AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 34 40.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 37.65%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 11.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-01, 20:28   Link #41
Oxtail

I saw the first season of SZS, but never felt the urge to watch the second. I felt the humor got way too obscure and it was kind of preachy. Like I can just imagine the author going off on a rant about a certain aspect of society that he thinks is just way f**k'ed up by making jokes that only the hardest core of Japophile otaku will get.

Compare that to the more broad-ranged humor in Kannagi. I don't know anything about S&M relationships in manga, but I still really enjoyed watching Tsugumi's reactions to the segment in this episode. Or Nagi's goofball puns compared to the cool hip in-jokes on the blackboard in SZS that you need to pause the show and open up a few wikipedia pages to understand.

In short, the two shows are almost in different genres, really, so I don't see how you can even compare them.
Old 2008-12-01, 20:29   Link #42
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
To be honest this episode is probably one of the first where I didn't enjoy every minute of it, even if it was Tsugumi-centered. Don't get me wrong though, still a good episode, just not up to par with the previous eight.

The whole Jin/Tsugumi conversation was cute, but I really wish a certain someone didn't interfere with Jin's choice in the end. >_>
Overall I had some fun with this one. Is a bit too bad that Jin's decision was cut off like that. Too bad for Tsugumi she won't know that Jin would have gone with her. Could be more of a tragic irony at the end of the day. At least they had a nice conversation before Tsugumi had to bring up what she did wrong .

Gotta love Akiba feeling sorry for the corruption of Tsugumi . He was just too careless and the results can't be undone. Can understand that he probably was just covering the art styles which is why they were over so many different genres.

Tsugumi definitely needs to hurry and accept her own feelings. Since she's already at a disadvantage with such competition as it is. Not being certain herself will only make it impossible for her.
Old 2008-12-01, 22:20   Link #43
Itlandm
Porcupine

I am a great fan of the original To Heart also, one of my all-time favorite anime. It is no surprise that I root for the childhood friend here too, hopeless as her case may be. At least I can enjoy seeing her make some memories with Jin.

The craftmanship is outstanding on every level, from the writing to the voices. I also find the comedy quite hilarious. Still, there is a problem. The problem is not the episode, which is great. The problem is the episode we did not get to see, as Samatarou pointed out. If this had been a multi-season series, I could not have been more happy with the way it develops. But now I have this feeling that we may end up with a great story that never gets told, because we were too busy with hilarity. (Kind of like real life.)
Old 2008-12-02, 00:01   Link #44
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
I saw the first season of SZS, but never felt the urge to watch the second. I felt the humor got way too obscure and it was kind of preachy. Like I can just imagine the author going off on a rant about a certain aspect of society that he thinks is just way f**k'ed up by making jokes that only the hardest core of Japophile otaku will get.
Well, ignoring the last part, that's pretty much exactly what satire is. As far as the comparison is concerned, yes, it's only apt to the point that both series are self-aware otaku-centric comedies. Past that, they're obviously very different, with SZS being just about pure satire, while this being part metafiction humour, part sitcom.
Old 2008-12-02, 00:22   Link #45
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I was shipping pretty hard for Jin/Nagi but this episode has pushed me into romantically neutral territory... for now. Kinda' strange, but I'm suddenly not so much concerned about who hooks up with who as I am about what the deal is with Nagi and her dual nature. I was hoping for more insight into that, but I can't complain... lots of fun stuff in this episode. All of the characters in this series are turning out to be highly memorable.
Old 2008-12-02, 07:02   Link #46
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Loved Tsugumi's little foray into doujin world... she is a naughty girlie.

Pretty fun episode overall, but I'm guessing there's a bit more about their junior high years that's still to come out to the picture. Will be fun to get to that, tho.

Old 2008-12-02, 14:08   Link #47
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Please remind that this is episode 9 discussion thread, so other subjects are off-topic (especially if they produce an interesting discussion).

I've moved a bunch of posts, about Kannagi's popularity and DVD sales in Japan, in the Kannagi - Merchandise (Figurines, Artbooks, DVDs, etc.) Thread. Feel free to continue the discussion there.

For discussing the possibility of a season 2, then I suggest using the Kannagi Generic discussion thread.
Old 2008-12-02, 17:36   Link #48
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Jin being about to say "Tsugumi" was one of my favorite moments in the show, since I like Tsugumi (and her voice actress) so much. To tell the truth, I was quite surprised. I didn't realize he had any thought of her that way.

But I thought the rhythm of Nagi talking over it was odd. The timing would have been supervised by sound director Kikuta Hiromi, I think, and she is a highly experienced top pro (Emma, DearS, KgNE, DaCapo, Onegai Teacher, etc., etc.), so I am sure it was intentional.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-12-02 at 18:36.
Old 2008-12-02, 19:56   Link #49
Oxtail

I think it may just be because he feels uncomfortable around Zange seeing as how she's tried to jump him already. Lol.

Everything is there for Tsugumi except for the final piece. As I've been saying since the beginning, if he's not blushing and nose-bleeding while checking her out, nothing's going to happen. Their friendship isn't gonna move to the next level until some physical attraction is thrown into the mix.

Now that Tsugumi's seen him naked, maybe Jin needs some payback in a future episode.
Old 2008-12-02, 22:28   Link #50
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Jin being about to say "Tsugumi" was one of my favorite moments in the show, since I like Tsugumi (and her voice actress) so much. To tell the truth, I was quite surprised. I didn't realize he had any thought of her that way.

But I thought the rhythm of Nagi talking over it was odd. The timing would have been supervised by sound director Kikuta Hiromi, I think, and she is a highly experienced top pro (Emma, DearS, KgNE, DaCapo, Onegai Teacher, etc., etc.), so I am sure it was intentional.
It also could mean he is comfortable with her but not necessarily means he sees her beyond that. Perhaps that's the hint of the talking over, as Nagi overwhelms human girl Tsugumi in metaphorical way.
Old 2008-12-02, 23:27   Link #51
Falkor

a few comments since everyone has already said a bit of what I had in mind...

The episode had so many good moments here and there: tons of Tsugumi for my guilty pleasure, a bit of drama to spark my curiosity, some comedy and more of the never-missing comedy to keep me entertained up to the end. But I’m going to pick a scene in particular at the beginning and these lines for the hilarity it ensued:

“Daitetsu seme da…”
“yappari yappari…”

somebody should make an anime/spin-off with Takako as the main character (I’ll be one to watch it). But regarding these lines, it was conveyed with such an enthusiasm that I couldn’t stop myself from laughing and repeating the same scene over and over again—for the underlying innuendo and comedic effect. I must praise the great job the seiyuus are doing—in this case the supporting cast, which seriously makes a great combination to the outstanding work done by Tomatsu Haruka and Sawashiro Miyuki…

…oh and Tsugumi’s line, followed by her blushing expression and sweet addictive voice:

“dame deseyo, senpai, kore dame, dame…”

I think I was about to die at the pace each word was slowly “pronounced.” I really loved every aspect of Tsugumi's character and personality…
Old 2008-12-03, 01:14   Link #52
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
somebody should make an anime/spin-off with Takako as the main character (I’ll be one to watch it).
Oh hell yes, I'll watch that too!
Old 2008-12-03, 05:53   Link #53
SkoolRumble4Ya

The only one left out of the Harem in Nagi
Old 2008-12-03, 05:55   Link #54
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
The only one left out of the Harem in Nagi
She has already got enough love living with Jin.
Old 2008-12-03, 13:15   Link #55
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
somebody should make an anime/spin-off with Takako as the main character (I’ll be one to watch it).
This needs to happen! I think she is my favorite female character in the show, and she isn't even a main one.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, JAPAN!
Old 2008-12-03, 14:57   Link #56
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I agree with Nagi: "it's exactly the way it should be".

Also of note:
- Akiba can't face Jin anymore.

- They didn't fall for "There are no bisexuals".

- Why do hetero guys believe that gays will be attracted to them specifically?
The homo cliches is what i was laughing at because even in real life some people think Oh god hes gay hes is going to come on to me like they are specifically the target of that persons affections it just makes me laugh. But it was even funnier because Jin gets all the unwanted attention Homo Bi or other wise his mental state will be shot by the end.

Anything with Tsugumi i love and since this episode seemed to be geared straight towards her i enjoyed every moment of it. Her cute way of speaking to reassure Jin and her even cuter body language and mannerisms = pure WIN. A JinxTsugumi would be to my liking but damn childhood friends usually get screwed in anime but i think Nagi was on to something when she said "this is the way it should be"
Old 2008-12-03, 16:38   Link #57
Solafighter
Hige

Why did Nagi opens her mouth, when he just was about to say the name, he chooses. I mean, in his mind, he decided... So Zange-chan is out of race.

Well im very looking forward to the next episode.
Old 2008-12-03, 22:42   Link #58
bloodyknight

Let's not be this quick to decide the choice he made...

I mean... is it really that easy for Jin to make a decision between the three of them?

I couldn't if i am him... Does anyone agree?

Nagi perhaps just did not want any trouble... She is thinking about the future, may be...
Old 2008-12-04, 02:19   Link #59
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyknight View Post
Nagi perhaps just did not want any trouble... She is thinking about the future, may be...
Who knows, maybe she's actually starting to think of Jin as her real brother. I mean, if you lie about something long enough, you could end up believing it.

Of course, I am all for Jin x Tsugumi, so......
Old 2008-12-04, 02:22   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As we get deeper into this series, I think it's beginning to be apparent that the 'shipping part if becoming less and less important - perhaps not beside the point, but certainly not the center of attention. FWIW, I'm a Jin x Nagi guy, so what hope I have I hold out for that...
Closed Thread