AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-04-27, 07:30   Link #21
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just watched this last night and found it quite enjoyable. It made me think about the changing image of Japan here in the US when the Tokyo Olympics took place. I was about Yuuko's age in 1964 and shared her and her brother's sense of expanding opportunities in a new world order. Sadly the father is too caricatured for me to take seriously. For those who haven't seen it, the second episode of Bartender portrays a much more persuasive dramatization of the conflict between generations over family businesses in the postwar period. (It's one of my favorite single anime episodes of all time.)

I grew up with kids whose fathers had been on ships attacked by kamikaze pilots. I'd seen our soliders, sailors, and marines fight their way across the Pacific against crazed Japanese opponents in reruns of movies like Bataan and Guadacanal Diary. I well remember when "Made in Japan" meant shoddy quality; by 1971 I was driving a Japanese car. The quotation Simon posts from Gordon's history makes considerable sense to me -- the Olympics symbolically represented Japan's return to the world community.

I do have to point to one glaring error in the translation. At the beginning of the show we hear a television announcer recounting the important events of the preceding year, 1963. He clearly mentions the Kennedy assassination; I rewatched the scene a couple of times to make sure. I chalk this up to the fact that few of our fansubbers were even born when JFK was shot, while I was just coming-of-age and lived through that tumultuous decade of the sixties.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 16:55   Link #22
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

7:30-8:30 actually hurt...

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 01:54   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This thread really needs to go to the Current Series board...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 02:13   Link #24
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This thread really needs to go to the Current Series board...
Said that almost a month ago...
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 18:23   Link #25
Dop
Mmmm....

Glad to see another episode of this subbed, I'm quite enjoying it. I loved the talk in the bath about going into space and the leisure society when machines do all the work. We actually believed that back in the day!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 22:24   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Episode 3 was great - though I still say the father is a tool. But I was disappointed not to have a "casual stroll" at the end...
Old 2011-05-29, 21:04   Link #27
msg

this series need some love

Very nostalgic.reminds me of my first trip to japan when i was a child to saitama.even both of my parents love the series.

very entertaining and educational at the same.although the voice actors and animation looks clunky at certain times, i still love it.
Old 2012-01-18, 00:15   Link #28
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well ... looks like Hatsuyuki stopped at ep 4. But GotWoot looks like they are interested to pick it up, having released ep 1.
Old 2012-01-18, 02:51   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I saw that, and thanked them. This wasn't spectacular, but it had a very straightforward charm to it and I'd like to see how it comes out.
Old 2012-01-19, 16:50   Link #30
Dop
Mmmm....

Nice to see GotWoot pick this up, and I hope they manage to do the whole thing, as I really enjoyed the little I saw before.
So I grabbed their version, and I still love that 'leisurely walk' at the end.
Old 2012-01-19, 17:38   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Selfishly, I sort of wish they'd just picked up at episode 5. But beggars can't be choosers.
Old 2012-03-21, 17:15   Link #32
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Okay, as a heads up to fellow Showa Monogatari fans - GotWoot just finished ep 4 a little while ago, so previously unsubbed eps will be all they will be cranking out from here on in! Yatta!
Old 2012-04-05, 14:05   Link #33
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is there some reason why the GotWoot releases aren't listed on the AS page for this series?

I just happened to look at the list for March, 2012. There were only 131 torrents listed there for the entire month, and a number of those already have dead trackers! I realize that legal streaming has reduced the number of eligible series dramatically, so I'd really like to see the ones that qualify, like Showa Monogatari, actually appear on the main AS site.
Old 2012-04-06, 18:08   Link #34
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Annddd ... rejoice lads and lasses! Ep 5 is out! New material! Yatta!
Old 2012-04-06, 23:03   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Huzzah - it's back, and I'm blogging it again! Simple as it is, I really enjoy this series - especially when they include the "casual stroll" sequence at the end.

And now at last I know what was happening in "that" scene.
Old 2012-04-08, 14:48   Link #36
Dop
Mmmm....

Marvellous. I really like the atmosphere of this show and I'm glad to see a 'new' episode come along.

I had to look up Moxibustion, though...

I do love those 'leisurely walks' at the end, too. It's a little travelogue.
Old 2012-05-07, 06:39   Link #37
Dop
Mmmm....

There's an episode six out there!

Things go wrong for the family business, Kohei and his chums train for the big softball game and it's the worst children's day ever!

I loved the way this episode's 'leisurely walk' put things into perspective, and showed us that businesses like the Yamazaki's still exist in the same area.
Old 2012-05-08, 20:11   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So what is a hondaratta? I did a little Google searching and found this. From the song I thought they might be singing about riding a Honda scooter. Am i right?

I felt sorry for the Yamazakis; they seem like honorable people who were taken advantage of, though it did seem like the scammer was facing a difficult future. I thought the line about it being better to be cheated than to be a cheat was poignant.

I do wish the father was a more nuanced character, though. He's a bit less explosive than in the early episodes, but still not an especially likeable father. Despite his problems he shouldn't be hitting Kouhei over something like a mother's complaint about her boy being trained too hard. Glad to see Kouhei got a nice, and unexpected, present for Children's Day. (We have a Children's Day in the US, too. I remember seeing it on the calendar in our house growing up. Whenever I'd point out that it was coming up, my mother would say "every day is children's day." I never got a present on Children's Day either!)

You know that the father will not be happy about Yuuko-san having a romantic encounter in the next episode, but good for her! Speaking as a father I could never understand that point of view; I'd much prefer my daughter to be happy and in love. The manga-ka seems to have a serious crush, too. I hope it remains an unrequited yearning for everyone's sake.

The grandmother has been a bitch from the moment she first appeared in the story. Most of the time the oba-san character is a nice elderly woman who's very generous toward her grandchildren. This one is a terror.
Old 2012-05-09, 23:05   Link #39
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That father is my biggest problem with this show. I know it's depicting a different time, but in any time this guy is a boorish and angry man, and in any time I have little patience for brutalizing children. And the fact that his wife so rarely says a word against his behavior makes it worse.

Apart from this I think this series is very valuable, because shows that delve deeply into the struggles of working-class people to make ends meet are extremely rare. When Kouhei says "the fact that I won't be getting side dishes for dinner is still a shock" it's easy to skim past it, but it's a pretty poignant line and sums up what the show is really all about.
Old 2012-05-18, 16:37   Link #40
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Annddd ... ep 7 is out for all interested.