AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-31, 19:16   Link #1
raideralan

Question about writing on DVD surfaces

I have a question about what I should use to write on DVD surfaces. I'm currently using an Ultra Fine Point Permanent Maker, its a Bandford Sharpie. Is it safe to use on DVD surfaces or will it damage my data?
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 19:44   Link #2
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Most markers can dissolve the plastic that protects the write-layer.

Either buy some DVD safe markers, or go buy some circular stick on lables and write on those.

Do not just stick any sticker on it, Since it could throw it off balance while spinning at high RPMs, Get the circular CD/DVD sticker lables.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 06:22   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Afaik, since DVDs spin at higher speeds, even special CD sticker labels are no good for DVDs.
At least, that's as far as I know -- I haven't rechecked this topic for a few years.
(I used to put these stickers on my CDs all the time, but quit doing that when I switched
to burning DVDs and read somewhere that using such stickers with DVDs isn't a good idea),

But yeah, just get a special CD/DVD marker, which should be neither expensive
nor hard to find.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 06:29   Link #4
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Afaik, since DVDs spin at higher speeds, even special CD sticker labels are no good for DVDs.
At least, that's as far as I know -- I haven't rechecked this topic for a few years.
(I used to put these stickers on my CDs all the time, but quit doing that when I switched
to burning DVDs and read somewhere that using such stickers with DVDs isn't a good idea),

But yeah, just get a special CD/DVD marker, which should be neither expensive
nor hard to find.
Wait, DVD's do not spin at higher speeds... that's a common misconception. The pit diameter for DVD's is much smaller than CDs, so DVD drives do not have to spin at as high an angular velocity as CD drives to have much higher data rates. I'd have to look up hard numbers though...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 06:41   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Wait, DVD's do not spin at higher speeds... that's a common misconception. The pit diameter for DVD's is much smaller than CDs, so DVD drives do not have to spin at as high an angular velocity as CD drives to have much higher data rates. I'd have to look up hard numbers though...
Ah yes, oops, whatever

But that still means that at the same speeds, the chances for data corruption
increase if such a DVD sticker label causes even only slight bit of unstability? Right?
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 11:03   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I can remember reading something about writing on CD and DVD surfaces and whether it'd lead to data corruption over time. I think the general consensus was that over time, it doesn't really matter what you use, the ink will mess it up somehow. The period of time was great enough that I figure I'd either have already backed all data up to a different source or wouldn't care for it anymore. I don't use a designated DVD/CD pen for my stuff, though perhaps when I bought it three or four years ago it said "great for labeling CDs" - I can't really remember.

Either way, I'm a bit skeptical that even "DVD/CD-safe markers" are really so different from regular ones. If you really want your media to last as long as possible, I suppose it'd be worth it to use those instead. Or find a way of labeling without writing on or attaching anything to the media surface.
Old 2006-02-01, 11:44   Link #7
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
I don't put any lables on my DVDs, I write the lable on the paper insert on the jewel case, and don't muss with the DVD, personally.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 15:52   Link #8
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I just dumped a load of the Nero type CD stickers and brought a Epson R200. Burn a DVD it works fine, stick on a label using their applicator device and I start getting errors. Wash off the label with warm water it works again... Tried this with various brands of DVDs and always the same result. CDs are fine through, but I don't use CDs..

My DVDs printed on the R200 seem to be okay, but I've had them for less then a year so not too sure about them corrupting because of the ink (since I'm a cheap b***ard I am using third party ink...).
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 17:39   Link #9
raideralan

So I take it that its a bad idea to continue using my Ultra Fine Point Permanent Maker.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-02, 00:17   Link #10
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Just use a water-based marker (instead of an oil-based one). I'm sure a few pigments can't mess up a DVD. =b