AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-01, 06:08   Link #1061
Azuma Denton
~AD~

And why does Chie doesnt use her Bufu skill to counter Agi in eps 4?? O.o
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 06:13   Link #1062
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
because it wil make the fight too easy. it like ask why izanagi and Jiraiya doesn't use zio and garu all over the fight instead of just finishing blow.
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 06:21   Link #1063
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
It's simple answer, if you played the game. She learns bufu at level 7 and her persona starts at lvl 6, seeing that she used her persona for the first time against S. Yukiko, i assume she did not kill enough monsters to level up
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 06:52   Link #1064
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Actually I think it's because they're trying not to make it seem like they're use the same tactics over again, like the first two bosses they exploit weakness follow by an all out attack for the second boss, now they want to try to 'nullify/negate' the Boss' power.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 07:00   Link #1065
hyl
reading #hikaributts

S. Yukiko does not have a weakness at all in the game, so it did not matter.
The only thing nonsensical was that the MC already having jack lantern/pyro jack, a persona that shows up much later in the game that even has absorb fire.

edit: ice doesn't seem to counter fire too much in the game. In fact it's Chie's persona that's weak for fire
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 09:19   Link #1066
bayoab

Quote:
Agi and bufu aren't true opposites in Persona. No element really counters another. It's all about strengths and weaknesses.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 09:48   Link #1067
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Agi and bufu aren't true opposites in Persona. No element really counters another. It's all about strengths and weaknesses.
True, though I find that enemies with certain strengths usually have a common weakness.
Old 2011-11-01, 19:07   Link #1068
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
True, though I find that enemies with certain strengths usually have a common weakness.
You'd think so, as we learnt from things like Pokemon, but in the P4 game, some of the strength and weaknesses made no sense whatsoever. Monsters with the exact same model (just palette swapped) in different dungeons would have completely different and unrelated strengths and weaknesses from eachother.

Some bosses just didn't make any sense either. Like Shadow Chie was weak to wind and strong to nothing. So unfortunately there's no patterns you can follow for strengths and weaknesses in P4.
Old 2011-11-01, 20:24   Link #1069
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
You'd think so, as we learnt from things like Pokemon, but in the P4 game, some of the strength and weaknesses made no sense whatsoever. Monsters with the exact same model (just palette swapped) in different dungeons would have completely different and unrelated strengths and weaknesses from eachother.

Some bosses just didn't make any sense either. Like Shadow Chie was weak to wind and strong to nothing. So unfortunately there's no patterns you can follow for strengths and weaknesses in P4.
I'm basing this on my experience with P3P when you see an enemy use a certain elements, you can make an educated guess what their weakness is/are, heck sometimes the colours are enough clues. I think it was...

ice > lightning > wind > Fire > ice

But like you've said, most enemies later have rather random strength and weakness.
Old 2011-11-01, 20:25   Link #1070
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah sometimes the weaknesses and strengths seem weird, but what can you do...other than take advantage of them .

Though maybe since Chie's persona is carrying around a huge weapon she should use it. I mean sure kicking everything has worked alright, but kind of a waste .
Old 2011-11-01, 22:17   Link #1071
majestix1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
because it wil make the fight too easy. it like ask why izanagi and Jiraiya doesn't use zio and garu all over the fight instead of just finishing blow.
or her Persona never intended to cast bufu spell because in game properties(her Persona mostly Physical Offensive skill Type Persona thats why i love her on party) and chances of "leveling up" will lost if the main character doesnt help alot~ on the series
Old 2011-11-02, 04:26   Link #1072
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

For elemental properties in persona, I think its fire versus ice, wind vs lightning, light versus dark but that gets thrown out quickly as a lot of persona have a wild variety resistance.

So fair so good, glad that Yu is able to use multiple persona as it was ingame and most of shadow yukiko's scene animated.
Old 2011-11-02, 07:56   Link #1073
Rethice
Kingslayer

Finally watched episode 4.

I'm really surprised they spent an entire episode on Yukiko's shadow. After the ridiculously fast pacing of episode 1, they've really slowed things down now. I think I like it at this speed. I actually got to understand Yukiko's struggle better than I did from the game. From the game it seemed like such a cop-out of a "secret", but it made more sense with the flashbacks and the hard yuri tension between Chie and Yukiko.

The fight scenes were sub-par, but I wouldn't expect anything more from a JRPG adaption. And seriously, what's with all the kicking, Chie? You've got a freakin Glaive there! Use it!

Anyway, this series is getting much better from my initial frothing rage at episode 1.

Maybe that's just because of low expectations though.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:59   Link #1074
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I'm sorry, hard yuri tension? where?
Old 2011-11-02, 13:59   Link #1075
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Probably those scene when Yukiko hugs Chie? Not to mention that Yukiko always calling Chie as her 'Knight'

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 18:16   Link #1076
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I remember a time where girls could just be friends.... -_-
Old 2011-11-02, 18:49   Link #1077
Rethice
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I remember a time where girls could just be friends.... -_-
You wouldn't be assuming they were "just friends" if the exact same flash backs and dialogue were exchanged between Narukami and Yosuke.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:00   Link #1078
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I'm sorry, hard yuri tension? where?
The subs I had for Persona 4 Episode 4 had Yukiko calling Chie her "Prince" over and over again. Or, at least, that's what emo doppelganger Yukiko was calling Chie.

It's by no means the thickest yuri subtext I've seen between two girls in an anime, but it's thick enough that it's hard for me to view their relationship through a purely platonic lens.

Honestly, for this yuri fan, Chie/Yukiko moments were the highlights of Persona 4 Episode 4.

When one girl calls another girl her "prince", that's a pretty big yuri hint for me.

I'm not sure if that'll go anywhere (I never played the Persona 4 game) but I like it.

On the whole, Persona 4 is a decent shonen show for me. It's funny, because I know some that praise it a lot, and I know some that hate it a lot, but for me, it's just a solid, decent, shonen action-adventure story. The main trio is really starting to grow on me, and the visuals are good enough.

However, Persona 4 is also a bit episodic and formulaic at the moment.

The emo doppelganger approach, while interesting at first, is going to get old if it's used for much longer, imo. It's a nice way to mix action in with character development, but it can get tiresome if relied on too much. Hope the anime changes things up a bit soon.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:10   Link #1079
Rethice
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The subs I had for Persona 4 Episode 4 had Yukiko calling Chie her "Prince" over and over again. Or, at least, that's what emo doppelganger Yukiko was calling Chie.

It's by no means the thickest yuri subtext I've seen between two girls in an anime, but it's thick enough that it's hard for me to view their relationship through a purely platonic lens.

Honestly, for this yuri fan, Chie/Yukiko moments were the highlights of Persona 4 Episode 4.

When one girl calls another girl her "prince", that's a pretty big yuri hint for me.

I'm not sure if that'll go anywhere (I never played the Persona 4 game) but I like it.

On the whole, Persona 4 is a decent shonen show for me. It's funny, because I know some that praise it a lot, and I know some that hate it a lot, but for me, it's just a solid, decent, shonen action-adventure story. The main trio is really starting to grow on me, and the visuals are good enough.

However, Persona 4 is also a bit episodic and formulaic at the moment.

The emo doppelganger approach, while interesting at first, is going to get old if it's used for much longer, imo. It's a nice way to mix action in with character development, but it can get tiresome if relied on too much. Hope the anime changes things up a bit soon.
I think the reason it seems so clear to me is that it wasn't there at all in the game. They didn't go into the flashbacks or the touching dialogue between Yukiko and Chie in the game, it was just Yukiko putting out a general request for a "Prince" to save her. If anything, the game implies that the Prince is the MC, not Chie.

Not saying I have anything wrong with this, but it does change a lot of the relationship "shipping" that is made likely in the game.

To me, it seemed like Chie x Yosouke was an obvious pairing, while it was always unclear whether MC would be with Yukiko or Rise. Throwing Chie x Yukiko in the mix as the likely result changes everything!

And again, referring to "that" smirk Narukami gave Yosuke in episode one, we might have a fullhouse of same-gender relationiships.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:17   Link #1080
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The "prince" thing was in the game as well, so I'm not really surprised about it.

Also, why the hell are people calling the shadow selves "emo" when none of them seen so far even fit the description of what "emo" even means? They're just the personifications of the negative qualities that make up the character's personalities.

And no you're not going to see an end to the shadow selves anytime soon, it's a plot device that's central to the Persona series. (Though only P2 and P4 have used them physically so far, P1 and P3 used variations of them.)

Tags
action, fantasy