AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-01-22, 13:20   Link #1
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
[DS/iOS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban

I recently received a Nintendo DS for Christmas along with two games for it, those games were Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright. The only two games I thought were worth getting a DS, the problem is they're both underrated games and I think they deserve some attention , but strangely enough both of them are becoming rare and Phoenix Wright is on the verge of being discontinued therefore making it difficult for us to get the Sequels!

This topic is for fans of this great game for the DS to discuss what they liked about the game, their experiences and why you think the game is being discontinued.

Last edited by DingoEnderZOE2; 2006-01-23 at 18:02.
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 13:35   Link #2
Ialdaboth

Underrated by the mainstream, maybe. But I know that for most gamers this series is a cult classic.

There is a very good review of the DS remake of the first episode on Adventuregamers : http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,591/

Here is a trailer for the game : http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/1UP/p...iler_1500k.zip

And don't forget the brilliant translation of the first part of GS3 by Broco :
http://comebackcourt.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2006-01-22 at 21:10.
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 14:46   Link #3
Busaiku Chama
爆発

I think that the game is awesome.
The stories of each chapter are pretty in-depth, the characters are pretty enjoyable, and it even gets pretty funny sometimes.
I hadn't known of the Gyakuten Saiben series before Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on the Dual Screen, but I would love those to be picked up for US/EU shores.
Excellent game, and I'm betting that the franchise would be as well.
Busaiku Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 14:51   Link #4
Zappster

Phoenix Wright is ace. One of my favourite games available on the DS. I even went as far as to buy the limited edition with all the associated gubbins, which is now tucked safe and sound inside my cupboard. Reminds me a lot of the games I used to play on the pc such as Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle etc...

The dialogue and writing is ace, and the story once you get into it is extremely gripping IMO. The best bits for me are in the courtroom personally. There are a few problems but they're pretty much inherent in most games of the genre(I personally consider the game similar to the point and click adventure games mentioned above) such as being able to fluke your way past a puzzle by picking all the options possible.
The replay value as well is fairly low IMO. It's not exactly a game I'd replay straight away but maybe say in a few years time.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 10:33   Link #5
Ialdaboth

There is the translation of a japanese commercial for the DS remake on Insert Credit. And it's HILARIOUS.

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/000904.html
Old 2006-01-23, 13:19   Link #6
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Oh, so Gyakuten Saiban in the US is known under that title?

Interesting. In Japan, Gyakuten Saiban was a pretty big hit in which its sales make a consistent number.

Pretty strange to hear Naruhodo Ryuichi being called Phoenix Wright though. What are the other characters' name in English?

In Japan:
Ayasato Chihiro - Naruhodo's mentor
Ayasato Mayoi - Naruhodo's assistant
Ayasato Harumi - Mayoi's little cousin
Mitsurugi Reiji - Naruhodo's friend and prosecutor
Yahari Masashi - Naruhodo's friend who always seems to get involved in crap
Itonokogiri Keisuke - Police investigator
Karuma Mei - moe~. My favorite prosecutor
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 14:01   Link #7
Blaat

They should make an anime out of this, could be a big hit
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 14:28   Link #8
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
In Japan:
Let's see, if i'm not mistaken :

Ayasato Chihiro - Mia Fey
Ayasato Mayoi - Maya Fei
Mitsurugi Reiji - Miles Edgeworth
Yahari Masashi - Larry Butz
Itonokogiri Keisuke - Dick Gumshoe

Quote:
I'm dying to see GS adapted in a TV series. It's so funny, so well-written and so dynamic that making a TV series that would do it justice may be impossible, though.
Old 2006-01-23, 17:41   Link #9
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
To be honest, I really don't think it would be good as a anime series. Because face it part of the fun of the game is you're in control of the game and it's fun to have that power over the witnesses, Case closed/Detective Conan this isn't. I believe that if there HAS to be an Anime of this I would say, it should be a movie or a 10 episode OVA series.

Quote:
In Japan:
Also Ialdaboth is right with the names he mentioned. As for Karuma Mei and Ayasato Harumi, We only have the remake of the first one for the DS. It's uncertain if we're going to get the rest of the series, for some reason Capcom may have underestimated this game which resulted in this game being discontinued in addition making the chances of getting the sequels slim but not impossible.

It's also interesting to note that the Japanese version of the DS version has a select your language option so you can play the game in either English(straight port of the U.S. Version) or the original Japanese. So for those who are having trouble finding the English version, you should try importing the game. HOWEVER don go assuming that the games sequels for the GBA have the same exact option because they don't.

Last edited by DingoEnderZOE2; 2006-01-23 at 17:54.
Old 2006-01-23, 18:58   Link #10
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2
To be honest, I really don't think it would be good as a anime series. Because face it part of the fun of the game is you're in control of the game and it's fun to have that power over the witnesses, Case closed/Detective Conan this isn't. I believe that if there HAS to be an Anime of this I would say, it should be a movie or a 10 episode OVA series.
To be honest I think it has all the ingredients to make a successful anime. Part of the fun of the game is having power over the witnesses, but the main reason that the game is so good(IMO of course) is the story and the dialogue being excellent. Really brings the characters to life and not only that makes for some gripping gameplay as you WANT to find out what's going to happen next. This could all be replicated for an anime IMO and could make for a particularly good one especially if they were to have a decent story that was linked together over a couple of cases, which the people behind the game seem to have gotten bang on and by all reports Phoenix Wright isn't even a port of the best game in the Gyakuten Saiban series.
Old 2006-01-23, 19:28   Link #11
Busaiku Chama
爆発

Karuma Mei-Not sure about this but the name sounds similar to Manfred Von Karma.
I'm probably off though.
Old 2006-01-23, 19:45   Link #12
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaiku Chama
Karuma Mei-Not sure about this but the name sounds similar to Manfred Von Karma.
I'm probably off though.
Daughter of Manfred Von Karma. She appears in the sequels, nuff said.
Old 2006-01-23, 19:52   Link #13
Busaiku Chama
爆発

Woah.
Really have to check out more of the series.
Are there any translation FAQs maybe on the internet or something?
Cause Gyakuten Saiben is definetly not the kind of game you can get by knowing only hiragana/a bit of Kanji...
Old 2006-01-24, 07:08   Link #14
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Are there any translation FAQs maybe on the internet or something?
I'm going to get beaten to death by DingoEnderZOE2 for telling it but I wanted to point out that if you check the usual place for this kind of things, you will find complete walkthroughs for GS 2 and 3.
Old 2006-01-25, 12:58   Link #15
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth
Let's see, if i'm not mistaken :

Ayasato Chihiro - Mia Fey
Ayasato Mayoi - Maya Fei
Mitsurugi Reiji - Miles Edgeworth
Yahari Masashi - Larry Butz
Itonokogiri Keisuke - Dick Gumshoe

I'm dying to see GS adapted in a TV series. It's so funny, so well-written and so dynamic that making a TV series that would do it justice may be impossible, though.

へぇ~。Those name changes are interesting indeed!! I should probably think about getting the DS port then...

I agree with you on an anime series of Gyakuten Saiban. That would so cool to hear Naruhodo-kun saying "Igi-ari!!" all the time on the TV screen.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 18:56   Link #16
Teh_Messenjah
Village idiot

I've been thinking about this game for a long time, yet I'm still not sure if I should buy it. I've heard alot about it and it's the lack of re-playability that annoys me...
... Then again, Ebay is just a click away.
Teh_Messenjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 19:21   Link #17
Ialdaboth

Quote:
I agree with you on an anime series of Gyakuten Saiban. That would so cool to hear Naruhodo-kun saying "Igi-ari!!" all the time on the TV screen.
Agreed
The fully voiced DS commercial that I linked earlier already showed Naruhodo "Igiaring" Mitsurugi Reiji (well, the other way around, more exactly. Poor Mitsurugi... ), and I had a hell of fun watching it. More fun than with most recent series, actually.

And GS being so popular, it wouldn't be surprising.
Old 2006-01-25, 19:44   Link #18
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Messenjah
I've been thinking about this game for a long time, yet I'm still not sure if I should buy it. I've heard alot about it and it's the lack of re-playability that annoys me...
... Then again, Ebay is just a click away.
To be honest it is replayable in a sense but not immediately after finishing. Say maybe a couple of months down the line when you might have forgotten some of the finer details. The replayability(or lack thereof) is not really a problem for me since I pretty much keep all the games I buy. The only ones I trade in are new versions of sports games which usually make the old versions redundant(see Pro Evolution Soccer 1,2,3 and 4. Now that 5 is out I've no use for the others).

What I will say is that it maybe quite hard to find in a couple of months time so perhaps buy it now, see if you like it and if it's not your cup of tea sell it on a few months down the line by which time I'm sure you'll recoup your initial expenditure. That is as long as you don't pay over the odds to get it in the first place.
Old 2006-02-08, 17:31   Link #19
DingoEnderZOE2

Bringing this back up to place the trailer for the game so those who aren't aware of the game yet can check it out for themselves. This is also to bring back fond memories for those who got their curiousity sparked by this very trailer:

http://gametrailers.com/player.php?f...=game&type=wmv
Old 2006-05-12, 18:10   Link #20
DingoEnderZOE2

Bringing this back again to announce that against all odds and thanks to(Unexpected) great sales for all 3 of the reshipments, Phoenix wright is getting a sequel in the U.S.! And here's the trailer for the very same game that some thought would never see the light of day in the U.S. because of how low the chances used to look:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment