AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-05, 05:12   Link #1
Iluvatar

Looking for some Manga

I’m very new when it comes to manga, I only read two or something, although I already watched a respectable amount of anime. I want to start reading more manga and I want to start by some manga that I’m familiar with.

What I mean by this is, I want to read a manga that is MUCH BETTER than its anime version. For instance I heard that the manga of Berserk it’s much better than the anime. So I’m looking for other examples where this happens. (I also heard that almost every manga is better than its anime version, so I only want the obvious examples).

Also I want to know some manga that are a must read.

List of what I've seen (and liked it):

Afro Samurai
Air
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Aoi Bungaku
Baccano!
Baka to Test Shoukanjuu
Basilisk
BECK
Berserk
Chrome Shelled Regios
Chrono Crusade
CLANNAD
Claymore
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Death Note
Denpa Teki Na Kanojo
Detroit Metal City
Devil May Cry
EF: A Tale of Memories
Elfen Lied
Fate/Stay Night
Full Metal Panic!
Fuly Culy
Ga Rei Zero
Gankutsuou – The Count of Monte Cristo
GANTZ
Genshiken
Golden Boy
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gungrave
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Hellsing
Higurashi no naku Koro ni
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu
Kanon
Kara no Kyoukai
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Mushishi
My Hime
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo
Sarai-ya Goyou
Seirei no Moribito
Soul Eater
Speed Grapher
Spice and Wolf
Summer Wars
True Tears
Voices of a Distant Star
Welcome to the N.H.K.

Last edited by Iluvatar; 2010-07-05 at 05:41.
Old 2010-07-05, 05:15   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Regarding the question of much better source material, how about listing some shows that you have seen? That way we can say if the source material is worth checking out.

As for some must reads, off the bat i'd say Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. There's many more, though those are the titles that come to mind first when answering that question.
Old 2010-07-05, 05:19   Link #3
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Adding to what Shiroth already suggested, my pick would be D. Gray-man for you, the manga is vastly superior to the anime.
Old 2010-07-05, 05:31   Link #4
jedinat

Gokusen and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro are much better than their anime adaptions.

A few must-reads:
Angel Densetsu
Kanata Kara
Kiseijuu
Yotsubato!
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2010-07-05, 05:51   Link #5
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Regarding the question of much better source material, how about listing some shows that you have seen? That way we can say if the source material is worth checking out.

As for some must reads, off the bat i'd say Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. There's many more, though those are the titles that come to mind first when answering that question.
Ok, I'll do that and ty for the recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
Adding to what Shiroth already suggested, my pick would be D. Gray-man for you, the manga is vastly superior to the anime.
I didn't really enjoyed D. Gray-man that much but, I think i'm gonna give the manga a try. ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Gokusen and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro are much better than their anime adaptions.

A few must-reads:
Angel Densetsu
Kanata Kara
Kiseijuu
Yotsubato!
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
I'm going to check them out and ty.
Old 2010-07-05, 06:37   Link #6
Divini
Senpai!

I can have a field day with naming 'manga better than anime'

Manga whose anime does a pretty good job, but is incomplete due to limited episodes or whatnot... the manga tells the full story, which these imo, are very very much worth checking out:

GTO - since you liked the anime, you'll be in love with the manga
Kare Kano
Fruits Basket
Angelic Layer
To Love RU
Rurouni Kenshin - past the Kyoto arc
Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
Mahoroba
Eyeshield 21
Hayate no Gotoku!
School Rumble

Manga whose anime is just a butchered shadow of its original self - the plot was changed completely or it was given a rushed non-canon ending. The original manga version, of course, is worth reading:

Love Hina
Mahou Sensei Negima
Galaxy Angel - totally different. For one thing it actually has a serious plot.
Tsubasa ~ Reservoir Chronicles
Chrono Crusade <- ymmv. I liked the manga a lot more.
Get Backers
Fullmetal Achemist - exception: the anime adaptation's (original one) story isn't bad at all, but it is different, and I think the manga's story is still better
One Piece

Other mangas that I think are worth checking out: (most of these are currently ongoing)
The World God Only Knows - my current favorite
Bakuman - my second current favorite
Beelzebub
Dengeki Daisy
Angel Densetsu - seconded because I loved it that much
Kimi no Iru Machi - if you're into neverending drama
Liar Game
Skip Beat!
Fairy Tail
Air Gear
1/2 Prince
Mirai Nikki - if you're into psycho yanderes. Good story either way
RAVE
One Piece
Old 2010-07-05, 10:28   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Second Fruits Basket
Pandora Hearts
Pita Ten
Old 2010-07-05, 11:10   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Comments about the ones on your list that I know about:

Baka to Test Shoukanjuu - The source material is a light novel not manga. Although there is a manga out. The manga follows the light novel much closer than the anime (which moved things around plotwise). From what I've seen the plot seems to develop better in the novel/manga.

Chrome Shelled Regios - Again the source material is a light novel. The plot is very similar up till the anime ending, which goes a completely different direction from the original plot. The light novel ending is better, but more than that it just has a few small changes and touches that greatly improves the story in my opinion. There are actually 2 manga adaptions, neither of which have gotten very far yet- so I can't say much about them. One of them is pretty clearly an ode to Felli Loss and appears to focus more on the interaction between Felli and "FonFon".

Chrono Crusade - The manga has a very different ending from the anime. Personally I really liked the anime ending, but most people prefer the manga.

CLANNAD - Original source is a visual novel/dating game, I don't know anything about the manga.

Code Geass - This was an anime original, so I suspect the anime is the better version.

Full Metal Panic! - The original sources are light novels, but the anime and the manga versions all closely follow the same plot.

Gankutsuou – The Count of Monte Cristo - Just read the book. It's a classic, and it's a great action adventure story. (It would also be very embarrassing to admit in polite company that you'd seen an anime adaption of The Count of Monte Cristo, but never read the actual source).

Neon Genesis Evangelion - An anime original, the manga adds some additional elements to Rei's character and relationship with Shinji that I really liked. Other than that I preferred the original anime series. In my opinion out of all the variations I've seen I'd say the original series + End of Evangelion is the best, but all of the variations seem to be decent.

Soul Eater - About half way through the anime the plot departed from the manga and went in a very different direction, emphasizing the comedic aspects much more. The manga gets serious and pretty much stays serious with some occasional lightheartedness. I didn't care for the anime ending so I tend to prefer the manga.

Some other notably good manga that you might want to check out:

Ranma 1/2 - One of the classic anime, and I think the manga did a better job of handling the story.

H2 - Epic baseball manga. Well done, and the anime version is abbreviated. Although the panty shots do get annoying. I just want to watch the darn ball game, not ogle cheerleaders...

Change 1 2 3 - Violence, nudity, and actual plot lines with significant character development. A surprising combination.

Hayate the Combat Butler

The World God Only Knows (has an anime adaption coming out soon)

Mirai Nikki (has an anime adaption coming out soon)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-05, 16:59   Link #9
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Awesome Manga:
Berserk The anime version pales in comparison, they removed almost all the rape and changed a few things.
Ubel blatt I would describe it as Zelda + Berserk (main character is the guy in my av)
Ares Great swordfighting, cool characters and a great story.
The breaker Good shounen with great fighting scenes and some good development.Starts slow but delivers.
20th century boys Must read.
King of thorns
Blame!
Classic by Tsutomu Nihei ( guy in my sig is the lead)
Deadman Wonderland
Hajime no ippo
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Vinland Saga Vikings and a great story!
Gantz If u watched the anime then i dont need to say anything if u didnt, i suggest u read it.
Shin Angyo Onshi Along the lines of Berserk. Bad ass Antiheroes.
Shamo Crude and features one of the best antiheroes IMO.Follows the story of a guy who kills his parents and learn karate in juvenile prison.

Last edited by CeDeR; 2010-07-05 at 17:16.
Old 2010-07-06, 13:07   Link #10
Iluvatar

Thank you all for your help. I now have much to read.