AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-03, 16:44   Link #2581
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by klowny View Post
Question:
how can an airplane fly? or a helicopter?
Easy, pixies sprinkle magic fairy dust on the plane...

The wings of an airplane and the blades of a helicopter are designed to create high pressure under the wings/blades and lower pressure above the wings/blades. Like what Vexx said.

That isn't all of it though. The wings/blades are also adjusted to an angle so that the air particles will bounce off the bottom of the wing angled slightly downwards to push the plane up. Conservation of momentum and all that jazz.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 16:51   Link #2582
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Without the correct design a sports car to can achieve take off but flight is not possible .

Planes get a lift off due to air pressure generated under wings due to forward motion . Helicopter on the other hand achieves this thrust with spinning of blades pushing air downwards
Old 2009-03-03, 16:54   Link #2583
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Okay here's a forum technical question rather than a silly question

I know we can add a link to our signatures, but is it possible to add multiple links to it? The only current way for me to do this at the moment is to add 3 different images and add a separate link to each of them.

ps: I don't wish to add it to the texts

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 16:57   Link #2584
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Okay here's a forum technical question rather than a silly question

I know we can add a link to our signatures, but is it possible to add multiple links to it? The only current way for me to do this at the moment is to add 3 different images and add a separate link to each of them.

ps: I don't wish to add it to the texts
To my knowledge bbcode doesn't support image maps so slicing it is the only way to do it.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 17:10   Link #2585
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Since I wish to add links to some of the activities I do and advertise them

Such as the Artist Alike Contest thingy and yours too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2009-03-03, 17:35   Link #2586
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Adding links to a forum signature image is bad, 1) there is no way to tell where the link is 2) what the link is suppose to do. If you simply wish for non-blue text you simply need to add color code inside the [url] bbcode.
Code:
[url="www.google.com"][COLOR="Black"]Google[/COLOR][/url]
Google
Old 2009-03-04, 22:18   Link #2587
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
Adding links to a forum signature image is bad
Why? Each image in my signature is linked to a page at Wikipedia. I don't really see what's wrong with that. If you hover over the images and look at the browser's status bar, it tells you exactly where you'd go, and in my case, it tells you the name of each linked show as well. I don't wave any flags that say, "mouse over these images to see where they lead," but I thought some folks might stumble upon the links as they moved the mouse around.

I'm also not sure I understand Aoie_Emesai's question exactly either, but if you're asking about the equivalent of an HTML image map with different active areas, as far as I know escimo is right, you can't define maps in bbcode.

That was my first idea when I wanted to have a signature composed of multiple images with links. I then tried putting the images in table cells, but there's no way to set the cell padding and spacing values to zero. Instead, at xris's suggestion I recall, I tried simply concatenating the images, making sure there's no extra space between them like this:

[url="image link_url"][IMG]image_url[/IMG][/url][url="next_image_link_url"][IMG]next_image_url[/IMG][/url]

Rinse and repeat.

In the case of a single signature image, you'd have to divide the image into pieces then use the technique above to reassemble the image with links to the various locations.

Perhaps this discussion should migrate over to the Feedback forum if it goes on much longer?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 03:22   Link #2588
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You do not have images in your signature. But, if you have to look at the statusbar to know what it does it classifies as a hidden link; what's the point of the images being the links in that case.
Old 2009-03-06, 06:41   Link #2589
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question: What do you call those phrases that have two words of opposite meanings?
For example: "pretty ugly" and "serious joke"

Thank~
Old 2009-03-06, 08:22   Link #2590
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question: What do you call those phrases that have two words of opposite meanings?
For example: "pretty ugly" and "serious joke"
The term is Oxymoron.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 13:15   Link #2591
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

If they are not really in context you could also call them antonyms (but only refering to the words not the phrase).
Old 2009-03-07, 16:01   Link #2592
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Need help, didn't know where to post this.

I used a currency converter to convert from:
60690 JPY -> 436.319175 GBP

thats a big number.. I dont understand it, so simply how much is it?

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 16:15   Link #2593
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^

It means 60690 yen is worth £436.32
Which is FFFFFFF expensive for us brits now...gone were the days where it was £1 --> 250 yen conversion ;____;

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 21:31   Link #2594
Nosauz

well just to give you and idea, 500 yen is a tanbokan, 1000yen would be a typical meal at mcdidies
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 03:42   Link #2595
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
^

It means 60690 yen is worth £436.32
Which is FFFFFFF expensive for us brits now...gone were the days where it was £1 --> 250 yen conversion ;____;

How expensive... I better get saving

thanks for your help!

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 07:35   Link #2596
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
1000yen would be a typical meal at mcdidies
The Economist's Big Mac Index uses the price of that sandwich in different countries to calculate discrepancies between exchange rates and "purchasing power parity." People in places like Indonesia and Malaysia are getting a relative bargain, while the Danes must pay through the nose.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 22:32   Link #2597
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Economist's Big Mac Index uses the price of that sandwich in different countries to calculate discrepancies between exchange rates and "purchasing power parity." People in places like Indonesia and Malaysia are getting a relative bargain, while the Danes must pay through the nose.
It's like eating at Five Guys or DQ. Five Guys are about 8$ for a meal, and DQ is about 6.5$.

Mickiedi is relatively cheap in comparison to other fast food. Of course i'm using the prices in my area.

McDonald Big mac Meal - almost 5$
BK Double Whopper meal - 5.5$
DQ Flamethrower meal - 6.5$ ( Oh god you'll love the sauce ^^)
Sonic Super - 6.5$

As in comparison, the big mac on average is small as i'm sure anyone who has had any of these burger can tell.

Old 2009-03-09, 18:24   Link #2598
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

This is really silly but... I'm having problems with the word "you".

In all other languages I speak when you are talking to a person you're supposed to respect (much older, higher position etc.) you don't adress them with a "you". You could cuss at a person all you want but calling them "you" is just taking it to a whole another level. It's just way beyond impoliteness. Even when I'm speaking English, I just can't do it. It's just wrong.

So how weird would it be, if when talking to a person I'm supposed to respect I would refer to them by their name. As in "Can Mr. Smith </insert action here>" instead of "Can you </insert action here>". I've never heard anyone talk like that in English, but then again, I don't exactly live in an English-speaking country, so I'm wondering... just how weird would it be?
Old 2009-03-09, 18:38   Link #2599
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFANTgirl View Post

In all other languages I speak when you are talking to a person you're supposed to respect (much older, higher position etc.) you don't adress them with a "you". You could cuss at a person all you want but calling them "you" is just taking it to a whole another level. It's just way beyond impoliteness. Even when I'm speaking English, I just can't do it. It's just wrong.

So how weird would it be, if when talking to a person I'm supposed to respect I would refer to them by their name. As in "Can Mr. Smith </insert action here>" instead of "Can you </insert action here>". I've never heard anyone talk like that in English, but then again, I don't exactly live in an English-speaking country, so I'm wondering... just how weird would it be?
It would sound very weird to address someone in the third person in English. Not impolite or anything, just grammatically weird, like you're not actually speaking English. They might ask you to repeat the question or something.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 18:57   Link #2600
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFANTgirl View Post

In Finnish the polite form for addressing someone is the plural form of a word translating into "you" and I have an impression that's the case in some other languages as well. Naturally this doesn't translate into English since the singular and plural forms are the same. Have never heard third person used when talking directly to the person in question. And would think that it would sound a bit awkward. As a non native English speaker I stick to using you and honorifics such as sir and ma'am if I wish to be on the safe side.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious