AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-14, 03:21   Link #121
james0246

^For the same reason that Zoro did not push Luffy through Crocodile's Sea Stone jail bars back in Alabasta - It would make too much sense .
Old 2009-03-14, 07:33   Link #122
Vree

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler for Surprise ending:
XD

Wouldn't it be something if it turned out that the whole story this far has been a build-up for him to be replaced by a new main character?

I can see it already:

Luffy dies of poisoning.
Enraged over of Luffy's death, Ace bursts out of prison all by himself.
He busts Jinbei out of prison and together with Whitebeard the fishmen win the war against the world government.
When they arrive and hear that their captain was killed the Strawhats proceed to make mincemeat out of the Shichibukai. Everyone gets their dreams.
Whitebeard lives and become the next Pirate King.
Usopp takes over the new captain and they will go on many adventures.

Happy end!~

What do you mean it's not awesome? xD
Old 2009-03-14, 08:49   Link #123
Rageaholic01
Kaizoku

will the fact that the gears shorten Luffy's life span ever come up again?

I know it was only stated so he wouldn't overuse the gears but it does make it suck that he shouldn't be using it, just like how people used to complain about Naruto's unfinished FRS.
Old 2009-03-14, 08:57   Link #124
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Come to think of it: Is there even a point in giving Luffy seastone handcuffs?

We know for certain, that by touching seastone, Luffy gets weakened to the point he can't move anymore. But that's all. Since his power is a passive one, his body still continues to be made of rubber and can stretch or be deformed. (As could be seen several times when he fell into water)
So all he would need is someone around him, that has a bit of strength, to pull his (deformable) hands out of the handcuffs.

I'd like to think it's simply because the jailers don't want to take any risks. It's also the same reason why I don't think it makes sense for Luffy to be thrown into the same cell as Ace: The staff have been working towards preventing Luffy from reaching him this whole time. Why, after all the troubles they've gone through, would they put Luffy in the same cell as Ace, his goal, in the end anyway? Even if both brothers are practically dying right now, it wouldn't be a good idea to ignore the possibility of some sort of miracle occurring if the two of them are reunited.......

Oh, and seeing as Luffy is in the "frozen hell" right now, the bitter cold will probably harden his body to the point that it would be impossible to slip his hands out of the cuffs now, anyway.
Old 2009-03-14, 11:39   Link #125
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
After shrugging off Luffy's Jet Gun, Magellan was able to follow/track Luffy while in Gear 2nd and counter Luffy's Jet pistol, with his Hydra. That right there, should tell you that, Magellan's combat/reflex speeds are on the same level as Gear 2nd Luffy.
Reflexes =/= speed
Being able to see an attacking coming and block it is not the same as being able to move fast and dodge those attacks... he took those first attacks right to the gut and they looked like hurt... i mean all magellan showed was being able to follow Luffy's movements and block in time; where as Lucchi was running around Luffy and moving at the same speed. When it comes to gear 3, Magellan is gonna have to completely dodge the attack as merely countering it is likely not gonna be enough to stop it
Old 2009-03-14, 11:48   Link #126
ellifeedn
Thinker

I find it weird that they have the "Inferno" and "Freezing" levels right next to each other.
Old 2009-03-14, 12:26   Link #127
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vree View Post
But now I'd want to see Magellan face off against a Logia. There's no way they don't have at least one or two in a prison this size, and the guards we have seen so far wouldn't be too effective against them. So I'd like to see how the prison is prepared for that. Too bad it won't happen...
I think it would work on them too, thinking of crocodile, if water can cause his sand to go harder than poison will do the same effect over all.I dont know if ace's fire or smoker's smokes are considered a part of his body (looks like it but not clear) and croc might be an exception but there is always a chance that their gas,fire,sand like abilities may infuse and carry the poison back to his owner like a disease.

Therefore there is no way in hell logia special guard abilities can counter that tear bomb.A poison hydra while they are crying/coughing unguarded and it will do the job.Magellan is still the perfect choice for impel down.
Old 2009-03-14, 12:32   Link #128
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Reflexes =/= speed
Never said reflexes where equal to traveling speed. My opinion on that is that, Combat Reflexes > traveling speed.

Quote:
Being able to see an attacking coming and block it is not the same as being able to move fast and dodge those attacks...he took those first attacks right to the gut and they looked like hurt...
Tell that to Zoro, who does not have great traveling speed, but has great Combat Reflexes. Magellan took that attack, because he was setting up for his poison dragon, and was still able to fire it, because Luffy attack was not that damaging to him.

Quote:
I mean all magellan showed was being able to follow Luffy's movements and block in time; where as Lucchi was running around Luffy and moving at the same speed. When it comes to gear 3, Magellan is gonna have to completely dodge the attack as merely countering it is likely not gonna be enough to stop it
Being able to track, and counter/block/hit back is really more important then being able to travel at the same speed, this isn't a race its a fight. Luffy setting up for Gear 3rd and losing speed/Combat Reflexes, would leave Luffy open to all sorts of Magellan's poison and attacks, that would rob him of other stuff.

