AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-20, 15:00   Link #1101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Meh, almost all anime are guilty of 'strong commercial objectives.' I see no difference if they're trying to market toys or sell dvds. Or in the case of Nasu like other LN-based works, the anime of his works are largely made just to sell more of LNs. :shrug:
Whatever the issue is people have with this show at this show it's more than likely cause it's got mecha. I've noticed that for whatever reason any sort of commericialization of a stories elements is all well and good in almost any scenario be it magical girl, idols, superheroes or whatever, but once you introduce mecha or shonen battle elements people tend to freak the fuck out and you get pages upon pages of confused posters claiming a show doesn't make any sense, is cliche, is full of plotholes, would be better without the mecha or shonen elements and what have you. Madoka Magica is a dark magical girl tale, Gundam AGE and the like are just toy commercials, and that's how the dynamic has been set up despite both having elements of commerical intent at the same time as trying to tell a story.

I'm honestly tempted to blame /m and 4chan culture in general. They've poisoned the well so to speak when it comes to how much enjoyment, appreciation and understanding people can get out of mecha shows these days. For those in the know about mecha history they seem to want every show to be exactly like Armored Trooper Votoms and get butthurt when somethings not, for those not in the know they seem incapable of putting two and two together and just shriek plot hole at everything because they don't even take the time to consider how plot element A goes together with plot element B and character outlook C to create plot arc D. It's bloody dumb and annoying and I kind of wish it would stop, but alas that seems to just be the way mecha fan culture is these days.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-07-21 at 06:20. Reason: unecessary comment removed.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 16:16   Link #1102
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibonga View Post
i have the VN for Extra and Alternative, should i play em first or watch anime first
Read them first. The anime is based on a side story made for those who already finished the trilogy so reading those first is highly adviced if you wan't to read them at all.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:43   Link #1103
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by halibonga View Post
i have the VN for Extra and Alternative, should i play em first or watch anime first
Play. So you will be less lost.
Old 2012-07-20, 21:58   Link #1104
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

@Kaioshin_Sama: So whoever doesn't like toy advertisements mecha is either misguided or trolling Having high expectations after getting into the franchise (Extra/Unlimited/Alternative) through derivative works, and getting disappointed by what was chosen to animate in order to test the loyalty of the most hardcore fans is something that must be not shared
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 22:12   Link #1105
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I'm pretty sure any COSEAN mix would be slanted towards the F-16, given that Indon, Thailand and Singapore use the F-16, and Phillipines has expressed interest in it.

Large numbers of F-5s would have gotten chewed up in earlier engagements, I think, which would require replacements.

Malaysia would choose the F-18 because of wanting to be different, as well as perhaps influence from the Australians. Which might mean no Sukhois for us, unless Najib got all crazy with his buying ideas again... Hmmm. Butterworth hosts rotating dets of RAAF... RMAF/RAAF exchange programs.... I can work with this.

The Five Powers Defensive Agreement involves the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia.

Also, I'd thing you Singies would be getting Eagles - Strike Eagles at least, with the option for Silent Eagles in the future.
I know the real world forces used those planes, but the problem with this is that canon stated that COSEAN get super hornets.
Old 2012-07-20, 23:44   Link #1106
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I know the real world forces used those planes, but the problem with this is that canon stated that COSEAN get super hornets.
Source? I don't have your Ion Canon dodging skills, remeber?

Not that it matters much to me, I'm setting my story in the mid 90s. Even if COSEAN is using Super Hornets as of 2001, that still gives me a few years of logistics issues, maintenance problems, Malaysians buying TSFs without arranging contracts for spare parts, politiking, incompetence, etc etc andnenough time for all this wildly disparate inventory to get destroyed or mission killed by BETA, forcing an ugrade to a common standard.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-07-23 at 12:09. Reason: Reference to delted post removed...
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 00:55   Link #1107
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
@Kaioshin_Sama: So whoever doesn't like toy advertisements mecha is either misguided or trolling Having high expectations after getting into the franchise (Extra/Unlimited/Alternative) through derivative works, and getting disappointed by what was chosen to animate in order to test the loyalty of the most hardcore fans is something that must be not shared
Have you played the other games? or the trilogy before Total Eclipse? I haven't played it but from reading Wkia. Extra is your typical eroge game and Unlimited and Alternative is when things turn insane.

And from the people who played the game of Total Eclipse which I read in this thread. They said its made as a side story and totally different one which show more mecha and a different side of the story because its the story where the weapon was being made which will be used in the front lines.

The first 2 episode based on what the people in this thread said is what like Alternative or Unlimited (though is the first 2 episode canon to the game?) and episode 3 is the real beginning of the story of Total Eclipse.

The transition of events might be pretty bad and their is a time skip. After watching episode 1 and 2 I though really that it will be Yui as a main character thus I ask before is this a game where you use the girl to kill aliens but they say it isn't and their is a guy that which was introduce in episode 03. When I heard that information. I tried to read it in vndb and wikia for information of Total eclipse though only brief info. I don't want to be spoiled about the story yet so I didn't feel that bad. And if its really made to show more mecha then I'm fine too though a bit sad. It looks like unlimited and alternative is much better.

I was planning to play the game but when I see that the requirements for unlocking Unlimited is finishing Extra. I was taken back or get lazy -_- it just feel not the same. So a question. Is Extra worth playing and is it really had that different feel on it? because their is no BETA in it yet from what I read.
Old 2012-07-21, 02:10   Link #1108
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Yes it's really worth playing since Alternative simply won't be nearly as good without it. Yes, the fight scenes are still nice but they're not really an important part of the VN. Without it you'll miss a lot of other things, character development for example. And a lot of the story becomes less meaninful.
It would be sort of like reading The Return of the king without reading Fellowship and Two Towers beforhand.
Old 2012-07-21, 02:25   Link #1109
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Have you played the other games? or the trilogy before Total Eclipse? I haven't played it but from reading Wkia. Extra is your typical eroge game and Unlimited and Alternative is when things turn insane.

And from the people who played the game of Total Eclipse which I read in this thread. They said its made as a side story and totally different one which show more mecha and a different side of the story because its the story where the weapon was being made which will be used in the front lines.

The first 2 episode based on what the people in this thread said is what like Alternative or Unlimited (though is the first 2 episode canon to the game?) and episode 3 is the real beginning of the story of Total Eclipse.

The transition of events might be pretty bad and their is a time skip. After watching episode 1 and 2 I though really that it will be Yui as a main character thus I ask before is this a game where you use the girl to kill aliens but they say it isn't and their is a guy that which was introduce in episode 03. When I heard that information. I tried to read it in vndb and wikia for information of Total eclipse though only brief info. I don't want to be spoiled about the story yet so I didn't feel that bad. And if its really made to show more mecha then I'm fine too though a bit sad. It looks like unlimited and alternative is much better.

I was planning to play the game but when I see that the requirements for unlocking Unlimited is finishing Extra. I was taken back or get lazy -_- it just feel not the same. So a question. Is Extra worth playing and is it really had that different feel on it? because their is no BETA in it yet from what I read.
To get the absolute most out of Alternative you need to have played through EXTRA and Unlimited.

Yes, EXTRA is a horrificly generic VN filled with cliches and plot twists you can see coming miles away, but its intentional and you will understand why its like that once you play Alternative.

If you want to play through the absolute minimum and then head over to Alternative:

Spoiler for The absolute minimum you need to play through before heading into Alternative, just naming the routes needed and no spoilers:
Old 2012-07-21, 02:54   Link #1110
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
You realize the shows just started right. I just want to throw that out there because I think it will become critically important down the line.

Do you not like mecha though? Do they offend you deeply? If the answer is yes then this show was never meant for you. If the answer is no I'd suggest waiting for some more actual content. It helps to get a proper sampling of something before summarily declaring it a let down. I'm not saying it will be what you are looking for, but the haste to make an early judgement that this particular show seems to have attracted is rather err..hasty.

Also if you confused this with one of the other Muv-Luv iterations then I don't even really know what to say other than that's kind of your own personal problem to sort out, not the shows.

By the way just as a general aside, am I the only one that doesn't really see much difference or tonal shift between the 2nd and 3rd part of the show? All that's changed really is that the cast is more culturally diverse and there's more men. Other than that the scenario is still them training to fight the BETA, they're still piloting humanoid robots to do so and they still wear really skintight clothing for some reason.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 02:57   Link #1111
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
*coughs* I think the discussion has definitely drifted from the show when it's come down to taking potshots at each other. Neutral corner, people.

Also, given how the name Alternative was attached to the show, then yes, there IS some level of expectation involved, especially for the fans who've been sticking to the series for almost a decade.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:20   Link #1112
DoomRavager

Alternative is attached to just about anything set in the same world as Alternative (Okay, I guess Schwarzesmarken doesn't). Maybe they might be disappointed that Total Eclipse was chosen to be animated instead of something with more combat deployment/immediate BETA presence, but on exactly that basis they wouldn't be expecting anything substantial out of a TE adaptation besides some flashy CGI.

Not like there's not all that much sidestory out there containing all that much released material to be made into an anime besides TE anyway. Unless they go off and write an anime-original story or something.
DoomRavager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 03:38   Link #1113
Destined_Fate

An Anime Original story might end up angering fans though.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 04:34   Link #1114
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

I think most long term fans are happy to be getting an anime with Muv Luv in it anywhere. I'm quite happy with the anime original first 2 episodes myself.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:55   Link #1115
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post

Think of Extra as the nine or so first episodes of steins;gate when Okarin & friends were mostly goofing around. You did not have to like that part but it build the characters and make you care for them when shit hit the fan.

Extra shows the characters' quirks and interactions that gets referenced in later games.

Also

Spoiler for because being a completionist does have its rewards:
Old 2012-07-21, 06:43   Link #1116
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
By the way just as a general aside, am I the only one that doesn't really see much difference or tonal shift between the 2nd and 3rd part of the show? All that's changed really is that the cast is more culturally diverse and there's more men. Other than that the scenario is still them training to fight the BETA, they're still piloting humanoid robots to do so and they still wear really skintight clothing for some reason.
... Forgive me for being blunt, but you'd have to be blind not to see the tonal shift.

Episode 1 and 2: Despair! Train so you last more than 8 minutes! Resistance is futile! Humanity is finished! We cannot halt the BETA! Death! Death everywhere!

Episode 3: Mock battles! Train and have fun! Flirting! Tease the shorty! Laugh! Fun!
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 06:48   Link #1117
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Episode 1 & 2 have been mostly the Battle of Klendatu in Verhoeven's Starship Troopers without the humor.

Episode 3 is Macross Plus.

It's no wonder why some people have gotten pissed and screamed DROPPED over the blogsphere. However, there are more episodes to come, and if some hints from the LN readers are to be believed the interesting bits will come later. Be patient, people.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:02   Link #1118
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Spoiler for because being a completionist does have its rewards:
Oh god, that's awesome! I was wondering if this was the case, and I'm glad to see it confirmed.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:56   Link #1119
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Episode 1 & 2 have been mostly the Battle of Klendatu in Verhoeven's Starship Troopers without the humor.

Episode 3 is Macross Plus.

It's no wonder why some people have gotten pissed and screamed DROPPED over the blogsphere. However, there are more episodes to come, and if some hints from the LN readers are to be believed the interesting bits will come later. Be patient, people.
Funny you should mention that - one of Alternative's OST tracks is essentially the melody of Klendathu Drop, the music for... Well, the Klendathu Drop.

It's been 12 years since I saw the movie and I can still recall that sequence and the music. A good example of how BGM sets the tone for a scene, and,how the set piece reinforces the BGM.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:00   Link #1120
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

still having some kinda traumatic experience after playing after playing muv luv alternative ..... there scenes that i don't want to recall .. ( times felt sick to stomach, puked ...... times i wanted to just stop playing ....)

might observe this but if to much gore and other creepy stuff i think i stop for a moment ...... but not droping
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen