Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-08-14, 01:30   Link #1
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Sexual Objectification

Let me forget for a short while that I have a crap-load of work, and that some bums who in Europe would be suppressed neo-nazis, but in a certain island next to Her are subject to a sociological debate about the prospects of native youth (read: white trash); and open a tricky subject:

I completely agree that sexual objectification of females is wrong, however arousing... BUT why sexual objectification of males is OK with BOTH genders

From muscular boxers or soccer players to metro-sexual (aka gay-posers) makes chicks all around the world, independent of age, religion, or sexual direction wet, while champs and studs not only don't over-react (like feminists that became old enough to become conservative), but rather go with the flow and either waste their life on gyms and/or their money in worthless healthcare/beauty products... with the most saddening fact being that it is effective, in the context of impressing supposedly intelligent chicks

Dunno, for one looks like there are double standards, and for another pretentious if not manipulative favouritism

What's your take on the subject... discussing it IRL, led to some... interesting... arguments, but I have no otaku, fujoshi or fudanshi around me here in London, so I am very interested in your opinions

Last edited by Malkuth; 2011-08-14 at 01:47.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 01:53   Link #2
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm sure one factor that leads to these opposing attitudes to sexual objectification has to do with the fact that it is a male dominated world. I don't know how to put that into an explanation, but I'm sure it is a factor.
Old 2011-08-14, 02:06   Link #3
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
My guess is that men simply don't care as much.

As Katt Williams brings up in one of his stand-ups, if a guy has a problem with himself, he gets over it at a very young age.
Old 2011-08-14, 02:09   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As a man I'd probably be flattered if I got objectified sexually.

Probably. Won't actually know until it happens!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 02:39   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Speak for yourself! Men don't make me wet at all...
Old 2011-08-14, 02:44   Link #6
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Speak for yourself! Men don't make me wet at all...
Me either.
Old 2011-08-14, 02:45   Link #7
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
Yeah men dont really care
please objectify me sexually

just as long as no one laughs
Old 2011-08-14, 02:45   Link #8
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

lol, this topic reminds me of the complaints ( by men and women) of women wrestlers being objectified in the WWE, pointing to the skimpy outfits many women wrestle in. Of course, while the women wrestlers of WWE often don't get the respect that they deserve, citing the lack of clothing as an example is lame. The reason? Have you seen the gear most of the men wear?

But seriously, it's one of those 'roll with the punches' situations for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
As a man I'd probably be flattered if I got objectified sexually.
If some random pretty girl came and slapped me on the ass, I. . .would probably be flattered. As shallow as it sounds, it would depend on how pretty the girl was.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 02:56   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The only time someone ever tried to hit on me as a straight male, surprisingly, was a gay guy during college. Even though I'm straight I actually take more consideration on a gay man's opinion of men than a straight woman's.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 02:59   Link #10
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
For one, never wish to get objectified sexually... for what it matters, I hate it! because I always get some fat married slut or some anorexic emo loli from starring at me or even worse feeling private parts, that's the only reason I... occasionally... sympathize with oversensitive members of the opposite sex. But, god(s) damn, it sucks

As for syn, and the rest of the les crowd, ignore the wetting part, obviously it does not apply in your case
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 03:05   Link #11
David Watts
Stay Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
For one, never wish to get objectified sexually... for what it matters, I hate it! because I always get some fat married slut or some anorexic emo loli from starring at me or even worse feeling private parts, that's the only reason I... occasionally... sympathize with oversensitive members of the opposite sex. But, god(s) damn, it sucks

As for syn, and the rest of the les crowd, ignore the wetting part, obviously it does not apply in your case
Boy man sounds like you have it rough gettin frisked
Old 2011-08-14, 03:17   Link #12
Alchemist007
*Author

I agree that it has to do with the fact that, until the last few decades (arguably), it has been a male dominated world and so the attitudes are different. I'm sure there's some physiological reasons too like men enjoy sexual attention more since they're the sperm donors and not the baby carriers (Bio 101).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The only time someone ever tried to hit on me as a straight male, surprisingly, was a gay guy during college. Even though I'm straight I actually take more consideration on a gay man's opinion of men than a straight woman's.
If I had to simply guess, I'd say it's because the majority of people (in this case, college girls) are perceived as shallow and would make such a comment to any 'hot guy' they see. But a minority such as a gay male saying such a thing means to you that he has better taste somehow. Although I empathize your sentiment, I cannot logically make sense of it except for assuming that it's because it's a minority that made the comment (and therefore special).
Old 2011-08-14, 03:23   Link #13
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post

If some random pretty girl came and slapped me on the ass, I. . .would probably be flattered. As shallow as it sounds, it would depend on how pretty the girl was.
That would be hilarious and awesome at the same time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 03:27   Link #14
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Sadly, however, the minority of higher intelligence don't gain such a benefit in comparison. Many people who think they're smart will dispute any point by one smarter as it threatens them. Gotta love people.
Old 2011-08-14, 03:30   Link #15
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
This is one topic I never really could comprehend. I understand that if a girl gets heated up, it's fine, but if a guy starts going in heat, he gets all the strange looks. But at the same time, and here is where the paradox hits you hard in the face, a lot of girls work their hardest to look as pretty as possible to be at the very least presentable (from their pov). Now I get that women tend to also do it for themselves and not for anyone else, but what I don't get is that even then, they don't want to be checked out, and if a man does that, it's weird. The main reason I don't get this is because I don't care if someone checks me out, so I really don't see how it's wrong to check other people out for any given reason.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 03:36   Link #16
David Watts
Stay Free

now Im not no expert but I dont think women are completely adverse to being checked out
they just dont liked getting leered at like they are a piece of meat
Old 2011-08-14, 03:43   Link #17
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
now Im not no expert but I dont think women are completely adverse to being checked out
they just dont liked getting leered at like they are a piece of meat
It's true that they don't, but even when one isn't being checked out that way, they tend to think they are. At least from my experience (for the record, I don't leer at them like they're walking bags of flesh )
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 04:00   Link #18
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I'd imagine a Fox-like conspiracy theory would be that it's the gays in the liberal media trying to propagate by subverting our country's virile young men, turning them into the next generation of gay men.

I'd imagine a neo-nazi conspiracy theory that it's a zionist plot to snub the genetic pool of the aryan race by making them into gays who have no interest in propagating the race.

I think it's more related to male physiology. Males of most species fight and compete for mating rights. Even if we have gone a ways from that mentality, we guys usually are more rearing to get into fights or confrontations than women. The ideal of a sexed up muscle man probably presents two major ideas--a 'fit', or 'peak' condition body, and (generally) eliciting some hot-blooded confrontational response in guy viewers. It's like a challenge.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 04:36   Link #19
David Watts
Stay Free

I think its all about how you view yourself
If you think you have a bangin bod you might feel better about showing it off
but if your all self conscious and embarrassed there is no way in hell your letting anyone see it
I don't think there is a difference between the sexes in that regard
Old 2011-08-14, 06:57   Link #20
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

This topic actually reminds me of so called "reverse racism", where Whites (to be more politically correct in American terms, White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, or WASPs) talk about how minority rights have taken a turn for the worse and can be used to be racist towards them. I think there's also similar worries about South Africa developing a poor White community.

I don't have a good response to this, except that objectivizing has always existed and always will be, despite the efforts of whoever wants to try and eliminate that.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote