AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-06-29, 18:20   Link #81
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

the woman's head and palm tree looks like a pineapple in the thumbnail. I'm scared of her.
Old 2006-06-29, 18:34   Link #82
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
I sometimes wonder why AS continues to use these ad providers 'services' when their ads are so damn intrusive.
Really, we don't by "choice". At least not an active choice... maybe a passive one?

We get what we get basically... The hosting is provided by Mb81 for free. People can block the ads or use a different mirror if it becomes too much of a problem for them. If enough people have a problem with the ads, Mb81 might be persuaded to switch -- but I don't see it happening as he uses the same provider on a number of sites he hosts.

The best we (the staff) can do is ask Mb81 to remove the ones that are really intrusive -- hence this thread (assuming he is still reading it ...)
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 19:12   Link #83
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Ah, well that makes sense, thanks for the explanation
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 23:03   Link #84
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Nearly the same as the other one.
Old 2006-08-31, 18:19   Link #85
Ziv

this one is two ads in one. The obvious one is the big ad in the middle.

This screenshot shows the tower ad on the right during a different part of its animation. I know the statue of david is considered great art, but im still not interested in seeing that.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 19:43   Link #86
MagicianCamille

Send a message via ICQ to MagicianCamille Send a message via AIM to MagicianCamille Send a message via MSN to MagicianCamille
Hey, any way I could possibly see what new anime torrents are out without seeing Greek penis?

Okay thanks.
MagicianCamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 00:53   Link #87
MagicianCamille

Send a message via ICQ to MagicianCamille Send a message via AIM to MagicianCamille Send a message via MSN to MagicianCamille
Bring back the balloon game ad!
Old 2006-09-12, 02:27   Link #88
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianCamille
Sheesh. Now you want us to bring back an old ad. Isn't the absence of Greek penis good enough for you?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 08:21   Link #89
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianCamille
lol...
If you really want it you can always a little option that was introduced in Opera 9.

When you see that add again copy it to your hdd.

Now (in Opera... if I'm not mistaken Opera is the only browser that supports this) go to View >> Style >> Manage Modes. In the Author Mode section (the left colon) make sure that only the options that start with "Page" are selected. In the User section (the right colon) make sure only the options that start with "My". Ok now that the major source of errors has been eliminated got to the add-free animesuki mirror http://www.rpguru.com/ .

Now... copy the pages external css and open it in a text editor like Notepad for example. Save it, make sure you save it with the css extension and as plain text. (for example WhateverName.css) Make sure you copy all the essential images on the page, upload them on an imagehost and replace the links in your css file. Otherwise only structural elements will show.

Just one word on this : No one in their right mind will accuse you of stealing if you take the images from a page only to use them to display the same page. But taking images (or icons or whatever) from some other site for use on your site, for example, is stealing (unless you ask and receive permission from the site's owner). Well, how should I put it, this new way of changing the sites look on the User-side is somewhat new and I personally have no idea just what exactly is right and wrong (read : "shameless") when using it.

Ok now in you new css file go and modify the parameters a little. In your case you should only need to set the add you saved earlier (presuming that add you're talking about is some simple gif or image) as a background.

Let's see you would have to modify the style settings for the body tag, add to it something like this :
background-image: url([url]http://YourImageHost.You/bla/bla/bla/bla/YourFavoriteAdd.img);[/url]
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-attachment: scroll;
background-position: top right;

Some comments on it :
  • This is just one of the ways introduced in Opera 9 to do this and also one of the safest.
  • However safe this method may be it is still on untested ground, so if you encounter an error please go to the Opera community forums and Report it in the Opera for windows section (located in the Opera for desktop platforms section), presuming you are using Windows
  • This method is very flexible, for example I'm not a very big fan of Green and Gray (I also find Black annoying), my favorite colors (when browsing) are White, LightBlue and White, so with some minor editing and some little images I made it so the index page looks like this :

I only changed some colors here and there and added a background, but you can resize and reshape almost any element, for example instead of plain colors you can use patterns, and so on.

However tempting it may be to change every site you visit I only recommend you do this for sites that you visit very very often. The process isn't as easy as it looks (it took me 10~15 minutes to make the above example), and while Opera has some options to help you, for example you can copy all the images on a page using Ctrl+Shift+S (there are pages were this doesn't work) or you can set Opera to overlap the names and classes of all the elements that have classes assigned to them and aren't 1-line-elements, it just isn’t worth it, unless the sites has some flaw or error thats bugging you. For example the menus in the Front Page sometimes used to just be all active all the time, it’s pretty annoying, thats why in the example above I made it so they are active all the time and just blended them in with the background of the main block. Well its fixing random personal errors like this were the system shines.

If you want to create custom styles for the forum then I suggest enabling author style in the User style section of the Mange modes section. And create the style only as an override for certain elements. This "should" keep the menus from craping out.

• Like I said this is untested tech so ATM to avoid serious errors the author/user mode setting for the page is a tab based setting and not a page setting. So while Opera will remember that you want specific style to override all styles on specific page, you still have to manually switch to user mode.

One of the really annoying things is that if you go and do a page search (using Opera's internal search engine) then when you for example load a page were you have custom css then when you use the shortcut User/Author mode toggle (that would be Shift+G) it simple searches the page with you last search criteria. pretty annoying.

Also do remember to open a new tab (Ctrl+T) when you want to go to some other address (via address F2 or via bookmark-nick Shift+F2). Like I said Author/User mode is (currently) an tab based setting thus it will override global settings, so if you go to some other address in the same tab it will apply your style sheet, and the result is usually chaos. (remember your style sheet overrides the page's style sheet or in-built style for that matter. (the is a wiki page dedicated to this, that also shows were the priorities)

You can get Opera 9 go here :

Tip: If you're going to use Opera then learn to use shortcuts. Opera's not designed for n00bs. And yes because Opera chose not to adopt the stupid IE shortcut keys site acceskeys (read: shortcuts) are disabled by default.

To report bugs go to http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=2
Old 2006-09-12, 22:15   Link #90
MagicianCamille

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Sheesh. Now you want us to bring back an old ad. Isn't the absence of Greek penis good enough for you?
How can you compare popping balloons to seeing greek penis? It's apples and greek penis, uncomparable.

By the way Cat that sounds like way too much effort.
Old 2006-09-14, 08:36   Link #91
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well... it is... but for simple things it isn't...

ATM the system is a little fuzzy... hopefully Opera will improve on it in the future...

I just play with it for fun... and it keeps my mind occupied... converting Google to an anime style is pretty fun ^_^

Anyway... the are only a few practical applications.
  • To delete certain information from the site. (any persistent adds or information that has become irrelevant but is still displayed on the site, or you just don't want to see it)
  • Text formatting and color schemes. This is very easy and efficient.

Well this little system implemented by Opera is pretty interesting. (you can even load your own custom javascripts) but I don't see it being used for anything else then fun.

@ NoSanninWa

Hmm... Why is this thread still here... wasn't this thread meant for the forum (that doesn't have an add-free mirrors). If people have a problem with animesuki.com can't they just change to a mirror. Even if it's one with adds, it can't possibly have the same ones.
Isn't the use of mirrors a good thing ?

BTW does anyone do something or do the add problems just go away on their own
Old 2006-09-15, 00:36   Link #92
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Actually, this thread is meant for the main site, not the forum. Since it does have ads, we need to know if there are bad ads there.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 19:25   Link #93
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas

Nearly the same as the other one.

I keep seeing ads like this when I visit the main site
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 14:27   Link #94
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I dunno if it would be considered explicit or not but I'll post it anyway just to make sure. There's an ad titled: "Watch The Best of Britney's Worst" and then it shows pictures at the bottom. Anyway, if someone already posted that one then ignore this. But if not, then well I'm just letting the mods know.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 14:53   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In Firefox, the Adblock extension feature is your friend if used properly (open up the wild card section and block entire domains, not just one page.... 80% of "crap you don't want to see anyway" comes from these 4 or 5 domain sources) I'd be more sympathetic to ads if they actually targeted my interests... however, then some bastards sell my demographic data to people who don't care what my interests are anyway, so I've given personal data away without good return.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-02-08 at 11:20.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 18:37   Link #96
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
Unhappy

I found this ad to be annoying and unwanted:

Thank you
GATX207_Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-08, 22:18   Link #97
sjefen6
Inactive Member

Location: Norway. As north in europe you can get on mainland.
Today when I entered your site I got an ad from errorsafe, a site that fooles the user to belive they get a message from windows about that they schould install errorsafe to get rid of all the not exsisting viruses. Errorsafe is ofcouse a virus.

Sorry, didn't get a screenshot as i closed it at once.
sjefen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-14, 07:50   Link #98
Aikousha
^_^

I actually got one of those "fill the screen" ads about 30 minutes ago... before I entered the forum. Since most don't have visible close boxes, and these also tend to block any normal navigation or mouse operation on the page, I knee-jerk close the browser window, before even reading the ad. Also, a few of them have very large graphic components, so I often kill them when only a gray area and some text are present. (Next time, I'll try to remember to capture them).

Personally I don't mind the adverts at all, if they stay in their banner positions, and don't strobe, activate sounds, or bounce around like a rabbit on speed. Some are even fun to translate mentally.
However, in all instances, I think "Flash" based ads should be permanently banned! And anything that interferes with site operation or navigation should be instantly booted.

If you need a little more ad-revenue, I certainly wouldn't object to having another banner at the bottom of screens...

Thanks to all the people operating this site (and it's mirrors), this is the most comfortable, friendly, and easy to use web-site I visit. Keep up the good work.

--Aiko
Aikousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 06:05   Link #99
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

yeah I got that one too sometimes.
really annoying.

but as long as you click the X button instead of OK or Cancel you'll be alright.

Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 03:01   Link #100
AkatsukisApprentice
Akatsuki's Apprentice

The errorsafe ads are quite intrusive, as the person points out above, its safe to click x - but to the unsuspecting user (like myself when I first saw it) clicked cancel and boom! loads of pop-up...and a installation starts - files start to flow in the comp.

Would be nice if this were to disappear some how
AkatsukisApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote