AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-06, 20:38   Link #21
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I think a really big problem with the licensing and sales of Utena had to do with the glacially slow pace of release and the unfortunate timing of the movie release. The series at one time had a loyal overseas following but the series was licensed one chunk at a time and slowly doled out over a period of years. Releasing the movie before the completion of the series was a bad idea. People who were introduced to the title via the movie were subjected to something that made no sense to them.

If Marimite is licensed it should be licensed now, while people are interested in it. If half the episodes were released by the end of this year I think the series would sell pretty well.

I enjoyed the short "naisho" feature very much. The humor is similar to that of the manga, which I also enjoy.
Old 2004-04-08, 21:47   Link #22
Yakumae
Queen of the Gum-Gums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
There's a Option C

If you are a hard-core Super-Robot Wars, anti-localization of Gundam, or just want the many anime-based PS2 games--buy a Japanese PS2, I recommend the latest model, the 50000s

And of course, with the many games available to you, you get to watch R-2 DVDs

WAIT !!! There is an OPTION D as well! If you have an Region 1 (American) PS2, you can get a Game Shark, and that will let you play Region 2 DVDs on your PS2.
Old 2004-04-09, 06:57   Link #23
atua

I can't believe no one has mentioned this already; but there's an OPTION E, and that's firmware flashing your existing DVD-ROM drive. If there's hacked firmware out there for your drive, then all it'll cost is a few minutes of your time and the cost of downloading a small file. However, firmware flashing does void your warranty for the drive, so I'd only recommend this option for the technically proficient.
Old 2004-04-10, 14:29   Link #24
Ialdaboth

OPTION F : use VideoLAN client. But it won't allow you to play Super Robot Taisen ^^

If you are under Linux, Xine + libdecss works great. Better interface and quality than VLC.

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2004-04-10 at 15:33.
Old 2004-04-25, 14:27   Link #25
Blaat

Option G: Buy an west European DVD player (probably alot cheaper), just because Japan is on the other side of the world doesn't mean they're not in the same region
Old 2004-04-26, 13:43   Link #26
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
Option G: Buy an west European DVD player (probably alot cheaper), just because Japan is on the other side of the world doesn't mean they're not in the same region
Yes, the UK and Japan share the same region. One problem still remains: UK is PAL, Japan is NTSC.
Old 2004-04-26, 21:38   Link #27
Honkie_McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Yes, the UK and Japan share the same region. One problem still remains: UK is PAL, Japan is NTSC.
Well, when you're buying your Western European DVD player, you might as well get a matching TV to go with it.
Old 2004-04-27, 02:33   Link #28
Göönk
Macross fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie_McGee
Well, when you're buying your Western European DVD player, you might as well get a matching TV to go with it.
my 12 years old tv can manage all those formats (PAL, NTSC), and, in addition, the SECAM which rules France. So, nowadays TV must be able to handle those formats. Watch for DVD player you can dezone. My LG was dezoned by pressing 5 keys on the remote control...
Old 2004-05-15, 01:18   Link #29
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

I have just received the collector edition of Marimite vol 1,2 and 3.
There are not many extras. The poster is like an advertisement poster. The packaging is not bad like a deluxe Laser Disc package, but really, there is no extras whatsoever.

The good news is that they will release "Maria-sama niwa naisho" for every volume.
So It's not bad to have a little smile while waiting for 2nd Season

Do not open this!
Spoiler:

Last edited by SleeplessHeart; 2004-05-15 at 12:09.
Old 2004-05-15, 11:25   Link #30
atua

SleeplessHeart, thanks so much for posting those pics. They're just unbearably cute. Let's hope Lililicious will sub this lot of outtakes as well.
Old 2004-05-15, 12:48   Link #31
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I doubt that it is ever going to be licensed because well, series like this just doesn’t sell here. Look at how miserable Revolutionary girl Utena’s sale in US and I heard that it was fairly popular in Japan. So far, the fan base for this series here seems to be small too.

Not every anime buyer is a rabid action fan who's into jiggly bits, pneumonic (eh... I'm using the wrong word here...) women, and blood... It just seems that way. Shoujo, at least before I left, seemed to be on the rise. There's hope that someone will pick up - or have already picked up but hadn't announced yet - the title.

Quote:
3000 Yen = ~29 USD for one ep?
Yup. R2 discs, esp. given the number of episodes per disc, are expensive, but their qualities, I feel, are very good.

You might also be able to pick up a used disc if no R1 release comes, you want to pick up a R2 disc desperately, and your... financial situation improves. Sites like Anime Jungle sell both new and used discs.

Shipping to the U.S., though, might kill your wallet even with the discount.
Old 2004-05-18, 00:10   Link #32
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
[/size][/font]

Not every anime buyer is a rabid action fan who's into jiggly bits, pneumonic (eh... I'm using the wrong word here...) women, and blood... It just seems that way. Shoujo, at least before I left, seemed to be on the rise. There's hope that someone will pick up - or have already picked up but hadn't announced yet - the title.
Actually, I was referring to lesbian subtext. That’s why Revolutionary girl Utena is my example. Shoujo series is on the rise but the ones with lesbian subtext are still very rare. Perhaps it’s because they don’t sell well here.

Anyway, I bought the R2 DVD, still waiting.
Old 2004-05-18, 00:50   Link #33
atua

I don't think the poor sales can really be just attributed to the lesbian subtext. I've come across many posters on various anime forums who viewed the relationship between Utena/Anthy as strictly friendship. If anything the incest/pedophilia subtext would put off more people I think.

Utena is the kind of series that rely heavily on visual symbolism and metaphor and isn't really the kind of show that generally appeal to US mainstream audiences. CPM's terrible release schedule didn't do sales any favours either.
Old 2004-05-18, 01:17   Link #34
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua
I don't think the poor sales can really be just attributed to the lesbian subtext. I've come across many posters on various anime forums who viewed the relationship between Utena/Anthy as strictly friendship. If anything the incest/pedophilia subtext would put off more people I think.

Utena is the kind of series that rely heavily on visual symbolism and metaphor and isn't really the kind of show that generally appeal to US mainstream audiences. CPM's terrible release schedule didn't do sales any favours either.
I am aware of all the controversial issues and symbolism in Utena. I myself am not sure what kind of relationship they have. Actually, most people consider that they are just friends. But that’s not the point. I just gave a bad example. The point being, the ones with lesbian subtext are still very rare.

I would love to see this series licensed, really.
Old 2004-05-19, 03:13   Link #35
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
The second installment of the Na-I-Sho! omake series is up^^ (in .ogm) So hilarious --I didn't really get the screenshots above until I saw it animated
Old 2004-05-20, 05:30   Link #36
Mr.Minou

yeah I just watched it...man it was hilarious
Old 2004-05-23, 15:24   Link #37
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
Quote:
If anything the incest/pedophilia subtext would put off more people I think.
rofl, are you talking about Marimite? I never would have thought of it as having incest/pedophilia subtext, but when I think about it you're right . I don't know why but that just strikes me as hilarious.

Incest certainly hasn't stopped anyone, though. Angel Sanctuary and the Hitsuji no Uta manga are both licensed.
Old 2004-05-24, 04:37   Link #38
atua

Umm, I was actually referring to Utena. But now that I've had time to rethink about what you said, I suppose there's a certain "incest" element within the rose families' situations...

Last edited by atua; 2004-05-24 at 08:39.
Old 2004-05-24, 13:08   Link #39
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
The second installment of the Na-I-Sho! omake series is up^^ (in .ogm) So hilarious --I didn't really get the screenshots above until I saw it animated

What is .ogm? I have it downloaded, but it wont play on any of my applications...I have Divx, Quick Time, Real One, and MusicMatch Jukebox. What do I need to be able to watch, please?
Old 2004-05-24, 18:27   Link #40
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'd suggest that you read our Media Configuration Guide for help with the question. If you still need help, then please ask this question in the Playback Help Forum. Just don't request playback help here because it is off-topic.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread