AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-09-02, 13:33   Link #2461
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Does that include running gags?
A running gag can be short references, or dragged-on episode-long painful "jokes".
Being overly dragged-on doesn't depend on the kind of the joke, only on how it is executed.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 13:40   Link #2462
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends on if the situation was meant to be funny. The general feeling is that it was suppose to be boring. Unlike most time loop tales, nothing is happening. There is no real crisis. They aren't about to all get killed. They aren't trying to accomplish something and failing at it. They aren't using it for comic effect. They are just reliving two weeks of themselves having fun as a group during summer.

Only Yuki is feeling the pain for the most part. Mikuru panics because she's out of contact with the future, and the boys are having flashes of rememberance, but aside from those...there is no real danger for them. And because of Yuki's information, they know enough to know that nothing bad is happening...just Haruhi running them around to finish her list, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over............again.
Old 2009-09-02, 15:56   Link #2463
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Depends on if the situation was meant to be funny. The general feeling is that it was suppose to be boring.
And that's exactly why Endless Eight mostly fails on a basic entertainment level. Entertainment is, almost by definition, not boring.
Old 2009-09-02, 15:58   Link #2464
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've seen things people do for entertainment that are much more boring than the Endless Eight.
Old 2009-09-02, 16:04   Link #2465
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I've seen things people do for entertainment that are much more boring than the Endless Eight.
Oh, the actual activities that the SOS Brigade engages in are fun to watch, and no doubt are entertaining to experience. Almost either one of the eight iterations is a good, entertaining episode in and of itself. But, after about three of these episodes, the rest seem almost intolerably boring, imo. It's the sheer repetition that does it.
Old 2009-09-02, 16:08   Link #2466
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sort of like watching golf or chess being played. They aren't really spectator sports. Doing is more fun than watching in those cases....unless you are Battler...then the chess board is not quite safe, much less fun.
Old 2009-09-02, 16:13   Link #2467
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Sort of like watching golf or chess being played. They aren't really spectator sports. Doing is more fun than watching in those cases....unless you are Battler...then the chess board is not quite safe, much less fun.
Agreed. I never did understand why people like watching golf. The only time I watch golf is when I'm finding it hard to get to sleep, *ahem*.
Old 2009-09-02, 16:23   Link #2468
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I never understood why people like watching any sports. I mean, really, what's the point of watching a bunch of other people doing physical activities?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 16:36   Link #2469
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I never understood why people like watching any sports. I mean, really, what's the point of watching a bunch of other people doing physical activities?
Well, as a pro hockey fan, part of it is that it's actually pretty fast and hard-hitting and exhilarating. Not myself, nor any of my friends, can play hockey even near that well.
Old 2009-09-02, 17:26   Link #2470
Akka

Quote:
Not really. Though I agree that playing them is more fun than watching them, you, at least, discover the match as it goes on.
E8 would be watching the same match six times in a row. By the second it starts to be quite boring, so by the last...
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 18:45   Link #2471
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Your analogy is a bit flawed. E8 was more like watching two severely mismatched teams play against each other multiple times, with the underdog finally winning on the eighth and final one.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 18:46   Link #2472
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Your analogy is a bit flawed. E8 was more like watching two severely mismatched teams play against each other multiple times, with the underdog finally winning on the eighth and final one.
I like that take on it. It really fits. Especially with the interpretation I had of that baseball game that Kyon kept watching from one iteration to the next, with him always cheering for the underdog...
Old 2009-09-03, 18:22   Link #2473
Matt122005

Yea, it appears that Yen Press really knew what they were doing with their marketing strategy in regard to the Haruhi novels.

According to one blogger, his local bookstore is selling out of their copies, which of course is ALWAYS a good thing, because it means people are actually buying them. lol

Link for those interested: http://ranobecafe.wordpress.com/2009...ruhi-suzimiya/

I personally hope that Yen Press really is able to make "Haruhi" a household name, not only for the sake of the specific series, but also for the sake of ALL light novels.

If Haruhi became succesful, it would be the first light novel to ever have sold well in America.

*keeps fingers crossed*

-Matt lol
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 18:33   Link #2474
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Isn't Hatchette Book Group the one's with the Haruhi novel license or is that a part of Yen Press?

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 18:39   Link #2475
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
Isn't Hatchette Book Group the one's with the Haruhi novel license or is that a part of Yen Press?
Other way around. Yen Press is part of the Hatchette Book Group.
Old 2009-09-03, 18:39   Link #2476
Matt122005

As I understood it, Yen Press holds the license to the novels, but Hatchette is publishing it.

-Matt
Old 2009-09-03, 18:44   Link #2477
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Ah, OK lol. So it's a good thing the big name is willing to put their name on the novels, right? I'm not really a business man but I would think so.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 21:09   Link #2478
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I just hope htat it inspires Tanigawa to continue the novels knowing that he has a secure fanbase in the US.
Old 2009-09-03, 21:31   Link #2479
GDB

I'd need to see actual sales figures to say it has a solid fanbase in America. That blog posted above... I can't quite tell whether it's trying to be sarcastic or if that's just how I'm reading it.

I'm not sure how far apart his trips to Borders are, but he went on some date and there were four copies of Melancholy left. Now, this was all posted August 20th. Melancholy (at least the paperback version he uses as an image) came out April 1st. We have no way of determining how many there were originally, whether it's sold out before, etc.

At some point after that initial awareness of Melancholy, he returned and two of the four copies had either been sold, damaged, or moved to some other place that he couldn't find.

Then, on his most recent trip (again, no way to be sure the time-frame between visits), one of the two remaining copies was sold.

This hardly seems like some sleeper success, resulting in Haruhi becoming a household name. To me, it seems like a sensationalized account of a store selling three copies of a book in some unknown period of time.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 21:42   Link #2480
Matt122005

GDB, In a comment at the bottom of the article, it says there will be a new post tomorrow regarding further new details in regard to sales for the books.

So that might clear up anything you were confused on, maybe.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga