AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-14, 22:41   Link #521
Meophist

Question:
Does the series start on Monday, April 3rd 2000, Monday, April 1st 2002, or some other day??
Old 2006-10-15, 07:26   Link #522
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Question:
Does the series start on Monday, April 3rd 2000, Monday, April 1st 2002, or some other day??
What exactly do you mean? Care to be more specific?

This series is a relatively new series, airing from April 2006 to July 2006. So I don't understand where on earth you come up with the April 2000 thingys.
Old 2006-10-15, 08:39   Link #523
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
What exactly do you mean? Care to be more specific?

This series is a relatively new series, airing from April 2006 to July 2006. So I don't understand where on earth you come up with the April 2000 thingys.
I believe he's talking about what year in the story it started. According to chapter one of the first novel Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Kyon makes a reference to 1999.
Old 2006-10-15, 11:19   Link #524
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I believe he's talking about what year in the story it started. According to chapter one of the first novel Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Kyon makes a reference to 1999.
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

From that reference, combined on the fact the Haruhi wears her hair Monday-style on the first day of school, made me think that the first episode takes place on Monday April 3rd, 2000. On the other hand, the PCs in the anime used Windows XP. Windows XP wasn't released until late 2001(according to Wikipedia), so I thought the anime might take place on Monday April 1st, 2002. An alternative is that the anime takes place on Monday April 3rd, 2006, but that seemed unlikely. Can anybody help me out?
Old 2006-10-15, 14:07   Link #525
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

From that reference, combined on the fact the Haruhi wears her hair Monday-style on the first day of school, made me think that the first episode takes place on Monday April 3rd, 2000. On the other hand, the PCs in the anime used Windows XP. Windows XP wasn't released until late 2001(according to Wikipedia), so I thought the anime might take place on Monday April 1st, 2002. An alternative is that the anime takes place on Monday April 3rd, 2006, but that seemed unlikely. Can anybody help me out?
perhaps it was a beta version
the god get her hands on anything , ya know
Old 2006-10-16, 08:14   Link #526
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
1999? Where in the text does it mention 1999? I can't seem to remember myself, even though I took part in translating it. Care to find an excerpt for me please?
Old 2006-10-16, 11:46   Link #527
Meophist

Quote:
1999? Where in the text does it mention 1999? I can't seem to remember myself, even though I took part in translating it. Care to find an excerpt for me please?
It's in the Prologue of Volume 1.

Strato's Translation:
Quote:
As I graduated from middle school, I also graduated from those childish dreams and became accustomed to the routine of this world. The year 1999 was my last hope, and it wasn’t like anything was going to happen there. We've reached the 21st century without humankind making it beyond the moon. It looks unlikely that travel to Alpha Centauri and back within a day will happen in my lifetime.
Baka-Tsuki's Translation:
Quote:
After junior high, I completely grew out of that fantasy world and became utterly grounded in reality. Nothing happened in 1999, even though I kept hoping, just a bit, that something would; mankind hadn't returned to the moon or gone beyond it. I suppose, from the way things are looking, that I'll be long dead before you can book a round trip from Earth to Alpha Centauri.
Old 2006-10-16, 11:49   Link #528
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
It's in the Prologue of Volume 1.

Strato's Translation:

Baka-Tsuki's Translation:
Just because 1999 was mentioned doesn't mean Kyon and Haruhi begin high school at 2000. Kyon was just merely mentioning that he had experienced the year 1999 and nothing had happened. The story can be pinpointed at the early 2000s, but the author has left the readers to ponder the exact year.

And do Japanese schools really have to start on April Fool's day? Think of the poor kids! Anyway, I was in the belief that they start at the first Monday of April, regardless of whether it's the 1st or not, so it could be any year in this decade, even dates that take place in the near future.
Old 2006-10-16, 14:45   Link #529
Meophist

Quote:
Just because 1999 was mentioned doesn't mean Kyon and Haruhi begin high school at 2000. Kyon was just merely mentioning that he had experienced the year 1999 and nothing had happened. The story can be pinpointed at the early 2000s, but the author has left the readers to ponder the exact year.

And do Japanese schools really have to start on April Fool's day? Think of the poor kids! Anyway, I was in the belief that they start at the first Monday of April, regardless of whether it's the 1st or not, so it could be any year in this decade, even dates that take place in the near future.
Are you going to help me find the date, or are you just going to babble on on how inaccurate I might be? If only there's a timeline...
Old 2006-10-16, 15:41   Link #530
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They don't *do* April Fool's Day in Japan.... <sigh> and yes, the school year starts in April.

Per the question.... I wouldn't put a LOT of weight on the appearance of XP in the anime. The books never mention what OS revision they're using that I've noticed. Anachronisms (things out of their proper time) are not unknown in television or movie production.

Kyon does rattle on about 1999 coming and going without any excitement....
Kenny wasn't babbling.... he's just stating the facts as they appear to be.

I can assume its the year 2000 or 2001 within the story so far... its just not clear.

It also might be a "Matrix" issue.... with Haruhi on the loose there's no way to know what year it might "really be" (whatever that means).
After all there's that little looping issue with the summer break that Yuki mentions. Perhaps if you'd give out why it is important to you?
Old 2006-10-16, 15:52   Link #531
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

If 1999 was his last year of elementary, wouldn't that put them in 2003?
Old 2006-10-16, 15:57   Link #532
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I could interpret what he says as 1999 being his last year in japanese middle school (9th grade) and therefore 2000 being his first year in high school. Mikuru is a year ahead of Kyon.... and I've got the impression that this is his 2nd year in high school... making it the year 2001... maybe.
Again.. is this like really critical or something?
Old 2006-10-16, 16:17   Link #533
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I could interpret what he says as 1999 being his last year in japanese middle school (9th grade) and therefore 2000 being his first year in high school. Mikuru is a year ahead of Kyon.... and I've got the impression that this is his 2nd year in high school... making it the year 2001... maybe.
Again.. is this like really critical or something?
I'm pretty sure Kyon is a first-year. And yes, this is very important… for me. As for why, sorry, I can't say yet.

So April 3rd, 2000?
Old 2006-10-16, 16:20   Link #534
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Hm, yes. But he sounded like he'd been disillusioned for some time. Several years.
Old 2006-10-17, 01:30   Link #535
niffum

Well, the SOS Dan wiki speculates that the story begins in 2009.

http://wiki.sos-dan.com/wiki/Template:Trivia under 'Other'
Old 2006-10-17, 02:22   Link #536
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Looks like the bits of data floating through the data are all over the place.... but folks need to realize the japanese school system resembles some American school systems that do K-6 (elem), 7-9 (middle), 10-12 (high). Kyon clearly says he left middle school in 1999.

So I'm going to say the weight of things looks like he meets Haruhi at the school year start of April 2000 since Kyon is a first year student (10th grade) ... confirmed by novel text and anime checks (ep 2 Kyon comments, entering highschool ceremony, and the room number 1-5), and since he left middle school in 1999.

Haven't looked to see if its actually XP in the computer episode or just some generic win2K looking thing (most desktops can be customized anyway).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-17 at 02:40.
Old 2006-10-17, 12:58   Link #537
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffum View Post
Well, the SOS Dan wiki speculates that the story begins in 2009.

http://wiki.sos-dan.com/wiki/Template:Trivia under 'Other'

Clever. That blurb about the Copenhagen interpretation makes me want to cry though.
Old 2006-10-17, 13:19   Link #538
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Kyon clearly says he left middle school in 1999.
Why people keep saying Kyon graduated from middle school in 1999?
Look, these are two totally different things:
Kyon graduated from middle school (year unknown) and became used to the ordinary world.
Quote:
As I graduated from middle school, I also graduated from those childish dreams and became accustomed to the routine of this world.

Before that (how many years before, we don't know):
Quote:
1999 was my last hope, and it wasn’t like anything was going to happen there. We've reached the 21st century without humankind making it beyond the moon. It looks unlikely that travel to Alpha Centauri and back within a day will happen in my lifetime.
1999 was his last hope. Why is 1999 different for any other year?
Quote:
We've reached the 21st century without...
Because is the last year of the millenium. Heck, Not only Kyon, everybody thought "something" could happen: religions, sects, even "normal" people... I remember a lot of people believed something would happen with the computers because of that Year 2000 effect thingy.
You see, it has nothing to do with his last year of middle school (at least we haven't any proof of that).
Old 2006-10-17, 13:22   Link #539
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Are you going to help me find the date, or are you just going to babble on on how inaccurate I might be? If only there's a timeline...
Why are you so worked up for? I was merely making a statement based on my observations, why do I even want to babble about your "mistakes"? If I offended you, then I apologize, so cut the attitude.
Old 2006-10-17, 13:32   Link #540
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Having some trouble following you, Kazu-kun. It isn't a huge reach that 1999 was the year of his last hope, his last year of middle school, and the year he graduated from childish dreams. That would make him entering high school in the year 2000. There is zero data to support any time lapse and conversely a fair amount of dialog that implies 2000AD as his first year in high school.
I'd be happy to reconsider the hypothesis if some data is found implying otherwise.