AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2012-09-27, 07:56   Link #61
Artimus_Prime
The First Rasengan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
In other words, he was being Tobi at the time, not Madara. What matters is that, to the audience, he was most certainly Tobi. Only later did he impersonate Madara. And that's kind of beside the point, because who says he can't impersonate Madara with short hair? How many readers held onto the belief that he was "Old Madara" beneath that mask despite the short hair?

That's not true. Kishi changed the style of his characters post time skip. Not just hair, but clothing as well. Not everything about a character's design must remain constant. Change in clothing or hair can reflect growth, maturation, or simply a different time period.

Tobi changed his hairstyle. But should we ignore the fact that he also changed his clothes and mask? When Tobi switched from the Spiral mask to the Sharinnegan mask, was it logical to conclude that there was a different person behind each of those masks? If it's one person per hairstyle, doesn't it follow that it's one person per mask as well?

Sorry. I do not understand this fixation with Tobi's hair.
-being with twist.

In the translation I read, it seems that there is a third Zetsu that located Rin and Kakashi. Could they be talking about Black Zetsu?
In the translation I read, obito specifically asks, where's the other white one and they said he was outside spying
Old 2012-09-27, 09:33   Link #62
itachi-san314

Quote:
In other words, he was being Tobi at the time, not Madara. What matters is that, to the audience, he was most certainly Tobi. Only later did he impersonate Madara. And that's kind of beside the point, because who says he can't impersonate Madara with short hair? How many readers held onto the belief that he was "Old Madara" beneath that mask despite the short hair?
i think you missed my point. to nagato, konan and itachi he was being madara. those are the major players in akatsuki. people like deidara didnt really matter to tobi and were just pawns in akatsuki basically. he can impersonate madara with short hair. but if he already did it with long hair, why would he switch it up? doesn't make sense

Quote:
That's not true. Kishi changed the style of his characters post time skip. Not just hair, but clothing as well. Not everything about a character's design must remain constant. Change in clothing or hair can reflect growth, maturation, or simply a different time period.
right, he changed their styles to reflect a growth or change in character. therefore something must have happened to reflect a growth or change in obito for him to have cut his hair. that or it's a different person.

Quote:
Tobi changed his hairstyle. But should we ignore the fact that he also changed his clothes and mask? When Tobi switched from the Spiral mask to the Sharinnegan mask, was it logical to conclude that there was a different person behind each of those masks? If it's one person per hairstyle, doesn't it follow that it's one person per mask as well?
nope. the changing of the mask is significant too. it just doesn't strike me as signifying a different person as much as hair does. when he changed to rinnegan mask he not only changed via gaining rinnegan but he changed intent in that he wasn't lurking in the shadows anymore. he took the offensive and started the war. thats a major change both physically and mentally and it was accompanied by a new mask.

Quote:
In the translation I read, it seems that there is a third Zetsu that located Rin and Kakashi. Could they be talking about Black Zetsu?
in the one i read it was stated that this 3rd zetsu was another white one
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 11:59   Link #63
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

He changed his spiral mask to hide his face, into a rinnegan mask that also protects his head like a helmet. Basically it means he is "truly ready for battle".
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 12:04   Link #64
Hiking_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
i think you missed my point. to nagato, konan and itachi he was being madara. those are the major players in akatsuki. people like deidara didnt really matter to tobi and were just pawns in akatsuki basically. he can impersonate madara with short hair. but if he already did it with long hair, why would he switch it up? doesn't make sense
It does make sense. Why must Tobi's hairstyle have any bearing on his ability to fool Itachi, Nagato or Konan? The point is that the character has no motive to either cut or grow out his hair. So why focus on it all? The real motive is the author's motivation. Looking at it from that perspective, the change in hairstyles makes perfect sense. To the reader, Tobi is just Tobi initially. Only later is he "Madara". When Tobi begins telling his flashback stories of Madara, he is shown with long hair. This is to sell us on the idea that Tobi is Madara. And apparently Kishi's trick worked on many. The changing hairstyles do have a reason. But it's the author's reason, not Obito's.

Quote:
right, he changed their styles to reflect a growth or change in character. therefore something must have happened to reflect a growth or change in obito for him to have cut his hair. that or it's a different person.
It was never logical to conclude that Tobi was two different people, especially since it was pointed out that Kisame recognized both long-haired and short-haired Tobi as the same person. So, let's conclude that Obito's change in appearance reflects growth or different periods in his life. Then, what exactly is the inconsistency on Kishi's part?

Quote:
nope. the changing of the mask is significant too. it just doesn't strike me as signifying a different person as much as hair does. when he changed to rinnegan mask he not only changed via gaining rinnegan but he changed intent in that he wasn't lurking in the shadows anymore. he took the offensive and started the war. thats a major change both physically and mentally and it was accompanied by a new mask.
The point is that a different mask does not imply that we have a totally different character. And without other supporting evidence to back it up, hair does not imply it either.
Old 2012-09-27, 14:11   Link #65
Suika-Esper
Sage Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
the kyuubi and others thought it was the real Madara (Zetsu can become someone else so that nobody can sense any difference).
This begs the question, why didn't Madara just make Zetsu clones of himself before he got so old? He wouldn't have needed Obito to carry on his wishes.
Suika-Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 14:49   Link #66
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Thinking... if Madara transferred his memories to Obito via tsukuyomi it wouldn't be too surprising that a being who has 10-15 years of "Obito memories" and at least 80 years of Madara would end up thinking of themselves as closer to Madara then Obito.

Tho in the end it doesn't have to mean much. The Kages of a given village are somewhat supposed to be in continuity and continue on the will of their predecessors. Madara would've done the same with his followers. Your choice : a bunch of living and talking plants or Obito.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 16:06   Link #67
b1gdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
And people defend this mind you, plus the fuel shown in this chapter of him fawning over Rin to the point of taking Kakashi out of the picture. You know Naruto wasn't THIS creepily obsessed with Sakura, but no, people will still defend Obito as the tragic little Naruto clone who just didn't get his way and his revenge being justified in every way because he is an Uchiha and nothing more, as decreed by the Uchiharem.
Thank you! And i couldn't have said it better.
b1gdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 16:09   Link #68
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suika-Esper View Post
This begs the question, why didn't Madara just make Zetsu clones of himself before he got so old? He wouldn't have needed Obito to carry on his wishes.
Zetsu clones are weak, we see that in this war. Maybe Madara made some clones that carried out some tasks where they don't need to fight against serious enemies, for example looking after Nagato and random spying missions.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 17:47   Link #69
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
But the whole plan of obtaining the 1st hokage's cells/DNA happened decades before Orochimaru existed. Well, at least it seems that Madara's knowledge of how to properly combine the cells with his own body isn't on Orochimaru's level. Maybe he obtained the rinnegan eye being attached to some kind of 1st hokage DNA machine instead of upgrading his body as Kabuto did when he summoned Madara. So it was not only life support but also a machine that injects the DNA needed for the rinnegan transformation.
I'm just expecting Oro to appear behind the present Obito and Madara and be like "gotcha bitch!" and take over their bodies or something.
Old 2012-09-27, 19:48   Link #70
Kowai

Blind post (idk if it's been said) but zetsu = the symiobote from spiderman and Tobi = venom
Old 2012-09-27, 21:11   Link #71
Artimus_Prime
The First Rasengan!!

Quote:
It was never logical to conclude that Tobi was two different people, especially since it was pointed out that Kisame recognized both long-haired and short-haired Tobi as the same person. So, let's conclude that Obito's change in appearance reflects growth or different periods in his life. Then, what exactly is the inconsistency on.
The madara that met kisame was the real deal
Old 2012-09-28, 05:54   Link #72
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

maybe madara was the one that was wearing the zetsu when fighting minato. kishi can't just have minato assume that tobi is madara and make him look like a fool. he is the dumbledore of naruto, he planned naruto's entire life path out.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 07:08   Link #73
Artimus_Prime
The First Rasengan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
maybe madara was the one that was wearing the zetsu when fighting minato. kishi can't just have minato assume that tobi is madara and make him look like a fool. he is the dumbledore of naruto, he planned naruto's entire life path out.
You would have to account for the right eye that real madara doesn't have. Then ok maybe he found one, but kamui was in effect so he stole/borrowed obitos eye? Even ignoring the damages left arm real madara is unlikely in my opinion. A further out thought is that obito donned another zetsu suit. This time the suit had hair LOL. Another option is zetsu clone but we had witnessed these clones unable to use signature moves plus they revert back to clones after a major hit. I wanna say that masked guy was obito jus need sum clarification on that left arm damage...

Last edited by Artimus_Prime; 2012-09-28 at 07:47.
Artimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 08:30   Link #74
itachi-san314

Quote:
The real motive is the author's motivation. Looking at it from that perspective, the change in hairstyles makes perfect sense. To the reader, Tobi is just Tobi initially. Only later is he "Madara". When Tobi begins telling his flashback stories of Madara, he is shown with long hair. This is to sell us on the idea that Tobi is Madara. And apparently Kishi's trick worked on many. The changing hairstyles do have a reason. But it's the author's reason, not Obito's.
but the readers already bought that tobi was madara before they saw him with long hair in those flashbacks. your logic works both ways. if tobi didn't need long hair to convince other characters, then he didnt need long hair to convince the readers. i can see what you're saying as being a possible outcome though.

Quote:
It was never logical to conclude that Tobi was two different people, especially since it was pointed out that Kisame recognized both long-haired and short-haired Tobi as the same person. So, let's conclude that Obito's change in appearance reflects growth or different periods in his life. Then, what exactly is the inconsistency on Kishi's part?
as long as there is some kind of reason for obito cutting his hair short i will most likely be satisfied. i just dont want kishi to gloss over it like it didnt mean anything. also i think it was logical (not anymore of course) to assume it was 2 people. kisame could have been fooled with a genjutsu fairly easily. he was itachi's bitch afterall since he couldn't handle the sharingan

Quote:
The point is that a different mask does not imply that we have a totally different character. And without other supporting evidence to back it up, hair does not imply it either.
true, but i do like reasons for things. even in reality there is a reason when someone with long hair cuts their hair short, whether it be external, internal or both. they dont just do it for no reason. in literature, things like that should carry even more weight
Old 2012-09-28, 12:11   Link #75
Hiking_Bear

Quote:
but the readers already bought that tobi was madara before they saw him with long hair in those flashbacks. your logic works both ways. if tobi didn't need long hair to convince other characters, then he didnt need long hair to convince the readers. i can see what you're saying as being a possible outcome though.
Convincing readers is not the same thing as convincing characters. The author has complete control over what his characters think; that's not the case with the readers.

Quote:
also i think it was logical (not anymore of course) to assume it was 2 people. kisame could have been fooled with a genjutsu fairly easily. he was itachi's bitch afterall since he couldn't handle the sharingan
Actually, this is known as backwards or reverse reasoning. You start with the conclusion - that Tobi is two people - and then work backwards to fabricate a possible explanation for Kisame's reaction that would fit the predetermined conclusion. Careful with this. A logical conclusion is one that starts with known facts and evidence and then bases a conclusion off of them.
Old 2012-09-28, 18:10   Link #76
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimus_Prime View Post
You would have to account for the right eye that real madara doesn't have. Then ok maybe he found one, but kamui was in effect so he stole/borrowed obitos eye? Even ignoring the damages left arm real madara is unlikely in my opinion. A further out thought is that obito donned another zetsu suit. This time the suit had hair LOL. Another option is zetsu clone but we had witnessed these clones unable to use signature moves plus they revert back to clones after a major hit. I wanna say that masked guy was obito jus need sum clarification on that left arm damage...
I used to care about little details like that, but after the past few chapters I've come to the conclusion that kishi cares little about continuity of the hints that he has dropped, or that I/we read too much into them.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 18:33   Link #77
dagr81
The legendary dragoon

what if mandra gave zetsue chakra to copy him then had obit go into zetsue like he did now?
that way karima thinks it mandra but its obit within zetsue?
dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 10:41   Link #78
battle22

Quote:
what if mandra gave zetsue chakra to copy him then had obit go into zetsue like he did now?
that way karima thinks it mandra but its obit within zetsue?
I see.. O.o ..Um what?
Old 2012-09-29, 11:08   Link #79
itachi-san314

