zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
*hopes to get Pangya+Wii*
Now I just have to make sure I don't smash random things in my room <_<
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 10:05   Link #102
Zappster

Well price and release date have been revealed for UK. £179 and December 8th. The release date is pretty pleasing since it's not far off especially relative to past Nintendo hardware launches. Not very keen on the price though, I was hoping for a £130-50, similar to the GC one at launch here. The controller is also pretty damn expensive working out to about £44 for a remote and the additional jobbie. £30 for just the remote. At this price I may well opt to import particularly if I see some decent prices on yesasia for example.

I'm not 100% sure I'll be picking one up on launch which is unusual for me, I really want to get one but I also want to know more details about the region locking situation and it'd be stupid to make a purchase too early. Definitely will be picking one up though, that's for sure.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 10:15   Link #103
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

ok- so here's a question: I assume the classic controller is what will be used to play Gamecube games- is this correct? Do all of the buttons seem to match up? I never had a Gamecube, and I'm planning to go back and play Wind Waker and the Metroid Primes- maybe a few others as well.
Old 2006-09-15, 10:54   Link #104
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
ok- so here's a question: I assume the classic controller is what will be used to play Gamecube games- is this correct? Do all of the buttons seem to match up? I never had a Gamecube, and I'm planning to go back and play Wind Waker and the Metroid Primes- maybe a few others as well.
Actually, so far the classic controller was speculated as being used to play virtual console games that require a more traditional gamepad interface. The design is extremely similar to that of the SNES controller, except for a 'Home' button in-between 'Start' and 'Select', what looks to be 4 buttons at the top ('L', 'R' and two other mystery buttons) and the fact that it has 2 analog sticks.

It was believed that Nintendo was going to make a "shell" that looked almost identical to the current Gamecube controller, and that you would slot the Wii-mote into it and use that to play GCN games. There hasn't been much more information on this since though. So one could imagine that the classic controller would be viable for GCN games, although there are some minor differences...like there's a second analog stick instead of a C-stick (almost non-consequential, the second stick could probably serve as the C-stick when playing GCN games) and the lack of a 'Z' button (one of the two mystery buttons could be the 'Z' button though...)

Anyways, since they still have the GCN controller ports I might decide to keep one of my old GCN controllers just in case...unless Nintendo comes forth and explains how GCN games will work with the classic controller, if at all.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 11:39   Link #105
tkdtiger

I think that shell is still going to be made accordind to nintendo. The decided that not because of GCN games, but that they thought some games would still need a more traditional controller from what I've been reading. Anyways you can plug in the GC's controllers into the wii.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 18:56   Link #106
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

About the Classic Shell, it is like that of a traditional controller (like X360), with analog and such, basically made for VC gaming, but can be used for GCN games, could use it for SSBB (SSBB will not use the wii remote-like controller, but traditional controller), and also...that controller could easily be used for fighting games. It will retail for $20.

I posted a list of games, I have a link to a thread, and in the starting post, there is a bigger list of games, so it includes some not in the list I posted:

http://forums.modojo.com/showthread.php?t=143286

Some things to note: the Eyeshield 21 game is being published by Nintendo, it seems.

Konami has an RPG in the works

Also, there is confirmation of a game from Konami Productions. For those who don't know, Hideo Kojima is head of Kojima productions. While awesome news, not a surprise to some, as Kojima actually stated earlier this year that 'he'd like to finish up MGS 4 production so he could start making new games for Wii'.

GearBox Software has a title in the works (bottom of list under misc.). GearBox developed the original Brothers In Arms for PC (IIRC, I'm pretty sure about that).

Unrelated to link posted:

Also, as someone mentioned, the game designer for Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story is on board for making a Wii game. Also, recently, the creator of Castlevania and the man that has been the head of basically all Castlevania games since is showing some real interest in developing for the system.
Old 2006-09-15, 19:16   Link #107
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Meant to post this yesterday, too. Forgot about it.

Resident Evil:Umbrella Chronicles

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732520p1.html

Quote:
September 13, 2006 - In this week's Famitsu magazine, the publication revealed in their Wii section some mention about a new Biohazard game, entitled Biohazard: Umbrella Chronicles. Dubbed as an action game headed by Kawada Masachika, the man who was responsible for the PS2 port of Resident Evil 4, the game's story and characters have yet to be revealed, you can probably take a few guesses as to who's going to show up based on the title of the game.

The article reveals very little about the title, even to suggest that the game will somehow make use of the Wii's remote to manipulate your weapons. I suppose that's something. So far there has been little details about the game so far, and the screenshots that were included with Famitsu's preview make everything even more confusing; one screenshot depicts what seems like an old fashioned dining hall much like the one from the first Resident Evil game, as well as a door that's been blown to bits by some sort of weapon.

More information will most likely be available at the Tokyo Game Show next week, so keep checking back for updates soon!

Some details about this game:

Quote:
Biohazard Wii indepth
Extensive information on the gameplay and content of RE:Wii has surfaced.

-The game consists of 4 "chapters", RE1's mansion, RE2's RPD, RE3's city areas and RE4's village (plus surrounding areas).
-Each chapter has 2 characters to choose from. RE1 has Jill and Chris, RE2 has Leon and Claire, RE3 has Jill and Carlos and RE4 has Leon and Ada.
-There are several characters that can be unlocked by playing through the game: Rebecca Chambers, Hunk and Albert Wesker.
-The gameplay of all chapters is designed around RE4's. Press the B trigger on the wiimote to go into over-the-shoulder view, aim with the pointer and press A to fire.
-The game will have QTEs, but rather than push buttons you have to make motions with the wiimote in order to get through them.
-All characters will have mêlée attacks, just like RE4.
-To encourage replayablility, each character has strengths and weaknesses, similar to how in RE4:Mercenaries Ada had the least health, Krauser was the slowest, etc.
-Just like in RE4:Mercenaries each character has a unique set of weapons. What's more players can only carry 2 weapons at any one time. Chris gets a pistol and shotgun whilst Jill gets a pistol and grenade launcher.
-You will be able to find several new weapons during each stage. For example, RE1 will have Richard's shotgun, RE2 will have the Desert Eagle, RE4 will have the Chicago Typewriter. There will also be new weapons like Krauser's anti-personnel robots.
-Similar to Devil May Cry 3, after each chapter you can save your data and any new weapons picked up will be available for use in Arcade Mode.
-Arcade Mode is like a giant Mercenaries minigame, where you pick a character and stage and blast through it. Building on the resounding success of Mercenaries seen when RE4 was released.
-Scenario mode will feature a large number of ingame cutscenes.
-New content not in the games that the chapters were based on will be added. The primary goal of this will be to link RE4 and Umbrella's status in it more closely with the rest of the series.
-Ammo conservation will play a part in the gameplay, so it's not just constant action like RE4.
-Trailer coming at TGS.
Sounds great for RE fans! It will have RE 4 style game play mechanics, with shooting similar to it but enhanced with the Wiimote, and also have doses of action, melee attacks, and QTE style bits like RE 4, but will also mix in more elements from older RE games, such as ammo conservation and such.

Also, as the above states, there will be extra modes, one like the mercenary mode from RE 4, many playable characters, and it is good to see the man behind the PS2 version of RE 4 is behind this one. I'm sure he'll work with Shinji Mikami on some aspects, but Mikami will be most involved with RE 5. Another thing that is so cool about this RE is that it will go into more detail about the RE world and mythos, aspects of the main RE games, the Umbrella corp., and how Umbrella Corp. went under. Oh, and also, it is very cool how it will go about this by presenting to you scenes and events that took place with multiple characters throughout the main RE games. To RE fans, this is right up there with RE 5; its like, it isn't RE 5 itself, but it seems to be a really good spin off that is true to the main series, like how RE:Code Veronica was (this won't be another RE Dead Aim or RE Outbreak).
Old 2006-09-15, 19:25   Link #108
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Also, as the above states, there will be extra modes, one like the mercenary mode from RE 4, many playable characters...
Hmm,
wonder if you can do the neck-breaker move (HUNK) with the wiimote,
that would be fun, plus cracking neck sound coming from the controller ^^

I guess, like with the cube, i will wait untill
Resident Evil will be released.
(Same for 360 or ps3)
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 20:24   Link #109
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i'm not really a big fan of the prince of persia series, but i could see them doing alot of neat stuff with the remote thing.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 21:11   Link #110
arias

Ha, I see the usual astroturfing like behavior from a certain poster..

Maybe some balance should be brought into the discussion. How come no one is talking about the expensive controllers? I know the console is cheap and is a great selling point. I'm not talking about muddying the enthusiasm or soiling the plusses, I'm talking about balance.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 22:04   Link #111
tkdtiger

Wikipedia has a list of wii games too.
Old 2006-09-15, 22:30   Link #112
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Moi? T_T

It's a Wii thread, and some certain things haven't been posted in it since the recent events happened, so I posted them.

About the controller, yes, it is expensive if you want to buy an additional set of controllers, consisting of the remote and the nunchuck. I dunno, it is a lot, but...I am not really upset about it. For both controllers, it comes to around $60, but I don't see myself buying any more than a second set of controllers for quite some time after it comes out.

I would have liked it if they included an extra set of controllers in the box, but oh well.

On the plus side, it is nice to see the traditional controller priced at $20. It will be great for VC games, and fighting games would be great on it (it isn't like all Wii games have to use the new controller scheme; SSBB won't, for example).

When it comes to PS3 and X360, I don't know which of the two I want. I will probably end up getting a PS3, though, even though X360 has some great games coming. PS3 will have MGS 4 and PS1 games via download. I'll probably get one of those consoles about a year from now, and get an HDTV in late 2007, as well.
Old 2006-09-16, 00:40   Link #113
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias

Maybe some balance should be brought into the discussion. How come no one is talking about the expensive controllers? I know the console is cheap and is a great selling point. I'm not talking about muddying the enthusiasm or soiling the plusses, I'm talking about balance.
I did talk about the controllers...just that no one added to the "conversation" after that... =/ I said...and I quote,
Quote:
The pricing for extra controllers seems a little over-the-top though. I mean, I tend to be a solo gamer most of the time so it won't affect me so much, though occasionally I do play with other people...but even then 2 controllers are usually enough. But $60 ($40 for the Wii-mote, $20 for the nunchuk add-on) for an extra controller stings nontheless. I mean, if you buy the system and, say, your brother is willing to shell out $60 for a new controller for party/co-op games, I'd say it's okay. But that's not something that happens here so...well, I think a Gamespot editor named James Yu said it nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
When it comes to PS3 and X360, I don't know which of the two I want. I will probably end up getting a PS3, though, even though X360 has some great games coming. PS3 will have MGS 4 and PS1 games via download. I'll probably get one of those consoles about a year from now, and get an HDTV in late 2007, as well.
Though I've been tempted by the 360 quite a few times over the past couple of months, I think I'm gonna stick it out for the PS3...too many franchises I like that are exclusive to Sony. But I think I'd probably end up getting a HD-TV earlier on than that...so I can at least take advantage of Progressive Scan on the Wii (none of my TVs are Pro Scan compatible... =/).
Old 2006-09-16, 02:32   Link #114
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark`
I did talk about the controllers...just that no one added to the "conversation" after that... =/ I said...and I quote,
Okay okay, good boy

I'd say those are pretty expensive controllers. They better last pretty damn long too.. if they lose sensitivity easily with a drop. Ba ba bing bling.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 05:12   Link #115
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
meh $60, i can dig. I have no issues with that at all.

if someone loses it or breaks it. they are so totally buying me a new one

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 08:46   Link #116
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I suppose for me, I expected the controllers to cost about as much, so it's no big shocker. I mean, the controllers do have a lot more packed into them than your average gamepad, and they're wireless to boot. The wife and I will certainly each have our own right away, an additional $60 certainly isn't breaking the bank there.

It is a valid point, though. The price of the controllers would be easier to swallow if the system was sold for $200. Even so, a console and additional controller is still much less than a 360. Buying three additional controllers puts it up there, but then you add in the price of three additional 360 controllers and the price difference remains significant, if not quite as exceptional.

Still, I do hope they work well, and last a decently long time.
Old 2006-09-16, 09:11   Link #117
Gibilterra

I will buy wii because I don't like violentical games.
In that point,Wii seems very good and cheap.
PS3 and XBOX 360 should have weighed heavily at game itself.
Gibilterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 10:02   Link #118
tkdtiger

The remote is still comparable in price to the 360 so really it seems it will not matter what system you get. It seems they're all pretty expensive. The ps3 is too expensive for me to buy, but it doesn't look like a bad system, although a few 3rd party have decided not to renew their contract with sony at this time due to worries that the system's price will make it less profitable from what I've read.
Old 2006-09-16, 12:49   Link #119
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
I just wanna get my ass off the couch and break shit! Hopefully, I don't break anything outside the video game! Some games actually have your heart rate race and have you wildly swining the remote around. COOL! I wanna wii!
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 14:26   Link #120
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Well, while $40 for the Wii-mote and $20 for the nunchuk attachment might not seem that bad, you do remember that the nunchuk is an attachment, and it's been said before that Nintendo was planning to release multiple attachments. So...imagine if some games required you to get a specific attachment in order to play it. $20 for another non-nunchuk attachment might not seem too much...but if a whole bunch of these kinda games come out...

Well, I'm just thinking out loud (so to speak) anyways....I probably won't need more than two, and as someone earlier said I just hope they last long...and I'll probably have to stock up on rechargable AA batteries too... =p

Tags
console, wii