I just don't see gear 3rd being all that helpful.
Old 2009-03-14, 13:48   Link #129
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

I have to apologise, honestly: I've just actually read the chapter, since I normally read the new chaps only on the weekends. And I have to apologise for saying that Impel Down isn't fearsome.

Even if every other element isn't as intimidating as it should be, I feel that Magellan makes up for all that. Not even a Logia, and yet so much power .

I would fear to even look at that Hydra in real life. He was like walking, breathing fear, personified. I liked that for sure. Calmly going about, re-establishing order.

I loved it. Luffy got beat bad, and it should do something to change him, I know. I had some doubts, but my faith in Oda's skill has redoubled. Good work !!!

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-03-14, 14:22   Link #130
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
JINBEI has a point. Magellan wasn't able to dodge any Luffy's attack, but he knew when Luffy was coming from behind - unlike Bruno. Every Luffy's attack was weaker, so I'm guessing that if Luffy weren't losing strenght he would KO Magellan, but he didn't want to use 2+3 gear, but that would most likely finish Magellan in one shot, but Luffy would take all of his poison in the face.

marvelB, I can already see you having your next avatar with Hanyball sighting or something

Bon-chan will probably rescue Mr.1 now before he goes to Lvl.5 - capturing Luffy made everybody calm and sneaking is now possible again.
Seeing how Luffy is covered in posionous goo, he might freeze like the thing in "the thing" movie XD

Don't compare Luffy to Naruto, because Luffy dosn't have a plotdevice in his belly.
Jiraya might explain something to Naruto that will eventually become non-comic Hokage, but you can't teach Luffy anything - he experianced dancing powder (in anime) and yet still didn't understand it at the begining. In Shackbooty arc Nami explained to him "they misteruosly disapear", even after they told him that he was the first one to experiance the bubbles to pop.
Bleach and Naruto might have a little comedy, but One Piece is mostly comedy and they can even place it in ID. I can't see any dumb bleach comedy while Ichigo is ripped into pieces, but you can expect Luffy to joke while dying

on my side: Luffy don't even change!
Old 2009-03-14, 15:51   Link #131
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
Tell that to Zoro, who does not have great traveling speed, but has great Combat Reflexes. Magellan took that attack, because he was setting up for his poison dragon, and was still able to fire it, because Luffy attack was not that damaging to him.
Zoro has great speed, i mean he was dodging Kuma's paw attacks which travel at a high speed... he does plenty of darting and dodging in his fight; he may not be as fast as Luffy or Lucchi, but he's definatly faster than Magellan is

Quote:
Being able to track, and counter/block/hit back is really more important then being able to travel at the same speed, this isn't a race its a fight. Luffy setting up for Gear 3rd and losing speed/Combat Reflexes, would leave Luffy open to all sorts of Magellan's poison and attacks, that would rob him of other stuff.
Being able to dodge becomes greatly important when it comes to gear 3... Gear 3 hits with an incredible amount of power... Lucchi took countless hits of Luffy's gear 2 attacks but i single hit from gear 3 was enough to nearly KO him; he lost consciousness for a few seconds after just one hit... If Lucchi was not fast enough to dodge those attacks Luffy would have been able to finish him quite easily with gear 3

With the kind of power that gear 3 has, countering/blocking/hitting back becomes irrelevant... Only way you can block the attack is if you reply with similar level of power which magellan has not shown to have, or having some incredibly high level defense... if you get hit with gear 3 it IS gonna hurt bad to the point that you may not be able to hit back due to a few broken bones... this is why Lucchi spent the whole time dodging gear 3 because he knew that if he kept taking hits from it Luffy was gonna be able to beat him
Old 2009-03-14, 16:09   Link #132
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolcik View Post
marvelB, I can already see you having your next avatar with Hanyball sighting or something

A Hannyabal avatar....? It's a rather tempting idea, but I've grown pretty fond of the Kumadori avatar that I've been using for nearly 3 years now! Perhaps I'll consider switching to a Hannyabal avvie when he appears in the anime, but it's not guaranteed.....

Anyway, I'm still wondering if Daz would actually be willing to help out Bon Clay. I mean, they didn't get along very well in Alabasta, and the Goldenweek ministory implies that both him and Crocodile have no intention of breaking out of prison. Therefore, I can only assume that Daz would have some sort of ulterior motive if he decides to help Bentham and co. rescue Luffy......
Old 2009-03-14, 16:28   Link #133
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
So all he would need is someone around him, that has a bit of strength, to pull his (deformable) hands out of the handcuffs.
Why need someone? If his haki is strong enough, it should be able to break the handcuffs with no external help. The only external help he needs right now is to get rid of the poison.
Old 2009-03-14, 16:37   Link #134
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
A Hannyabal avatar....? It's a rather tempting idea, but I've grown pretty fond of the Kumadori avatar that I've been using for nearly 3 years now! Perhaps I'll consider switching to a Hannyabal avvie when he appears in the anime, but it's not guaranteed.....
If you want to keep your current avatar, you could get a sig.
Old 2009-03-14, 17:56   Link #135
noktown

[QUOTE=Wolcik;2272495]JINBEI has a point. Magellan wasn't able to dodge any Luffy's attack, but he knew when Luffy was coming from behind - unlike Bruno. Every Luffy's attack was weaker, so I'm guessing that if Luffy weren't losing strenght he would KO Magellan, but he didn't want to use 2+3 gear, but that would most likely finish Magellan in one shot, but Luffy would take all of his poison in the face.

Don't forget that last time Luffy used Gear 2 +3 he fainted after like 3 attacks or something...

And this time he was more tired and even hungry which is prolly the same in a way,but the point is that he didn't even have enough power to activate 2+3 together,and activating gear 3 alone is pretty dangerous in a place like that in addition it's really slow.

Anyways,things are not looking good for Luffy,i have completely no idea as to how Oda will get him out of this situation,I was hoping that Luffy will be recognized after this arc by Shanks and Whitebeared ;d

But let's see what Oda has in store for us ;d
Old 2009-03-14, 19:32   Link #136
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Why are you guys even mentioning Gear 3? Gear 2 barely worked at all. If Gear 3 doesn't work, Luffy turns chibi and then he's at Magellan's mercy.
Old 2009-03-14, 19:57   Link #137
Prancing Preys
Voluptuous Pigeon

I believe that Luffy would not defeat Magellan if they were to have another round in the ring together. It is apparent that Magellan's level of of experience is far superior to Luffy's. He seems more to me as a tactician than anything else. All of his movements are executed with purpose, and he is definitely not the kind of guy who would underestimate his opponent or let his pride get in the way of his fighting.

Because of this, I believe that another person will defeat Magellan. Maybe an external force will infiltrate the structure and not only defeat/hold off Magellan, but also take Luffy and other significant characters safely away from Impel Down. What I am most concerned about is how Luffy and gang will get out of Impel Down safely. To get out of there, Luffy will definitely have to go up against Magellan again.

Hmmm... Lv 5 seems to be seriously cold. Luffy was JUST brought down to Lv 5 and he has become an ice cube. If Luffy were to have another bout with Magellan, this would be the place. Magellan's poison attacks all seem to take on a liquid form or a gas form. Luffy may stand a chance if Lv 5 is cold enough to freeze all of Magellan's attacks and prevent him from conjuring those deadly techniques. Lv 5 would not be a problem for Luffy because Gear 2 would heat him up thus allowing him to negate the frost.

If Mr. 1 were to be set free, his assistance would be limited because he can't enter Lv 5. When metal is heated to an extremely high temperature and then become exposed to the polar extreme, it will freeze up and become very fragile. The only use for him is to prevent any prison guards from entering Lv 5 meaning standing by the doors on Lv 4 that leads to Lv 5.

Who do you guys think Luffy will get imprisoned with? Maybe Iwa the Tranny Queen?

And how do you guys think he will get out of Impel Down with (or without) Ace and Jimbei? Maybe Whitebeard (or other superpowers) will infiltrate the prison, or maybe Hancock has hijacked all of the marine vessels.

Last edited by Prancing Preys; 2009-03-14 at 20:07.
Old 2009-03-14, 20:21   Link #138
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Why are you guys even mentioning Gear 3? Gear 2 barely worked at all. If Gear 3 doesn't work, Luffy turns chibi and then he's at Magellan's mercy.
Because gear 3 is a lot more powerful than gear 2...
In their fight, Lucchi took a lot of hits from gear 2 and kept fighting on, but a single shot from gear 3 was knocked him out for a few seconds... the problem however was that Lucchi was very fast and could avoid the attacks; in theory, had Luffy been able to hit Luuchi with gear 3 attacks he would have finished him relatively easily

The way i see it, gear 3 should have some good potential against Magellan since unlike Luuchi he does not come off as a fast fight which means he's less likely to dodge those attacks...

Again, the chibi result of gear 3 has ALWAYS been a risk, but it did not stop Luffy from using it against Oz, Moria and the Kuma clone
Old 2009-03-14, 20:36   Link #139
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
You have to realize though Slayerx, Gear 2 is Luffy's best combat state [He is more balanced in this mode]. Gear 3 Sacrifices speed and the way Magellan was reacting to Gear 2 there should be no doubt that Magellan would be able to counterattack such a slow and huge attack with his various poisonous techniques. The only reason why Luffy was able to touch Lucci with Gear 3 was because Lucci thought it was a bluff attack and tried to block it.

Once again, in the end, Magallen was just too much for Luffy.
Old 2009-03-14, 20:46   Link #140
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
Once again, in the end, Magallen was just too much for Luffy.
I wouldn't quite say that. Luffy did go through many Marine guards, many Blue Gorillas, and a few mythological beasts. Added to that, he is starving, and, as we know, a satiated Luffy is easily twice as powerful as hungry Luffy.

Would Luffy have lost to Magellan if Luffy was a full strength? Probably (it works better for the plot for Luffy to lose). But, the fight would have been far closer, with Magellan almost as hurt as Luffy by the end.
Closed Thread