AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-24, 17:54   Link #2801
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Ok. After a near two months of waiting I got the chance to watch the penultimate episode, and, in spite of the backlash that the last episode received, I have to say it was more or less good.

In summary, Truth forced itself to shot the Quartz gun, because he craved more than anything else to stop existing in Ao's universe; he wanted to go into our world in our historical timeline when and where: the Atomic bombings of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki happened, the Cold War between USA and the (former) USSR happened, and Okinawa continues to be a prefecture of Japan.

Ao's reaction became priceless right as the new world came to him flashing before his eyes in a wink.
In the new revised history, the smaller alterations were: Truth was erased from that world's timeline, military personnel stole the IFO relic that Christophe succeeded to capture inside Gen Bleu HQs and teamed with Naru to protect the Scub Coral, the mainstream knowledge is that people accepted or are accepting that the Scub Coral is the villain, and Secrets negotiated with the Allied Forces not to sent any more Secrets now all current threats have either been terminated or tamed in the new world.

For a last pleasant treat, Renton traveled into Ao's time, and he got to reunite with Eureka for a brief while understanding the price of the sacrifice she had to do in their time.
I can finally get to see a proper meeting with both the son and his estranged father in the next episode.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 20:12   Link #2802
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
I said what I think about theEnd earlier so I'll skip this part.
What you're saying is quite understandable. There really were a lot of potential in each of those. Even as they are at the end of episode 24 there still is. Which again leads me to the conclusion that 24 episode weren't enough.

For example - we get Elena's identity. But we don't get anything else. How did Eureka end up there? From what we're told she was there twice- once by mistake and a second to give birth to AO. Why was she there so much earlier and how? She was travelling through time but she was more like a ghost so she couldn't have saved Elena at that point.

The third engine seemed to respond to the feelings of the pilots. And not just any feelings - it seemed to respond only to love (or maybe to when someone you love goes out of your reach possibly forever) But they are machines so how did they do that and why.

It's not that they are abandoned plot threads - there was just not enough time to develop them is such a short time. As ttdestroy said 24 was too short for this.
Agreed, I also think the show was still good, though it went in a different direction than I'd hoped especially in some ways, but they really needed more time to hit all of that properly.

Even if the ending eps managed to cover more than I expected, thinking about it I'm actually a bit surprised we never got complete confirmation that that was what was happening with the Third Engine since it seems quite implied and the most fitting for E7.

Avoiding the main characters since there's plenty of discussion about them, some of many positive random thoughts, my god the soundtrack was simply stunning (track after track of awesome and fitting music, and the action tracks are simply amazing, and I think most E7 fans will love the music of the show), the fantastic visuals definitely delivered, Ivica was an awesome adult character and probably my favorite of the support cast, Rebecca needed more time as I was really getting to like her, Georg the AI was great and the reactions to him were often beautifully hilarious, Noah for a mascot character was incredibly entertaining and often times amusingly useful in a role that more often than not is easy to make annoying and Gazelle and his crew were always fun to watch so I really think if they had been able to further develop the secondary leads to their full potential (Naru, Fleur, Elena, a better Truth/a second real antagonist) they really had something good going that needed more time and/or tweaking. Naru, being the most confusing to me, as I obviously expected her to be more of a "hero" character for obvious reasons, going in a completely different direction and not joining Gen Bleu with Ao, and instead they made her sadly inconsistent, like even they couldn't decide, and not as integral to the overall story as I'd expected and while I still quite liked her at times when she did something good they didn't nail the direction they took her in nearly well enough to justify the direction they took her in regardless of any production reason (writing decisions/flaws, mixed opinions of the staff which way they should take her, ep count, screentime they could afford, whatever). The others like Fleur and Elena I think just needed more time.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-11-25 at 07:04.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 22:15   Link #2803
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well finished this today and it wasnt to bad of an ending but not worth the 2 months for it

6/10 I wanted to see Ao punch Renton in the face like what Ed did to his dad
Old 2012-11-26, 08:59   Link #2804
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

And what, see all the remaining fans go into an absolute frenzy?! Are you perhaps Darker than Bones? XD
Old 2012-11-26, 09:19   Link #2805
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
6/10 I wanted to see Ao punch Renton in the face like what Ed did to his dad
It's 9978 years too early for him to do that
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 01:45   Link #2806
Tyr Valein

Looks like BONES is planning on turning E7 into a whole franchise now. Dunno how much traction it'll have, but they asked us what we want to do next on facebook: A E7AO II, A E7AO Movie, or another E7 series altogether. Can you guess what I voted for?
Tyr Valein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 02:49   Link #2807
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

I seriously hope that it is just a extremely bad joke and they don't intend to that...
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 17:47   Link #2808
ingandeul
What is Apple?

As lackluster as this series was when you come off waiting for almost eternity after the original series, I forgave them due to the incredibly near indescribable epic-ness that was the Seven Swell remix in the last episode. (And being a romantic, minus the circumstances, when Renton and Eureka finally got reunited...I was happy.)

Disappointed in SQE.
ingandeul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 18:03   Link #2809
Raincollie
A certain collie of rain.

Could it be that just the waiting experience between each episode during the original run affected our way of looking at the series somehow? I just watched the whole 24 episodes again with a friend (which is the first run for him) and my opinions have completely changed. That friend likes this sequel a lot, to begin with, but the point is that maybe watching it without having to wait a week between two episodes is a completely different experience?
Raincollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 18:26   Link #2810
Marower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincollie View Post
Could it be that just the waiting experience between each episode during the original run affected our way of looking at the series somehow? I just watched the whole 24 episodes again with a friend (which is the first run for him) and my opinions have completely changed. That friend likes this sequel a lot, to begin with, but the point is that maybe watching it without having to wait a week between two episodes is a completely different experience?
Most likely, since that seems to be the case with the original (or any series). I'm not really sure I would ignore the poor characters and the rubbish plot even if I marathoned it, though

Marower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 18:40   Link #2811
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Even if i could force myself to watch this nonsese again, an absurd story and flat characters will still be absurd and flat.
Just because is decide to eat something horrible in one go instead on doing that piece by piece like how i did in the first time, it still wont change the horrible taste of it. Crap will still be crap.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 23:51   Link #2812
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

As of today, I concluded E7:AO; the last episode with the most infamous ending for so many of the fans out there.

My opinion is that both the development for this episode and the ending itself are not that of an absurd rubbish, as most of the fandom have been posting about.

However, I do agree about one thing that completely left me confused. After Renton explains the true nature and history of the Scub Coral moving from different universes through space and time, in order to avoid the Secrets so as to thrive and prosper, then the whole point of both Renton and Eureka to protect the Scub Corals in the first series either makes no sense or is totally debunked.

It did make sense though that in a distant future with an exceedingly high of both concentration and density of Trapar in Earth's atmosphere, then both of Eureka and Renton's first child ended up dying since the child's configuration of her hybrid cells couldn't take that environment.

At the end of the episode, Ao shoots the Quartz Gun for a final time and supposedly corrects all the Quartz from the timelines with the side-effect of him getting trapped between the streams of time-space flow for a certain amount of time, but, fortunately, ending up in another universe with a time-skip forward difference of two years.
In this latest universe's but new Earth that Ao returned to I presumed that there's scarcely any to no trapaar exists, since again I presumed that in that last universe's Earth no Scub Coral arrival ever happened.
The thing is that finding himself in an environment with even less or virtually no trapaar wouldn't affect Ao's health in some way, though I don't necessarily mean either positive or negatively?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last Thoughts.

I have to say to me this sequel performed itself quite solidly, though the concepts that BONES introduced for this show in order to expand upon the Scub Coral clearly messed up with the first series' developments and established facts about the Scub itself.

Nonetheless, I'm a fan more inclined to ship and root for both Ao and Fleur, since both at first didn't see coming the larger picture from both of thier fathers' actions: Cristophe for Fleur and Renton for Ao. But their friendship on screen whether fighting or confiding between each other in private at a personal level was handled in the most natural manner that made me possible to be immersed in their thoughts.

The soundtrack as well for this show deserves kudos to carry and convey each of the characters' changes of mood whether they found their families, related with each other, or facing peril against the Secrets or the Scubs.

Sixth title I concluded for the past spring 2012 season.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 04:51   Link #2813
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
It did make sense though that in a distant future with an exceedingly high of both concentration and density of Trapar in Earth's atmosphere, then both of Eureka and Renton's first child ended up dying since the child's configuration of her hybrid cells couldn't take that environment.
I am sorry but how the heck does this make sense?
Humans were perfectly capable of living on E7 Earth. Coralians shouldn't have problems with the Trapar that they themselves produce. So how is it logical that the Trapar waves are deadly for a half-human half-coralian child?

Quote:
At the end of the episode, Ao shoots the Quartz Gun for a final time and supposedly corrects all the Quartz from the timelines with the side-effect of him getting trapped between the streams of time-space flow for a certain amount of time, but, fortunately, ending up in another universe with a time-skip forward difference of two years.
In this latest universe's but new Earth that Ao returned to I presumed that there's scarcely any to no trapaar exists, since again I presumed that in that last universe's Earth no Scub Coral arrival ever happened.
The thing is that finding himself in an environment with even less or virtually no trapaar wouldn't affect Ao's health in some way, though I don't necessarily mean either positive or negatively?
From my understanding, Ao only shot the Iwato Island's Scub Coral, so that Eureka doesn't fall on Earth for the second time and Naru never becomes a Coral carrier. So the Trapar waves still exist on AO's Earth.

It was the whole point of the debate between Ao and Renton, wasn't it? That erasing all of the Scub bursts was wrong because the modified timeline has the right to exist.

What doesn't make sense is that Ao himself still exists on that Earth. I can only conclude that being in the Neo-Nirvash, he was removed from the flow of time.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 12:54   Link #2814
Alchemist007
*Author

I'll be waiting to see how a new series turns out before watching AO at all. I was afraid of these types of things happening, and since Dai Satou said he was done with their story, perhaps I could be as well. I'll see how things turn out, but for now AO doesn't matter to me.
Old 2012-12-05, 14:45   Link #2815
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincollie View Post
I have recently watched both Eureka Seven and Eureka Seven AO one after the other in a few days. So I can give you my insight as someone that never had to wait between the many episodes.

Basically Eureka Seven was in my backlog for a long time, Someone recommended it but I basically knew nothing about it, not even the main characters. In the end I've watched everything without ever being influenced by any external opinions.

So I had absolutely no idea that there were people raging about AO, I just learned it yesterday.

I guess I didn't quite care about the many shortcomings of AO, because I didn't think the original series was that great either. It suffers from basically all the symptoms of the syndrome that affects anime with more than 26 episodes.
To keep the interest alive authors either create situations that get dragged for months without resolutions, or put you through a roller coaster where resolutions and drama alternate constantly, making you think "but weren't we through that already?"
The relationship between Renton and Eureka is a mix of both.
Eureka then was an incredibly inconsistent character. It may be that it's part of the plot since she is supposed to "change", but it was jarring nonetheless. She was a cold killer machine at first, then a strong willed Rei (I'll do everything that Holland tells me), then she goes in depression mode, then she turns deredere but she doesn't want to kill anyone anymore.
Being used to all of that, I wasn't really fazed by a yet completely different Eureka in AO.

But the worst part of Eureka seven were the last episodes, so many bad conceived twists and ass pulls, really rubbed me the wrong way. Holland somehow acquires a completely robotic... robot, suddenly without any previous mention. They throw in an ad-hoc justification as to why they were never used before (it's bad for your health!). Holland seems to be on verge on death at one point, but two days later he is perfectly all right, okay.

Anemone change of heart was also way too sudden to my liking. Dominic believes he can stop her even if he's always been treated like shit by her until that point. But well, Anemone conveniently realizes she loves him by herself right at the most crucial moment. They are suddenly a happy couple ready for marriage.

Then you get Dewey who somehow managed to fuse with a compac drive, even if he isn't a monk or anything and even if hundreds failed and died. How did he manage that? When did he do that? How come simply with that he can become a human switch to trigger armaggedon? How does that even work? And why did Bear know?

Additionally the setting of the story to me wasn't even anything particularly original. Being a long time fan of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, I had so many deja-vu that it isn't even funny. I don't know if the authors of Eureka Seven took inspiration from that, if they both have a common source that I don't know of, or if it's just a coincedence. The point is that if you replace scub corals with fungi it's basically the same thing.

Considering all the above you should forgive me if I wasn't surprised to see certain flaws in AO. There's no clear explanation as to why the sons of Eureka and Renton die when exposed to high concentration of trapars? As if that was the biggest of my problems. I didn't even care about such things anymore when I reached that part.

But there's one thing that I agree with everyone else. The characters in AO are very weak, especially Fleur and Elena, who are supposed to be pretty important. If there's one thing that the original series had, were very interesting and powerful characters, and that is why in spite of everything that I said, I can say that I have in fact enjoyed Eureka Seven. I wish the story was a little more solid, but in the end it was an enjoyable show and I'm not really regretting to have watched it.

AO seems to be made by completely different persons (and maybe it actually was, I haven't checked) so it has a completely different feel to it. Basically everything that was peculiar and "original" in the previous series is missing in its successor. The strange alien world, the surfer and rave culture, the "family" dynamics in the gekkou. All that is gone.

AO still has some advantages, such as the fact it didn't give me the feeling that things were dragged too much for the sake of it. The political dynamics were also somehow better structured than in its predecessor, but that's because they are based on a real world, so they didn't need to came up with entirely new situations.

In the end I consider AO a mediocre anime. It isn't particularly exceptional but it isn't something horrible either. It's on the norm, and I've definitely seen much worse. However I think it would have been better if it was a spiritual successor and not a sequel as I thought it was since the beginning.

