AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-10-09, 21:18   Link #1
Link

Send a message via AIM to Link
Question about burning VCDs and DVDs

Well, I have Nero and DvdSanta and I've been trying to burn some stuff for my friend.

More specifically, One Piece stuff. So, I got Movie 3 to a VCD but the quality really really sucked. I tried to do something with Movie 2, and it says, "Nero does not support this file type" or something of that sort. Weird thing is, everything is in AVI form, but the only file it would accept is Movie 3.... If anyone knows why, please tell. Thanks!

If you don't know the answer, that's fine cause I don't plan to make a VCD anymore do to the poor quality. Instead, is there a way to make high quality stuff with a good resolution on Nero? It doesn't matter if it uses DVDs or CDs, I got both. Thanks for this too!

NExt, I used DVDSanta to burn Movie 4 and it worked... Slightly... Maybe it's because my TV is small (26-ish") but they cut off the sides so you can't see all the subtitles and such. But then again, Movie 4 was widescreen-ish so that may be the reason. Also, when I reached the half way point, it started to not work. It just froze there. I tried it on my DVD player and on the PC....

Well, my question here would be, is there any program that I can use to burn video files (avi, mpg, mkv, etc) with good quality/resolution and have a menu. Yes, I would like to have the menu function, but I could live without it.

THanks in advance!
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 22:53   Link #2
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

Because you want to burn something that is licenced(to my knolage) i will not help you. sorry but you should really just buy the dvd and support the creators.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 23:56   Link #3
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
Because you want to burn something that is licenced(to my knolage) i will not help you. sorry but you should really just buy the dvd and support the creators.
Movie 3 and Movie 4, if I recall correctly, are not out here yet... And even if they are, I would much rather listen to the Japanese voices... Also, 4kids have not released a DVD either, so I see nothing wrong with what I'm doing...

Besides, that's irrevalent to the topic. I could have said something like Naruto or Hunter X Hunter, I just picked One Piece. And I'm not talking about downloading One Piece, just requesting a good program. If it makes you feel better, I'll say I'm trying to burn "insert non-licensed anime here"
Old 2004-10-10, 01:02   Link #4
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
that is licenced(to my knolage) i will not help you.
The word is spelled knowledge, k-n-o-w-l-e-d-g-e. If you are going to chew someone out, at least make a good faith effort to spell your words correctly. www.m-w.com can be a lifesaver.

Onto the actual topic: I'll pretend you wanted to burn the movies, which according to the Anime News Network are not licenced.

First off, you have a pretty sad program there, I downloaded the free trial and it seems like you're not going to be able to expect super-high quality.

Anyway, the VCD standard is 352 x 288 pixels. The movie probably started as 640 x 360. So you're loosing about half of the quality right away. Not only that, but the MPEG-1 video encoding VCD uses is very dated; it is free though. Nero's encoding software is dated as well, it probably doesn't like any movie files which are not of standard dimensions or have Variable Bit Rate(VBR) audio. That explains why some files work and other don't. There isn't much you can do, aside from using TMPGEnc to encode the MPEG-1 first before importing it into Nero. However, even TMPGEnc doesn't like VBR audio. Post 9 in this thread explains a work around.

Onto your DVD problem. First off, make sure you set the program to 16:9 aspect ratio.

Your video file is probably 640x360 and 640/360=1.77777 and 16/9=1.77777. You get the picture.

As for why you cant read the subtitles, it is because fansub groups don't conform to the "TV Safe Area". The TV Safe Area is the area that all TV sets can display without being covered up by the frame and what not. The only work around I can think of with the dvdSanta program is explained in this thread. See posts 5 and 10.

In short, you have to apply a filter that adds a black border around the movie and re-encode it in VirtualDubMod. It's very time consuming, and in my opinion not worth the trouble, but that's how you'd do it.

If you do decide to do it, follow the instructions mentioned above. Use the following settings:

New Width: 610
New Height: 337
Expand Frame and Letterbox Image: Check
Frame Width: 640
Frane Height: 360

As for your last question, a good program? I don't know, sorry. I use Adobe Premier. Then again, the state's taxpayers bought it, not me. There are many suggestions in the thread entitled "Burning video DVDs".

Last edited by KeinikuSuki; 2004-10-10 at 01:22.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 14:08   Link #5
Link

Wow, that's a lot of stuff I got to do then. Thanks for your help and I'll look into some of the stuff you recommended.

I may just make a data disc instead, since it can hold more stuff. I was just trying to make a DVD/VCD because it would look cooler and such but, I guess there's not much point to it.

Well, once again, thanks!