AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-10, 19:04   Link #21
Zakoo

fock yeah, best first episode in a show I have seen for years, the graphisms are very well done, Kotoura is somehow cute, and the seiyu are perfect.

Even that baka manabe kun has a good baka hentai attitude, a good male lead.

10/10, no above 10, somehow it's + infinity!
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:08   Link #22
Elestia

Not bad first episode, although the introduction about Koutora's problem dragged on for way too long.
Old 2013-01-10, 19:13   Link #23
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Starting off the 1st ep with such a heavy, depressing atmosphere really bowled me over. I'm expecting some kind of comedy, and they start it off like that. After that lady got rid of the cat, I was only wishing that somebody, ANYBODY, would give her a hug =0(. I don't think I've ever been won over on a 1st ep like this since....I can't remember when .

The dynamic relationship that starts off between Kotoura and Manabe is compassionate, yet entertaining in a funny way. Manabe really reminded me of Inukami's Keita; generally funny and silly, but strongly kind and understanding(minus the extreme pervertedness =03). I think such a character is perfect for penetrating Kotoura's defenses and insecurities, and is able to give her the companionship she needs and deserves.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:14   Link #24
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Totally agreed frubam ... very effective first ep indeed!

Am so happy the series delivered like it has, and only hope that it will be able to keep things up! ^_^
Old 2013-01-10, 19:52   Link #25
Theo

I'm gonna be real disappointed if they just go for cliche comedy nonsense and don't elaborate or develop the grimdark stuff or develop the characters from this point on.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:55   Link #26
Midonin
Last Engage

Making people laugh is just as difficult as making someone cry, so what's with the bias against comedy? A comedy can still explore the issues brought up in the first episode, it'll just do it in a different way.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:57   Link #27
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

wow
didnt expect the first half to be that depressing story

I saw the mother is in OP so I hope Kotoura can rebuild her relationship with her

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:01   Link #28
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Allow me to join the chorus. Great first episode. The sadness pierced me to the bone. Excellent work by Kanemoto Hisako as Kotoura.

The only hint for me that this was by the director of Minami-ke and Mitsudomoe was the Mitsudomoe-like character design. I didn't enjoy the few episodes I watched of either of those, but the nice flow and feeling here made me think I might have missed something.

I thought this was going to star Fukuyama Jun. It turned out to be Fukushima Jun, who has been doing voice work for 14 years, but hasn't done that many roles.

The OP by Nakajima Megumi was okay, but I loved the ED, for which no credits were given. I wonder who sings it?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:19   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Without a doubt the best premiere of the season (along with Ohta-sensei's alumnus, Minami-ke Tadaima). Directors really do make all the difference.

And yes, you did miss something with Mitsudomoe! I didn't like the premiere either, and grew to love both seasons. Hilarious and even occasionally touching.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:20   Link #30
kitten320

Oh wow, those were very depressing first 10 minutes. I felt like smacking several head there!

Though Kotoura should have tried to change her approach once she realized what she can do... try to ignore the thoughts. Hard thing to do but worth a try instead of just pushing everyone away.

Nice comedy though I do hope that we still will get some heavy moments. Like that we will have a nicely balanced show.
If only designs were slightly better...
Old 2013-01-10, 20:23   Link #31
Itlandm
Porcupine

And then suddenly... TUMBLEWEED!

I intend to follow this one very closely for a while. It has potential. Not my type of character design, but storytelling is good so far. Things are developing very quickly, but I assume their relationship will be sidelined by the group dynamics starting next episode.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:29   Link #32
Theo

...at least for the first ten minutes.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:50   Link #33
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Cheers to the best first episode I've seen in the last two seasons yet.

The question now is: how will this show follow up? The first episode set an amazing first impression, but I can't help but feel that it'll be a very tough act to follow, especially since the focus of the show is apparently going to be on comedy from here on.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:00   Link #34
Aesthetic Shampoo

Without a doubt the best first episode of the season. I'll be disappointed if there's only comedy from here on out, we all want the drama the first 10 minutes gave us and hopefully they'll deliver.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:09   Link #35
finalfury
Incognito

It's been a while since an anime surpassed my expectations to the extent that it became a 12 episode must weekly watch anime than a anime i would watch if i was really bored.
Anime logic tells me that the parents will come back later in the show and the drama that plagued the first 10 minutes of the anime will come back.
Manabe, please yell at the parents when/if they come back and end it with a "Please let me marry your daughter" line and that will be the epic LOL of the season for me.
finalfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:19   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The drama in the first half is extremely effective but undeniably it's played pretty broadly. But there's a subtler message behind it, and that's the fact that the reason Kotoura-san is such an outcast is because of the gap that exists between people's desires and what they say and do. Of course no one likes to be reminded of that gap, and that makes Kotoura a threat.

Enter Manabe. If I would describe him in one word, it would be "transparent". He says what he means and he's not ashamed of his thoughts (even the ecchi ones) and that makes Kotoura no threat to him. She's like Diogenes, searching with a lamp for an honest man for her entire life - and now she's found one. That's a fascinating basis around which to build a romance.
Old 2013-01-10, 21:41   Link #37
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The drama in the first half is extremely effective but undeniably it's played pretty broadly. But there's a subtler message behind it, and that's the fact that the reason Kotoura-san is such an outcast is because of the gap that exists between people's desires and what they say and do. Of course no one likes to be reminded of that gap, and that makes Kotoura a threat.

Enter Manabe. If I would describe him in one word, it would be "transparent". He says what he means and he's not ashamed of his thoughts (even the ecchi ones) and that makes Kotoura no threat to him. She's like Diogenes, searching with a lamp for an honest man for her entire life - and now she's found one. That's a fascinating basis around which to build a romance.
Agreed Enzo, exactly what I was thinking - and well expressed.
Old 2013-01-10, 22:05   Link #38
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

actually the problem is not the mind reading ability
just kotoura cant shut her mouth

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:07   Link #39
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
actually the problem is not the mind reading ability
just kotoura cant shut her mouth
Not so easy when she is a child.... :\

But yeah ... I was thinking so too. But maybe later it was a mini way she could somehow defend herself and/or protect herself.....
Old 2013-01-10, 22:11   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kotoura isn’t just an esper, she’s also naïve and honest – perhaps as a direct result of her ability, she initially sees no reason why what people think shouldn’t be what they project to the world. It’s the truth, so why hide it?

That, of course, makes Manabe an even more perfect match.

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy