AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-29, 17:04   Link #1
Naruto175

Fma like Naruto?

Ive heard that FMA (Full Metal Alchemist) was a good anime series.I was wondering if it had any naruto like aspects.Also i couldnt find it in animesuki so if you could also tell em a place to download it thanks!
Old 2004-12-29, 17:06   Link #2
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto175
Ive heard that FMA (Full Metal Alchemist) was a good anime series.I was wondering if it had any naruto like aspects.Also i couldnt find it in animesuki so if you could also tell em a place to download it thanks!
It's licensed.

Haven't watched the entire series but I guess if you like Naruto you will probably like FMA.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2004-12-29, 17:36   Link #3
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto175
Similar? Not by a chance. The manga is more like Naruto in a sense because it follows more the shounen standards, while the anime is more weird and dramatic. Anyway, they're pretty different and while both series have fights, they're more scarce in FMA in favor of plot development. If you only look for action, FMA will probably disappoint you (specially the anime).
Old 2004-12-29, 18:26   Link #4
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

FMA is much more serious and dark...it also has none of these gay filler arcs nor any of the disgusting "I will not give up/I will protect Sakura-san" non-sense....not that I don't like Naruto but FMA is at a much higher intellectual level.
Old 2004-12-29, 18:31   Link #5
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
They're not a thing alike. FMA is good, and Naruto is not.

FMA: Stars 15 year old
Naruto: 10 year old

FMA: Alchemy
Naruto: Ninja stuff

FMA: Cool looking
Naruto: It's been done

FMA: Original, creative
Naruto: Just a more hyped DBZ (With ninjas!)

FMA: Decent looking characters (and likable, too!)
Naruto: Ugly characters (who are assholes.)
Old 2004-12-29, 18:38   Link #6
naantje
Annoyance :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb

gtfo the naruto forums if all you do is troll, kid
Old 2004-12-29, 18:41   Link #7
~Keitaro~

Naruto isn't the same as FMa. FMA is a really serious and more hmm how to say .... more adult series like naruto.

Already the start of fma shows how hard and dramatic the hole series is going to be but the naruto series is more for younger people
Old 2004-12-29, 18:46   Link #8
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by naantje
gtfo the naruto forums if all you do is troll, kid
I like Naruto and well he is kind of right...
Old 2004-12-29, 18:58   Link #9
Bflip
Cirque Dame's Jonin

Quote:

FMA is no where near as entertaining though. :P
Old 2004-12-29, 20:02   Link #10
Kayess
Guy From Canada

FMA appeals to people who enjoy more storytype elements.. like character development... seriousness... continuality... unpredictability... etc...

Naruto appeals to people who want a quick release from their life into something big and fantasy-like... Naruto is alot easier to pick up.... and leave randomly... while FMA takes a bit more thought to follow along.

Well.. that is my take on them..

In my mind, FMA is better than Naruto because of the story.
Old 2004-12-29, 21:01   Link #11
hypertoast
acclaimed

IMO full metal alchemist is near perfection

The magic and fantasy that occurs moreso at the beggining of the series has a naruto-esque appeal. But it gets much better, much more serious, and much more disturbingly dark atleast 20 episodes in. I didn't really watch any anime until naruto (though i did read manga) but full metal alchemist revived my interest.

It has more consistant animation than naruto, which has its brilliant sasuke-oro animation and its crappy over-saturated color plagued filler episode animation. FMA's animation is fairly good always but also has some beautiful, beautiful moments (though not as good as Nar episode 30....).

FMA's story is always as intense as the greatest moments in Naruto. Though FMA's battles lack the sort of trickiness that naruto glorifies itself with (eg. the zabuza fight -- where sasuke and naruto perform the windmill shiruken trickiness technique), FMA has something greater: often and huge psycological epiphonies that cause one to rejudge the series!

Like a movie, I couldn't imagine FMA lasting as long as Naruto because its plot is always surrmounting and doesn't work well with sagas, whereas Naruto's does (clearcut sagas ---> this series could continue forever....). And so, the Naruto anime continues while FMA is over [sort of].

I prefer slightly (FMA over Naruto) and suggest that everyone give FMA a try (if you can get your hands on it...)
Old 2004-12-29, 21:07   Link #12
Darth_E_
Freelance TS'er/Encoder

Naruto doesn't even compare to FMA IMO ( take that from someone who enjoys Naruto too ), but it's all a matter of tastes I guess. While the Story in FMA is breath-taking, it has alot of unpredictable twists and mystery. Some scenes may contain gore too, others may just freak you out. Both animes meet at character development. All characters' pasts are discussed, both do not focus solely on the main character. The topics dicussed differ though. FMA talks about souls, alchemy, equivlant trade and such. Naruto speaks about a noisy kid trying to become a hokage, jutsus, konoha's pride/honour...etc etc. The music track in both animes are great, I personally find FMA's more inspiring while Naruto's being the sort of music which makes you exicted during the fight ;P

Anyways, If you like Naruto, I'd say you'd probably like One piece better. FMA is for the more serious, older audience. If you can't take harsh scenes nor sad moments then FMA isn't for you.

Yours,
-Elly
Old 2004-12-29, 21:15   Link #13
davidlionheartZ

Wink

Quote:

lol so right so right.
Old 2004-12-29, 21:20   Link #14
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Naruto does not equal Fullmetal Alchemist

Naruto's Pros
- Easy to get into
- Simple and Clean fun
- Not hard to get
- Fights that occur (especially the "skills" a certain person has)

Naruto's Cons
- Sometimes makes a person too addicted and that person will not listen to reason
- Maybe TOO simple
- Over cliched

But even though i know these Cons, i still like Naruto. One of the better Shonen stuff that i have seen.
(comes nowhere close to One Piece, maybe on par with bleach but way lower than deathnote)

Fullmetal Alchemist's Pros
- interesting subject. (alchemy... who would have thought of that?)
- Fresh mix with comedy, seriousness and action. (almost too perfect)
- I mean the studio who produced it is BONES! Come on!
- Very emotional moments. like deaths of a certain character........

Fullmetal Alchemist's Cons
- May not appeal to some people.
- Sometimes you get pissed when someone dies.....
- Confusing plot. Hard to predict and get.

I prefer FMA, but Naruto is still excellent.
but i can assure you that they are not so alike....
Old 2004-12-30, 04:13   Link #15
GarBhaD
Zetsubou shita!

Am I the only one here who thinks that FMA wasn't that good?
FMA anime disappointed me, specially towards the end. Animation is OK and there are lots of good original ideas and all but... really, it gets too weird, to the point that the beggining of the series has little to do with the end. It's pretty obvious that the manga author (beginning) and the script writers (anime->end) had opposite concepts. Also, the story loses the "adventure" and "magic" feeling it had in the first episodes (and I liked so much), while the manga has more sense and keeps with the original motif. Plus, the anime killed all the comedy! FMA manga has action, drama and LOTS of fun, while in the anime is nearly non-existant and doesn't have the same "charm".
In the end, FMA anime disappointed me greatly.

And about "FMA vs Naruto" I'd say that they're pretty different even though both are shounens. sOnJoOL said it all, but to sum up: Naruto is more commercial.
Old 2004-12-30, 04:25   Link #16
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
Am I the only one here who thinks that FMA wasn't that good?
FMA anime disappointed me, specially towards the end. Animation is OK and there are lots of good original ideas and all but... really, it gets too weird, to the point that the beggining of the series has little to do with the end. It's pretty obvious that the manga author (beginning) and the script writers (anime->end) had opposite concepts. Also, the story loses the "adventure" and "magic" feeling it had in the first episodes (and I liked so much), while the manga has more sense and keeps with the original motif. Plus, the anime killed all the comedy! FMA manga has action, drama and LOTS of fun, while in the anime is nearly non-existant and doesn't have the same "charm".
In the end, FMA anime disappointed me greatly.

And about "FMA vs Naruto" I'd say that they're pretty different even though both are shounens. sOnJoOL said it all, but to sum up: Naruto is more commercial.
ya.
the manga was very funny even in the very serious parts....
but not funny in tragic parts.
and also, im very disappointed that anime took a diff route than manga
i really wanted to see the Xing's guys. they are the BEST!

and even though there are not that much "fight scenes" if there is one, its VERY NICE. but some of Naruto's fights were dissapointing. If they mess up on the coming "Biggest Attracting" (if you know what i mean) , im gonna quit watching
Old 2004-12-30, 08:51   Link #17
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

FMA was entertaining. You could say that if you are a beginning anime watcher or younger then 14, Naruto is propably more enjoyable then FMA.

Naruto is a good shounen, but a shounen nontless, it will always carry a cliche factor and imho Kishimoto is doing a good job keeping it as low as possible.
Unlike..Bleach for instance where the same shit get's repeated over and over again. When watching the anime it becomes clear that I should have sticked to the manga which is still entertaining.

Im ranting, back to topic: FMA is very unlike Naruto. A completely different theme and completely different characters. Wheterer someone likes Naruto better or FMA better is not the question. But obnixious kids like Razer never pass an opportunity to bash Naruto, so don't look to much into it.

The FMA anime was refreshing because it didn't stick too close to the manga and came with a new theme. Personally I think I didn't enjoy it as much as some people because I kept reading and Watching anime and manga at the same time and mixed things up and got spoiled on many occasions...

All in All, FMA is a more mature shounen and very enjoyable. Naruto is better then the run of the mill shounen and very much fun to analyze and talk about.
Old 2004-12-30, 12:14   Link #18
ninja massacre

Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
Unlike..Bleach for instance where the same shit get's repeated over and over again. When watching the anime it becomes clear that I should have sticked to the manga which is still entertaining.
Bleach (the anime) is very new and only got 10 episodes.
They haven't got into a BIG arc yet.
it takes time for almost every anime to dump these 1-2 episode arcs.

anways, naruto is a great anime but as some people said before, it fits younger people more than fma. Still it seems like people who watch naruto that doesn't live in japan are mostely 16+ of age.

but one thing you should have in mind is that the main character in fma is not as though as naruto. He's often just acting like a little shit...
Old 2004-12-30, 12:34   Link #19
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja massacre
Bleach (the anime) is very new and only got 10 episodes.
They haven't got into a BIG arc yet.
it takes time for almost every anime to dump these 1-2 episode arcs.
I know, yet Im a manga reader and Bleach is very repetitive, even in the big arc.
We got to chapter 149 without any suprises whatsoeever.
And even tho the Anime follows the Manga almost perfect. The theme still annoys me. But we are afwully oftopic so I'll shut my yap about it.
Old 2004-12-30, 14:49   Link #20
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
Fullmetal Alchemist's Cons
- May not appeal to some people.
Great con. Sounds kind of universal to me.

Anyway, I definetly prefer FMA. If Naruto followed the manga exactly it would be a close call, though I'd probably still lean towards FMA.
Closed Thread