AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 23.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 20.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 19.40%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.99%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-14, 02:04   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Eden of the East - Episode 6 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Eden of the East, Episode 6.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-05-14, 04:01   Link #2
hamstar
just passing by

first.

I'm not so sure we will see what happens to Oosugi in this one.

Anyone know what channel this show is on?

Last edited by hamstar; 2009-05-14 at 07:58.
Old 2009-05-14, 10:42   Link #3
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
first.

I'm not so sure we will see what happens to Oosugi in this one.

Anyone know what channel this show is on?
You posted just to be "first" even though the show hasn't started? xD
To each their own i guess.
For Tokyo area it's on Fuji TV (ch 8)
A detailed list is on the juiz website if you wanna see more...

Edit:
7/10 from me this week.
The scooby gang meet up with Akira and we hear the details of the Eden of the East club in a similar format to ep 4 (hearing the rules of the game set by Mr Outside)
It's another informative episode, which I guess they're alternating the fun action stuff, with the padding for the plot and story per episode.
(I swear I need to check the website before it airs cause it's crashed again, lol)
Until then, I sense next week will be a bit more energetic, so it'll probably be a mixed bag of responses from fans this week

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-05-14 at 11:15.
Old 2009-05-14, 15:41   Link #4
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Next week will probably be about
Spoiler:

I agree about this weeks episode. Informative episode.
Old 2009-05-14, 17:25   Link #5
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The episode gave us a crash course in the members of the Higashi no Eden club, and in the nature of the club itself. I liked seeing those shelves of used appliances ready to be bought cheap. I understand that in Japan, you can often pick up perfectly usable appliances from the garbage, since people throw them out when they get something new.

And there was some quiet but intense drama with Oosugi at the beginning and partway through. I was mistaken about Diana's target. I do hope he escapes, but that would be the less interesting possibility, actually. There is still lots of room for Saki to feel guilty, though. Is my recollection true that only Saki and Oosugi get those circular blushes in their cheeks?

And we set up the next movements of the plot, both as far as Oosugi and Diana are concerned and with the "NEET paradise."

"Fun action stuff" versus "padding for the plot and story" is not how I see this show -- or any show, really. "Action" is often boring for me. Characters and especially romance are more interesting. More indication of what a wide net this show is casting.

If this week lacked anything for me, it was romantic development. Although I was weirdly impressed that Saki ended up staying at her friend's place rather than Akira's. His giving her those clothes -- and us seeing her wearing them -- was as far as the romance went this week, lol.

We saw Saki dressed in something a trifle (just a trifle) more revealing, as befits her role as the club's "kanban musume" (pretty girl who stands out in front of a shop to lure in customers).

I liked the little jokes as the mobile phone identified people and objects: Saki as the club's "mascot character," and Onee of "indeterminate age, indeterminate origin" and "indeterminate educational status." I wonder if her mysteries will come into play. Both Onee and Hirasawa seem to be interesting characters. To say nothing of "not Mit-tan."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-14, 18:42   Link #6
Lostdreams

I'm still shocked that this is gonna finish in 11 episodes.
Old 2009-05-14, 22:41   Link #7
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
I'm still shocked that this is gonna finish in 11 episodes.
It's not.
It'll finish with the movie.
Just think FMA - they wrapped it up with the movie after the TV series was done and considering that a movie typically is what... 90-120 mins on average and an ep = 25mins

That's at least an additional... 4 eps worth of material.
So no need to fret ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-05-15, 00:38   Link #8
suka-pon-tan

Wow wow...20000 men get hunted Johnny? with ciger cutter? lol That`s insane.
Old 2009-05-15, 01:06   Link #9
Kazu-kun

So, it seems not even Micchon (or should I say Mit-tan ) can resist Akira's charms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Is my recollection true that only Saki and Oosugi get those circular blushes in their cheeks?
Micchon gets those too some times.
Quote:
If this week lacked anything for me, it was romantic development. Although I was weirdly impressed that Saki ended up staying at her friend's place rather than Akira's. His giving her those clothes -- and us seeing her wearing them -- was as far as the romance went this week, lol.
Ah, but I'm sure you noticed that Saki was staring fondly at Akira all the time in the mall. Saki's getting there, if you know what I mean. ^^
Quote:
We saw Saki dressed in something a trifle (just a trifle) more revealing, as befits her role as the club's "kanban musume" (pretty girl who stands out in front of a shop to lure in customers).
Isn't that just some clothes borrowed from Micchon? That's why it doesn't fit her, I think.
Old 2009-05-15, 02:08   Link #10
Tale

I think a part of Akira's smoothness comes from his receptivity as Kasuga pointed out. He is capable of accepting quite a range of people, which is why I thought it was quite unlikely that he was responsible to killing NEETs even before his memory loss. Akira immediately saw Hirasawa's motive is to help the others and that, at the same time, he is proud. So, he told Hirasawa that it was he who is asking for help.

