AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-03-09, 18:20   Link #1561
taurosground

Kodaka is maturing, so honestly, now that I really think about it, anything is possible. The easy way out right now is for Yozora to do something unexpected that knocks Sena's confession out of Kodaka's mind (since the next volume is Yozora's counterattack).
taurosground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 18:35   Link #1562
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Well..................we knew that Sena and Yozora are the two main girls after Kodaka. There are other girls after him, but.......we knew its was a deep love triangle. It is at its climax point now............

Guessing what is going to happen is going to be pretty hard. Any guesses would be just as good as the next, as long as they are reasonable.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 19:46   Link #1563
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Whilst this is a bit off topic to the current hot discussion of Sena's confession. I noted that the last two translated chapters had a type of duality to it. In the previous chapter we see Kobato look onto Yozora with affection due to the fact that she defended her stay in the neighborhood club while in the recent chapter we saw that Sena defended Maria's identity as a teacher and hence Sena garnering Maria's affection. Having noted the seemingly dual theme of the last two chapters I looked back and realised that this theme of duality is prevalent throughout all of the light novel.

Lets take a look at how this theme carried through the whole novel and not just the last two chapters.

1. Sena and Yozora's rivalry is paired. They argue and fight for superiority as well as for Kodaka's affection
2. Rika being the genius who is into homo guys and Yukimura who is a girl believing herself to be a boy.
3. Kobato, Kodaka's actual sister and Maria a sister who wants to be Kodaka's sister (pun intended)
4. The concept of Kodaka and Yozora being childhood friends and Sena and Kodaka being engaged.

With this in mind, it seems that every person or theme has a counter theme that compliments each other and that many of the characters are paired off (albeit not in the romantic sense) with an almost exact opposite of each other. Now this brings me to the point that the only person without a dual compliment is Kodaka, I would like to believe this is the author doing it on purpose, making Kodaka a open book or maybe a fruit ripe for the picking to be paired off with his other half (this time in a romantic sense).

This is my theory. I'm not sure if I've articulated myself properly here but this was a thing that has been going through my mind and I want to put the theory out there and maybe ask for some opinions.
Old 2013-03-09, 19:59   Link #1564
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
Whilst this is a bit off topic to the current hot discussion of Sena's confession. I noted that the last two translated chapters had a type of duality to it. In the previous chapter we see Kobato look onto Yozora with affection due to the fact that she defended her stay in the neighborhood club while in the recent chapter we saw that Sena defended Maria's identity as a teacher and hence Sena garnering Maria's affection. Having noted the seemingly dual theme of the last two chapters I looked back and realised that this theme of duality is prevalent throughout all of the light novel.

Lets take a look at how this theme carried through the whole novel and not just the last two chapters.

1. Sena and Yozora's rivalry is paired. They argue and fight for superiority as well as for Kodaka's affection
2. Rika being the genius who is into homo guys and Yukimura who is a girl believing herself to be a boy.
3. Kobato, Kodaka's actual sister and Maria a sister who wants to be Kodaka's sister (pun intended)
4. The concept of Kodaka and Yozora being childhood friends and Sena and Kodaka being engaged.

With this in mind, it seems that every person or theme has a counter theme that compliments each other and that many of the characters are paired off (albeit not in the romantic sense) with an almost exact opposite of each other. Now this brings me to the point that the only person without a dual compliment is Kodaka, I would like to believe this is the author doing it on purpose, making Kodaka a open book or maybe a fruit ripe for the picking to be paired off with his other half (this time in a romantic sense).

This is my theory. I'm not sure if I've articulated myself properly here but this was a thing that has been going through my mind and I want to put the theory out there and maybe ask for some opinions.
You forgot Kate
Though Sena doesn't really deserve the affection she gets from maria now, since she just wanted to get back to her game.
When i read that they are going to call Kate now I actually thought that she would offer to be their advisor now and get a bigger role now rather than continue being a random character like Pegasus.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 21:12   Link #1565
taurosground

Quote:

That's actually a pretty interesting point. If we go by that, Sena's proposal will be matched by something with Yozora, which is predicted. Also, Kodaka has no "pair". This makes sense because he is the protagonist, but it makes me wonder if the president will make a splash next volume.
taurosground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 21:25   Link #1566
potchip

I'm predicting a development with Yozora and the student council. Would the shock be enough to push her towards the ultimate riaju the president?

When the student council first introduced I thought it will be an external force that unites the club, but maybe now it will be something else.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 21:44   Link #1567
Raviel

Quote:

On another note if you look at one of the illustrations for Universe, there's one where the girls are all evenly distributed, Sena, Maria, Yukimura, on one side and Yozora, Kobato, and Rika on the other.

EDIT: What if.......Yozora's developments.......involve getting closer to other people outside the club? (just a crack theory from me )

EDIT2: Kind of stupid, but it just occured to me that Sena tends to get uncomfortable whenever anyone else in the club except Yozora and Kodaka interact with her in a positive way (i.e. when Maria thanked her in the last chapter).

Since we're on the topic of dualities in Haganai, maybe we'll see developments go in a direction where Sena gets along more with the rest of the club while Yozora gets along more with people outside of the club (again another crack theory from me )?

Another interesting bit I'd like to add in for the hell of it, the last two chapters have shown us Yozora gaining the admiration of a vampire (Kobato) and Sena (self proclaimed goddess XD) being thanked by a nun (Maria).

Last edited by Raviel; 2013-03-09 at 21:59.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 22:09   Link #1568
novalysis

I have another theory. Kodaka is invited to join the student council officially, to fill in new spots left by graduating third years. In fact, he might even end up getting nominated as the next President, without asking for that position, and getting elected with the endorsement of the current President and the Current student council. And, in doing so, fulfilling Machiveli's maxim of being feared but not hated. Which means that his social circle expands further, as does the scope of the plot.

Incoming First years will learn of the rumour of the delinquent Student Council President, voted because everyone is scared of him, and who is the fiancée of the chairman's daughter. And then, a freshman takes a wrong turn and walk into the Neighbour's club.....
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 23:20   Link #1569
JamJackEvo

That would be an interesting take, but this is Kodaka we're talking about. The thought of him going up the stage in the entrance ceremony and standing behind the podium with hundreds of St. Chronica Academy students staring up at him, their gazes varying in fear from those whom he'd "threatened," caution from those who've heard rumors of his exploits, and curiosity from the freshmen who have yet to hear of his infamy yet are already starting to form a picture with the sight of his delinquent-like hair (although I hope there's at least someone in the student body who uses their brain cells to suggest that Kodaka's hair is actually natural, like a half-Jap with the same problem, except it's blond hair and black eyebrows, which really does happen naturally)... well, the thought is just almost impossible to believe—Kodaka and speeches do not go together—unless the story decides to jump the shark.
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 23:25   Link #1570
Raviel

^I think that would actually make a pretty hilarious spin-off
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 00:58   Link #1571
JamJackEvo

Or fanfiction.

A wild oneshot idea is already growing in my head...
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 01:35   Link #1572
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Am I only the one that thinks that marrying Sena is a dead end? I do not mean that Sena does not love him or that Kodaka is not attracted to her. But they are still kids, neither has any idea what they want to do in life (besides getting friends). Also, Sena is definitively going to a top university and later on whatever she does no doubt will be a big success. Kodaka on the other hand is not very bright (so there is no chance he will get to a famous university) and we have no idea if his father has the $$$ for anything beyond a no-name private university. So how would a marriage work at this point? If Sena has said "Let's date" then it would have been an epic-win route, but no doubt kodaka will realize (before it is too late) that they are not at the right moment for a marriage with anyone.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 02:34   Link #1573
novalysis

Then again,Kodaka is an average student at a top school - perhaps, in more normal schools, he will be one of the top ten percentile of students. I am not sure whether your pessimism is warranted. Besides, Pegasus approves.

The problem is, I think your hypothesis is actually a perfect reply to anyone who accuses Kodaka of being dumb. No, he is not being dumb. Partially, he fears that none of these relationships would work out given that he is surrounded by more intelligent girls that he think are better than him. And, if he takes your line of thought, which may be possible too, then holding or rejecting Sena starts to make more sense. I suspect he will try to put Sena on hold, at least until graduation.

So, Kodaka is not bring dumb. He is pretending to be thick, partly out of perceived realism ( these girls are way out of my league, as romantic partners) and out of terror, and out of the desire to maintain the status quo.

But I think a marriage is workable, if the disparity of talent and ability between Kodaka and Sena can be resolved. Indeed, one could also argue that since Kodaka is grounded and stable, he is a good fit for the flighty, and often naive Sena.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 02:36   Link #1574
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
So how would a marriage work at this point?
For starters, Kodaka is not legible for marriage yet due to his age.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 02:40   Link #1575
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Wait, what 0_0 ? Why has the situation escalated to marriage ?!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 03:03   Link #1576
potchip

Because in harems, all the sole male has to do is throw the pokeball and say "XYZ I choose you!" Everything else just falls into place..or something.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 11:28   Link #1577
erdii

actually ı agree with pegasus entrusting Sena to Kodaka. ı mean it is high possibility that a clever man can easily manipulate Sena. a good for nothing perosn would definitely trick her. it is clear pegasus knows this and wants her daughter to be with a man he can trust. even if Sena didn't like Kodaka, Pegasus would do something it
Old 2013-03-10, 11:40   Link #1578
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
For starters, Kodaka is not legible for marriage yet due to his age.
Isn't Kodaka 16, in Japan I thought at age 16 you are allowed to get married as long as your parents consented and signed the documents to allow it. Seeing Kodaka and Sena's fathers, pretty much it is a done deal well if Kodaka and Sena wanted to unless Sena's mother comes into the mix.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 11:47   Link #1579
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Isn't Kodaka 16, in Japan I thought at age 16 you are allowed to get married as long as your parents consented and signed the documents to allow it.
If you are female. Male minimum marriage age is 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Indeed, one could also argue that since Kodaka is grounded and stable, he is a good fit for the flighty, and often naive Sena.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdii View Post
I mean it is high possibility that a clever man can easily manipulate Sena.
I think you are forgetting something, while Sena can be naive, she is also a fast learner, part of the problem is that she has lived like a princess all her life (read as "overprotected") but when she is exposed to real life troubles she might fall on her face a few times, but she will learn and come out on top. So the idea of Kodaka needing to protect Sena from the world might be true on a few ocassions, but before long she will not need to be protected, what will be Kodaka's worth in the relation then? He can be a nice househusband but most japanese men would rather die than have said role.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2013-03-10 at 12:00.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 12:29   Link #1580
Johnny
Working the bags...

I can only imagine the look of terror on Kobato's face imagining Sena as a sister-in-law...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, friendship, harem, light novels, love decisions, school life, shounen