AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-05-12, 03:19   Link #41
Ermes Marana

You might be stunned not to have seen these:

Future Boy Conan (can't recommend this highly enough)
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
GitS: SAC
Kino no Tabi
Serial Experiments Lain
Monster
Master Keaton
Princess Tutu
Trigun

Taste tends to vary even more for comedies, but it appears you haven't seen any of my 5 favorites:

School Rumble
Azumanga Daioh
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
Full Metal Panic!
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 09:28   Link #42
User68604
Disabled By Request

two words:

SCHOOL DAYS
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:05   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
two words:

SCHOOL DAYS
Two words: never again!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 07:49   Link #44
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Saw your list, I didn't see Guin Saga. Its an heroic fantasy story based on the novel. Its worth a watch, give it a few episodes not just one. The main character is very heroic and a great lead. I really enjoyed this anime.

Last edited by SonOfHeaven; 2011-05-13 at 08:00.
SonOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 21:24   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quick update for those that offered their help:

Finished: Natsu no Sora (review posted on blog and on NnS thread)
Watching (30 eps): Hikaru no Go (most exciting board game series ever!)
Just started: RahXephon (What is it with BONES, exploding public transit and byzantine plots?)
Old 2011-06-06, 21:35   Link #46
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I saw it mentioned earlier, but thought I would second it:

Saiunkoku Monogatari - there are 2 seasons worth. I have only seen season 1 and I really enjoyed it.

I noticed a few World Masterpiece Theatre titles not on your list. (I saw you had Les Miserable as a stalled one, for example.) Your general genres you enjoy seem pretty close to mine, so I am making a wild guess that you might enjoy WMT works as well. Stuff like:

Pollyana: Girl of Love, Akage no Anne and A Little Princess Sara....
Old 2011-06-07, 00:40   Link #47
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I saw it mentioned earlier, but thought I would second it:

Saiunkoku Monogatari - there are 2 seasons worth. I have only seen season 1 and I really enjoyed it.

I noticed a few World Masterpiece Theatre titles not on your list. (I saw you had Les Miserable as a stalled one, for example.) Your general genres you enjoy seem pretty close to mine, so I am making a wild guess that you might enjoy WMT works as well. Stuff like:

Pollyana: Girl of Love, Akage no Anne and A Little Princess Sara....
Thanks - I did indeed start Les Mis and despite being a fan of the novel, it sort of lost me after a bit. Maybe I'll take another look at the WMT library.
Old 2011-06-07, 15:42   Link #48
funkyaristotle

most of the better series were listed by other users including Simoun, Juuni Kokki, Haibane Renmei, Kara no Kyoukai and Monster (all in my top 20 btw).

Some other series you might want to check out are Towards the Terra (The TV series) and Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra , both are Sci-fi/Mystery series with some good character development and interesting settings.
funkyaristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 15:45   Link #49
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Thanks - I did indeed start Les Mis and despite being a fan of the novel, it sort of lost me after a bit. Maybe I'll take another look at the WMT library.
To be honest Les Miserables was my least fave WMT I have seen ... I thought the voice acting in it was stiff and "cardboard'y" - a pity since it is such a great story!

Akage no Anne and Little Princess Sara are both available in full ... Pollyanna is still being rolled out and is up to ep 21 iirc. BTW - prepare for some serious painful catharsis when watching Little Princess Sara!
Old 2011-12-14, 23:31   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Updating: Have finished Gankutsuou and posted a review on the site. Thanks to those who recommended it - quite superb. So far that's Gankutsuou, Hikaru no Go and Rahxephon from this thread. I don't know when I'll have the time to pick up another vintage series (and that makes me sad) but I have several good options here for when I am able to.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2014-02-01 at 09:39.
Old 2011-12-15, 09:29   Link #51
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Thanks for the latest additions to the list - some of them are seconds, and I have seen Kuragehime. The others will definitely go into the hopper for consideration.

