AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-14, 17:42   Link #1021
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Well no.. I wouldn't call Souma boring. He's funny at times.

Souma: Himeko wa watasenai!!! UOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!
Chikane: *tongue wrestle*
Himeko: O_O ..... -_- ..... ^_^....
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 17:50   Link #1022
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dwarf
Souma, as Takemi_Ikazuchi points out, is just kind of flat and boring. He's set up as a threat to the Chikane-Himeko relationship and Chikane's rival that that's basically what he is. He has 0 interiority to his character. Plus, it gets kind of repetitive when he always beats up the Orochi and goes "Waaaahhhh!" and does his win pose.
I'd say Souma is quite a well-developed character, he doesn't have as much internal conflicts as Chikane, but he's much more interesting than Himeko. He is very determined in his pursuit of love, he battles against his Orochi blood, he made his own decision when facing his brother Tsubasa. He doesn't become indecisive or angsty when facing seemingly insurmountable odds and pain, that's exactly why he's likeable IMO, he's just very strong-willed. I don't know why you think he has 0 interiority, there are plenty of character development for him, from the childhood memories, talks with his friend, training with his power, the fight agaisnt Tsubasa, talks with Himeko. He manages to be a hotblood determined character but not some plain idiot like Seiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi

LOL I'd say that's the single funniest moment in animes of recent years, and the funniest part is, it's not even a comedical scene
Quote:
It's all about Ikki </off topic>
Totally agree!
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 17:52   Link #1023
Takemi_Ikazuchi

It's all about Ikki </off topic>
Old 2004-12-14, 18:11   Link #1024
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Just a simple question: was it ever stated that one of the priestesses needs to be sacrificed at the hands of the other to seal the Orochi, or is that just an inference people made based on the flashbacks?
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 18:30   Link #1025
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Just a simple question: was it ever stated that one of the priestesses needs to be sacrificed at the hands of the other to seal the Orochi, or is that just an inference people made based on the flashbacks?
It was never stated, and to be frank I wonder if there REALLY needs to be a sacrifice

One thing's for sure, though. This has happened before in the past and they still managed to seal orochi despite all of that.

I do wonder why they are given swords.. though. Maybe they're supposed to use their swords... but not THAT way. Misintepretation of a divine instruction perhaps?

Edit: or maybe it really is like Saga Frontier. Meaning that Chikane and Himeko are two halves of a same being, and they have to eleminate the other to gain their true self.
Old 2004-12-14, 18:58   Link #1026
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
It was never stated, and to be frank I wonder if there REALLY needs to be a sacrifice
Ay, I think this is one of the reasons I simply can't fully accept Chikane's decision to go down the path of the Orochi. Maybe in the end it'll all clear Chikane up as the selfless saint who became evil herself so she'll be the only one wind up dead, but until then I still see her as a contradicting girl who couldn't deal with the competition and instead used a tragic victim/rapist stature to gain the pity and attention of her obsession. Heck, Souma should've just sunk to that level and self-destructed as well to compete for Himeko's attention...if Himeko doesn't snap, that is. And honestly, I find her whole "switching robes/roles with Himeko so I get sacrificed instead" idea silly. Sure it looks so nice and symbolic as many of you pointed out, but if it really works that easily and the solar/lunar birthmark don't hold any significance, then why not just get someone else to wear the damn solar robe and kill him/her dead after they summon the whatever sword together?

Perhaps a priestess sacrifice is necessary afterall, and Chikane is just an unfortunate tragic heroine. I still don't like her.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 19:15   Link #1027
Takemi_Ikazuchi

I don't think the robe has anything to do with role switching. Rather, she took it as a memento.

The thing about her is....

No matter what your true goal is, you can't just kill her own heart and values like that. At least no normal human being could.

The fact that she could suggest that there's something very very intense at work. Like said before, she didn't just turn 180 degrees, in her case it's closer to 900 degrees. Her behavior is very very.. strange.

The only way I can explain this is she became another Chikane when the past memories flooded back to her. I myself never had centuries worth of heartbreak flooding back in, but I'd assume that would screw me pretty badly too. Souma's burden obviously cannot compare to that.

I guess the closest equivalent to this in videogames would be Miang of Xenogears. Once Miang takes over, the host is assimilated and has minor control left.

My theory is that her mind is in a constant struggle between her current and past selves, and that would explain her various contradictory behaviours.

Edit: But in the end, I'm just like Himeko. She remember Chikane for her kind, gentle self, and strives to bring her back because those moments were truly golden.

Paging: Mentar, could you get on AIM?

Last edited by Takemi_Ikazuchi; 2004-12-14 at 20:54.
Old 2004-12-14, 20:24   Link #1028
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:

That was the...best...anime...scene....ever! I was literally rolling on the floor laughing....every time I rewatched that episode.

Quote:
The fact that she could suggest that there's something very very intense at work. Like said before, she didn't just turn 180 degrees, in her case it's closer to 900 degrees. Her behavior is very very.. strange.
I think she turned 1080 degrees. \/-^_^

Last edited by The Yellow Dwarf; 2004-12-14 at 21:04.
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 21:37   Link #1029
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Newtype magazine ep.12 Spoiler

Spoiler:

In other words.. it's something we already expected...
Old 2004-12-15, 00:52   Link #1030
aniforever

Quote:

oh i love that scene. nothing beats a guy risking his life to save the girl he loves but at that same moment another girl is kissing her. ouch.

this anime has seriously become my all time favorite anime..unless the ending piss me off then it'll be my second fav. damn only one more ep err why? oh why? i wanted more but i guess that's not gonna happen anytime soon or at all for that matter. still a big fan of chikane even after watching ep 11. um dun know about you guys but himeko's crying is really annoying.

also what's with the whole:

chikane: i like you, i love you
himeko: why are you making those lies???

man it gotta suck for chikane when himeko said that. hehe have you ever told someone you love them then they go, why are you lying? ouch. hehe you gotta love this anime.
aniforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 01:51   Link #1031
USCPharmacist

which episode is that from again?
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 02:46   Link #1032
dreamless

Quote:
Edit: or maybe it really is like Saga Frontier. Meaning that Chikane and Himeko are two halves of a same being, and they have to eleminate the other to gain their true self.
and Xenogears. This show already has enough similarities to Xenogears, so why not more? Chikane is Miang and Himeko is the Anti-type
Old 2004-12-15, 06:02   Link #1033
ati

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniforever
also what's with the whole:

chikane: i like you, i love you
himeko: why are you making those lies???

man it gotta suck for chikane when himeko said that. hehe have you ever told someone you love them then they go, why are you lying? ouch. hehe you gotta love this anime.
I definitely agree with you ,how can she said that , I think it's quite hard to someone to say that word ,I know Himeko means Chikane's behavior that pretend to be happy but she's refusing to believe Chikane loves her by saying like that, really hurt for me however why it's so easy for Himeko to accept Souma's feeling did she said like "I think Souma-kun is the one who's waiting for me" ,in contrast the word she said to Chikane was "why are you making those lies?"

Do you think still have anychance for Chikane to be alive?
ati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 06:43   Link #1034
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dwarf
Souma, as Takemi_Ikazuchi points out, is just kind of flat and boring. He's set up as a threat to the Chikane-Himeko relationship and Chikane's rival that that's basically what he is. He has 0 interiority to his character. Plus, it gets kind of repetitive when he always beats up the Orochi and goes "Waaaahhhh!" and does his win pose.
Everyone in the show is kinda flat and boring...

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 07:28   Link #1035
ati

Still have Many problem with Chikane's behavior
Switching the robe, becoming Oroji, want Himeko fight her back, after seeing necklace why did she stop fight and what is their past.
Could they answer all these question in one ep.? I can not believe that.
Old 2004-12-15, 07:40   Link #1036
Mentar
Banned

ati, are you watching a different show?

I mean really - Souma is totally out of the picture. In case you failed to recognize it, check who Himeko always addresses in the previews.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 07:51   Link #1037
dreamless

or check the ED
Old 2004-12-15, 07:59   Link #1038
ati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
ati, are you watching a different show?

I mean really - Souma is totally out of the picture. In case you failed to recognize it, check who Himeko always addresses in the previews.
You're right I just compare them in the other way.

However Mentar what ending do you like? from preview , I don't think Chikane can revive and the last picture comfirm me for her death how bad.
Old 2004-12-15, 08:46   Link #1039
Mentar
Banned

She won't die. Or if she does, she won't stay dead for long. I predict a happy Chikane/Himeko ending after all.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 09:19   Link #1040
ati

Same as me I really need that ending you predict and I think Souma will be alive also.
But if she die ,I think god is the one of Orochi ,he may be the true 8th head.

Last edited by ati; 2004-12-15 at 12:04.

Tags
action, mecha, romance, shounen, yuri