything. Instead of "let's be a couple" it was more "hey, I guess we've always been a couple, haven't we?"

With that in mind, the omission of a "10 years later" scene makes a lot of sense. This relationship is all about the journey, not the destination. They hang out, and they will continue to hang out. They're just comfortable with each other. While the previous arc was about earning something, this one wasn't. That's also why I really don't care about any further details of Kaoru's mother's love life. Frankly, it's not relevant. The only point of bringing it up in the first place was to show that they stick together in both good times and bad times. Other than that there's no real meaning to it, and emphasizing it any more than they did would just be weird.
Closed Thread