AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2015-04-17, 20:00   Link #3681
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

120 million yen earning from royalty in three years huh. Is that considered pretty succesful sales wise or standard earning for light novel author?
Old 2015-04-22, 15:18   Link #3682
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Has anyone read the official translations? I've been thinking of getting them but I'm not entirely sure about it.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 19:03   Link #3683
DQueenie13

I heard they're somewhat iffy, particularly in romanizations.

In the manga, Nyanta's 'you's are changed to 'mew's. Londark --> Londarg (manga) or Rondarg (LN). And for both, Thorn Bind Hostage was turned into Sewn Bind Hostage. No idea why. You literally see thorns in the manga, and Shiroe describes the spell in the light novel. Demikas is Demiquas, but that's more consistent with the light novel (in which volume 7 revealed it to be Demiq-something).
Old 2015-04-22, 19:13   Link #3684
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
I heard they're somewhat iffy, particularly in romanizations.

In the manga, Nyanta's 'you's are changed to 'mew's. Londark --> Londarg (manga) or Rondarg (LN). And for both, Thorn Bind Hostage was turned into Sewn Bind Hostage. No idea why. You literally see thorns in the manga, and Shiroe describes the spell in the light novel. Demikas is Demiquas, but that's more consistent with the light novel (in which volume 7 revealed it to be Demiq-something).
it is me or is the fan translation better then the official translation? It i snot just LH but other LN as well. Seems like Yen press forgot who their main customers are.
Old 2015-04-22, 19:25   Link #3685
RDNexus

Maybe they have regular translators who may have small knowledge about Anime and etc, hence the lack of possible intent in fairer translations.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 22:25   Link #3686
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is me or is the fan translation better then the official translation? It i snot just LH but other LN as well. Seems like Yen press forgot who their main customers are.
Maybe the fan translator got paid more XD

Although names aside, I don't know how much better/worse the translation is compared to the fan ones, and only those who speak Japanese would be able to tell which one is more accurate.

That said, the fan translations of the light novel, aside from volume 5, were from Chinese to English rather than Japanese to English, so I'm not sure if anything's been lost in translation.

I think volume 8's fan translation is from Japanese to English, as is the volume 9 web novel translation.
Old 2015-04-25, 09:02   Link #3687
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

New chapter up, hurrah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
120 million yen earning from royalty in three years huh. Is that considered pretty succesful sales wise or standard earning for light novel author?
That's about 1 million USD in 3 years, so yes, it's pretty successful. You don't believe majority of writers make 300k income do you?
Most definitely in the 1% tier of LN, although he doesn't come close to touching the true top 10s.
Old 2015-04-25, 19:32   Link #3688
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Bet his imouto had a good laugh at her brother's expense. Hire an accountant, Mamare!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 14:27   Link #3689
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

New chapter up, hurrah!

That's about 1 million USD in 3 years, so yes, it's pretty successful. You don't believe majority of writers make 300k income do you?
Most definitely in the 1% tier of LN, although he doesn't come close to touching the true top 10s.

Little question, who is the best selling LN author at the moment ?
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 15:08   Link #3690
RDNexus

If I'm not remembering wrong, Index, Mahouka & SAO have been in the top sales rankings for quite a while, right?
Old 2015-04-27, 06:29   Link #3691
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
Little question, who is the best selling LN author at the moment ?
If you're talking about of all time, no one comes even close to touching Kaoru Kurimoto's Guin Saga due to sheer volumes published.
Hajime Kanzaka's Slayers is very successful as well.

As for currently active novelists, Kazuma Kamachi's Toaru series ranks at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
If I'm not remembering wrong, Index, Mahouka & SAO have been in the top sales rankings for quite a while, right?
SAO is very high up there, but not quite Toaru level.
Mahouka is the 2nd most popular web novel based LN, far more popular than Log Horizon, but not quite at the level of the novels mentioned above.
Old 2015-04-28, 02:59   Link #3692
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Thanks for the infos
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-29, 18:42   Link #3693
DQueenie13

From what I gathered from a quick glance at the new chapter, it's just covering the beginning of the Shibuya Raid. Any differences from the anime?
Old 2015-04-30, 07:57   Link #3694
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
From what I gathered from a quick glance at the new chapter, it's just covering the beginning of the Shibuya Raid. Any differences from the anime?
Wait, so the anime got ahead from the light novel? If that's so, I wanna see the difference...
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-30, 08:06   Link #3695
RDNexus

I've been forgetting to ask this... How did the adaption fare in both seasons?
Was it faithful to the letter? If not, has there been any significant amout of cuts here and there?
Old 2015-04-30, 08:23   Link #3696
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Wait, so the anime got ahead from the light novel? If that's so, I wanna see the difference...
Basically anything after the episode in which Roe2 leaves and the kids return to Akiba is ahead of the light novel. We had a teaser for volume 10 posted a little bit before the anime adapted volume 10, but otherwise the anime was ahead.

Of course, it's ahead for us. Mamare already had it planned out, without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
I've been forgetting to ask this... How did the adaption fare in both seasons?
Was it faithful to the letter? If not, has there been any significant amout of cuts here and there?
Isn't this around the third time you've asked this, or was that someone else?

The biggest change, I'd say, is cutting out how Nureha took over Minami. Still kinda salty that episode 13 was filler, that episode title was perfect for her flashback

Then there was the *interesting* decision for episode 14. I didn't mind it that much, since I know the LN spoilers, but anyone who didn't know them would've been rather confused. I've seen a number of anime-only watchers who had no trouble following it, though, so I guess it's from person-to-person.

Early on in the season, I think episode 7, was basically an adaption expansion based on Akatsuki's thoughts during the Akiba raid.
Old 2015-04-30, 08:27   Link #3697
RDNexus

Quote:
Isn't this around the third time you've asked this, or was that someone else?
If it was actually me, then I'm sorry for that, I tend to forget...
Old 2015-05-01, 21:14   Link #3698
DQueenie13

The S2 settings book lists Isuzu's birthday as October 17 and Rudy's birthday as November 11. I thought the whole point behind the name "Birthday Song" for her Overskill was that it was basically a birthday present for Isuzu, though.
Old 2015-05-02, 09:40   Link #3699
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
The S2 settings book lists Isuzu's birthday as October 17 and Rudy's birthday as November 11. I thought the whole point behind the name "Birthday Song" for her Overskill was that it was basically a birthday present for Isuzu, though.
IIRC it was her gift to the world, like a birthday blessing of sorts =3

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 17:36   Link #3700
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Now that I'm almost done with Bloodborne, I'm slowly catching up with the Anime.

LOL @ Log Horizon 2 also have beckoning aliens from the moon
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers