AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-16, 23:27   Link #81
Rol)n£y ]V[a¢l{
The MacMilitant

Send a message via MSN to Rol)n£y ]V[a¢l{
by seeing the first episode, this anime will be quite interesting. i got confused when i saw the green haired guy cause he looks like a chick. then again some animes do that. the samurai that appeared in the end was amazing with his sword. can't wait to see episode 2

there's only gonna be 2 eps per month on this anime?
Rol)n£y ]V[a¢l{ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 07:50   Link #82
updatedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Bah, I thought the first samurai that they met (the one who asked the other samurai if he could be his apprentence), would atleast be able to kick some ass. But it seems he is just a rookie
Spoiler:

Overall, I like it. I actually like the episode 2 baddie thus far, normally characters of that type annoy me, this one is 'cute' in a (lame?) puppy sorta way. Same with the kid sister, normally those kinds of characters are brattily annoying, but she's quite cute overall.

Thus far, the series seems to be reproducing quite a few movie moments, but also adding some new elements and generally arranging bits here and there so as to differ from the movie. I like it. Still iffy on the priestess though. I'm thinking I know who she is from the movie, but her Samurai 7 incarnation... it's risky, in the sense that it might throw the 'feel' of. Ah well, so far, so good. Definately looking forward to future eps.
updatedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 09:00   Link #83
K_R
also known as K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m4
There is a big difference between a western remake of Seven Samurai and one set in the future with ridiculously huge mecha. First of all Kurosawa was considered a very 'western' director by Japanese standards, and was also very influenced by spaghetti westerns. So it was very fitting for his film to be made into a western.
*Buubuu*

You forget to realise (or just don't know) that the 'spaghetti western' is a variant on the 'western' that came about during the 1960s (and into the 1970s). Shichinin no Samurai was made in 1954. Kurosawa first directed films in 1943.

But, yes, he was influenced by classical westerns (John Ford, et. al.). And it's not the only Kurosawa to have been remade/influenced a western movie.

And I thought the mecha were about normal size. Now the SDF-1 Macross... that's a ridiculously huge mecha!! ;)

--

Anyway, I finally got around to watching the show. I think the story is quite good actually, and I find that having watched the original (in the full 206min cut) I somewhat enjoy the show more. The art is definitely top notch, but that's a given with gonzo... I hope they can keep the standard high as the series progresses...
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 15:12   Link #84
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Anyone seen the other translation yet? I only saw Keep - Anbu version I tought it was ok. ^^

And what's a mikumari miko? is that priestess title?
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 16:54   Link #85
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Miko is a priestess and Mikumari is a water seer. It is explained in the notes at the top of the screen (on the Keep-ANBU version) when they first use the terms.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 17:31   Link #86
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Is it a traditional title in japan? Because I'm quite interested in this kind of stuffs and I tried to look up literal tranlations for Mikumari but came up with nothing. Just wondering where Keep ANBU get their info from.
Old 2004-06-17, 18:01   Link #87
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think mikumari is 水分 ( みずまり ) , which means "water split", the name of the god of water is mikumari, who splits/distributes water. So mikumari miko means the priestess to the god of water, thus water priestess.

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-06-17 at 18:11.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 18:17   Link #88
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I think mikumari is 水分 ( みずまり ) , which means "water split", the name of the god of water is mikumari, who splits/distributes water. So mikumari miko means the priestess to the god of water, thus water priestess.
Thanks, that explains alot and Mikumari miko make alot more sense now. ^^
Old 2004-06-18, 13:47   Link #89
ketchakik

Anyone know when ep3 will be out?

really love the serise and can't wait to see what happens next..so does anyone know when it'll be out?
ketchakik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 15:37   Link #90
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchakik
really love the serise and can't wait to see what happens next..so does anyone know when it'll be out?
You drunk?! Episode 5 is out
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 20:43   Link #91
Rol)n£y ]V[a¢l{
The MacMilitant

Send a message via MSN to Rol)n£y ]V[a¢l{
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0
You drunk?! Episode 5 is out
wat do u mean episode 5 is out? only 1 and 2 have been realesed. Maybe you're drunk!

watched eps 2. pretty good to watch can't wait till eps 3 comes out. pretty funny when the mecha samurai and the green haired guy were basically gettin beat up and wats wit that guy with white skin. they trying to compare him with Orochimaru or wat?
Rol)n£y ]V[a¢l{ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 21:25   Link #92
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol)n£y ]V[a¢l{
wat do u mean episode 5 is out? only 1 and 2 have been realesed. Maybe you're drunk!

watched eps 2. pretty good to watch can't wait till eps 3 comes out. pretty funny when the mecha samurai and the green haired guy were basically gettin beat up and wats wit that guy with white skin. they trying to compare him with Orochimaru or wat?

Your confused too.

Here is the real deal:

Only 4 episode have been aired so far, and 3 has been out along time ago.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 21:32   Link #93
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Your confused too.

Here is the real deal:

Only 4 episode have been aired so far, and 3 has been out along time ago.

Umm... You living in the future? Eps 3 & 4 will be shown on SkyPerfecTV for the first time on July 10. Or are you thinking of Samurai Champloo?
Old 2004-06-20, 05:57   Link #94
HoboGod
Necromancer

heh... a classic samurai flick turns mecha. Am I the only one GREATLY disturbed by the idea of futuristic past? what pisses me off is that the idea of a futuristic past isn't even original! most of them are anime like trigun, but still, even hollywood pulls out things like star wars.

well, i do say that anything that contridicts itself by definition will piss me off: passive agressive, young adult, anti-conformist group, scientific theologist, new classic, represenitive democracy, limited freedom, ect.... but i digress, the point is that i'm pissed that a potentially good show was ruined by oxymoron.

/end rant
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 10:29   Link #95
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Umm... You living in the future? Eps 3 & 4 will be shown on SkyPerfecTV for the first time on July 10. Or are you thinking of Samurai Champloo?

HahA. I'm thinking of samurai champloo

The word samurai in the name got me confused >.<
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 10:44   Link #96
newtype06

the OP song is pretty catchy. anybody knows when will it be released?
newtype06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 11:32   Link #97
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
heh... a classic samurai flick turns mecha. Am I the only one GREATLY disturbed by the idea of futuristic past? what pisses me off is that the idea of a futuristic past isn't even original! most of them are anime like trigun, but still, even hollywood pulls out things like star wars.

well, i do say that anything that contridicts itself by definition will piss me off: passive agressive, young adult, anti-conformist group, scientific theologist, new classic, represenitive democracy, limited freedom, ect.... but i digress, the point is that i'm pissed that a potentially good show was ruined by oxymoron.

/end rant
Hmmm, you left out one more oxymoron (contradiction by definition). The crop of "ninja" series these days. Ninjas are supposed to be shadow warriors, mostly spies and assassins in extreme times. They are not supposed to call attention to themselves or have techniques that announce thier presence to people within miles. Nowadays we have series that have "ninjas" that are really DBZ warriors in disguise!

Guess you'll be pissed off to watch that show eh? Lucky you don't watch such contradictive by definition shows, right?
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 12:54   Link #98
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

The juxtaposition of fancy technology, a ruling elite and a lower class with a rather primitive lifestyle immediately made me think of Last Exile. But that's a good thing, right? ^_^
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-20, 16:36   Link #99
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Well at least it doesn't have magic, or it will become Final Fantasy ^^;;
Old 2004-06-20, 16:43   Link #100
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
The juxtaposition of fancy technology, a ruling elite and a lower class with a rather primitive lifestyle immediately made me think of Last Exile. But that's a good thing, right? ^_^
well, problem is that water priestess is not nearly as cute as Lavi, not to mention that merchant son guy is just way way way below Dio's level

Fancy technology with primitive lifestyle... it reminds me of Nausicaa somewhat...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical