081 - 090: Great 66 20.43%
071 - 080: Very Good 46 14.24%
061 - 070: Good 50 15.48%
051 - 060: Average 24 7.43%
041 - 050: Below Average 17 5.26%
031 - 040: Bad 6 1.86%
021 - 030: Very Bad 4 1.24%
011 - 020: Awful 10 3.10%
001 - 010: You would rather watch Britney Spears exposing her crotch. *shudder* 22 6.81%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-11-21, 22:01   Link #121
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
You mean Marute Mode?
Heh, yeah.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 22:25   Link #122
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Seeing the movie without subs, I finally realize what it was that was nagging at the back of my mind since I read all the movie spoilers sometime ago.

Some interviews a while back had Mizushima saying that he was inspired by the latest Star Trek (XI) film, and wanted to emulate that style. In my view however, the movie doesn't seem to have much in the way of J.J. Abram's influence. Instead, Awakening of the Trailblazer reminds me more of another Star Trek movie - Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

You have an alien threat on a collision course with Earth threatening to wipe out humanity, and the only way to stop it is to negotiate peacefully. But that's not just where I see some influences though. Throughout the film the ELS maintain a sense of being mysterious, of being truly something that cannot be compared to anything humans have faced before. And that feeling is further magnified when the 00 Qan[T] enters the ELS mothership, and you see all these strange, colorful environments that have no analogue to anything on Earth - much like when the Enterprise goes through V'ger's insides. There's this sense of wonder and mystery to the entire scene that I've never seen in any Gundam before, and that few other sci-fi actually manage to convey, the amazement and bedazzlement at gazing unto a sight that no other humans have seen before. Even the alien's motivations are similar in being misunderstood: V'ger just wants to go home to its creators and "report back" so to speak, while the ELS simply want to understand humanity, and yet both are misconstrued as hostile in their intent.

IMHO however, Awakening of the Trailblazer actually succeeds in its message of achieving peace through diplomacy and understanding better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture, even as the former serves up way more action and explosions than the latter. In Trek, humanity has had prior contact with aliens, and so any other alien life form is just "another day at Starfleet", whereas in 00 the ELS are truly the first aliens that humanity has encountered, which means that they can better convey the curiosity and fear of the unknown that marks meeting such a foreign existence - and they do. This further gives contrast to the next counterpoint: V'ger had a human creation as its core, which gives a reasonable point of familiarity to the entire construct; the ELS are a completely alien race with nothing in common with humans, and yet somehow the theme of understanding works best when you take two completely unrelated races and have them understand each other, which imho makes the entire message more convincing and powerful for the Gundam movie. In essence, Awakening of the Trailblazer seems more in line with Gene Rodenberry's vision than many Star Trek movies and episodes ever created.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 16:21   Link #123
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

You know, my only real disappointment with the battle scenes was that

Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-22, 17:11   Link #124
DV04

Quote:
You know, my only real disappointment with the battle scenes was that

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Scene:
DV04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 18:11   Link #125
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV04 View Post
Spoiler for Scene:
You'd think that

Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-22, 19:05   Link #126
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Some people just need a little motivation.
Old 2010-11-22, 22:13   Link #127
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
It depends on the execution of the idea. Evangelion followed this idea with a different Angel attacking every week, and that show is freaking awesome.
I've heard a ton about Evangelion. Don't mean to hijack the thread but is it comparable to Gundam?
Old 2010-11-22, 22:41   Link #128
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
I've heard a ton about Evangelion. Don't mean to hijack the thread but is it comparable to Gundam?
That depends on what you're looking for. The Gundam shows I would most compare Evangelion to are Victory, Zeta, and War in the Pocket; it is NOT a happy series. It's basically a decontruction of the Super Robot genre, exploring what happens when you put an emotionally unstable teenager in a WMD and expect him to do exactly as he's told. I highly recommend it, but it's not for the squeamish or someone who doesn't want to get inside the characters' heads or wants things to be black and white. And if you do watch it, good luck figuring out the ending.

Last edited by Kuroi Hadou; 2010-11-22 at 23:00.
Kuroi Hadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 23:01   Link #129
Elo the Blue

Quote:
That depends on what you're looking for. The Gundam shows I would most compare Evangelion to are Victory, Zeta, and War in the Pocket; it is NOT a happy series. It's basically a decontruction of the Super Robot genre, exploring what happens when you put an emotionally unstable teenager in a WMD and expect him to do exactly as he's told. I highly recommend it, but it's not for the squeamish or someone who doesn't want to get inside the characters' heads or wants things to be black and white. And if you do watch it, good luck figuring out the ending.
Thanks for the review. I'll put it on the list of anime I intend to watch.
Old 2010-11-22, 23:02   Link #130
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Thanks for the review. I'll put it on the list of anime I intend to watch.
My pleasure. Evangelion is one of those series you just have to watch, if for no other reason than that it was so influential on modern anime.
Old 2010-11-22, 23:39   Link #131
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

PROTIP: Watch the Evangelion Rebuild movies.

And yeah, I agree with the 00 movie seeming more like the OG Star Trek films rather than the newest one.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 00:08   Link #132
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon View Post
PROTIP: Watch the Evangelion Rebuild movies.
I actually meant to suggest that but it slipped my mind somehow.
Old 2010-11-23, 14:32   Link #133
whispo
The Reaper

Just watched the movie (or like 90% of it I could find). From an action point of view this was like a dream come true, pure epic gundam 00 style battles.

Story could have been done a bit better, but hey all of that has been said a million times before here on the forums.

It entertained me and thats what matters, now to wait for the blu-ray!
whispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 14:42   Link #134
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I think the biggest mistake was killing off Descartes so soon. What purpose did that serve?
Old 2010-11-23, 15:01   Link #135
Elo the Blue

Quote:
I think the biggest mistake was killing off Descartes so soon. What purpose did that serve?
I've wondered as much. In fact, what purpose did he serve? By revealing he was an Innovator prior to the movie's release, I thought he'd be a player of some kind. From what I've read though, he does next to nothing.
Old 2010-11-23, 15:20   Link #136
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

All he really did was show off his skills, and shed light on a plot point with the ESF abusing his power. Which in turn, was also useless, seeing as the ELS where the main baddies of the movie. So no conflict between humans and Innovators was created.

Much to Aeolia's theory, maybe thats what happened in the 50 year time gap. *shrug*
Old 2010-11-23, 15:24   Link #137
Elo the Blue

Quote:
All he really did was show off his skills, and shed light on a plot point with the ESF abusing his power. Which in turn, was also useless, seeing as the ELS where the main baddies of the movie.
That's a shame. I guess he really was just a "plot decoy".
Old 2010-11-23, 15:26   Link #138
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Yeah, you'd think with all the hype and info they gave on him, prior to the movie's release, he would of played a much bigger role.

A team up with him and Setsuna would of been beyond kick ass. But they used Graham instead.
Old 2010-11-23, 18:02   Link #139
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Yeah, you'd think with all the hype and info they gave on him, prior to the movie's release, he would of played a much bigger role.

A team up with him and Setsuna would of been beyond kick ass. But they used Graham instead.
... you make it sound like it was a bad thing they used Graham.
Old 2010-11-23, 18:29   Link #140
Rawinder

Quote:
I've wondered as much. In fact, what purpose did he serve? By revealing he was an Innovator prior to the movie's release, I thought he'd be a player of some kind. From what I've read though, he does next to nothing.
Exactly.

Descartes was a red herring for the ELS.

In any case, I think it would have been cool to have a finale of Setsuna/Graham vs. an ELS-infected Descartes.
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote