AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 12 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 32.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 32.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-24, 08:29   Link #41
Woland
Latin Rascal

I'm not really sure we can talk of armies...

Ok let's count those with an Akira's Avatar

Well three episode and it begin to deliver, in a right way

1) Kagami&Konata. The duo is the column of the series and so far it work very well. In the future more characters are coming, with the hope these are on the same level, but at least there's chance for more variety (24 ep are long).
2) Tsukasa. The cute and ladylike side of Kagami, she is a nice touch even if not prominent. I was not to fond of her in the manga (and in the first episode too) but I'm starting to like her like her sister.
3) Miyuki. Take her out of the series and it wouldn't change anything, if not in better. I'm sorry for the supporters but I can't find her of any use (and there's no Haruhi around to give her a proper lesson )
4) Lucky Channel. Still work for me (and this time better tan in second ep), we'll see in the future.
5) Aya Hirano. This is her show, no less. And I was really perplexed at the beginning (when cast was announced), simply because I don't rank her to high in my preference (aside for SHnY in which she was great, but it's common knowledge ). Well now I'm waiting for the raw just to listen her performance on the ending (this time she was serious but she still has a god voice when she sing), and her voice is more flexible than I thought (but still highly recognizable).

I'm still perplexed with some line (like the ending sketch), but I'll wait for a.f.k. sub. Worked last time.
Old 2007-04-24, 10:34   Link #42
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

My comment for the episode..

Ponytail Kagami is win.

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-04-24, 11:29   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Miyuki's purpose in the anime and in the manga from whence it derives....
1) Exposition Girl & Encyclopedia Girl
2) Klutzy Moe Satire
3) These sorts of people are just part of the landscape in life. Slice'o'life doesn't have "purpose" like that because life isn't ordered that way either.

I'd argue the show is an ensemble effort. The Kona character (and ergo Hirano) really *needs* Kagami to push off of, she needs Miyuki for an observational foil. Kagami *needs* Tsukasa for twin contrast. Calling this "Hirano's show" is really a disservice to the other characters and their VAs.

It's rather like calling MASH "Alan Alda's show" (Hawkeye) when, in fact, his character only works in combination with the other characters.

Actually, I was fairly disappointed in Kona's third song.... The first two songs and their delivery really reflected Kona's personality.... the last was just "Hirano singing" rather than her doing the Kona character, imo. The VA should never overshadow the character.
Old 2007-04-24, 11:39   Link #44
Anime Online

Kona-chan & Kagami's comedy chemistry is high this episode. As for parody/references, we have Virtua Fighter this week again! There are fighting games references in the past episodes as well, so I'm looking forward to see what they'll have for next week.

Lucky-Channel fansubs are really improving too. Keep up the good work! /does Kona-chan's "Good job!" imitation.

Last but not least, Kona-chan's "aha!" at 2:32 and "Good job!" at 19:44 are really cute!
Old 2007-04-24, 11:42   Link #45
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I see in Miyuki some mother-like characteristics, asides the encyclopedia/moe ones .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, I was fairly disappointed in Kona's third song.... The first two songs and their delivery really reflected Kona's personality.... the last was just "Hirano singing" rather than her doing the Kona character, imo. The VA should never overshadow the character.
I agree. As much as I love this song and Aya performing it, this went a little off the road.

I know this might sound silly, but the fanboy in me rationalized this as "since Full Metal Panic is one Kagami's favorite series, and Konata pretty much monopolized the first songs, she wanted to give a nice performance for her friend"

Yeah, yuri fanboy alert .
Old 2007-04-24, 11:42   Link #46
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
not a bad ep but still not as good as the previous two imo ~
kona really isnt very self concious is she? kagami just doesnt know what to do with her after seeing her trying to cool down on the train...but i would have just let her be if i was in that situation tbh XD never the less kona truly is the most intellegent...if only she wasnt an otaku i could see her going far ~ kagami getting speechless after loosing a general knowledge test O.o
and heres another trademark...pony tails!!! now where is kyon when you need him?

"armies of lolicon" ~ haha!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-24, 11:47   Link #47
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post

I'm not really sure we can talk of armies...

Ok let's count those with an Akira's Avatar
Guess I missed the Call of Duty then. Probably wouldn't join her army anyway, there's better ones out there.

With the third ending being so off theme compared to the other ones, I can't help but feel there are commercial reasons. Maybe Aya Hirano is getting a cover album single of the Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu opening ready. I wouldn't be surprised if it pops up for sale within the next month.
Old 2007-04-24, 12:40   Link #48
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Miyuki's purpose in the anime and in the manga from whence it derives....
1) Exposition Girl & Encyclopedia Girl
2) Klutzy Moe Satire
3) These sorts of people are just part of the landscape in life. Slice'o'life doesn't -cut-
Right, so far Miyuki has more or less the appeal of a pink haired google to me. I'm not arguing on "purpose" but more on the appeal. Probably I'm just not too fond to this kind of character and, so far the related moe satire didn't strike me.
Let's see, Tsukasa had a slow start, and Miyuki didn't show so much after the first ep.