It occurs to be that I probably need to add Full Metal Panic to that hopper too - I'm actually surprised no one has suggested it.
Oh yeah... I guess I'd just assumed you'd seen it already. Definitely put that on your list.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 11:05   Link #52
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Enzo,you proclaim yourself a gainax fan and yet Gunbuster isn't on your list?

I am disappoint

The 2 seasons add up to 12 episodes,so it is short.

Another short gainax one would be re:cutey honey (if you don't go hardcore and watch the original 1973 version like I did lol)

edit: on second thought my reaction to cutey honey was "no wonder gainax did something like panty&stocking" so it might not be be a good idea for you to watch it

Last edited by totoum; 2011-12-15 at 11:30.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 11:06   Link #53
User68604
Disabled By Request

Old thread, but I finished Cross Game a few months ago.

I was shocked at the fact that I put off such a gem for so long.
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 07:01   Link #54
Xenio
Flower

look like Princess Tutu still not on your list, you should watch it
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 13:17   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's at the very top of my possible next options, if Winter 2012 turns out to be a flop.
Old 2011-12-16, 14:12   Link #56
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
That's at the very top of my possible next options, if Winter 2012 turns out to be a flop.
I really enjoyed Princess Tutu ... but ... hmm ... I wonder what you will think of it?

I'll add in another vote for the series though.

Also - not so sure if it would be to your liking, but I recently came across it and enjoyed it, so I will recommend it to you as well: Love Get Chu. Oyatsu just finished up the series, and if you go to their site you can find all the eps. It's sort of a strange cross between REC and iDOLM@STER. Sorta....
Old 2011-12-16, 15:42   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I know of Love Get Chu, but it never struck me as something my speed. I've never been crazy about the whole Idol anime thing.
Old 2011-12-17, 00:24   Link #58
Yolks

I'd recommend Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales. It is an adaptation of some japanese ghost stories. But personally, although I am a fan of mythology and stories like that I found the first two arcs to be somewhat boring. They just lacked in captivating me regardless of how cool the source material was. But this show totally redeems itself with the final arc, Bakeneko. It's about a medicine seller who travels around and exorcises spirits. Watch that if anything.

The final arc later lead to its own series Mononoke. Same character, very effective and captivating storytelling. Beautiful artwork as well. It's cool because in order to exorcise the spirits he must find out what form they take, why they have come, and exactly why they were created. Part mystery, part cool. Should check it.

And if you want comedy, Seitokai Yakuindomo might be your thing if you can enjoy double entendres, sex jokes, and females being the ones doing the jokes. Kind of hit or miss for some though.
Yolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 01:46   Link #59
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've seen S.Y. - in fact, I just watched OVA2 today. Frankly I find it a little one note - it's basically 100 variations on the same joke, episode after episode. Once the shock value wears off... I laugh a few times per ep, but I prefer comedies with a little plot and character development.

I've probably had more people make your first recommendation than any other show, and it's always the same - skip the first two arc but watch the last arc of Ayakashi and then Mononoke. It's just a question of finding some time.
Old 2011-12-17, 02:55   Link #60
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I think I've mentioned it before since it was one of my favourite shows of 2010, but Otome Youkai Zakuro. I think that Totoum's description of "historical setting + fantasy + romance + action that's a mix of josei and seinen" probably gets the point across pretty well. Basically, the Japanese army forms a "Ministry of Spirit Affairs" to deal with unrest among spirits resulting from the switch to using a western calendar, pairing three human soldiers with four half human, half spirit girls in the process. The lead couple (seemingly model soldier who is secretly afraid of spirits and a anti-westernization, closet romantic "classic tsundere done right") is pretty funny too.

Possible EF: A Tale of Melodies as well, since you seemed to like its predecessor, although Memories was the better of the two anime IMO.

Edit: Also, a lot of people seem to like Azumanga Diaoh regardless of whether they liked the legion of all girls 4koma adaptations that followed. I don't know if it's the slightly more surreal nature of some of the gags or what, but its a legend for a reason.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote