AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-17, 07:19   Link #61
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Reading all the posts above, is that
Spoiler:

I like the action in this episode. It was all happened in a blink of eyes Yeah, it was that fast and cool
Hao Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 16:13   Link #62
aquilus
Dismember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylion
Trieal, so far, has worked as a adjunct to her sibling, so carries small arms (those brief seconds of her hand to hand fight in the streets of Naples were fantastic).
Well ... she had a shotgun with a bayonnet in the first episode ... ;P But the fight you are talking about was indeed rather damn cool.
aquilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 17:19   Link #63
Lonewulf
Kuya

Send a message via AIM to Lonewulf
For no reason at all I had to put my 2 cents in...Episode 3 made me sad...you know why? my name is EMilio. Pissed me off. You never see an Emilio in anime...and when i finally did. They killed him. It was like a part of me died.
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 17:41   Link #64
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf
For no reason at all I had to put my 2 cents in...Episode 3 made me sad...you know why? my name is EMilio. Pissed me off. You never see an Emilio in anime...and when i finally did. They killed him. It was like a part of me died.
Heh heh. Sorry, that was just too funny.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-17, 17:51   Link #65
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Asakura
Reading all the posts above, is that
Spoiler:

I like the action in this episode. It was all happened in a blink of eyes Yeah, it was that fast and cool
Triela is not Marios daughter, just read back a few posts. rewatch ep 4 again listen closely to Marios and Triela conversation in the restroom and the ending scene when they talk once more after Triela kills off the mafia guys.

best regards Lonewulf too bad he had to die.
Old 2003-11-18, 02:20   Link #66
skylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
I
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
skylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 02:38   Link #67
skylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Asakura

And that's the way gunplay and violence is. It's over in a blink of any eye. Gunfight at the OK Corall, anyone? And the producers seem to pay attention too that. I admit, I looked into this show because I thought it would be a western. When I read the synopsis, before downloading, I was hooked. The premise was difficult too ignore. Does anyone this that the hook of children with guns is a reaction to violence, esp. that which is offered in entertainment. The message that I get, any your mileage may vary, is that violence is conditioned into children by the adults around them, and not thier source of entertainment. I can support that in a way by claiming that the girls don't watch tv or play video games. Thier toys are soft (Triela's bears). But they are constantly being drilled and trained in how to deal out deadly violence. Is it any wonder that Henrietta is having the problems she is having. She reacts the only way she knows how when faced with danger. And the relationship she is developing with Jose dovetails with that.
Wow, that was longwinded.
One more thing. Is this show a reaction to similar programs like Noir. Teenagers with guns doing the spy/espionage this is potable. Is GSG saying in it's own way: Let's push the envelope further and ractched down the age group. That should get the eyes poppin'
Old 2003-11-18, 06:12   Link #68
K_R
also known as K!

I think GSG is older than Noir, unless Noir has a preceding manga as well. The GSG in manga form dates back to before 1998 - the earliest manga I have of GSG is "PRESENCE #3" which is from 1998.

--PocariSweat
Most of the anime is straight conversion from the manga. So your, 'Seems like the writers were just told "take the most innocent characters you can come up with and run them through a physical and emotional meat grinder".' is somewhat invalidated, since its creator is one man, not a group of writers.

Last edited by K_R; 2003-11-18 at 06:30.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 08:15   Link #69
Gabriel710
Angel Of Death

I watched the ep again and it strengthened my theory that Mario is Trielas father (not bothering to put spoilers since some people didnt put). Why did Triealas brother let Mario go when he was right there listening to their conversation? In other words he knew Triela straight up lied to him. Why did Triela get two teddies? The shock in Marios face? Those points lead to my theory that Mario is Trielas dad. If you show me proof that totaly dispute this theory then my theory is out of the window.
Gabriel710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 09:57   Link #70
skylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
I think GSG is older than Noir, unless Noir has a preceding manga as well. The GSG in manga form dates back to before 1998 - the earliest manga I have of GSG is "PRESENCE #3" which is from 1998.

--PocariSweat
Most of the anime is straight conversion from the manga. So your, 'Seems like the writers were just told "take the most innocent characters you can come up with and run them through a physical and emotional meat grinder".' is somewhat invalidated, since its creator is one man, not a group of writers.
Don't know if Noir was a manga before an anime or not, but I will take your word on it. And yeah, your second point does say alot as well. Unless the manga was reactionary. But I don't think arguing about that would get anyone anywhere.
Old 2003-11-18, 10:03   Link #71
NenMaster

is GSG a manga?
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 10:06   Link #72
skylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenMaster
is GSG a manga?
Yes. Thou ADV has said that the street date for volume one is today (11/18), Barnes and Nobles online has is listed as October. I quick visit on my way from work told me it will be in today. So, guess who gets the first manga today. Yep. Lots of us. Can't wait. I want to see if there are any more details that I might have missed after watching "Siblings" about a half dozen time already.
Old 2003-11-18, 10:20   Link #73
K_R
also known as K!

As mentioned earlier, GSG is serialised in Dengeki Daiou, currently up to chapter 14. The first 11 chapters have been compiled into two volumes.

The creator, Aida Yu, has also done a lot of GSG manga that lie outside the 'main' manga run.
Old 2003-11-18, 16:02   Link #74
FlyByNite

I saw Gunslinger Girl Volume 1 at a local book store today. So I'd guess it's being released on time by ADV.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 21:13   Link #75
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel710
I watched the ep again and it strengthened my theory that Mario is Trielas father (not bothering to put spoilers since some people didnt put). Why did Triealas brother let Mario go when he was right there listening to their conversation? In other words he knew Triela straight up lied to him. Why did Triela get two teddies? The shock in Marios face? Those points lead to my theory that Mario is Trielas dad. If you show me proof that totaly dispute this theory then my theory is out of the window.
Proof? Hardly, just consider that

Spoiler:

--Lonewulf

Take it as a warning, if you ever come across a girl named Rico carrying a violin case, run like hell
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 21:40   Link #76
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel710
You want proof then read over my earlier posts and others who have proof that Triela is not Marios daughter. You should just rewatch the episode over again and pay close attention to the bathroom scene and the ending where Triela kills off the Mafia guys.
Old 2003-11-18, 22:02   Link #77
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Ok, so one guy decided to do it all on his lonesome - does that make it any less exploitative? It's a show where you wind up hating almost everybody - I can only hope the kids turn on their "benefactors" one of these days.

I know the show wants to make Henrietta's "handler" out to be a nice guy, but phooey I say. Despite playing up his regrets and the kindness he tries to show Henrietta, he's still as much of a bastard as the rest for using the girls to begin with. Making him out to be a good guy is kind of like being the "kind hearted serial rapist" - it just doesn't work.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 22:04   Link #78
Anlushac11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Proof? Hardly, just consider that

Spoiler:

--Lonewulf

Take it as a warning, if you ever come across a girl named Rico carrying a violin case, run like hell
[spoiler] It was my understanding that Triela started receiving the Teddy Bears from her "brother" when she arrived at the institute. IIRC It has been mentioned that she has been there six years and her brother always gives her a Teddy Bear and never asks her what she wants for Christmas. He finally confessed that he doesnt know what to get her and thought little girls liked Teddy Bears. Triela was touched at his confession and was happy that he asked her what she wanted. Also I think Triela's brother listened in and didnt intervene because he himself had let Mario go and now Triela was doing the same thing. I took it to mean she was a thinking and feeling human being and not a machine like Rico. Rico will do whatever she is told. She follows orders. Triela can reason and think for herself.
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 22:10   Link #79
Anlushac11

Cool

I also agree that Triela is not Mario's daughter.

Spoiler:
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 23:15   Link #80
K_R
also known as K!

I was more pointing out that GSG was not created by a group of writers and is based on a manga - there are people posting in this thread thinking that it's an original anime.

--

In episode one, we learn that Jose doesn't want to use a child, but is given no choice. I think he _is_ a good guy because he makes the best out of a bad situation. If he decided to not take Henrietta, maybe she could have ended up with a real bastard like Jean (for bastard factor, in "Presence #3" we see Jean slamming Rico's head into the wall and picking her up by the neck). And remember the state that she was in when he found her: mental disarray and several limbs amputated (now that I think about it, the people that killed her family might have done the amputation on her!). Sure, she had to become a killer, but I think she's better off a killing machine with the Corporation than a suicidal amputee in the hospital.

Last edited by K_R; 2003-11-18 at 23:42.

Tags
action, drama, sci-fi, seinen