For the Hirano's Show, well, is probably a too strong expression, but it's not that I'm saying that she is overshadowing the others characters/VA. But she is prominent so far, or is what I feel after all the ending is one of my favorite parts of this show.

Last edited by Woland; 2007-04-24 at 13:26.
Old 2007-04-24, 13:19   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was probably being a bit too testy.... Its clear that at least the first part of the series is going to focus on the Kagami/Kona dynamic so they're definitely front and center. I'm betting the latter part of the series will still center on the two but in how they relate to the other characters (like the teacher, cop, and Kona's dad). I do hope they're going to have Kona's dad and Kona's family backstory

edit: ep 3 pretty much sets the series for me..... its like watching a classic "Peanuts" (not the later garbage) or reading Calvin&Hobbes. Basically satisfying, occasional laughter, frequent smiles, not stunning but... just right?

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-24 at 13:45.
Old 2007-04-24, 14:34   Link #50
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well this episode didnt really change my opinion of the show in general, which is the "main" part with kona and the rest gives me a few chuckles while LC at the end makes me laugh so hard it hurts.

The lolicon bit was great, but the best for me was when she guilt tripped minoru into moving his chair over then immediatly moved hers away...Akira-sama why sooo cruel.
Old 2007-04-24, 15:25   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I may be alone in this, but I think they abused the Konata/Kagami dynamic in this episode. It's great, but it should be spiced more with Tsukasa and Miyuki.
Old 2007-04-24, 16:54   Link #52
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. On 2channel, the early consensus was that ep3 is better than ep2 is better than ep1. I think that was probably a matter of getting used to the style and adjusting one's expectations. I think this show pretty much is what it is, and if you can get into its groove, you can enjoy it. The conversations about entering contests and about twins were simple classics that I'm sure we are going to remember, whether we laughed out loud at them or not.

2. As for Aya "overshadowing" her character in the song, we are talking about an ED (sort of) here. Some people complained about no ED before, now the otherwise sensible Vexx complains when we almost get one, and Aya sings it so beautifully. One of this show's strengths is its self-refentiality and breaking the fourth wall. Get used to it. I'm sure that Akira-sama's comments in ep1 were meant to make us think of Aya, the former child star, who may still not be in control of her own finances.

Kaioshin, I am really looking forward to hearing Aya sing that whole song -- and I am sure we will get to, whether on a character CD or elsewhere. Maybe there will be both character CDs and ED compilations. We'll see. And I'm not trying to tease you here, I really do look forward to hearing them.

3. Being a bit of a walking encyclopedia myself (i.e., didactic and boring), I love that aspect of Miyuki. I also like her insecurity, and even her klutziness. It's always better for someone who's perfect to have faults, lol. And her courteous perfection is such a contrast with Kona-chan's "get". I think Anh_Minh makes some sense, though, too: they have to be careful with the Kona-Kagami dominance. But of course, I am most looking forward to the appearance of Sasaki Nozomi's character, Patty Martin.

4. Funniest bits of ep3: Kona-chan fanning herself on the train. Kona-chan telling Miyuki "Good Job." Akira-sama moving over. That last thing was brilliant. I loved how neatly they timed it.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-24, 17:23   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... I never asked for an ED. I don't *need* an ED if we can get karaoke-hell from the characters and they can't really sing well (actually I was hoping it'd turn out that Tsukasa was the only who could actually sing). I thought that was somewhat innovative that the credit sequence was really part of the show

I was happy with the characters singing in-character notion instead of a "traditional" ED. I'm not going to say Kona *couldn't* mimic an "adult" singer, only that it doesn't seem to be her natural self. It does *look* as if they were pushing something other than Kona's characterization. At least they tried to cover it by having Kagami rag on Kona about "imitating" someone and *she* likes FMP.

Don't misunderstand, I *like* Hirano's 'grown up' singing voice and please don't think I'm bashing her. I just thought it didn't fit here for Kona and wasn't the greatest characterization moment. And they really don't break the fourth wall inside the main content area of the show (I don't count their remarks on popular culture and things because they *are* high school girls and various levels of otaku -- that's what they do.). Its only Lucky*Channel that really breaks the wall and its great in that context.

As far as 2 and 3, I'm assuming (because of the 4-koma material) that once they establish the Kona/Kagami terrain, we'll get to see more of the other characters in action and with their own stories.

I love sensei's *terrible* fake regional accent. The VA revels in it. I also like how Akira totally fails at it and can hardly read it.

The poor guy in the train was given a free show from Kona whether he wanted it or not He couldn't decide whether to actively look away or just defocus -- but he couldn't avoid blushing. Pure Kona....

As far as 2chan goes.... interesting, I think each show was pretty good but ep 1 slightly better (mostly because I thought the food routine was sublime). ep 3 is more "girls doing girl things" which probably got those guys all hot and twitchy I suppose I should express my otaku-ness by mapping which source material maps where in the episodes and which is anime-original and which is modified source.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-24 at 17:35.
Old 2007-04-24, 18:45   Link #54
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...Don't misunderstand, I *like* Hirano's 'grown up' singing voice and please don't think I'm bashing her....
Haha. Caught me. But I did realize that wasn't what you were saying. I think my reaction is a combination of the fact that I loved hearing that voice doing what I thought was so well, and also that I personally felt I'd had enough of off-key Kona-chan. Different strokes. It certainly shocked me at first, but I dug it so much I didn't care that it didn't sound at all like Kona-chan, despite what Tsukasa (?) said. I dug that disconnect, to be honest. But you're right about the fourth wall in the show itself, I think. Nevertheless, the whole thing has the air of self-referentiality hanging around it like a fog.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-24, 18:57   Link #55
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

My favourite moment was right at the start when Tsukasa opens the door and is still wearing the old uniform, and then on seeing what Kagami is wearing just slowly closes the door again without a word, totally rofl moment for me.

She's something of an Osaka character I think, like how she slept through the holidays in ep.2 and also the moment in ep1 when she's just woken up and finds Miyuki is visiting and again quietly closes the door as if she's hoping that maybe she can rewind those last few seconds of her life and do a take two.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2007-04-24, 19:26   Link #56
aorta

The Pippin and 3DO references were great.

Does anyone know what Kagami is reading in the bookstore?
Old 2007-04-24, 19:43   Link #57
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
My favourite moment was right at the start when Tsukasa opens the door and is still wearing the old uniform, and then on seeing what Kagami is wearing just slowly closes the door again without a word, totally rofl moment for me.
Aah hontou hontou! I loved that part. I love moments like that, even IRL, when it just becomes dead silent because it's so awkward. XD

*cough* I finally was able to watch the whole episode. After everybody else. ._. Anyways, I have mixed feelings about it.

- I'm very, very disappointed with the karaoke part at the end (this has already been discussed. I'm late. ._.) No offense, but I don't care about the seiyuu; it's supposed to be Kona-chan singing karaoke. Her personality didn't show with this song at all. Bah.

- The more I watch Lucky Star, the more I like the background music. It's lighthearted and cute - it totally fits with this show. I especially like it during the Lucky Channel segment. I'm not sure if this happened in the other two episodes (I wasn't paying attention), but the music sounded all *depressed* when Minoru was introducing himself. Then when it goes back to Akira, it's genki again! <3

- It was nice to see that Miyuki does have flaws after all. I was very much (~_~) when she popped in the episode early on to explain to the girls about June weddings; I was beginning to feel like she'll only pop in when the girls need an encyclopedia - after all, it's more interesting having a character explain things than showing characters researching stuff in books. (Although now, having said that, I have to wonder about Kona-chan. As much as she does homework anywho, I wonder what kind of bored neko-no-kao she would make. ) Anyways, as Kona-chan pointed out, Miyuki scored moe points for the scene in the library.

- I love how Kagami got Kona-chan back in the scene in which Kona-chan is saying something about how Kagami should find the solution herself (to the game), and Kagami throws that logic back at Kona-chan. Kagami deserves cookies.

- The Lucky Channel segment was good, IMO. Akira-sama didn't go berserk this time, which I consider a good thing; it was already starting to get a little old. I really like that she messed up again while reading, especially since she told Minoru in the previous episode, "even a monkey can just read from the script". (I totally dig LC's translation of that. XD) I think the first two Lucky Channel segments were (among other things) providing the audience with a warning, "now you know the real Akira-sama; don't be surprised if she blows her top in the future."

...Hmm, I had more to say, but I've forgotten it.
Old 2007-04-24, 19:53   Link #58
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
3. Being a bit of a walking encyclopedia myself (i.e., didactic and boring), I love that aspect of Miyuki. I also like her insecurity, and even her klutziness. It's always better for someone who's perfect to have faults, lol. And her courteous perfection is such a contrast with Kona-chan's "get". I think Anh_Minh makes some sense, though, too: they have to be careful with the Kona-Kagami dominance. But of course, I am most looking forward to the appearance of Sasaki Nozomi's character, Patty Martin.
If you like Miyuki, you'll probably like her mom then
I really hope they throw in the bit from the the last Comptiq into the anime. It was classic.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-24, 21:38   Link #59
Pakxenon
popcorn

-Spot-on Konata VS Kagami (basically, 80% of this episode). Their chemistry is pretty good.
-Kagami's changing scene reminded me of Nayuki from Kanon...
-Konata in the train... I've seen too many train HCGs...
-I have not watched PPD. Is it THAT good? I'm watching (waiting on subs...) Negima!? and the humor isn't that great. (That and MSN manga is soooo much better).
-Lucky Channel isn't producing the same spark since episode 1. 1 had a reasonable situation for Akira to go wild on us, but the recent two didn't have a good base for her reactions. And it IS the best section of the show no doubt...

I've given 7/10's to all episodes. Episode one could have gotten an 8 if it weren't for an extremely dragged out 8-minute food scene.
Old 2007-04-24, 22:16   Link #60
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I liked this episode a lot because Konata + Kagami = bunch of laughs. I never knew Tsubasa and Kagami were fraternal twins. They are totallt different from each other like B&W in terms of personality. I smiled so hard during the train scene where Konata was fanning here skirt in public. That was just awsome!