AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-27, 18:02   Link #1
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Question from a non-watcher

Just wondering, since this series got its own forum, and that means it's pretty popular... what is it that you guys like about the series? What parts of it make you keep watching?

Thanks! I would simply like to know because I might want to try and DL it for myself
Old 2004-03-27, 18:08   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The characters mostly. I really love all of the characters in this show and the ways that they interact together.

That is particularly important with MariMite because there are so MANY characters. You might want to take a look at the thread Help on Mariasama ga Miteru and leave it open when you watch the first episode in order to help sort out who is who. It is amazing and very rare, that with so many characters I really love them all.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-27, 19:20   Link #3
aniforever

hmm other then loving mostly all of the characters *cough*sei-sama daisuki*cough* i think i only started to watch it b/c of the scent of yuri.
Old 2004-03-27, 21:23   Link #4
pkgirl163

Send a message via AIM to pkgirl163 Send a message via MSN to pkgirl163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
Just wondering, since this series got its own forum, and that means it's pretty popular... what is it that you guys like about the series? What parts of it make you keep watching?

Thanks! I would simply like to know because I might want to try and DL it for myself
I like the feel of the show... kinda like an old-school shoujo style (does this bring to mind Yoshiya Nobuko for anyone else, or just me? ), girls' academy (Oniisama e... ), etc.
I also really like all the characters. They're great, as others have said.
The biggest complaint I have about this show is the animation--some episodes are better than others. :/
Old 2004-03-27, 22:03   Link #5
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgirl163
The biggest complaint I have about this show is the animation--some episodes are better than others. :/
On many scenes, the only things that animate are their lips. Everything else is static
Old 2004-03-27, 22:20   Link #6
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
The plot is what sucked me. All their relationships and how they are slowly tangling/untangling them just leaves me giddy for more. Besides I just love the main character in case you didn't notice.........
Old 2004-03-27, 23:12   Link #7
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Three words: too much French. Though I plan on watching a few more episodes, the first episode was just a total overload for me. Two languages in one show is enough, no need to put in a third.
Old 2004-03-28, 00:10   Link #8
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Because I loved the novel.
Old 2004-03-28, 04:52   Link #9
Göönk
Macross fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Three words: too much French. Though I plan on watching a few more episodes, the first episode was just a total overload for me. Two languages in one show is enough, no need to put in a third.
are you joking? the only french word used is "soeur". Maybe they use "Rosaire" too but I don't know if Japanese Catholics don't use it too. So, it would be a Japanese word, somehow.

Anyway, it's subtitled in english. You don't have to understand those two words.

Repeat after me : Soeur = Sister = One-sama

ah, yeah, "En bouton". Just translate it by "Rosa x 's little sister".

Rosa is latin, so you can say they use 4 languages.
Old 2004-03-28, 12:42   Link #10
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Göönk
ah, yeah, "En bouton". Just translate it by "Rosa x 's little sister".
As far as I can tell, there's "Rosa X", then there's "Rosa X en bouton", and then there's "Rosa X en bouton petite soeur". I was mightily confused for a while there.

In the end, I did some mental association: "Rosa X" is the Original (so to speak), "Rosa X en bouton" is the understudy, and "petite soeur" is "little sister" no matter what. So "Rosa X en bouton petite soeur" turns into "little sister of the understudy of Rosa X".

I still get confused.
Old 2004-03-28, 14:35   Link #11
Göönk
Macross fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis
In the end, I did some mental association: "Rosa X" is the Original (so to speak), "Rosa X en bouton" is the understudy, and "petite soeur" is "little sister" no matter what. So "Rosa X en bouton petite soeur" turns into "little sister of the understudy of Rosa X".
yes that's it.

Petite soeur means little sister
en bouton means in bud (plants therm).

That's pretty easy to remember I think. The confusing thing is the Rosa stuff. rosa canina, Rosa Foetida etc.. hard to remember every thing I admit. This series is the only one that requires a sheet of paper with the names written on it. (I speak for myself here)
Old 2004-03-28, 15:30   Link #12
laurore31

I like this series for its many characters and their relations. It's a new series which doesn't look like the others ! the chara design is original. (but in two or three episodes, this chara design is not regular ! i'm disappointed). it doesn't matter but I think it's annoying.

on the other hand, the story is really interesting and the environment of these girls is drawn in a perfect way. all the characters are different.
I think we must like the shojo style to like this series. but if you want to see a new shojo with a new design, new story, new love between characters, you must see it ! ;-)

you should see the first episode and then you will have an idea ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Göönk
Maybe they use "Rosaire" too but I don't know if Japanese Catholics don't use it too.
no,
in the (only french maybe) catholic religion, we recite a "chapelet" but for people who to pray more, they recite 3 "chapelets". and these 3 "chapelets" are called a rosary! but of English into French (as for Japanese), a rosary is a chapelet.

the french word "rosaire" is not translated by "rosary" in english.

sorry but I cannot translated "chapelet" : Sachiko gave a rosary to Yumi. this rosary is a "chapelet" in french.

Imagine 3 "chapelets" around the neck! lollll it is not possible! it would touch the ground lollll

really really sorry for my english, but i'm out of time to write it...
Old 2004-03-29, 07:57   Link #13
pkgirl163

Send a message via AIM to pkgirl163 Send a message via MSN to pkgirl163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Because I loved the novel.
What first led you to read the novels? And what do you like best about them (if it's possible to choose only a few things ^^)?
Old 2004-03-29, 14:07   Link #14
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgirl163
What first led you to read the novels? And what do you like best about them (if it's possible to choose only a few things ^^)?
I said it on a different forum, but last year, there were rumors about "Marimite" being animated. By Winter Comic Market 2003, there were lots of people buying "Marimite" doujinshis and doujin games. As I read through some of the sample doujinshis, the story really intrigued me into "Marimite" world.

I bought several of them, and to understand the story more, I rushed over to the nearest Animate, K-Books, and Gamers store to get my hands on the entire 16 volumes of the novels the same day.

Some of my favorite novels are in no order of preference:
1. "Ibara no Mori"
2. "Rainy Blue"
3. "Parasol o Sashite"

I guess what pulled me in was the idea of the "sœur system" and the beautiful female relationship between the sœurs was something that was pure and clear; something that male readers [stereotypically] see as real-life high-school girls to be lacking nowadays.

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-03-29 at 14:46.
Old 2004-03-29, 14:14   Link #15
Göönk
Macross fan

it's sœur
with "e in o" letter
hard to type right?
Old 2004-03-29, 21:48   Link #16
Honkie_McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I guess what pulled me in was the idea of the "sœur system" and the beautiful female relationship between the sœurs was something that was pure and clear; something that male readers [stereotypically] see as real-life high-school girls to be lacking nowadays.
I honestly don't even remember why I started downloading Mari-Mite, but the above pretty much sums up why I've stuck with this series. My problem with, not only cartoons, but most TV shows in a school setting here in the States is that there will invariably be a couple of female characters who's demeanor is somewhere between brat and daughter of Satan. Characters are genuinely nicer to each other I think that's why I've been watching/reading more shojo anime/manga. I'm able to maintain a much better opinion of people in general if I'm not watching/reading about characters who are constantly backstabbing each other.*

*The preceding represents the opinion of the author. I just hope I wasn't generalizing too much.

PS. So how do you type that e in o letter on a regular keyboard?
Old 2004-03-30, 03:51   Link #17
OkitaSoshiX

Personally I watched the first episode and i personally don't like the "God" this and french that...I was wondering if I should even take up more harddrive space if all it's going to talk about is god...I get enough of that in real life. (Being a non-Christian based religion in a Morman/catholic dominated town). I mean i love the characters and stuff...but the Virgin mary thing is bugging me, My ideal anime always has this Savvy guy That keeps his cool and acts like he knows exactly what's going to happen next...or even just some sort of guy.
Old 2004-04-01, 22:26   Link #18
MercuryKnight

Send a message via MSN to MercuryKnight
I really like the character interaction in the stories, it seems to me that a lot of thought went into it.
Old 2004-04-02, 08:30   Link #19
wao
OK.

trust me, OkitaSoushiX, you will probably hate this anime because it features on interesting, pure, clear (and yet not clear) relationships between girls, no guys at all. Pity if you're the kind of guy who cares only about masculine "coolness"...
Old 2004-04-03, 09:45   Link #20
BonBon
Rabu-rabu-zura?

Yumi!

When A-Keep announced Maria-Sama as a project, I thought it sounded boring, austere and didn't really like the artwork on Sachiko, because I thought her nose was too pointed! But then I watched the preview and saw just how cute Yumi-chan is, and just had to watch the series. It took less than ten minutes to get me hooked!

--------------------------------------
Rockin' drum kid: http://www.geocities.com/fishcakefish/Drums.zip
Closed Thread