Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-14, 02:58   Link #101
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I guess I'll be the sourpuss who thinks Genshiken has tilted a little bit too far from what I enjoyed about it originally.

I mean, this generation is all women ('cept what's his face who'll probably have about 15 lines all season, again).
I know what you mean, i had a hard time adjusting while reading the manga - Genshiken isn't the same without Madarame and Saki imo.
But stick with it, the guys will get to appear more, especially Madarame, whose story is not over yet.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 04:10   Link #102
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

this legs should be considered a crime...in many ways
Old 2013-07-14, 05:26   Link #103
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I am sold... the second episode was awesome, everything I hoped from Genshiken... the new girls (and that one super-hot "guy") are so damn interesting

PS:.. and yeah I get the complains about Oono and Chukichi (or however is that guy called), but the story is not about them anymore... it's like complaining that Yui@EVA not having a fitting VA
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 07:34   Link #104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I guess I'll be the sourpuss who thinks Genshiken has tilted a little bit too far from what I enjoyed about it originally.

I mean, this generation is all women ('cept what's his face who'll probably have about 15 lines all season, again). This feels like the type of pandering something like K-ON does.

Oh well, there are still some laughs to be had.
I truly believe this is a function of the way anime/manga fandom has changed. There was a time otaku would watch anime about guys like themselves - now, otaku only want to watch guys if they're traps, punching bags or impossibly bland and generic place-holders for harems. With no built-in audience for a show like the original Genshiken, you get a show about fujoshi instead, hoping otaku will watch it and there might be enough fujoshi with more self-awareness than otaku willing to watch a series about people like them.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 08:43   Link #105
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Ack, KugaP's voice change actually did bug me. It's too deep and cool sounding.
Tanaka doesn't bug me at all, even though I really loved Seki's voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post

this legs should be considered a crime...in many ways
I have a figure of the scene stuck on my fridge.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-07-14 at 08:56.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 10:34   Link #106
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I truly believe this is a function of the way anime/manga fandom has changed. There was a time otaku would watch anime about guys like themselves - now, otaku only want to watch guys if they're traps, punching bags or impossibly bland and generic place-holders for harems. With no built-in audience for a show like the original Genshiken, you get a show about fujoshi instead, hoping otaku will watch it and there might be enough fujoshi with more self-awareness than otaku willing to watch a series about people like them.
I think they're pushing it, but to be honest it seems to be the theme of this summer's anime lineup. I'm pretty much done with this show now. Just isn't interesting. I am hoping the 3rd episode is an improvement.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 13:53   Link #107
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
And if it's not obvious, the girls were supposed to be drunk during the sleep-over scene, but this being Japan broadcasters can show underage girls naked but not drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stassy View Post
That is too bad the previous scene was partially "censored" because this is a clue to one of the character's age as they couldn't have bought alcohol in the supermarket due to that restriction.
I noticed that too, that in the manga they'd bought beer. You mean to say that first years at Japanese universities aren't allowed to drink? That's just bad and wrong!
Being a university student is all about drinking!!!

(... and that's why i got a third...)
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 13:57   Link #108
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So this show isn't going to be any more than about a fujoshi group? That's a little disappointing: I like the comedy but this can only go so far and it's a massive waste of potential to leave it at just this. I agree with Enzo: The medium is severely lacking in anime where dudes can just be dudes.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 15:47   Link #109
DidCart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
If you care to look at the official pamphlet on the history of Comic Market, you'll see that women participation was in 40 percentile already back in 80's. So I find your assessment of female otaku being a rarity only 10 years back somewhat faulty.

EDIT: Just checked it again. Actually, it's the other way around. In 2004, circles attending Comic Market consisted 71% women, 29% men. This has been changing in favor of men, they were up to 40% in 2009. To have women participate in such circles shouldn't surprise anyone. Link.
Yeah, that's the data. But if you think about manga and anime clubs there's no doubt about the rate of men and women.

And bigger then the gender, what changed the most was the style of the otaku fandom. They're not anymore people that don't have social skills or don't take care of ther health or beauty. And, above all, they aren't that much ashamed of their hobby.

But talking about last episode, no doubt it was awesome.
Again they are covering two chapters of the manga and doing it with precision. Okay, the Yajima's room scene was supposed to have booze in it... but it's an understandable cut. Mostly if you consider that they're underage.

Again, a great episode.

The only thing that keeps getting on my nerves is Ohno's new voice. It doesn't fit the character at all!

On the other hand, I'm now ok with Ogiue's new voice. The voice actor did a pretty good job this episode.

Last edited by Solace; 2013-07-14 at 17:18. Reason: Manga spoilers aren't allowed even under tags.
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 15:49   Link #110
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I have a figure of the scene stuck on my fridge.
so what is under...you know
Old 2013-07-14, 17:03   Link #111
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So this show isn't going to be any more than about a fujoshi group? That's a little disappointing: I like the comedy but this can only go so far and it's a massive waste of potential to leave it at just this. I agree with Enzo: The medium is severely lacking in anime where dudes can just be dudes.
No, just like ALL of Kio Shimoku's work dating back to The 4th Grade, 5th Grade, or the more recent Jigo-Pri, this is going to focus on social relationships as well as coming to terms with own's identity. Genshiken has always used the otaku-circle backdrop as simply a plot environment to characterize the human relationships, and that has not changed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
so what is under...you know
Alas, I cannot lift off the plastic skirt, as hard as I may try.
Old 2013-07-14, 20:04   Link #112
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidCart View Post
Yeah, that's the data. But if you think about manga and anime clubs there's no doubt about the rate of men and women.
Genshiken is a circle that publishes stuff on Comic Market as well. So that data is very relevant to it.

Quote:
And bigger then the gender, what changed the most was the style of the otaku fandom. They're not anymore people that don't have social skills or don't take care of ther health or beauty. And, above all, they aren't that much ashamed of their hobby.
Can you please stop spewing random unverified trivia about Japanese fandom that you don't even know for sure it is correct? What you say is what's being sold over the internet as a reimagining of the otaku under the "Cool Japan" flag. As far as stats go, more Japanese people are less inclined to move away from their parents' house to start their own life than ever before, less young people are getting married young, more single people all around in Japan ... These reports don't correllate well with what you're saying. Furthermore, what you say about outgoing otaku is only partially true, because you need to contextualize that first. There are more idol, 2D/3D otaku, some of which might be called riajuu or outgoing, but even so they are still otaku, and society doesn't look favorably down on them, because they fall in the same kinds of consumer spending habits. It's not like "Cool Japan" propaganda machine managed to change the general perception of otaku among Japanese people in just under a decade. That is going to take quite a bit longer. What it did accomplish was to change the perception of otaku, OUTSIDE of Japan, which only benefits merchants who sell things directly to overseas otaku.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 20:16   Link #113
DorkingtonPugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
I know what you mean, i had a hard time adjusting while reading the manga - Genshiken isn't the same without Madarame and Saki imo.
But stick with it, the guys will get to appear more, especially Madarame, whose story is not over yet.
Yeah when I was reading first, it was a bit weird, but I got used to it. And Madarame's still a plenty important character in the new series like you said.

I usually never watch anime of mangas I read, but Genshiken's an exception because I love it so much.

Can't wait for episode three, there's a lot that I'm looking forward to watching animated.

Quote:
Please give the show some time. It just got started. As a manga reader I can tell you this isn't gona be a waste of time and will get very interesting and deep. Don't let it go!
Old 2013-07-14, 22:04   Link #114
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
The second half of the episode did open up a more traditional Genshiken storyline with Ogiue enlisting the Genshiken to help her with her manga so she could finish in time to do a doujin for Comiket. And lets face it, Comiket episodes have always been the best part of the series.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 22:59   Link #115
DidCart

Quote:
Can you please stop spewing random unverified trivia about Japanese fandom that you don't even know for sure it is correct? What you say is what's being sold over the internet as a reimagining of the otaku under the "Cool Japan" flag. As far as stats go, more Japanese people are less inclined to move away from their parents' house to start their own life than ever before, less young people are getting married young, more single people all around in Japan ... These reports don't correllate well with what you're saying. Furthermore, what you say about outgoing otaku is only partially true, because you need to contextualize that first. There are more idol, 2D/3D otaku, some of which might be called riajuu or outgoing, but even so they are still otaku, and society doesn't look favorably down on them, because they fall in the same kinds of consumer spending habits. It's not like "Cool Japan" propaganda machine managed to change the general perception of otaku among Japanese people in just under a decade. That is going to take quite a bit longer. What it did accomplish was to change the perception of otaku, OUTSIDE of Japan, which only benefits merchants who sell things directly to overseas otaku.
Everything you wrote is correct, of course, but the same goes for what I wrote. My only mistake was not to level things up. Of course there is more and more people don't leaving their parents house and that's all this marriage situation happening, but we can't ignore that otaku culture is more acceptable than ever in japanese society. I'm not saying that they love it or approve it (of course not), but they don't see them as complete monsters as they did in previous years. Otaku themselves doesn't see them in a so bad way also.

Let's use some Genshiken examples...

When Sasahara entered the Genshiken, he was very shy when talking about his hobby, even with people from the club.

Now take Yoshitake, or even Yajima or Hato, the newcomers of this season. They are way more comfortable with what they are and what they like.

Like I said, of course that it's not 100% true for every otaku out there, but we can't say that they are in a worst position then they were back then.

But hey, I'm sorry if I wasn't very specific on the topic. It wasn't my intention to create some misunderstandings or some ruckus. My bad.
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 01:31   Link #116
backbone
Banned

Ugh, still a bit conflicted while watching this show. I mean, this is supposed to be a show about manga, anime and the fun side of otaku culture. NOT CROSS-DRESSING TRAP AND GIRLS TALKING ABOUT GIRL PROBLEMS! It's no different than watching K-On!, Tamako, and whatever cute girls doing cute things out there (albeit with adult characters)! Jesus, i didn't come into this show for this kind of thing!

Apologize for the rant, but this isn't even remotely close to the original Genshiken that i used to watch and loved very much. Highly disappointing.
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 02:33   Link #117
Tenzen12

from some reason I have impression you and I watch completely different show.

And in your case it's not Genshiken.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 04:43   Link #118
DorkingtonPugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Ugh, still a bit conflicted while watching this show. I mean, this is supposed to be a show about manga, anime and the fun side of otaku culture. NOT CROSS-DRESSING TRAP AND GIRLS TALKING ABOUT GIRL PROBLEMS! It's no different than watching K-On!, Tamako, and whatever cute girls doing cute things out there (albeit with adult characters)! Jesus, i didn't come into this show for this kind of thing!

Apologize for the rant, but this isn't even remotely close to the original Genshiken that i used to watch and loved very much. Highly disappointing.
Didn't you read my post?
Old 2013-07-15, 05:57   Link #119
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
What it did accomplish was to change the perception of otaku, OUTSIDE of Japan, which only benefits merchants who sell things directly to overseas otaku.
Otaku are big business in Japan too, in terms of numbers and also economic leverage. Twice-yearly Comiket pulls in 500,000 attendees or about three times the attendance of the biggest US comics convention and they're all otaku (myself included a couple of times). Chuo-dori, the main street in Akihabara is closed to traffic on Sundays because it's so crowded with shoppers and gawkers. Artists, publishers, manufacturers, sales staff and many other jobs in Japan depend on the otaku market and their spending power.
Old 2013-07-15, 06:21   Link #120
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkingtonPugsly View Post
Didn't you read my post?
Yep, but i was talking about what the show has shown me so far, not about what will happen in the future eps that i still can't see for now
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club, comedy, subculture