Quote:
Convincing readers is not the same thing as convincing characters. The author has complete control over what his characters think; that's not the case with the readers.
that is true, but when characters are convinced of something it needs due reason as well. kishi can make his characters think whatever he wants, but it still has to make sense to the readers that they were convinced with a proper reason. in other words, be it characters or readers, the reason must be pretty sound. there wasn't much of a reason to doubt tobi being madara back before we saw him with long hair. i always thought that he would be at least partly madara which looks to be turning true

Quote:
Actually, this is known as backwards or reverse reasoning. You start with the conclusion - that Tobi is two people - and then work backwards to fabricate a possible explanation for Kisame's reaction that would fit the predetermined conclusion. Careful with this. A logical conclusion is one that starts with known facts and evidence and then bases a conclusion off of them.
not really. assuming hair would grow that fast and be cut for no reason isn't very logical thinking. i assumed back when i thought tobi was 2 people, that obito wouldn't even have had time to grow his hair that long. i still think its impossible even though it looks like it happened.

the hair thing doesn't make sense to me at all which is why i harp on it still. look at it like this:

obito grows hair long in madara's chamber while training
obito cuts hair to fight minato
obito grows hair long again while playing mizukage and to meet itachi for the uchiha slaughter
obito cuts hair again before he officially joins akatuki as tobi

does that make sense to you? it doesn't to me. the biggest problem is the short hair vs minato. but it also makes no sense to ditch the long hair when still playing madara
Old 2012-09-29, 13:21   Link #80
Hiking_Bear

Quote:
that is true, but when characters are convinced of something it needs due reason as well. kishi can make his characters think whatever he wants, but it still has to make sense to the readers that they were convinced with a proper reason. in other words, be it characters or readers, the reason must be pretty sound. there wasn't much of a reason to doubt tobi being madara back before we saw him with long hair. i always thought that he would be at least partly madara which looks to be turning true
The reason the characters were convinced was because Tobi had knowledge and power that only someone of Madara's caliber could have (or so they thought). Kishi gave his characters reason enough to believe it was Madara. For the readers, that's not good enough, namely because of Obito Theory. Here's the major difference you need to consider: Did the characters ever bring up Obito as a suspect? No. But the readers did. So, it's reasonable that the readers would need some extra incentive to buy into the Tobi=Madara story. Remember when Kishi threw us hints that Danzo=Tobi? Now ask yourself whether the motivation for doing that was for the characters or for the readers ....

Quote:
not really.
So you're saying that "assuming the conclusion" is the same thing as a "logical conclusion"? Then anyone could assume any conclusion ... I'm not wrong on this point. It really is called reverse reasoning. Plus, if it were truly logical to assume that Tobi was two people, then that conclusion would have remained true.

Quote:
hair would grow that fast and be cut for no reason isn't very logical thinking. i assumed back when i thought tobi was 2 people, that obito wouldn't even have had time to grow his hair that long. i still think its impossible even though it looks like it happened.
Hair grows about 6 inches per year, maybe faster if Hashirama cells come into play.

Quote:
the hair thing doesn't make sense to me at all which is why i harp on it still. look at it like this:
obito grows hair long in madara's chamber while training
Author's purpose: to show us that time has passed during Obito's rehabilitation
Quote:
obito cuts hair to fight minato
Author's purpose: Student vs. Teacher. In his mind, he already knows that the fight is between Obito and Minato. So, he gives Tobi his Obito hair.
Quote:
obito grows hair long again while playing mizukage and to meet itachi for the uchiha slaughter
Author's purpose: To convince the audience of the idea that Tobi=Madara.
Character's purpose: Minato mistook Tobi for Madara, and perhaps this gave Tobi the idea to impersonate him.
Quote:
obito cuts hair again before he officially joins akatuki as tobi
Author's purpose: He introduced this character as Tobi, not Madara. Giving him Madara hair might have ruined the twist, which was only revealed later.

Quote:
does that make sense to you?
Yes. Because characters don't need deep reasons for cutting their hair or changing their clothes. It's sufficient to say that hairstyle could just change with time. It's not like every other ninja has kept a constant look throughout the series, is it? This is not something specific to Obito. So, Obito cut his hair a couple times in the span of 16 years. Why is this a big deal? I do it at least once a month.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion