AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2016-03-08, 15:37   Link #261
Nerroth
NePoi!

I wasn't sure if there was a thread for Japanese-related items and places which aren't in Japan itself, but this seemed to be the next best place.

I wanted to mention a couple of the places over in Ireland where Japanese artifacts can be found - most notably the Chester Beatty Library, located on the grounds of Dublin Castle:

The CBL's collection is divided into secular and religious arts of the book, as well as into Western, Islamic, and East Asian galleries. One of the interesting Japanese items they have is a scroll depicting Dejima (only a portion of which is shown in the online preview).

Elsewhere in Dublin, the National Museum of Ireland's Decorative Arts and History campus at Collins Barracks contains a collection of Asian art, plus a number of Japanese items in the What's In Store? exhibit.

That said, Collins Barracks is much more notable for its exhibits on Irish military history, such as Soldiers and Chiefs - which looks at Irish soldiering at home and abroad from 1550 to the present day.

Outside of Dublin, there is a Japanese garden in County Kildare:

While in Northern Ireland, there is a small Japanese collection in the Ulster Museum:

Of course, there is another, more recent addition to Belfast's cultural tapestry which I might recommend also...

Last edited by Nerroth; 2016-03-08 at 16:53.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel