AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-31, 18:58   Link #261
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....

well i've watched the first episode (00), and i liked it. I dont really have any complaints (of course the voice acting for that episode is suppose to be bad, so if its like that later on, well that wont be so good. (talking about itsuki and yuki)
Old 2007-05-31, 22:45   Link #262
alpha3six
913-D

In the DVD translation, Yuki says "Yes way."

Would she really say something like that?

And what about Haruhi and Kyon saying "Same difference"
Old 2007-06-01, 00:27   Link #263
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha3six View Post
In the DVD translation, Yuki says "Yes way."

Would she really say something like that?
Well, in the dub, she says "Way." She responds with "Aru" in Japanese, so there is little that could be used. It could simply have been "It is (true)." Since they translated what Kyon said to "No way," I think that "Yes way" would have been a proper response. Translations don't have to be literal as long as the meaning is the same.

Quote:
And what about Haruhi and Kyon saying "Same difference"
When was this? If this is the sub, then I haven't watched it yet.
Old 2007-06-01, 01:49   Link #264
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, the thought of Yuki incorporating a slang phrase "yes way" is kind of cute if they don't over do it. She *should* spend most of her time speaking flawlessly though.
Old 2007-06-01, 02:04   Link #265
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, the thought of Yuki incorporating a slang phrase "yes way" is kind of cute if they don't over do it. She *should* spend most of her time speaking flawlessly though.
So, should she be using the Vulcan monotone, or borrow the speech habits of Data (before the emo chip)

Old 2007-06-01, 02:07   Link #266
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
So, should she be using the Vulcan monotone, or borrow the speech habits of Data (before the emo chip)

Actually... yeah, I think you've got the right idea. That's about how her Japanese seiyuu portrayed her, and I thought it fit brilliantly: emotionless, but not robotic.
Old 2007-06-01, 18:27   Link #267
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....

Ok, i have one complaint, its that haruhi uses the word moe when describing mikuru, most people have no idea what that means and its sorta hard to follow, i think using something simply like cute or hot or attractive that has the same type of meaning but is more mainstream. (plus the way moe is pronounced sounds very foreign, or at least how she pronounces it)
Old 2007-06-01, 18:43   Link #268
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoozoc View Post
Ok, i have one complaint, its that haruhi uses the word moe when describing mikuru, most people have no idea what that means and its sorta hard to follow, i think using something simply like cute or hot or attractive that has the same type of meaning but is more mainstream. (plus the way moe is pronounced sounds very foreign, or at least how she pronounces it)
To have people having no idea what Haruhi means and unable to follow her thoughts is exactly the point; she isn't suppose to care about the main stream. It is like the word "ESPer".
Old 2007-06-01, 18:57   Link #269
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
To have people having no idea what Haruhi means and unable to follow her thoughts is exactly the point; she isn't suppose to care about the main stream. It is like the word "ESPer".
i guess, i mean it is the most literal translation, but if someone doesn't understand a show, or cant pick up on any of the jokes (especially one as good as this one), it isn't any good. Its really a minor complaint i guess.

BTW did anyone notice the new scenes? Thats awesome, i didn't know they would be extra stuff in the DVD version (even if its just clips here and there)
Old 2007-06-01, 19:08   Link #270
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
i guess, i mean it is the most literal translation, but if someone doesn't understand a show, or cant pick up on any of the jokes (especially one as good as this one), it isn't any good. Its really a minor complaint i guess.

BTW did anyone notice the new scenes? Thats awesome, i didn't know they would be extra stuff in the DVD version (even if its just clips here and there)
There is a youtube video somewhere that showed all the changes... Most of them are more about fixing continuity errors, but yes a few scenes were added.
Old 2007-06-01, 22:23   Link #271
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I got my Haruh LE box today....
Forced myself to watch ep 1 and parts of 2 and 3 in the English dub.

My judgement as one who find 95% of all dubbing horrible:
Stop the presses. It *doesn't* completely suck.

Kyon's VA starts off a bit rough but by the midpoint of ep 1, he's got the bemused sarcasm down pretty good. Since its such an "american" attitude it transfers well.

Haruhi .... there's something cloying about the way Wendee Lee talks that I find instantly annoying and false. However, when she's talking to Kyon (especially during the hilarious 'short straw' field trip) she does a pretty good job of channeling Haruhi. So her performance is mixed.

Yuki's VA .... maybe its her pitch that's off. She's not bad on the pacing and articulation. But she should be running on a lower breathy pitch and she isn't. Probably the biggest missed execution.

Mikuru ... in a wierd twist of logic, I find Mikuru's english VA's performance works. Her voice is so tiny and sadly fatalistic. Thumbs up from me.

Itsuki: ...mmmm, not bad. You want to kill him half the time and the other half the time you're glad he's there --- so good rendition of Itsuki.

I'll gird my loins and try to listen again to check the "tier 2 characters" like Tsuruya and Kyon's posse.

