AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2011-05-01, 06:40   Link #281
jwai

I recently picked up the VC1 Development Artworks book, and it was as sweet as the VC2 art book. It was very interesting how the pre-production concepts started off as, and how they evolved into the game we now know.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 08:55   Link #282
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Moeyo.com has a sweet color gallery of the upcoming Valkyria Chronicles 3 figures. And holy hell they look amazing. Check em all out. I mean look at these things. Stunning work. If the production models look this good, I will go insane as I love all things Valkyria Chronicles due to the fact that the story of the first had me weeping it was so beautifully done.

Spoiler for Pic:
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 03:19   Link #283
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Bloody hell they look brilliant.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 10:02   Link #284
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Udon to Print Sengoku Basara, Valkyria, Soejima Books
Old 2011-07-23, 22:13   Link #285
K'Arthur

Sweet! I'm glad to hear Udon is going to translate/release the VC2 artbook. Though, I wish Udon would release the VC manga in English. I know it's available in French, but 3 years of HS French isn't going to help me read it. LOL.
Old 2011-07-31, 14:45   Link #286
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Arthur View Post
Sweet! I'm glad to hear Udon is going to translate/release the VC2 artbook.
This is surprising and welcome news... just like finding 3-4 copies of their take of the first artbook in a local Forbidden Planet; going to have to scoop that up sometime soon. If they plan to release the animation artbook as well, it seems like I'll end up with two complete sets.

Quote:
Though, I wish Udon would release the VC manga in English. I know it's available in French, but 3 years of HS French isn't going to help me read it. LOL.
That would be welcome too.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 20:44   Link #287
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive Preview

Well, since it's so nice that its in english now ima postan some pics

It's really nice to be able to see what the designers were thinking with all their notes, a good portion of its relevant to character design and even the Technology and Weapons thread.

More legible/higher rez available at the album since im too dumb to get the full image... you can also compare it to the japanese version there, they only difference is language i tihnk :P

Covers of the japanese(w/o Dustcover) and english compared. The Ubon release doesnt come with a seperate dust cover, instead...
Spoiler for Quite a number of Pics:

Thats it for this preview i tihnk... the UDON paper is just a bit thinner than the jpn one, but thats about it, quality is still gorgeous. I like the dust cover more...it doesnt have that slipping feeling of a detachable one... Large format, 400 pages full colour... unique game...looks great, and at last check i can see it for sub 30$ at some locations...
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 23:25   Link #288
Snowman24

o_O... So... those... 'Bastians'... They were a concept for another race in Gallia??

Cat-eared people? I couldn't quite read what it all said.
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 01:21   Link #289
Beri270T3

Believe so Snow. So our beloved Darcsen were originally supposed to be Nekos. Good way to make them stand out like the author says. It would have made a great concept, but I like the Darcsen as is.
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 13:41   Link #290
Beri270T3

That's actually quite a useful reference guide. I should see if I can scrounge one up. The licence plates are especially interesting. And seeing that model of the Edelweiss makes me wish they'd strike a deal with some company like Tamiya to produce armour model kits with Gallian and Imperial tanks. Might be a successful venture.
Old 2011-08-03, 16:55   Link #291
K'Arthur

My copy arrived today and it is beautiful! There are wonderful write ups about each character along with their concept art from various stages of development. There's even one for Belgen and Theimer, though their stuff never made it into the finished product beyond the photograph.

It's also pretty amazing to see the concepts the game started out as and how it evolved into the game we know. The stills from the "internal office prototype" are especially telling, too.

Definitely worth the $30 from Amazon.
Old 2011-08-03, 18:47   Link #292
Snowman24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beri270T3 View Post
It would have made a great concept, but I like the Darcsen as is.
I dunno... I might have like to see Isara, Magari, Lynn, Mischlitt and Nadine with cat ears... :P

But yes, true, I love my Darcsen girls just the way they are <3 <3 <3
Old 2011-08-03, 19:26   Link #293
K'Arthur

@Snowman:
I can try and snap a photo of cat-girl Isara from the book for you if you'd like.
Old 2011-08-03, 19:48   Link #294
Snowman24

Yes, Please!!
Old 2011-08-04, 07:12   Link #295
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kotaku has some pics of the artbook if your interested.
Old 2011-08-04, 12:40   Link #296
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive Preview 2

I found my tripod so slighty better pictures lol...

Here's the page of Bastian (proto-Isara) the only way i know how to enlarge is to go to picasa and use magnify =_= ...i should use imageshack or smthn...

omigod is that a Reich eagle? German uniform and a scoped nagant...actually more likely than you think... the first german snipers were equipped with captured mosins, as german sniper rifles were not yet fully developed (scopes to be exact)

Oh and in case anyone wanted to know why they were eating water melons in the middle of the desert- turns out they found a photo of (probably Afrika korps?) eating water melons on top of a tank -see "Peeling Potatoes"
hehehe I like how the lead designer counters;
Quote:
"the fact that wearing a bright red bandana on your head in a war isn't a good idea..."
by diverting attention to how,
Quote:
"we should probably first address the fact that her skirt is way shorter than any military uniform I've ever seen."
whahahaha

[IMG][/IMG]

This might have been able to stem the odd case of criticism for Isara`s death being a bit "cheesy" with all the last words an all. These rejected ideas seem so much more creative, realistic and more powerful than the one they used in the game, or maybe its just I don't like overly used themes in martial genres when there are so many untold stories.
Quote:
There was this one idea that had Isara getting shot right between the eyes and Welkin finding a touching letter she had written to her borther for just such an occasion. Another good one was about Isara being mortally wounded by exploding shrapnel while operating a tank, but she continues to speak over the communication system as if nothing is wrong so as not to worry Welkin. Despite Isara's best efforts, her operation of the tank gets pretty sloppy, and Welkin yells at her throughout the fight. After the battle is won, everyone realizes that Isara hasn't come out of the tank, and when Welkin opens the hatch, they find her dead at the controls. (Honjou)
He calls them imaginative ideas, but I think these sound like very real possibilities that reflects battlefield mentality, like how soldiers do write letters in case of death. I guess it would've changed the atmosphere too much if they used them, b/c they say in the interview they didn't want to make it too realistic. But dang! think of the drama!
Spoiler for More pictures:

Theres a few more i think but its nothing you haven't seen before probably, just much more legible-see album if desired.
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 18:10   Link #297
Beri270T3

A lot of militaries used eagles and albatross as emblems. Besides Reich eagle isn't really specific although I know to which you're refering.

Looks kinda like they stuck a Zeiss on the Mosin.

What they refer to as a bandana isn't out of the question. There is a proper term for it in various countries, but a lot of women wear something like that back then and in more traditional communities. Of course it's usually much larger and covers most of the hair.

You know what they really forgot. The Bread Bags. Unless there is something in the artwork I find it interesting they make Alicia or Alma as she was previously named, a baker and forget the bread bags. Sure it wasn't just for bread, but all rations, cleaning supplies, toiletries, you name it.
Old 2011-09-07, 00:35   Link #298
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Review of Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive
Old 2011-09-09, 13:44   Link #299
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Got the Design Archive at my local anime-based shop.

The guy who managed the payment asked if I played the game before. I was like, dude...

Enjoyed the stuff in there, especially the history of developing the game since it was suppose to be called "Gallian Panzers" during pre-production.

Also found a pic of the Ace Imperial soldier.

Take note that there are some minor errors with punctuation and all as I've read more than one half of the book already.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2011-09-14 at 01:17.
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 06:46   Link #300
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just order this already. Looks too awesome. And it's only ~$30 on Amazon, so why not?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote