Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-15, 01:20   Link #161
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think its the eyes... her eyes seem to have lost a lot of the detail that allowed her to pull off the notion of an ancient personality in a young woman's body. They're just a flat simplified red with no depth. I'm sure people remember the way she would look at Lawrence with those eyes in closeups.

Obviously, the first few minutes of the new season will tell us if we've been underbudgeted in the artwork department or not....
Old 2009-03-15, 01:55   Link #162
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I'm a little surprised how different the eyes in this design are given how similar a lot of the preview artwork looked to season 1's art.

Definately hoping that Brains Base is going to get the funding to do their best work on this project. The way they handled body language for Kurenai (in particular the way Murasaki moved) is one of the more impressive things I've seen in an anime, but they've also produced some pretty horrid looking stuff...
Old 2009-03-15, 02:03   Link #163
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Yeah Kurenai and Baccano! are what make me confident in what Brains Base can do. But I guess it does come down to whether or not they get the appropriate funding.
Old 2009-03-15, 04:02   Link #164
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Brains Base is also doing Akikan. Money can do a lot of things.
Old 2009-03-15, 14:29   Link #165
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Brains Base is also doing Akikan. Money can do a lot of things.
Haha, indeed. Although I haven't seen Akikan I can imagine it's level of quality.
Old 2009-03-15, 15:58   Link #166
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The art and animation of Akikan are almost ... well it ranges from napkin doodles to an occasional "glamour shot" but then again - they going with the material it derives from which is very vaudeville cartoon sex farce. We'll hope for Kurenai rather than Akikan work
Old 2009-03-15, 16:41   Link #167
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Akikan is on my list of things to do, but I haven't seen it yet. Vexx's description makes it sound... interesting.
Old 2009-03-15, 17:38   Link #168
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

It's so bad it's decent.
Old 2009-03-15, 21:05   Link #169
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
It's so bad it's decent.
Haha, that's how I figured it would be.

And yes, let us hope for Kurenai/Baccano! level.
Old 2009-03-16, 22:05   Link #170
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah here's hoping for the Kurenai level. Now Spice and Wolf animated like that wouldn't bother me at all .

Though now I just want the second season to be going so I can watch. Besides now that I'm helping out on a blog it means I can talk about this series more than I already do.
Old 2009-03-17, 18:12   Link #171
Tri-ring

How many volumes do you think season two will cover?
The first season covered vol.1~3, will second season cover up to vol.6?
If so are they going to consider creating a third season since vol. 8 and 9 are loose continuation of vol.6 as a single arc?

What do you think.
Old 2009-03-17, 19:55   Link #172
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Hm? Didn't the first season only cover vol 1 and 2? And from what I've heard, the first half of the 2nd season is going to be some weird thing, and then the second half will cover the 3rd volume. That's how I think it's going.
Old 2009-03-18, 00:33   Link #173
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think its the eyes... her eyes seem to have lost a lot of the detail that allowed her to pull off the notion of an ancient personality in a young woman's body. They're just a flat simplified red with no depth. I'm sure people remember the way she would look at Lawrence with those eyes in closeups.
I think it's the eyes in that pose, really. The pose is sort of a generic "look at me being cute" sort of pose, and that's a bit out-of-character for Horo. As a result, it gives her a younger look that, as you say, removes that sort of "wisdom" Horo had throughout the first season. The poses on the character page use the same art style, but they're more "traditional" Horo-like poses. So, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
And that Blue ray box set, I'd think about getting that instead of the regular DVDs if I knew they were a lot better. (And of course if I found one at a cheaper price) I downloaded some episodes of the Blue Ray version to try and compare them. But if someone has already been through this, if they could tell me if it's much better and thus worth the extra money. Is there any extra scenes or material? Or is it only higher picture quality?
Well, as someone who purchased both the DVDs and the Blu-Ray discs, I can tell you firsthand that the Blu-Rays are, without a doubt, the best way of viewing the show. I don't think they have anything in particular in terms of special bonus content, but the background art for this show really shines in full HD, and the encoding is near-flawless. So, given that the 6 DVDs and the 4-disc Blu-Ray set cost around the same price in the end (assuming, of course, you're talking about the legit Japanese stuff), it's really a no-brainer to go with the Blu-Rays if you have a player. If I had known for sure that they were just around the corner, I would have waited.

EDIT: I moved future replies to this Blu-Ray topic to the Merchandise thread -- look on page 17.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-03-21 at 02:06. Reason: Topic split
Old 2009-03-23, 22:20   Link #174
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

What's Animesuki's policy on linking magazine scans?

I ask because I just ran across a VERY high quality scan of a magazine preview for season 2 and thought it might provide further clues as to what's happening with character designs.
Old 2009-03-24, 00:11   Link #175
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They don't mind the occasional scan as far as I can tell -- informational fair use.

If its one of those multi-megabyte high-res scans - you might JPEG it down to a reasonable size which should skim under the 1.1 rule.
Old 2009-03-24, 00:33   Link #176
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I'm hoping this strikes a good balance between 1.1 compliance and providing a solid basis for art analysis:

I'm not sure if this is a good indication of the eventual style for the series, but I do think Horo's eyes are better than in the picture everyone got up in arms about. Although the guy in the middle makes me worry we're going to see a repeat of what happened to the eye designs between the first and second season of Gunslin...

...you know what, I'm not going to say it. I don't want to jinx anything.
Old 2009-03-24, 01:06   Link #177
Cinocard

Well, that's an old pic in this topic. Everyone saw it, and still made a fuss, including me. It's our love for Horo

Actually, the eye is not the only thing that is wrong. But it's the biggest problem indeed. And I do hope since that picture is something put at the very front of the website, the eyes are just something to draw new audience in.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-24 at 01:26.
Old 2009-03-24, 01:22   Link #178
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Yeah I just figured out that Kaguya already posted the scan I found... sorry about that. I'd assumed it was new because it was just uploaded to the site I found it on yesterday.
Old 2009-03-27, 16:37   Link #179
Kaguya
an idler

The first trailer of Spice and Wolf II was released on the official site.
It is a trailer of Episode 0 "Wolf and Amber Melancholy" released on April 30.
Compared with a first season, I think that there is almost no difference.
I think that it is pretty good.

Trailer
mms://stream.mediaworks.co.jp/spicy-...lf2_vnovel.wmv

Official site
http://www.spicy-wolf.com/special/movie.html

I like this scene.

Last edited by Kaguya; 2009-03-27 at 18:32.
Old 2009-03-27, 19:08   Link #180
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

What was the deal with this special again? Is it supposed to be the beginning of the new season, or another extra from the first season's timeline?

Never mind, I guess the episode 0 part explains it. I wonder how much importance it'll have to the story and flow of the new season. Cause if it's a lot then I don't like the idea of them separating them.
Closed Thread