So that's the review from someone who has to be tied down to watch anime as dubbed by budget productions. They worked pretty hard on this. I'm finding more and more recently dubbed anime incrementally improving - that's a good thing.
Old 2007-06-01, 23:27   Link #272
The Real Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Actually... yeah, I think you've got the right idea. That's about how her Japanese seiyuu portrayed her, and I thought it fit brilliantly: emotionless, but not robotic.
I think it came off pretty well. In the dub Kyon says "No way" and Yuki instantly responds "Way" in the same monotone she'd been using all a long, it was a little weird but somehow it just worked.
Quote:
I think the reasoning behind that is just that there *isn't* really a good English translation for moe, it kind of is what it is. They do try to explain it though.
Old 2007-06-02, 01:20   Link #273
rpgman1

So who is the writer and voice director for SHnY? It must be really tough for those two to cast VAs and say things that could probably be understood by Japanese people. I've seen the Jap. version and it was wonderful. Now I gotta watch the dub to see how well the VAs did. Makes me wonder why did people have to vote for suitable VAs for the characters in this series? We got only Mikuru, Kyon and Itsuki's VAs from the voting system. Kari Wahlgren would've been a great Haruhi, but she was casted as Tsuruya. I wonder about the voting system for Yuki since most people voted for Kate Higgins then Michelle Ruff as a close second. Bandai must've pour a lot of money into licensing and promoting the series since there are some VAs who I had thought disappeared or went on for much bigger work since we voted for casting VAs (Bridget Hoffman. Brianne Siddall, Sherry Lynn, and Dorothy Elias-Fahn). Wish it was on Adult Swim, but the network will probably air it so late that barely anybody watches it.
Old 2007-06-02, 01:22   Link #274
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i didnt like it when she said moe either.

i would have preferred hot blooded, or sexy, or chic or almost anything else.

i thought mikuru a bit too soft voiced. and nagato actually had too much personality :x

but it is one of the better eglish dubs i have heard. ranma 1/2 is probably still at the top of the list for me though.
Old 2007-06-02, 09:41   Link #275
Asrialys

I don't think there is anything that could substitute for "moe" in English. They used the subtitle "moe = turn-on" for a simple definition. Many well-versed anime watchers might feel that anything else other than "moe" would have been wrong. For me, I approve the use of "moe" in this case.
Old 2007-06-02, 13:37   Link #276
rpgman1

It's really hard to find suitable VAs for SHnY and they have to closely match those of their Japanese counterparts. Naruto and Bleach are good examples. Usually, it's either "I love it" or I hate it" series. English VAs are still underpaid even unionized (Crispin Freeman taking on multiple roles in Blood+). In Japan, the VAs are idols and stars already there once they get in plenty of roles. Anime here in the US is always treated as "second-rate" cartoons and nothing more. Some English VAs really wanted to paid really well hence the union dubs in anime. SHnY is a short series at just 14 episodes, yet we get respectable VAs since Bandai Ent. heavily promotes the series. Competition for VAs must be incredibly fierce in California since they are many opportunities there.
Old 2007-06-02, 13:51   Link #277
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Yuki's "way" line was my favorite. Hil-frickin'-larious.
Old 2007-06-02, 14:10   Link #278
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
In looking at some clips from the dub here's my breakdown:

Haruhi: Wendee Lee Sounds far too bitchy, almost whiny. Whereas the Aya Hirano's Haruhi was always kind of bitchy sounding, she did not sound whiny, but rather on top of things and in charge. I kind of think Wendee Lee misinterpreted her character a little bit. What else is new....

Kyon: Better than the sub. He's got the sarcasm part down fairly well (from an American standpoint on what sarcasm sounds like), plus I find his voice to not be as annoying or grating. The problem with the Sugita's Kyon is that he always sounded like he was trying to hard to stay on the same sarcastic tone no matter what the situation(it seem's artificial), whereas in real life people do shift pitches and tone quite frequently (at least everyone I know does), Crispin Freeman does that, making English Kyon more realistic to me.

Ryoko: Halruhi? Who is Halruhi? Kind of a straight up cute girl performance, but then Ryoko was never really that much of a stand out character anyway in terms of going beyond cute sounding girl.

Kunikida: Is that a kid doing his voice. I honestly don't remember exactly what he sounded like originally but I think it fits.

Mikuru: Beyond amusing actually. Whenever I hear this voice I picture that one scene from Family Guy where Walt Disney is trying to draw Minnie Mouse and she exclaims "Do I...Do I Haaaaave Toooo?" in this utterly defeated voice. Probably just a good.

Yuki: Impossible to mess up in all honesty so there's really no point in mentioning that its a good job.

The only real problem here is the title character, all others either meet or in one case exceed the original cast for me.
Old 2007-06-02, 18:21   Link #279
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Kunikida: Is that a kid doing his voice. I honestly don't remember exactly what he sounded like originally but I think it fits.
Kunikida's English voice is done by the same person who played Tsukasa on .hack/SIGN, that's what his voice immediately reminded me of. I believe both are played by a woman.

edit: wrong character >_<

Last edited by Mirrinus; 2007-06-02 at 22:34.
Old 2007-06-02, 19:58   Link #280
rpgman1

The English VA for Kunikida is Brianne Siddall, she is really famous for voicing young boys. Some people remember her for one measly role in Bleach, but she is better known for her voicework in Xenosaga as Jr.. Same goes for Crispin Freeman in Xenosaga as Gaignun and Albedo (Jr's. other half: more like siamese twins). I think many VAs were involved in Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sparch Zarathrustra (Wendee Lee as voice director and one measly role, Crispin Freeman as Gaignun and Albedo, Brianne Siddall as Jr., and Bridget Hoffman as KOS-MOS and T-elos, Michael McConnohie as Margulis, Dave Wittenburg as Allen, and Kari Wahlgren as Febronia and Peligri). Those games were union work as well and it makes me wish Bridget Hoffman would return to anime as she has great variations in her voice, but she is pro-union along the likes of Crispin Freeman and Kari Wahlgren.
Closed Thread