AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-09-18, 12:12   Link #41
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Interestingly, Robocop is probably the only movie I know of that is set in Detroit.
The Crow?

Endless "Motor City" Soul
Old 2012-09-18, 12:18   Link #42
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
The Crow?

Endless "Motor City" Soul
Wasn't 8 mile also set in Detroit?
Old 2012-09-18, 12:34   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ You still remember 8 Mile ? I'm amazed.
Old 2012-09-18, 18:15   Link #44
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm sure there's a few dramatic films set in detroit, but I don't know of any action/super-hero/sci-fi films set in the city.

It's almost always LA or New York. The cities in America's "Creamy center" don't tend to get much attention.

When was the last time you saw a film set in Heuston, or Chicago? And about the only thing set in Dallas is... Dallas.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 18:27   Link #45
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Chicago is the first choice if you want to make a movie about Al Capone or the prohibition ...
Old 2012-09-18, 18:29   Link #46
Samari
World's Greatest

It looks like The Dark Knight costume. Don't a fan thus far. We'll see how it goes.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 18:38   Link #47
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
They should made more use of Black and White rather than Gray.... like the standard police uniform... Look at Transformers

Anyway.. where's the badge???
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 18:44   Link #48
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I saw the film artwork of it, this is the stripped down core body without the armor.
Normally he has silver armor over this black part.

Basically, this is a picture of a naked Robocop.
do you mind to share the artwork

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 12:11   Link #49
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Since they can't bother with making new movies anymore, I don't think people should bother paying for them
Old 2012-09-20, 13:34   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Since they can't bother with making new movies anymore, I don't think people should bother paying for them
I find it really difficult to believe they'll catch the original satire at all... we're just going to get flash, blooey and a poorer script.

And yeah, it definitely won't make me reach for my wallet.

Sometimes a remake is a good thing, especially if the tools to realize it have made massive leaps ... most times, no. They spend money on the blooey and not much on the writing.
Old 2012-09-20, 14:19   Link #51
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

The 3rd movie of Robocop sucked, but imho the jet pack was awesome till now I like the design.

lol at the special effects costume. Guess we gotta wait to see what else they're doing to Robocop.
Old 2012-09-21, 11:17   Link #52
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I find it really difficult to believe they'll catch the original satire at all... we're just going to get flash, blooey and a poorer script.

And yeah, it definitely won't make me reach for my wallet.

Sometimes a remake is a good thing, especially if the tools to realize it have made massive leaps ... most times, no. They spend money on the blooey and not much on the writing.

Actually I'm promoting piracy
I think we indeed need to protect art, but Mass-production isn't art
Whistler's mother is worth millions, a remake ...not a god damn penny
Old 2012-09-22, 18:29   Link #53
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Someone unknown left this little message for me about my above comment

Quote:
'what I think is crap should not worth a penny' is a stricktly subjective view and cannot be applied universally... such arrogat attitudes are massive failure of highest degree
So it's ok to sell forgeries?

Oh wait, they own the rights to make a new one

then do the rights of the old one become public domain?

Here's the trouble I'm having

Is a remake of something 'artistic' worthy of being protected by the same laws as the original work?
You cannot improve on a piece of art, only on a Product
and on products Patents apply, patents last no longer than 15 years, not a lifetime + 70 years

if we remove the ridiculous timelimit for copyrights, artists will have to learn to continue to be fresh and innovative, instead of scoring ONE hit and sitting on their ass the rest of their life
(including their families, I point out as an example, the copyright battles concerning the Superman comic character)

only THEN will you see art again becoming something not everybody is able to do (or immitate)
instead of the massproduced rehashes which are the norm today
Old 2012-09-22, 18:37   Link #54
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
When was the last time you saw a film set in Heuston, or Chicago?
Houston, I'm not sure. However, Chicago was very well featured in Christopher Nolan's Batman movies and in Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 19:12   Link #55
james0246

Quote:
So it's ok to sell forgeries?
Two quick points, because this section of your post bothers me:

1) The world of entertainment (especially film) is a world of adaptations and established themes/archetypes. The original Robocop was a unique idea, and from it sprang forth several adaptations (a cartoon series, some novels and some comics). Consequently, any future film is ultimately an adaptation of the original idea, and is not a "forgery" any more than Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather is a forgery of Mario Puzo's The Godfather. Which came first is good for comparison, but does not stop adaptations from being unique pieces of art unto themselves.

2) The original Robocop was released 25 years ago. The last sequel was released 19 years ago. It's not like enough time hasn't passed for a remake or further adaptations.

You can dislike this remake/adaptation for many reasons (Vexx mentioned several reasons that I agree with), but to claim is is a "forgery" seems rather weak and disingenuous to both works of art (however vapid they may be).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 20:27   Link #56
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
You can dislike this remake/adaptation for many reasons (Vexx mentioned several reasons that I agree with), but to claim is is a "forgery" seems rather weak and disingenuous to both works of art (however vapid they may be).
True a forgery would be an exact replica so perhaps a wrong term for me to use
But, would you consider "Mona Lisa II" a valuable addition to the Louvre?
would you consider grants given to artists to remake old songs/paintings/movies
"money well spent"?
or would you call it "weak", "unimaginitive" and "cashing in on other's succes"?
Old 2012-09-23, 00:42   Link #57
james0246

Quote:
That is an interesting question. The Mona Lisa has been studied, analyzed, debated and even imitated for centuries. Every brush stroke and every detail have been explored, interpreted and reinterpreted over the years. So, if someone did create a "sequel", only with minor changes, the pieces would have to be compared and contrasted. What did this brush stroke mean? Has the angle of the smile changed? Is the picture brighter or darker? Etc. Mona Lisa II could itself be a critique on the original rather than simply a remake.

Whether art is the debate, analysis and interpretation of intent; or the appreciation of style and technique; or even the simple appreciation of something beautiful without necessarily knowing why, then yes a "Mona Lisa II" would more than deserve its spot in the Louvre if only to question the 'why' and the possible 'what'.

(Personally, this brief discussion reminds me of Orson Welles classic documentary F for Fake, a strange and mostly fake tale of authorship and authenticity in the face of a world that cares for neither.)

Quote:
"money well spent"?
It depends on what they are doing. I would be more than willing to give money to a future Laurents, Bernstein, and Sondheim if they were going to reinterpret a classic in a new and modern way.

---

That being said, this brief discussion has gone far afield. Whether the new Robocop is a good adaptation is unknown, but I tend to think the director and writer will lose the original humour and satire of the work in favor of a mores simplistic story.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 05:40   Link #58
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

TBH i have no problem if New Robocop gone dark and edgier. it work well with James bond

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 08:43   Link #59
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
True a forgery would be an exact replica so perhaps a wrong term for me to use
"money well spent"?
or would you call it "weak", "unimaginitive" and "cashing in on other's succes"?
On the other hand, almost every single opera ever written was an adaptation of a previous work.

As far as I'm aware, 90% of Mozart's Operas were adaptations of previous works. For instance the Marriage of Figaro was an adaptation of a play written only 2 years earlier. It was the 18th century equivalent of "The Lion King: The Musical"
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 10:34   Link #60
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, this brief discussion has gone far afield. Whether the new Robocop is a good adaptation is unknown, but I tend to think the director and writer will lose the original humour and satire of the work in favor of a mores simplistic story.
José Padilha did a very good job of writting about corruptions in a huge system and one man's struggle to try to turn things around with very limited success in both Elite Squad films. It made him quite a success in Brazil as the people resonate with his writtings.
I suggest you to watch both of his Elite Squad films to get an idea how things will turn out. If everything goes well, this will be his breakthrough film internationally.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote