AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-02-04, 22:21   Link #1
ImperialPanda

What happens when you poke the IDE cable?

So I just found out I don't have much luck when cleaning my computer.

3 years ago I ruined my ATI 9700 pro. (never hold the freaking air can upside down. -_-;;;;) And this time I somehow managed to put some nice dents in my IDE cable while I had the drives out.

Anywho now the CD/DVD drives are going really, REALLY slow (like ~45s from disk recognition to opening explorer). While I'm 99% sure this is because of the cable can anyone confirm? It's not at the point where there's a see-through hole in the cable but it's nicely dented. Shaped like the lead tip of a pencil, a little smaller in size.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 22:24   Link #2
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Bending the cable could stretch the wires inside it even further, restricting the electrical current that the data is carried on.

IDE ribbons are cheap, so its easy to replace to test.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 22:36   Link #3
ImperialPanda

$10 hurts my poor student wallet heh.
Old 2006-02-04, 23:06   Link #4
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Skip a couple of lunches. Or if its on a card sell your lunch to a friend.
I've done that a couple of times it hasnt had that much effect on me.

*Body type info*
6 foot tall
130 Pounds

Well... I definitely didnt do it often enough to get these kind of results.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 18:03   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialPanda
(never hold the freaking air can upside down. -_-;;;
Just on the subject of air canister usage, try to avoid tilting at an extreme angle, as well. I think they don't recommend tilting it more than 45 degrees. Otherwise, you get some of the foam stuff to come out, and that can damage your electronics.
Old 2006-02-06, 13:16   Link #6
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
A damaged cable would result in data errors. Check the windows event log for read errors coming from a cdrom device. If you have this then swap out the cable and test again. A small dent or crimp won't have any effect on data transfer speeds, but significant damage will (IE it's been badly mashed or the insulation is ripped.)

If you've got lots of read errors in the event log, even after you replace the cable, check if you've installed any games that use "StarForce" copy control, as that's known to deliberately damage CD-Rom performance over time. If that's not the case, then it's quite possible that your drive is damaged. Test it in someone else's system before replacing it.

Also, it's not foam. The same material that blows out of the bottle when held properly is the same stuff that comes out when you hold it upside down. The only difference is that upside down it comes out super-cold, causing it to come out as a liquid. It expanding outside the can drops the temperature in that area so much that carbon dioxide will condense and solidify on whatever you hit, and that also leaves lots of moisture behind.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 19:45   Link #7
Willuknight
Animeblogger

Send a message via AIM to Willuknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialPanda
$10 hurts my poor student wallet heh.

Just go to a dump, and rip one out of an old pc, or find another computer that someone is chucking out. (just dont get a floppy drive one)

They are incredibly easy to get and i'd consider them worthless.

On the other hand, it would probably cost about $5us to get a nice rounded IDE cable - they are worth it ^^
Willuknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 22:31   Link #8
ImperialPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
A damaged cable would result in data errors. Check the windows event log for read errors coming from a cdrom device. If you have this then swap out the cable and test again. A small dent or crimp won't have any effect on data transfer speeds, but significant damage will (IE it's been badly mashed or the insulation is ripped.)
Yep I got have a crapload of cdrom errors in the event viewer heh.
Old 2006-02-10, 17:28   Link #9
Shadowlord
~DESU

twisting and bending IDE cables shouldnt slow down transfer rates. I have crumpled IDE cables into more shapes and poses than a yoga master and I have never had a problem. Its a differrent story if the cables are physically broken however. Anyway, you can grab IDE cables for $1-2 so its not like its expensive to replace if there is something wrong.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote