AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-12-07, 23:19   Link #301
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I worded my post incorrectly. I meant that siblings still have the same pool of genes, with different ones activated in the individual. I'm not a bio major so I'm sure I don't know as much as you but I did not mean to suggest each sibling possesses 100% of their parents DNA, rather I meant to say they are still selected from the same greater pool. I thought you were saying that a child could inherit 100% of their genetic makeup from one parent or the other, when in reality this cannot be true. But that's not what you meant so disregard that.
No, given your explanation here, you've worded it correctly. But the understanding you have of the subject, as indicated by the bolded phrase, is incorrect. I'll try to explain - there will probably be some slightly incorrect wording because it gets complicated otherwise.

Spoiler for going OT:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-08, 22:08   Link #302
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

i want to be spoiled so can someone tell me. Does she love him, like i mean incest love?
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 01:53   Link #303
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Other than that I am aware that the age of consent in Japan is 13 and in addition they can get legally married at age of 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
(While continue to get off topic)
According to this, it's 18 for male and 16 for female.
http://www.interpol.int/Public/Child...s/csaJapan.asp

Although they still need consent if they're minor (20 years old I think...since age of majority is 20 in Japan).
Nationally, age of consent is 13, but prefectures have issued ordinances to make it at 16 to 18 (Kyoto is 18, for example). Legal marriage (after the consent of parents) is at 16. Age of majority is 20.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 03:39   Link #304
Flere821
Lurker

Sorry to interrupt whatever conversation this thread just had, but I had just finished reading LN Vol7 of this series (in Chinese) and I just HAD to vent some of my reactions somewhere:

Spoiler for Ore no Imouto Vol7 comments:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 04:37   Link #305
Kaos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Sorry to interrupt whatever conversation this thread just had, but I had just finished reading LN Vol7 of this series (in Chinese) and I just HAD to vent some of my reactions somewhere:

Spoiler for Ore no Imouto Vol7 comments:
Spoiler for V7 Again...:
Kaos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 06:07   Link #306
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

@Flere821
Spoiler for vol 7:

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-12-09, 16:28   Link #307
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
No, given your explanation here, you've worded it correctly. But the understanding you have of the subject, as indicated by the bolded phrase, is incorrect. I'll try to explain - there will probably be some slightly incorrect wording because it gets complicated otherwise.

Spoiler for going OT:
But by genetic makeup I meant potentially inheritable DNA. What I misperceived was that even the genes not inherited would still be stored in the person, which is not true.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 18:07   Link #308
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
But by genetic makeup I meant potentially inheritable DNA. What I misperceived was that even the genes not inherited would still be stored in the person, which is not true.
That's the thing:
(1) genetic makeup =/= potentially inheritable DNA and
(2) If you inherit something, you've got it (stored in you, if you wish). If you haven't got it, you haven't inherited it.

Genetic makeup = the DNA the individual HAS inherited, i.e. whatever DNA stored in his/her cells.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-12-09, 19:52   Link #309
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos! View Post
Spoiler for V7 Again...:
I'm kinda less ranting about the 'romantic feelings' between the two, and more about how the plot turned almost 180 in terms of girls he stated to care about. After clearly stating he cares about her even though the girl is jealous of him having good relationships with another two girls, half a paragraph later he goes and accepts a confession from one of those two girls mentioned? I don't get that.

(and yes, I'm saying this in a way I won't have to use spoiler tags)
Old 2010-12-09, 19:58   Link #310
Kaos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I'm kinda less ranting about the 'romantic feelings' between the two, and more about how the plot turned almost 180 in terms of girls he stated to care about. After clearly stating he cares about her even though the girl is jealous of him having good relationships with another two girls, half a paragraph later he goes and accepts a confession from one of those two girls mentioned? I don't get that.

(and yes, I'm saying this in a way I won't have to use spoiler tags)
Spoiler for V7:
Kaos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 09:49   Link #311
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
That's the thing:
(1) genetic makeup =/= potentially inheritable DNA and
(2) If you inherit something, you've got it (stored in you, if you wish). If you haven't got it, you haven't inherited it.

Genetic makeup = the DNA the individual HAS inherited, i.e. whatever DNA stored in his/her cells.
Though in light of this fact, I'm confused as to how some traits can skip generations?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 20:02   Link #312
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Spoiler for V7:
True enough, time gap thing is more important that the length of paragraph. Kinda makes me wonder if Kirino will end up trying to get Kuroneko and Kyousuke together just because it's better than the Kyousuke+Manami outcome where Kyousuke might not care about her as much anymore. At least with Kuroneko+Kyousuke pairing the group of four with Saori, Kuroneko, herself and Kyousuke won't be broken up.
Old 2010-12-10, 20:09   Link #313
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Though in light of this fact, I'm confused as to how some traits can skip generations?
Don't worry, you're not the only one. One manga I've read had blond hair from a grandparent show up in the third generation, even though there was no other non-Japanese blood in the family. It's pretty much impossible for this to happen - I'll try to explain.

Spoiler for from earlier post, for reference:

Spoiler for explanation:

So technically, it's possible for Kirino to have natural light blue eyes, though it's highly unlikely that her parents, being Japanese, would have had the required alleles. i.e. she could really be adopted I sincerely hope the author doesn't go for this cop-out.

=====

Quote:
Spoiler for V7:
Though one of my first thoughts on that was "Woah...that celebration party is going to be awkward!"

- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-12-10 at 21:48.
Old 2010-12-10, 21:22   Link #314
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm too biased to comment neutrally -
Spoiler for comment on V7 events:
Old 2010-12-12, 05:09   Link #315
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

I am probably one of the minority who would not hate a Minami ending and even if he does chose Minami at the end, well with his character not much will change with the rest of the characters... He loves the "peaceful" lifestyle and he is a idiot. Oddly enough I have no preference in couple other than not Kirino it would be such a lame twist if she was adopted... How many times has that happened.
Old 2010-12-12, 21:36   Link #316
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
i want to be spoiled so can someone tell me. Does she love him, like i mean incest love?
So far Kirino looks to have a serious brother complex, and you might even argue that there might be incest feeling (those IMO, I thing Kirino is just afraid losing Kyosuke as brother than actual romantic feeling) On the other hand, it's obvious that Kyosuke only looks at Kirino as a sister albeit with sis-con.

His relation with Kuroneko slowly improved from v3, v5, v6, and now v7.

Personally I think everything is fairly logical though I have to agree that accepting Kuroneko's confession was a bit fast considering that he and Kirino just had a falling out. Although it seems that V8 will expand and explain this a bit
Old 2010-12-14, 06:12   Link #317
larethian

Anyone knows whether the LN is licensed for English release?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 12:43   Link #318
Shadow5YA

Quote:
1.) Genes are inherited from both the mother and the father. Humans are diploid organisms, meaning two genes for every trait. One is from the mother, and one is from the father.
2.) Having the gene for a trait does not mean the person will have that trait. There are dominant and recessive genes for traits. A dominant gene will be expressed as a trait, even if the person only has one dominant gene in a pair. A recessive gene will not be expressed as a trait unless the dominant gene is not present, meaning all genes for the trait are recessive. This is how some traits skip generations. Some traits are recessive and do not activate because the dominant gene takes precedence.
3.) Keep in mind that while humans are diploid (paired genes), sex cells are haploid (single genes). Going back to #1, there is no telling which gene the child could have inherited from their parents. If the parent is heterozygous (dominant gene paired with recessive) for a trait, the child could have inherited either gene. In the unlikely case, the child could inherit the recessive gene from both parents who are heterozygous dominant for a trait. That is how you could possibly have brown hair, brown eyed parents (yes, brown/black is the dominant hair/eye color) having a blonde hair, blue eyed child.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 14:52   Link #319
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Anyone knows whether the LN is licensed for English release?
None yet, but you're welcome to join others in pointing it out as a good possibility to Yen Press or your favorite publisher.
Old 2010-12-14, 20:31   Link #320
D-Gold
Aurum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
None yet, but you're welcome to join others in pointing it out as a good possibility to Yen Press or your favorite publisher.
I would love it if yen press picks it up.
(still upset about yen press not having Toradora and a certain scientific railgun license)

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings