AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-04-22, 13:01   Link #1
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Most Fitting OP/ED

This time the question I'm presenting is based not on the QUALITY of the song, but how well it matches the anime it's paired with. List some but PLEASE PROVIDE AN EXPLANATION. Makes things much more fun this way :-)

Now and Then, Here and There - the opening is one of the most heart-wrenching and beautiful opening songs I've ever heard, and what adds more to the feel of it is that there are no words but a woman's haunting humming. If I ever forgot how cruel the anime I was about to watch was, I need only watch the opening

Paranoia Agent - the opening is an amazing song in and of itself, but it doesn't match with its series nearly as well as the oddly disturbing instrumental ending song (heh, I think you can tell instrumentals speak to me ^^). Also the animation paired with the song really makes you shiver.

Fullmetal Alchemist - especially the first ending, although almost all the OP/ED pairs match the series. The first ending was filled with so much subtle angst, and, together with the lyrics, really described what the main characters were feeling (during the flashback arc, that is) perfectly.

I'll add more, want to see your responses first
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 14:40   Link #2
Tsu
Burorororou

Send a message via MSN to Tsu
Azumanga Daiou - Both the OP and the ED were cute, funny and zany, much like the series itself.

Crayon Shin chan - Mainly referring to the OP. Considering Shinosuke's familliarity with the word 'dame', I'd say this song fits the series pretty nicely.
Tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 01:58   Link #3
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Witch Hunter Robin - the OP and ED really reflected all that Robin was going through. They also had a dramatic and emotional quality that totally related to the general tone of the anime. Plus the anime was just plain awesome
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 02:19   Link #4
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Last Exile - The OP has a retro feeling and flying on a strange land, just watching the OP you get to feel the background of Last Exile without being told the story. The ED very fitting too, the song is about a person who is in love with the sky, the animation with Claus and Lavie grow up and the Vanship model, very nicely done. Both the OP and ED were really well designed, you can just tell how much love is put into this anime.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 09:34   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Narutaru - Okay, okay. I'm just listing this in here because it's actually one of the LEAST appropriate intros I've ever seen in an anime.

Piano - The intro sets up the pace of the anime by offering us a slow piano piece. Also, it shows Miyu walking around a lot and a pianos all over the place. The ending theme, Kokoro no Oto, isn't quite as fitting because it's a vocal piece. On the other hand, it DOES show a piano the whole time.

Revolutionary Girl Utena - The opening was extremely weird, which was exactly how I felt after watching this show.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 14:50   Link #6
Suikun

(Vision of) Escaflowne
The opening song "I don't need a Promise" by Maaya Sakamoto fits the theme of Escaflowne perfectly with the feelings Hitomi (eventually) comes to feel for Lord Van; moreover, the elegant sound it takes as opposed to a "JPop" sound really sets the stage for a grand story of epic proportions... which is precisely what Escaflowne is. At the same time, the ending song, "Mystic Eyes", by Hiroki Wada, does carry a Jpop-ish sound with it, but some how fits well after as a nice companion to the cliff-hanger nearly every episode of Escaflowne ends on. Either way, both songs fit the series in the places they're at perfectly. This, coupled with Yoko Kanno's amazing background music, makes Escaflowne musically one of my favorite anime series.

Cowboy Bebop
I may not like Cowboy Bebop much at all, but I'll be damned if I can't admit that Tank! does an excellent job of setting the whole jazzy-western theme up.

Excel Saga
Again, not a huge fan of the show itself (although I'm sure some it has to do with the fact that all I've seen is ADV's obnoxious English dub) but a zany, often random comedy deserves and equally off-the-wall opening song (and ending song, as well)... and Excel Saga's opening and ending themes don't fail to deliver there!

Gasaraki
Message #9 creepily captures the religous and political complications found in this show pretty dog-gone well... and the way it uses the "dust to dust, ashes to ashes" lyrics for the main chorus is great... very fitting...

Naruto
I try my best to avoid using Naruto in any of my threads as an example of anything only because I know the thread will eventually become filled with "Naruto this" and "Naruto that" without my provoking it, but this is an exception - the first ending song... the name of which I can't remember... err... anyway, the one with the butterflies - both the ending song itself and the animation to accompany it so captures Naruto's feelings of isolation from everyone around him and his need for acknowledgement, as well as how hard he has to try in life... or, at least, that's what I got out of the Engrish, anyway...
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 16:25   Link #7
Innotech

Excel saga definitely, and Cowboy bebop are both very well done. Id also add Ai yori aoshi. The theme towa no hana is as beautiful as the anime is (well most of the time until the fanservice parts) Sakura Saku fits the Love hina show very well too.
Innotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 16:35   Link #8
Sethi
StormRider

Tsukihime - This one is excellent for this anime what else for a romance, vampire anime than that style of songs.

Cowboy Bebop - Especially the OP truly perfect for the space cowboy.

Last Exile - Both OP/ED are truly well done, the themes of both are perfect for a anime such as Last Exile.
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 13:07   Link #9
dojoo
Japanese Translator???

2nd opening to Full Metal Alchemist
- I thought the pace and lyrics matched the feeling of the Anime

Sakura Taisen
- well.... it is the theme song of the Flower Division

Dojoo
dojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 15:44   Link #10
TronDD
Team the box!

Most fitting OP goes to Gunslinger Girl. Either the song was based on the show or the show was based on the song. They are a perfect match.

Most fitting Ed would go to Wolf's Rain. In this case, the song was probably written for the show so it's a perfect match, too.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 03:13   Link #11
Kouji
StrykerX

Gundam SEED's OP/ED

Moment
- this would be fitting for mostly episodes in this arc of the anime

Find the Way [ED]
- For one thing, Kira's trying to search for peace in the midst of war (by ending it with his teammates)

Prince of Tennis

Walk On - OP
This'd go perfect cuz the song tells that to leave your sorrows behind and walk on to a brighter tomorrow

White Line
Due to Seigaku's glory days in winning a series of tough matches.
Old 2004-04-27, 14:31   Link #12
cheez
duh?

Send a message via ICQ to cheez Send a message via AIM to cheez
Last Exile would definitely win the prize as far as I'm concerned, both for OP and ED. The OP especially fits so perfectly with the anime -- I absolutely never got tired of watching the intro. It has such an entrancing, dreamy feel to it, and it gives a better impression of the anime overall than any intro I've ever seen.

Second choice, most likely, would be RahXephon. Hemisphere fits the storyline perfectly and puts into music what we know Ayato is feeling throughout the series.

I also agree with the nomination of Witch Hunter Robin. The OP sets the mood quite well. Not so sure about the ED, though. It seem a little too... hmmm, how to describe... absent-minded.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 15:00   Link #13
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Bakuretsu Tenshi
I just love the beginning tamtatamtatam japan (or tapping depends on the fansub and i'm not sure eather)
plus it's a really cool song for a really cool series
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 18:58   Link #14
TronDD
Team the box!

Another fitting ED, both song and video, is Midori no Hibi. It's such a pretty song and a touching scene.

And back to Gunslinger Girl, you don't get more appropriate than this:

Before we let euphoria
Convince us we are free
Remind us how we used to feel
Before when life was real

And when I feel like I can feel once again
Let me stay awhile
Soak it in awhile
If we can hold on we can fix what is wrong
Buy a little time
For this head of mine
Haven for us

Interestingly, that verse isn't in the series OP.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 04:43   Link #15
Kouji
StrykerX

Fullmetal Alchemist
- Ready Steady Go & Melissa basically tell how it is. And the tempo of the music as well.
Old 2004-04-28, 06:34   Link #16
Sylvanthious

I don't really pay attention too much, but the second opening for HunterxHunter really caught my ear and I think it really fits with what was happening in the series at that time. I guess I'm partially influenced by the opening sequence which I thought was really well done as well.
Sylvanthious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 09:30   Link #17
wao
OK.

Listing some off the top of my head...

GSG OP - The Light Before We Land (Whoa... that was... just beautiful)

Sakura Taisen (Hey, it is the group song and it IS very well done, a mix of eastern and western influences with a very great dramatic tune and all... And the ED is also very fitting! It sounds like those old but nice CHinese songs... and it's actually a very nice song when you hum it on a nice day. Really, really nice.)

Rurouni Kenshin ED # somethingortheother - Heart of Sword (Have you ever seen the lyrics? THe lyrics are so fitting they're perfect. And it sounds so great.)

Strange Dawn OP - Sora E (This is a really nice song that' different from the usual JPop.... and it's very fitting! The same fantasy kind of theme and celticish and all. And even though I can't stand the way they sing hte ED because it has a nice tune but baaaad voices, the ED is quite fitting too. It gives you the sense of coming back home... and just like the main characters want to return home...)

Violinist of Hameln ED #1 - Wings Full of Wounds (You would understand the importance of wings and wounds if you watched the anime. And it's a really fititng song, I think it fits Hamel very very well.)

Boukyaku no Senritsu OP - what the hell was it, I forgot (I love this OP. Okay, this was just a plug entry... It fits okayish, it sounds very musical and all and is relevant to the show... but yeah...)

Twin Spica OP - Venus Say (The edited version of a longer original, Kujira. Venus Say is just a short part of Kujira with completely different lyrics, but beat and instrumentation and melody etc. the same... It's very relevant too. Not only does it fit the mood, it also has very relevant lyrics. About the person's struggle and travel and the moon and all...)

too tired to write more.
Old 2004-05-02, 01:07   Link #18
Shihbang
Elite Fireball

Send a message via AIM to Shihbang
Scarlet - Ayashi no Ceres OP
It's a beautiful song, and fits the sad premise of the show.

Sore ga, Ai Deshou - Full Metal Panic Fumoffu OP
Full of hope and energy, and sweet and catchy. Based on the scenes in the intro, it seems to be about Chidori - fits perfectly.

Sayonara - Saishuu Heiki Kanojo ED
Sad to the max.

Over the Sky - Last Exile ED
Very unique and a bit mysterious...just like the show...which was a bit confusing, but still pretty good...

Sakura Saku - Love Hina OP
What the heck? Just like the show...random and hilarious.

Adesso E Fortuna / Fantasia of the Wind - Record of Lodoss War OP/ED
Both have a very fantasy-ish feel - the opening has a kind of nostalgic adventuring feel, and the ending song is tender but with the spunk that is a big part of the awesome character that is Deedlit.
Shihbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 02:17   Link #19
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Saikano OP and ED
this series was mega depressing, all the depressing moments followed by an incredibly depressing ED...brought me the closest to crying i've ever come in my history of watching anime
Naruto: for god's sake this show has so many OPs and EDs, at least 2 of them fit the show (even if the only reason to show a new OP or ED is due to a change in the series' mood/arc)

Outlaw Star OP/ED
the OP reflected the awesomeness level, and the EDs reflected the other side to the story

Azumanga Daioh OP/ED
it's...trippy

Bottle Fairy
listening to this song ONCE will scar you for life...just like the series...in a GOOD way!
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 10:34   Link #20
Windpaths
Mirror Alchemist

Full Metal Alchemist

OP1 and ED 1 match the animation so well, not only the lyrics, but also the sort of rythm...
I have to say ED2 is the best one.

PS: For Wolf's Rain, I think the ED for Episode 26 is just charming... Tell me what the rain knows... It is short, but it is better than Gravity for me.

Windpaths is offline   Reply With Quote