The two stories do not mash up well together, and not just because of certain canonical inconsistencies, but mainly because they have two completely different atmospheres.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2012-12-05 at 23:08.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 13:00   Link #2816
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
AO seems to be made by completely different persons (and maybe it actually was, I haven't checked) so it has a completely different feel to it. Basically everything that was peculiar and "original" in the previous series is missing in its successor. The strange alien world, the surfer and rave culture, the "family" dynamics in the gekkou. All that is gone.

The two stories do not mash up well together, and not just because of certain canonical inconsistencies, but mainly because they have two completely different atmospheres.
While I generally agree with everything else in your review, I really feel you hit the nail on the head with these two statements.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 00:05   Link #2817
seiftis
~defying fate

From the 1st ep of AO, I was hoping that it'd show Talho's kid in the sequel. But none.

And yeah +1 on that it has completely different atmosphere. Quite disappointing.
Old 2012-12-08, 01:22   Link #2818
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Humans were perfectly capable of living on E7 Earth. Coralians shouldn't have problems with the Trapar that they themselves produce. So how is it logical that the Trapar waves are deadly for a half-human half-coralian child?

Dude, its obvious, the whole death of the sister due to trappar bullshit was just an asspull because they couldn't think of a decent motivation for Renton and the plot. . .it's obvious that the writers who thought of it did not watch the first show in its entirety or if they did they didn't really remember much of it. Since it was an obvious money grab milking a successful anime franchise. Never mind that the asspull TOTALLY demolishes the "love conquers all" theme that was present with Renton and Eureka during the WHOLE damn first anime . . I just ...whatever, this shit shouldn't have been made. There was space for a sequel and for conflict based on the end of the first series, AND they could have brought ALL of the characters back (who didn't die)AND they could have brought Gonzy back too...I'm referring to the whole line where the scubs say that they will eventually have to return or something like that. That's HUGE! There was no reason to throw out the whole first series for a money grab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Eureka seven had problems. . .

Oh yeah dude, Everyone knows that E7 had some Problems, but the sheer atmosphere the show created, the fresh youth feeling, the "love conquers all" themes, the "boy growing up, learning about the world and becoming a man" and the setting, the surfing on the air, the feeling that you get when Renton overcomes a lot of issues, and the characters grow and develop properly combined with the music that was obviously heavily woven in the narrative of the story, and not just hollow background music or music that shoots "cry now this is sad" Also the time spent with the crew and characters (which was a lot) made you feel like you were really apart of the world and then came the Charles and ray arc. . .EVEN THOUGH it was contrived (and it was seriously) that didn't matter, it served to help Renton, AND Holland/Talho grow.

All of that and more that I didnt mention FAR surpasses the problems that the show had, by far.

AO on the other hand. . .its like they did everything wrong, the fucked up wanna be social commentary that was totally insulting, the disjointed feeling of the story and show not knowing what it really wants to be, and the fact that we really didn't spend much time with the charaters, and when we did the writers would change them nearly at every episode *coughNARUthechildhoodfriendgirlfriendenemyntrbait ingfakeelfnowfriendsagainwiththemcbutthenbetraysth emcagainonlytobeFINALLYbussedattheend*cough*

"conveniently" Bussing team goldilocks because the writters realized that they really didnt have enough time to develop them

Truth (no comment needed there, he was just 100% bad)

I could go on and on and on, and I'm not even talking about the super asspulls of the plot!

If these show was named something else, It would go the way of "K" which would be no one caring about it to even talk about it. . .or summed up in one word "meh" but since this show is pretty much riding off the coatails of its successor, It's got big shoes to fill, and when it turns out to not even be a mediocre show, (seriously its like one level above guilty crown ffs)it becomes obvious that they didn't care enough and just wanted to milk a cash cow. . .and that is a disservice.

I REALLY hope they dont do a sequel of steins gate. . . I can't trust the industry to make any good sequels after FAM and AO

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2012-12-08 at 01:42.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 03:33   Link #2819
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post

I REALLY hope they dont do a sequel of steins gate. . . I can't trust the industry to make any good sequels after FAM and AO
It's funny, because the "sequel" of steins;gate is airing this very season. It's called robotics;note. Though the main characters and the focus are different, it's set on the same timeline where s;g ended and there is a certain character from s;g that returns.

Basically that's more or less the same relation that exists between E7 and AO.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 10:19   Link #2820
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Humans were perfectly capable of living on E7 Earth. Coralians shouldn't have problems with the Trapar that they themselves produce. So how is it logical that the Trapar waves are deadly for a half-human half-coralian child? :confused.
The breeding of two different species is always a risky affair. We don't fully know how E7 humans were perfectly capable of living in those conditions but it's not hard to believe that that their immune systems adapted to dealing with higher concentrations of trapar. If you try and mix a biological system which recognises trapar as a xenobiotic with one that doesn't need to worry about trapar at all and possibly even produces it's own amount of trapar (Trapar is the metabolic product) then you're bound to come across issues.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen