Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-19, 19:41   Link #1
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

TO (3DCGI OVA based on 2001 nights)

Lovers of hard sci-fi, huge spaceships and gigantic explosions rejoice, because you're getting a two-episode OVA with exactly that.

TO is an adaption of the 1985 sci-fi manga 2001 nights by Hoshino Yukinobu (it was published in the US by Viz back in 1996). Each chapter of the manga is a semi-independent short story; the two episodes of this OVA (both to be released on October 2) will be covering one chapter each, namely #12 (Symbiotic Planet) and #14 (Elliptical Orbit).

It's directed by Sori Fumihiko (Vexille, Appleseed) and stars people like Hirano Aya (Haruhi), Fukuyama Jun (Lelouch), Ohtsuka Akio (Batou, Snake in the Japanese MGS) and Paku Romi (Ed in FMA).

Last time I tried to hype a show related to someone involved with Appleseed it turned out to be shit (Viper's Creed) but this actually looks rather promising. If nothing else it will have nice spaceships, I guess. I haven't watched Vexille though, maybe that was shit too.

If you want to get a preview of the spaceships/explosions/lasers/other shiny stuff go to the show's official homepage, click "Movie" on the lower left and enjoy.

A review/summary of the original manga is available here (the manga owns, read it if you like sci-fi at all).

Oh and I guess if this show isn't anime enough for asuki a mod will have to delete it, but I'd say it qualifies.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2009-09-19 at 20:17.
Old 2009-09-19, 20:11   Link #2
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
It looks like anime to me. And those are really nice spaceships/explosions/lasers/other shiny stuff.
Old 2009-09-20, 01:48   Link #3
Tri-ring

Hoshino sensei is one of the true geniuses in the Japanese Sci-Fi world and I love his work.
I still hold the 3 part volume manga of 2001 night;Space Fantasia that was first published in 1985.
Most stories are loosely connected to each other creating a backbone to the entire story relating to man's endless desire to travel to the unknown.
It's truely a great read and I hope it will turn out tobe a great anime.

There was another anime produced by Victor entertainment probably in the early 90's, fansubbed by Shinsen-subs circled around the Robison family pulled out from the same manga.

Just GREAT ! !
Old 2009-09-23, 18:47   Link #4
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm excited. Hoping to see some real space fiction. I liked Vexille, so I have a bit of confidence in the director. And just the presence of Hirano and Paku would get my attention, no matter what genre a show was.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-12-23, 15:45   Link #5
cleo

The 1st ep has been subbed.
Old 2009-12-23, 18:22   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Looking forward to watching this in the morning. I have high hopes for it.
Old 2009-12-24, 01:45   Link #7
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I liked the first ep. better than ep 2.

So why did they produce only 2 ep?
Old 2009-12-24, 03:49   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Can anyone point out the group/s who subbed it?
Old 2009-12-24, 04:07   Link #9
Statonxyb
hrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Can anyone point out the group/s who subbed it?
SS-Eclipse

:>
Old 2009-12-24, 07:38   Link #10
Tiberium Wolf

Ep1
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-24, 07:39   Link #11
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Meh... they were ok...

There are some scenes where I felt like they kept the scene running too long (i.e. some pauses of characters reactions were a bit much...).

Oh, and just some really freaky scenes, Ep.01 ending kiss scene... and Ep.02 just had me laughing my ass of with thoughts of "White Power!" running around in my head.
Old 2009-12-24, 10:29   Link #12
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Meh... they were ok...

There are some scenes where I felt like they kept the scene running too long (i.e. some pauses of characters reactions were a bit much...).

Oh, and just some really freaky scenes, Ep.01 ending kiss scene... and Ep.02 just had me laughing my ass of with thoughts of "White Power!" running around in my head.
At least a brother didn't die first.

For ep 1, at least she survived. I kept expecting the better female character to die a miserable death like in Vexile. Yeah, that relationship is a "weird" one definitely and an extreme way to remedy it imo.
Old 2009-12-25, 04:04   Link #13
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
At least a brother didn't die first.
Yeah... he just became "white" and was getting high on oxygen and "shrooms"
Old 2009-12-25, 06:12   Link #14
firehawk12

I really liked the first episode. It had the feel of Planetes without the benefit of a long run time to establish any of the technology or setting.

It's funny though, it took 13 episodes to do what they did here in 45 minutes... and of course, both raise the question without really providing any answers. Although, the value of deep space exploration in this universe is the mining of a resource that can provide power to Earth whereas in Planetes it was mainly exploration.

I also liked the twist ending. I like time dilation wackiness because it almost never happens in science fiction anymore. It must be a horrible situation on both sides of that relationship.

Anyway, I hope episode 2 is just as good!
Old 2009-12-25, 12:58   Link #15
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Ep1
Spoiler:
Yeah, that part bothered me a lot too. That and the exploding rifle.

Spoiler for ep 1 end:
Old 2009-12-26, 15:52   Link #16
BOZZY

What was up with the ending in the first episode???

Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-26, 16:18   Link #17
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY View Post
What was up with the ending in the first episode???

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Ep 1:
Old 2009-12-26, 16:48   Link #18
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Spoiler for ep 1:
Old 2009-12-26, 19:27   Link #19
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
Spoiler for Ep 1:
Yeah, I thought she ages when she's out of the hiberation capsule. She's in it for 13 years and out of it 2.

She only originally aged 6 years while he aged 45 years from when she first left which kind of explains her shock of seeing her "old" son. This ep. got that "Gunbuster space travel and effects of aging on a relationship" thing down pat. If that bandana was yellow, we could call her Noriko.
Old 2009-12-26, 20:50   Link #20
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
She only originally aged 6 years while he aged 45 years from when she first left which kind of explains her shock of seeing her "old" son.
She knew to expect it (and indeed, she recognized him at once, despite his age). She just didn't expect him to see him on the station. He probably didn't work there the last time she saw him (15 years before).
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, seinen