AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-01-19, 20:43   Link #1
kitten320

Cool A mature version of Danganronpa?

I've just finished Danganropa and while I liked the setting, I personally was left dissatisfied with the series over all. Despite trying to be serious, it was hard to take it that way. For starters why is blood purple?

At one point I thought it was paint splashed on their heads.

What I want is a mystery/detective kind of setting where characters are put in a situation where they have to figure out what happened and who is behind it.

First thing that comes to mind is Umineko no Naku Koro ni, especially the first 4 or so episodes. Those were pure gold for me.

Another one is Ghost Hunt.

Soo... any suggestions? You can find my anime list in a signature^^
Old 2014-01-20, 05:31   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

FYI, I think you're looking for a Closed Circle Murder Mystery.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 19:16   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
What I want is a mystery/detective kind of setting where characters are put in a situation where they have to figure out what happened and who is behind it.
Mouryou no Hako fits the bill, but it can be slow going in the middle.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler for supernatural:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 21:51   Link #4
kitten320

Saw it, did not like it.

It was all over the place. The ending felt like if they started to pull things out of nowhere for the sake of making it more creepy than it should be.
Old 2014-01-29, 12:58   Link #5
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Not exactly what you are looking for but if you like mystery you need to watch Ghost Hound
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 13:51   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I would have mentioned Ghost Hound as well if it fit the request more closely. Definitely worth watching.

I think the original three-episode "Bake Neko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales is one of the best, and most moving mystery stories I've seen in anime. The successor Mononoke series has some additional mysteries, but Nakamura's first take on the Medicine Seller stories is still the best.

Quote:
Yup, these stories have that kind of plot. The perpetrators may not always be human, like the "Goblin Cat" of Bake Neko, but they are all brought into this world by human agency. Purging the demons requires unearthing the human stories that explain their appearance and intent.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-01-29 at 14:04.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 15:45   Link #7
kitten320

Cool, will give them a go when I'll get a chance
THANKS!
Old 2014-02-02, 14:48   Link #8
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I've just finished Danganropa and while I liked the setting, I personally was left dissatisfied with the series over all. Despite trying to be serious, it was hard to take it that way. For starters why is blood purple?
The pink blood was maybe just copied over from the game. In the original game the pink blood is probably due to censorship, to retain the rating. Many anime and video games edit out the blood completely or feature colored/black/white blood to make violence/wounds/deaths look more harmless and less scary - to retain a rating for younger audiences which boosts the volume of sales. Examples animewise would be Bleach or Gensoumaden Saiyuuki where the "evaporating" enemy corpses look especially ridiculous.

Back to suggestions. Alas I also do not know an anime which resembles Danganronpa in all aspects. But following your description
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
maybe one of the following is enjoyable for you.

Classic "whodunnits" with locked room mysteries:

The Kindaichi Case Files (Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo). The TV series has not been subbed completely (only around 30 episodes of 148 are available) and it is hard to come by (some are on youtube though... http://youtu.be/c3ZAblddPrc). But the two specials OVA Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: Operaza Kan Saigo no Satsujin (The Third Opera House Murders) and Kyuuketsuki Densetsu Satsujin Jiken (Kindaichi Case Files: The Case of the Vampire Legend Murder) are subbed and can be found online. Vintage 2007. The prequel and much older (1996) movie is also available with subs. The specials offer a very enjoyable 50 minutes each.

The 26 episode TV series Karakuri Zoushi Ayatsuri Sakon (1999/2000) begins with two arcs of "locked room mysteries" (actually a "broken bridge" at the beginning) and is also quite enjoyable. The main character Sakon, a young puppet master and his Edo era Bunraku puppet/alter ego/partner Ukon solve mysteries which usually consist of three to four episode arcs. The series is set in the present but has a very traditional feel, probably because Bunraku nowadays is not as popular anymore and Bunraku performers and even puppet makers have been declared "Living National Treasures" in Japan in an effort to preserve the art.

Both series offer classical episodic mysteries, do not expect great character development.

Other somewhat related:

On your "to watch" list I also found Kikoushi Enma - if I remember right the last two episodes also have a locked room mystery - although all episodes belong more in the (psychological) horror genre than the mystery corner. A little bit unrelated but nevertheless maybe of interest to you is the definitely mature and not for the squeamish 2 episode thriller/mystery by the same director (Kanbe Mamoru) Denpa Teki na Kanojo. I am really fond of this one, vintage 2009.

For the Danganronpa survival horror aspect I will mention Corpse Party: Tortured Souls - Bougyakusareta Tamashii no Jukyou. It kind of has the same concept (in this case trapped students in a school), but it lacks the detective part and plush bears. This one is horror with gore galore and outright disturbing scenes - just saying. Please consider this one as a suggestion on my part, not a recommendation.

Since you also mentioned Ghost Hunt as one of your favorites, you might maybe enjoy Supernatural The Animation, which also deals with paranormal phenomena, mysteries caused by them and features as main characters two brothers who have left their teens behind them. No locked room mysteries though. This is the anime adaptation of two seasons of a live-action series done by Madhouse. Great visuals and art, looks like a western comic actually.

And last because this is maybe too far off but also kind of corresponds to your "mystery/detective kind of setting where characters are put in a situation where they have to figure out what happened and who is behind it" requirement:
Shion no Ou. This one is quite unique. A mix between mystery and (sports-) game. 13 year old heroine Shion had to watch the murder of her parents at the age of 5 and was forced to play a game of shougi by the murderer resulting in a deep trauma causing all her memories of the incident lost and the inability to speak. In the present she has become a professional shougi player and while she slowly makes her way up the ranks, bits and pieces of the murder start to drift up and begin again to influence her life. A little like Hikaru no Go minus some shounen and instead sprinkled with a murder mystery...

Last edited by Moresca; 2014-02-02 at 15:29. Reason: grammar sux
Moresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 13:56   Link #9
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moresca View Post

Since you also mentioned Ghost Hunt as one of your favorites, you might maybe enjoy Supernatural The Animation, which also deals with paranormal phenomena, mysteries caused by them and features as main characters two brothers who have left their teens behind them. No locked room mysteries though. This is the anime adaptation of two seasons of a live-action series done by Madhouse. Great visuals and art, looks like a western comic actually.
If you like the Supernatural animation then see: The source material.