AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-04-10, 05:50   Link #8561
Ynot

Thanks for the extra info js06. Imai Kami really likes to let himself be inspired by other religions and languages when it comes to giving his characters names. I'm so used to Voras and Mengroze anything else feels odd though.

It's funny to see Mengroze's name derived from an alias of Freyja, a goddess associated with love and beauty amongst other things. Yet it's fitting when looking at it from Mengroze's perspective.
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 09:19   Link #8562
Sayo A.
Presumably Pentadactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by js06 View Post
Mengroze (メングローズ) comes from Menglod (メングロズ) another name for the Norse goddess Freyja. (He says he changed it to メングローズ because he didn't like how メングロズ sounded. I guess a more accurate romanization would be Menglode given this information.

Voras (ヴォーラス) should actually be Volos which is Russian for hair.

The Eir system comes from the name of another Norse goddess.

Lastly, Overlord's base is Lyfjaberg which is the name of the hill Eir sits upon in Norse mythology.
He doesn't make things easy for you, does he?

Mind you, if anyone had bothered to read the Wikipedia page for Eir that you linked to about two years ago, it's all in there:

In the Poetic Edda poem Fjölsvinnsmál, the watchman Fjölsviðr presents a list of the maidens that attend the lady of the keep—Menglöð—that includes Eir, and states that they all sit on the hill Lyfjaberg (Old Norse "hill of healing" or "healing mountain").

Of course, I'm in no position to criticise anyone for missing those references. Despite studying Russian for five years when I was in high school, I completely failed to spot that "Voras" should have been "Volos". I couldn't even remember the word...
Old 2012-04-10, 23:01   Link #8563
Avvesione

Sorry, been out of the loop for a while. It's sad to hear about pewpew but I'm incredibly happy for what they've done and all the work they put into making Needless available for everyone. Glad to hear js06 will continue to translate stuff and recently bought Volume 14 (sorry, if you had told me I could've sent you the pictures of Disk's bank from Volume 14 when I got back from Japan) and I'd like to take a moment and thank js06 and Ynot for all the work they've done. You guys have been amazing! Thank you!

Not much to add to the discussion here but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayo A. View Post
Of course, I'm in no position to criticise anyone for missing those references. Despite studying Russian for five years when I was in high school, I completely failed to spot that "Voras" should have been "Volos". I couldn't even remember the word...
That's my fault (also my fault on Overlord being called Overload) since I thought the chapter was going with Greek mythology after seeing only Voras. Her fragment is Gorgon Hair (like Medusa) so it is an honest mistake and there are Voras mountains in Greece which was the closest romanji to her name. Guess not! Oh well!
Old 2012-04-11, 12:54   Link #8564
Avvesione

Actually, I do have something to add but it really isn't anything substantial or meaningful.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-11, 13:06   Link #8565
Soji

^To tell you the true
Spoiler for spoiler:
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 15:23   Link #8566
Skieth

I also want to thank Ynot and Js06 for all the work they did with pew pew. You guys are awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-11, 19:40   Link #8567
Avvesione

^
Yeah, but almost everything is wrong except for those predictions near the end of the arc where you know how it will wrap up (besides the end of Eve's Story, that was a surprise). And sometimes some elements work out from some ideas (like I thought Cruz being trapped in Mengroze's room (do we use Mengold now?) would be like the story of Daniel in the Lion's Den which it is kinda...), so it just depends. For this case, it looks pretty clear that Setsuna and Kuchinashi will defect to Cruz's side and since they've reappeared in the manga, it's likely sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
^To tell you the true
Spoiler for spoiler:
I would absolutely love to see that happen, you don't know how happy that'd make me to see something like that happen, especially if that's the first thing he does.
Old 2012-04-12, 05:31   Link #8568
Soji

Quote:
I would absolutely love to see that happen, you don't know how happy that'd make me to see something like that happen, especially if that's the first thing he does.
Honestly i think would be the best route for more that one reason.
Spoiler for just in case:

That's why I really hope the author take this route.

Last edited by Soji; 2012-04-12 at 06:00.
Old 2012-04-12, 06:15   Link #8569
Ynot

Thanks for the kind words Avvesione and Skieth, much appreciated

Nanami and Misaki's possible return as clones would be nice if only to see how Imai Kami would draw them with his current skills. Just like others have already said it would introduce some great dynamics between the characters. Where does your loyalty lie and how much are you willing to break/bend that for your personal goals/grudges. It would be a good tie in with the past chapters even if they would turn out to be cannon fodder(again). Turning them into a running gag would be a little too sad though. I'm still expecting Teruyama to encounter his clone in the future.

Whether Yamada will be of much use(can he properly control his power?) is something I am also curious about. It'd be nice if he can repay some of the debts he has to Mio etc. but we don't know much about the first stages of getting used to your power. Will it come as natural to him as using doppleganger was for Eve?

Anyway he's together with Blade and I'm sure Blade would be more than willing to save whatever cute looking girl is in harm's way before Yamada has a chance to power up. I'm expecting Yamada to say something like "Oh shit! There's no time to talk about my power! Teruyama and Mio are still fighting Kuchinashi and Setsuna! We have to go help them!"

But I sure hope we'll get to see what's going on with Seth and Solva in the next chapter too. Perhaps a surprise character will show up to help them?
Old 2012-04-12, 08:06   Link #8570
Homura7

I won't be surprised if Blade lets Yamada do the job this time. Because for all we know, only him could convince Setsuna & Kuchinashi.

And it would be a perfect chance to test his fragment.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 09:59   Link #8571
Sayo A.
Presumably Pentadactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
I'm expecting Yamada to say something like "Oh shit! There's no time to talk about my power! Teruyama and Mio are still fighting Kuchinashi and Setsuna! We have to go help them!"
Frankly, it didn't look like they needed much help... but yes, I can see Cruz wanting to get the team back together in any case. Though the readers are going to be so pissed off if the nature of his power isn't revealed right away. Killing off Arca would be nothing in comparison.
Quote:
But I sure hope we'll get to see what's going on with Seth and Solva in the next chapter too. Perhaps a surprise character will show up to help them?
Did you have anyone specific in mind? I'm still kind of hoping for the original Kafka to show up, having avoided his death due to a time paradox. Not quite sure how he could help fight a stronger version of himself, mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
do we use Mengold now?
That's Menglöð. The final letter isn't a D but an Eth. I suppose "Menglothe" might be the closest thing to the intended pronunciation. If only it didn't give the impression of speaking with a lisp...
Old 2012-04-12, 13:30   Link #8572
DarkSkiper
Evil Mage

Well Yamada has no idea about his fragment so only way we could see it's full potential if Yamada gets enraged and/or unconsciously unleashes it (like when Arca died before his eyes).
And the was a thought that Yamada may posses Zero right? Well it's an interesting thought, but if he really does posses Zero I think it will be different from Arclight's and Blade's (maybe only absorb energy from enemy's attack and unleash it? explains why Arca's power had no effect he just absorbed it).
But we will get the answer soon enough.... Hopefully.
DarkSkiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:42   Link #8573
Homura7

If it's Zero it will work the same as Blade and Arclight's fragments.

I don't think it's coincidence he now has a hole exactly there, in the fronthead.

I have a certain theory, though I'm not sure if I should tell you about it in detail. Wanna?
Old 2012-04-12, 15:46   Link #8574
DarkSkiper
Evil Mage

^Hit me!

Hope we get the answer about Yamadas fragment in the next chapter, if not then at least some info about Arcas last words...
DarkSkiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:51   Link #8575
Soji

DarkSkiper@
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2012-04-12, 17:48   Link #8576
Homura7

Leaving aside that issue, my theory centers around Yamada's fragment.

I believe he always had it stored inside his brains, but just like any other needless at the very beggining, it wasn't fully awakened.

Remember, back in St. Rose, that sheet of paper Yamada was holding which contained the data profile of a killergirl? In one of the labels, the following was written on it: "Fragment: Eden Seed not tested".

That's it, in order to fully awaken your fragment, Eden Seed or Eden Apple, call how you like it better, is required.

But there's more. Aside from this, one more thing was holding Yamada back from fully releasing his powers: the chip. Like a firewall, the chip located in the brain portion where the fragment is, was a barrier, and Arclight unknowingly removed it and awakened the beast.

Now, from where and from who would Yamada gain the Eden Seed. Isn't it obvious?

Simeon HQ. When Saten faked defeat while fighting Eve thus allowing her to use Doppelganger on Yamada.

It's pretty much the sames as Riru with the exception she had nothing stored inside her brains to hold her fragment in.

I'll leave that here. Think on your own and tell me if you agree or if you would add something else.

Last edited by Homura7; 2012-04-12 at 18:11.
Old 2012-04-13, 04:28   Link #8577
Ynot

Quote:
Frankly, it didn't look like they needed much help... but yes, I can see Cruz wanting to get the team back together in any case. Though the readers are going to be so pissed off if the nature of his power isn't revealed right away. Killing off Arca would be nothing in comparison.
Teruyama and Mio were certainly whooping their ass, but underestimating Setsuna and Kuchinashi wouldn't be a smart thing. If you read the page again you'll see there's a sense of urgency when Mio tells Yamada to leave. I think Mio knows her comrades aren't to be taken lightly. And that's without even taking into account possible reinforcements being send their way. ... At least I don't see how a fight like that can go unnoticed.

I'm expecting Yamada's power to not be revealed just yet. Or perhaps a big hint will be given at the end of the chapter. I wouldn't mind having to wait a bit longer and be given the chance to do some more guessing if we're provided with some extra hints. I doubt it's going to be zero though. I haven't seen other zero users doing weird eye changing. Besides we'd have three zero users. That would become boring, or at least imo.

That reminds me...will Blade try to take Yamada's power by slamming his byakugou against Yamada's head? Or is that even possible with the hole(which I suppose is still there) in his forehead?

Quote:
Did you have anyone specific in mind? I'm still kind of hoping for the original Kafka to show up, having avoided his death due to a time paradox. Not quite sure how he could help fight a stronger version of himself, mind you.
Not really, but I like your idea. He'd have the element of surprise....perhaps he could tie up Uten (or do some dicing and slicing) and more importantly he could use his strings to operate Solva's arms like those of a marionette, giving her a chance to fight again now that her nerves have been cut.

Hmmm, perhaps Gido will finally make his appearance again and do that distraction thing he did in third shelter But seriously...where the hell are you Gido!?
Old 2012-04-13, 07:43   Link #8578
Homura7

Arclight with his "Don't tell me you are..." seemed to know what's happening with Yamada's eye color.

And fuck yeah, I'm still expecting the real Kafka brought back to life to make an entrance thanks to the changes made in Blade's memories and turn the tables, destroy the cloned Kafka and force Uten to withdraw.

Last edited by Homura7; 2012-04-13 at 07:56.
Old 2012-04-13, 07:49   Link #8579
Soji

Adan@ He does seem to know what Yamada his or better his eyes/fragment if not his line ...i think his *WTF* face it's enough to think he know what Yamada's Power is.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:27   Link #8580
Homura7

^Which means his power isn't something new if Arclight knows.

Tags
action, comedy, seinen