AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-24, 12:02   Link #1
NeoSam

Monogatari Series Light Novel discussion

The light novel series Bakemonogatari by Nishio Ishin (author) and VOFAN (illustrator) will be getting animated.

化物語
Bakemonogatari

Official anime site:
http://www.bakemonogatari.com/

The light novel series is published under the Kodansha BOX label.
This is one of the first light novel series to start publication under Kodansha's new Kodansha BOX label.

Covers of volumes:
Spoiler:

A prequel to the Bakemonogatari light novels:
Spoiler:

A sequel to the Bakemonogatari light novels:
Spoiler:

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Romance, Comedy

Here's a review of the light novel series by Andrew Cunningham:
http://easternstandard.pbwiki.com/Bakemonogatari

Kodansha BOX is a label aimed at youth.
This is the first light novel series from Kodansha BOX to get animated.
Old 2009-08-12, 10:16   Link #2
zato_1one

I don't mind with novel spoiler. Please tell me why Araragi still need his blood sucked by Shinobu. What will happen to him if he stop that. And is there any reason why he can maintain his superhuman ability by letting his blood sucked?
Old 2009-08-12, 10:23   Link #3
Westlo
Lets be reality

Well going off what ickem told me on irc the other day when I was asking about shinbou and whether she would ever return to what she was..

Spoiler for Nisemonogatari I guess..:

As for why his powers are maintained by doing this I have no idea, ickem get your ass in here! Also hurry up and read Kizumonogatari!!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 10:24   Link #4
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I don't mind with novel spoiler. Please tell me why Araragi still need his blood sucked by Shinobu. What will happen to him if he stop that. And is there any reason why he can maintain his superhuman ability by letting his blood sucked?
He's not getting his blood sucked because he wants to. He's letting Shinobu drink his blood because she would die without it. If he stopped letting her do so, he would become completely human, but Shinbou would die. So he has decided to stay like this forever instead of just just letting her die.

Oh well beaten to the punch.

Anyway, I haven't gotten around to reading Kuzimonogatari, since Westlo has me slaving away for his amusement, so I'm don't know what is in there, but Koyomi and Shinobu have a master/servant relationship which probably has to do with it.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。

Last edited by ickem; 2009-08-12 at 10:27. Reason: for getting sniped
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 10:29   Link #5
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
As for why his powers are maintained by doing this I have no idea, ickem get your ass in here! Also hurry up and read Kizumonogatari!!
It's a just master-servant relationship. Master drank servant's blood--servant gaining temporary skills in return. Just like how he turned into vampire in the first place.

Quote:
Anyway, I haven't gotten around to reading Kuzimonogatari, since Westlo has me slaving away for his amusement, so I'm don't know what is in there, but Koyomi and Shinobu have a master/servant relationship which probably has to do with it.
I think you're going to miss one of the most moving scene if you read Nise 2 before Kizu. I still haven't read Nise, though.

Last edited by sirn; 2009-08-12 at 10:40.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 10:36   Link #6
zato_1one

Thanks for the answer. Will it be revealed later in anime aka Bakemonogatari novel or is it in another novel?
Old 2009-08-12, 10:36   Link #7
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
It's a just master-servant relationship. Master drank servant's blood--servant gaining temporary skills in return. Just like how he turned into vampire in the first place.

I think you're going to miss one of the most moving scene if you read Nise 2 before Kizu. I still haven't read Nise, though.
Yeah, I figured that I would miss some stuff by reading it out of order, but I just wanted to get on with the main story. Still I think there are enough hints in the Nise novels that I can guess what happened.

P.S. Do not call Shinobu an old woman and don't be arrogant towards her even if it looks like you have the upper hand.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-08-12, 10:40   Link #8
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Yeah, I figured that I would miss some stuff by reading it out of order, but I just wanted to get on with the main story. Still I think there are enough hints in the Nise novels that I can guess what happened.
Hey, Nise has less story per page than Kizu.

Oh by the way, since you've read Nise, how is Kimekao-chan (that Yotsugi girl)? I'm all for Bokukko!
Old 2009-08-12, 11:11   Link #9
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Hey, Nise has less story per page than Kizu.

Oh by the way, since you've read Nise, how is Kimekao-chan (that Yotsugi girl)? I'm all for Bokukko!
Let's just say that she made the mistake of calling Shinobu an old woman and learned to regret it.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-08-12, 11:58   Link #10
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Since it's not posted here's the cover for Nise vol 2
Spoiler for Cover:
Old 2009-08-12, 12:08   Link #11
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Does anyone have any idea what the two novels coming out next year will be about? According to wiki, one is about Mayoi and the other is Tsubasa. I guess Tsubasa's may be about how her changes will affect her relationship with her family, but I'm not sure how Mayoi's story would work. I'm still not sure why Mayoi gets so much air time, other than to satisfy Koyomi's loli fetish of course...

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-08-12, 12:12   Link #12
apr
Pedestrian

Spoiler for All covers:

Too late, I guess.
Old 2009-08-12, 12:28   Link #13
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea what the two novels coming out next year will be about? According to wiki, one is about Mayoi and the other is Tsubasa. I guess Tsubasa's may be about how her changes will affect her relationship with her family, but I'm not sure how Mayoi's story would work. I'm still not sure why Mayoi gets so much air time, other than to satisfy Koyomi's loli fetish of course...
Nisio mentioned Neko back when he was interviewed in Pandora Vol.3 as a "unwritten Golden Week prequel", although he said something among the line of "impossible to be made into novel". I don't know what he means.

Mayoi one is probably… her disappearing for real (although seriously DO NOT WANT.) Nisio said he keep Mayoi in the story even though she does nothing because her characterization has a room to expand. The same goes to Oshino, he have him leave the stage because his characterization is already "completed". Maybe it's about time…
Old 2009-08-12, 14:11   Link #14
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Nisio mentioned Neko back when he was interviewed in Pandora Vol.3 as a "unwritten Golden Week prequel", although he said something among the line of "impossible to be made into novel". I don't know what he means.

Mayoi one is probably… her disappearing for real (although seriously DO NOT WANT.) Nisio said he keep Mayoi in the story even though she does nothing because her characterization has a room to expand. The same goes to Oshino, he have him leave the stage because his characterization is already "completed". Maybe it's about time…
Speaking of characters that have already been "completed," I wonder how the Hitagi fans will react her cutting her hair becoming "normal" again. It would be interesting to see just how much she has changed and if the core of her interactions with Koyomi are still the same i.e. how their conversations with each other are like now. I'm thinking that they would still have the same sharp wit, although I guess Hitagi would be better able to show the emotions that go with the verbal jabs now.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-08-12, 16:17   Link #15
TheAlucid

Just out of curiosity, how did Araragi get turned back into a human again?

Also, about the spoiler

Spoiler for Blood drinking:
TheAlucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 19:20   Link #16
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

So... despite my Japanese being not that great I ended up picking all of them up at my nearest Comic Tora no ana.

Bakemonogatari 1st and 2nd part. Kizumonogatari and nisemonogatari 1st and 2nd part. The books are super pricey and it was 7600 total :'(.

But my question is, is the series already completed or is it still in serialization?

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 19:55   Link #17
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
So... despite my Japanese being not that great I ended up picking all of them up at my nearest Comic Tora no ana.

Bakemonogatari 1st and 2nd part. Kizumonogatari and nisemonogatari 1st and 2nd part. The books are super pricey and it was 7600 total :'(.

But my question is, is the series already completed or is it still in serialization?
Bakemonogatari is already completed in itself, Kizu and Nise is more of an expansion for those who still want to enjoy it. Two more books are planned next year (see above discussion). About the price... yes, the more I love the series, the more I hate Kodansha BOX.

You seems to be lucky to be able to pick up a complete set. I heard it's out of stock almost everywhere in Japan.

Quote:
Speaking of characters that have already been "completed," I wonder how the Hitagi fans will react her cutting her hair becoming "normal" again. It would be interesting to see just how much she has changed and if the core of her interactions with Koyomi are still the same i.e. how their conversations with each other are like now. I'm thinking that they would still have the same sharp wit, although I guess Hitagi would be better able to show the emotions that go with the verbal jabs now.
One Hitagi fan here. From the day I heard she's cutting her hair and gaining emotions back, I'm still trying to believe it's a yandere flag or get to meet kai'i the second time. Something isn't just right if Hitagi isn't emotionless. Just like how Hanekawa is switching to contact lense.
Old 2009-08-12, 20:11   Link #18
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Bakemonogatari is already completed in itself, Kizu and Nise is more of an expansion for those who still want to enjoy it. Two more books are planned next year (see above discussion). About the price... yes, the more I love the series, the more I hate Kodansha BOX.

You seems to be lucky to be able to pick up a complete set. I heard it's out of stock almost everywhere in Japan.

One Hitagi fan here. From the day I heard she's cutting her hair and gaining emotions back, I'm still trying to believe it's a yandere flag or get to meet kai'i the second time. Something isn't just right if Hitagi isn't emotionless. Just like how Hanekawa is switching to contact lense.
I'm a Hitagi fan too. It took me a bit to absorb it, but I actually like how it turned out. The Nise books were about growing up so I think it's only fitting that Hitagi got to grow too. It was what she wanted, after all. Had she stayed the same I think it would have hurt Koyomi since it would have meant that he couldn't help her regain what was important to her. The hair was just one more thing that bound her to the past she wanted to give up because she only get that style for so long because he mom told her that it suited her.

P.S. You don't mind that Goshujin-sama...I mean Hanekawa-sama....I mean Hanekawa cut her hair too?

P.P.S. Hitagi slips with Hanekawa's name and calls her Goshujin-sama and Hanekawa-sama since Hanekawa is her master in a sense. After the end of Bakemonogatari, Hitagi asks her for help in trying to learn how to express her emotions and in leaning how to interact with people again. Hitagi keeps it secret from Koyomi though. This situation does provide for some nice gags though.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。

Last edited by ickem; 2009-08-12 at 21:23.
Old 2009-08-13, 01:03   Link #19
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Since I haven't read nise 2, I'm going to ask it here . Why Hitagi doesn't show up in Nise 2? She always shows up in every arc so far right? So what's the reason they give about why she doesn't show up in nise 2? And what was Koyomi's comment about Hitagi in Nise 2?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 01:11   Link #20
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Since I haven't read nise 2, I'm going to ask it here . Why Hitagi doesn't show up in Nise 2? She always shows up in every arc so far right? So what's the reason they give about why she doesn't show up in nise 2? And what was Koyomi's comment about Hitagi in Nise 2?
Nise 2 takes place during the Bon festival so she went to visit family. Hitagi also doesn't show up in the Nadeko Snake arc so this isn't new. Btw Hanekawa doesn't show up in Nise 2 either.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, harem, nishio, romance