Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-19, 19:16   Link #121
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
Right on Blackbeard D. Kuma, God Bless!!

I apologize to everyone in the One Piece community for getting this thread off-track!

Gone!
Hey no worries buddy. So one question that I want to ask everybody is what do you all think of Jimbei's design? As I said before, I personally love it and his design is my favorite out of all the warlords. The amount of detail on him is absolutely astonishing.
Old 2009-01-19, 19:27   Link #122
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

[QUOTE=Blackbeard D. Kuma;2170256]Edit: removed the Anti Phen rant.

EDIT: continuing the thread.

Shichibukai Jimbei was never really on my most wanted to see list, but I like him I guess, lol. He has an original flare; But I want to raise something:

I'm begnning to worry a bit that One Piece isn't really depicting pirates, so to speak; I mean, frankly speaking, the Mugiwara crew COULD theoreticaly just be a sea-faring vessel trying to traverse the Grand Line.

Honestly speaking, if they didn't expressly declare themseves pirates, then...they wouldn't be, actually. They started off by aiding in the arrest of a crooked Naval Officer. (Morgan).

then they went on to weaken an actively evil pirate, Buggy, and they honestly could have just handed him over to the Marines. So far, nothing like plundering, sinking ships, holding people hostage, etc.

And throughout the series, if anything, they're more like...Bounty Hunters, if not Solo Marines or something; If they didn't decide to deliberately declare themselves pirates, with the exception of Nico Robin, nobody would be hunting them.

Logically speaing, before the CP9 arc, where they would have been forced to act against the Govt., they had no reason to even have a bounty. Only After the CP9 did there arise any real sensible reason to make them notorious.

Just food for thought. But even so, One Piece's plot holes are so minor, you don't even seem to notice them anyway, . I honestly haven't had anything this good for entertainment reading in a long time.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Last edited by holypanl; 2009-01-19 at 20:14.
Old 2009-01-19, 19:30   Link #123
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Yup. I just returned, and he's already getting on my nerves. But I've only just realized the tranquility that ignoring can bring. I mean...I never tried it before, but now that I did, I must admit: it works wonders.

He never contributes anything, anyway, so where the blank posts are, I can generally substitute some pointless argument I don't want to read. I want to encourage everyone to just go into control panel and do what must be done.

That way, when trolls come onto the forum, nobody will reply since nobody can see them. then they'll feel lonely and go back to their friendless, social outcast lives. Because we all know their bravado on online forums is just a substitute for their insecurities in real life.

Promote the forum spirit. Or get out.
Okay holypanl. That's enough. He apologized to everyone and the argument is over. Let's just drop it and move on. What are your thoughts on Jimbei's design?
Old 2009-01-19, 19:30   Link #124
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ Jimbei does have an interesting design, but I would like to see what he looks like standing up without being beat up and covered in blood.
Old 2009-01-19, 19:34   Link #125
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
^ Jimbei does have an interesting design, but I would like to see what he looks like standing up without being beat up and covered in blood.
You do have a point. I guess some people will evaluate his design only when he is standing strong, revitalized, and healthy.
Old 2009-01-19, 20:08   Link #126
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Shichibukai Jimbei was never really on my most wanted to see list, but I like him I guess, lol. He has an original flare; But I want to raise something:

I'm begnning to worry a bit that One Piece isn't really depicting pirates, so to speak; I mean, frankly speaking, the Mugiwara crew COULD theoreticaly just be a sea-faring vessel trying to traverse the Grand Line.

Honestly speaking, if they didn't expressly declare themseves pirates, then...they wouldn't be, actually. They started off by aiding in the arrest of a crooked Naval Officer. (Morgan).

then they went on to weaken an actively evil pirate, Buggy, and they honestly could have just handed him over to the Marines. So far, nothing like plundering, sinking ships, holding people hostage, etc.

And throughout the series, if anything, they're more like...Bounty Hunters, if not Solo Marines or something; If they didn't decide to deliberately declare themselves pirates, with the exception of Nico Robin, nobody would be hunting them.

Logically speaing, before the CP9 arc, where they would have been forced to act against the Govt., they had no reason to even have a bounty. Only After the CP9 did there arise any real sensible reason to make them notorious.

Just food for thought. But even so, One Piece's plot holes are so minor, you don't even seem to notice them anyway, . I honestly haven't had anything this good for entertainment reading in a long time.
Sorry, sorry, to Phenomenol too and everything. Anyway: I wanted to see what y'all thought of that point.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-01-19, 20:18   Link #127
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You do have a point. I guess some people will evaluate his design only when he is standing strong, revitalized, and healthy.
If one wanted to judge his badassness, then he has to fulfill those criteria. To judge just his design, at least for me anyway, he just has to have a cleaned up image.
Old 2009-01-19, 20:48   Link #128
t3ck
Anime Freak

Jimbei seems really humble and his speech on peace/avoid war at all cost reminds me of tom... totally not what I was expecting of.
Old 2009-01-20, 04:51   Link #129
Rageaholic01
Kaizoku

[QUOTE=holypanl;2170356]
Quote:
Edit: removed the Anti Phen rant.

EDIT: continuing the thread.

But that's the good thing about One Piece and other anime; it doesn't follow the stereotypical 'pirate look' with gore and stuff. Just like Naruto and their 'ninjas'.
Old 2009-01-20, 08:26   Link #130
kari-no-sugata

While waiting for 529...

I posted this earlier in the thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=87

But I didn't follow up on the replies.

One thing I was trying to do was an attempted "proof by contradiction" on Luffy and Haki. Basically:
1) It seems that Luffy isn't using Haki currently (certainly not consciously)
2) Haki seems to be a very high level skill/ability with no down-sides (no reason not to use it)
3) Luffy is currently using high-level attacks he developed himself that do have down-sides (Gear 3)
Conclusion: Luffy can't use Haki consciously (yet)

For now this is based on assumptions not facts, of course.

On a related note, one idea I had just recently - when Luffy fought the two sisters, the other amazons could tell if and when he was using Haki. In later chapters, we might see Luffy fighting with Hancock watching, and she might provide (effectively to the readers) some comments on Luffy's use of Haki. After all, Haki is not always an obvious skill (whether it is being used or not), so Oda might need to do something to make it clear. I suspect in the longer term, Haki is something Luffy will be using by default (though to varying levels) and like in the past, the Gears techniques will be used for special occasions (on top of Haki). Or my current working assumptions on Haki (point 2 above) could be completely wrong...
Old 2009-01-20, 15:22   Link #131
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Quote:
So one question that I want to ask everybody is what do you all think of Jimbei's design? As I said before, I personally love it and his design is my favorite out of all the warlords. The amount of detail on him is absolutely astonishing.
TBH, I think he sort of looks like an Oni god, like Fujin or Raijin.
Old 2009-01-20, 19:56   Link #132
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

I still would of liked his character to be somethign like previously discussed in the forum: "Yakuza of the Sea." I think this would be much more badass than simply "knight of the sea." I mean, he could be like the ultimate mobster: One with ideals founded upon respect, dignity and pride this wouldn't differ much from what looks like his character would be like, it's just, "yakuza of the sea" would be so much edgier and give more meaning to what he talks about when he talks. (IMO). Other than that, I think his appearance is pretty damn good. I like the idea of him being a fishman in order to have the person that freed hancock live on in him. She probably knows him anyway...

I can't wait to see him all cleaned up and prepared for battle. I think there is the possibility of him becoming luffy's mentor in the future for a short amount of time.
Old 2009-01-20, 22:00   Link #133
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
I still would of liked his character to be somethign like previously discussed in the forum: "Yakuza of the Sea." I think this would be much more badass than simply "knight of the sea." I mean, he could be like the ultimate mobster: One with ideals founded upon respect, dignity and pride this wouldn't differ much from what looks like his character would be like, it's just, "yakuza of the sea" would be so much edgier and give more meaning to what he talks about when he talks. (IMO). Other than that, I think his appearance is pretty damn good. I like the idea of him being a fishman in order to have the person that freed hancock live on in him. She probably knows him anyway...

Technically, the "Yakuza of the sea" translation wouldn't be wrong. After all, aohige even addressed it earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It's not 海峡のジンベエ, but 海侠のジンベエ.
There's no such word, but 侠 normally refers to a manly, honorable, yakuza.
It's a pun on the word, they both read "kaikyou".

"Jinbei, the Yakuza of the Sea" would be my suggestion as translation.

So maybe we can alternatively call him something like "gangster of the sea" or "don of the sea" (I personally like the latter myself).

Of course, as much as I like his design, I'm really more interested in learning about his fighting style. Is he a master of merman karate, or is he a swordsman? After all, Hachi even told Zoro back in Arlong Park that he knew of another merman from his island who was the #1 swordsman there. Maybe it's Jinbei....?
Old 2009-01-20, 22:47   Link #134
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Of course, as much as I like his design, I'm really more interested in learning about his fighting style. Is he a master of merman karate, or is he a swordsman? After all, Hachi even told Zoro back in Arlong Park that he knew of another merman from his island who was the #1 swordsman there. Maybe it's Jinbei....?
I hope he doesn't turn out to be a swordsman, because having two swordsmen in the shichibukai would be redundant. So far all of the warlords have been completely unique amongst each other and Jimbei being a swordsman would break that trend. Also, if he is a swordsman, that would automatically make him weaker than Mihawk considering he is the strongest swordsman in the world. I wouldn't like that at all. Instead, as you said, I would much prefer for him to be a master of merman karate due to the fact that all of the other warlords have not really shown themselves as physical fighters (with the exception of Blackbeard). Being a fishman already augments his physical strength, and that attribute combined with formidable martial arts skills would make him extremely dangerous. My ultimate hope is that he does not have a devil fruit, since that would defeat the whole purpose of him being a whale-shark fishman in the first place. I want to see how monstrously powerful he is when fighting in the ocean, his most advantageous domain.
Old 2009-01-21, 00:05   Link #135
james0246

^Not to nit-pick, but while Mihawk is the known as the greatest Swordsman, that need not necessarily include Fishmen. (Not that I actually believe this.)

That being said, the only Swordsman on Fish Island would be a SwordFishMan .

Jinbei will probably know some form of karate or something similar, if for no other reason than to give him an ability that Luffy can compete with (Yes, I am still under the assumption that Jinbei and Luffy can fight each other sometime in the future).
Old 2009-01-21, 02:01   Link #136
chitgoks

cool. 529 is out. we see a familiar face in this chapter
Old 2009-01-21, 14:42   Link #137
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

what I want to know is who the two huge guys behind the cage are... any clues?
giants?