Again, Akira reminds me of Kuze from Ghost in the Shell:Solid State Society, who tries to accept people thrown from social systems since he wants to be accepted, which could be a sympathizable motive to the NEETs or more widely, younger generation who feel they are minority in Japanese society. For the NEETs are considered as the outsiders of Japanese society for various reasons and, in this work, Kamiyama seems to be using the factor as a "detonator" to the rigid society. Also, the bunch of characters in Eden club are at the entrance of society, using their familiar toy/tool called the net, which they are comfortable to use compared with older generations, who are dominant in the society. In fact, this work also utilizes the net to lower the boundary of the reality and the work. I think this is an interesting experiment.

Anime is normally considered as escapism and I'm happy to see this kind of work, which is trying to tackle with real problems or to give the audiences courage/food for thought to tackle with their problems.

Last edited by Tale; 2009-05-15 at 02:22.
Old 2009-05-15, 10:35   Link #11
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Good points from Tale. I'd also say that Akira has some inner impulse to help and comfort people -- especially women, it must be said. His naked offer of help at the White House. And the kiss was to comfort Saki, whatever else it was. And now he is bringing Micchan out of her shell.

We are now approaching the meat of the show. It has to succeed in presenting the "real problems" and the "food for thought" in ways that make sense and have value.

EDIT: As pointed out in a comment on the Random Curiosity blog, that may not be Oosugi in Diana's apartment: Oosugi was wearing a red tie, the guy in the chair has a blue one. So it's either a different person or there has been a continuity mix-up in the making of the episode. And as I understood it, the website the pics were on was not anything specific to the club or Oosugi.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-05-15 at 10:51.
Old 2009-05-15, 11:21   Link #12
~BC~

The guy she killed in episode 5 was naked which most likely wasn't the way she originally came across him. Is it really so hard to believe that she may have simply changed his tie for some personal fetish related reason. The other guy in the alley was probably placed there to later be used as an eyewitness. Not to mention the deliberate focus on his bag in both episodes.
Old 2009-05-15, 17:09   Link #13
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
...I'm rating this episode as below average. I saw the episode title and thought that there'd... be more to the episode than that. But most of it seemed like comedy that was just lost on me.

I've already rewatched bits of the show, as I'm prone to do... Most of it just didn't make sense to me the first time around, but... Some of the stuff just seemed silly to me.

This show needs to clarify it's use of the word "Johnny." The Johnny Cutter at the end with... 20,000 victims? Come on, that's... That would be known about a lot more than it seems to be. And the guy sitting in the desk? That was just... random silliness. Takizawa on a giant teddy bear? Uh... I mean, the guy knows how to make an entrance, but... This episode just departed so much from the general tone of the show, which I feel is some mild comedy mixed with a lot of seriousness, that it felt out of place. It was missing almost everything I love about the show, and the exposition this show did go with felt... half-done. They didn't wanna reveal everything, so they reveal about half of it, it seems... but keep us in the dark for the rest of it. I felt that was unnecessary.

I get the feeling that I'm gonna like the next episode more. But, for now, this episode disappointed, and confused me. Oh, btw: anyone know what was being referenced with the blood circling 'round the drain?
Old 2009-05-15, 18:01   Link #14
Lostdreams

I just watched the subs and I really couldn't get some stuff. For example, why was the guy in glasses hiding in the whatever he was hiding in? What exactly does the Eden do? I forgot my other questions.
Old 2009-05-15, 18:01   Link #15
achirist

I really can't stand that disgusting blue-haired monster. I wish she had been gotten rid of in this episode; and that we knew about Ohsugi. I suppose whoever is tied up can't talk--but I know that where I live, even just dialing 911 without saying anything will bring the police...so it struck me as odd that he was only posting to the internet. But then I realized that the blue-haired scum could likely pay off the police, reporters, and anyone else with ease, so maybe the net is the last hope (if not, of course, some intervention by Akira in the next episode.)

Otherwise, I liked the episode, and find it interesting what Akira is doing for this group.
Old 2009-05-15, 18:16   Link #16
Kikuchi

Liked the episode.

But gawd, RIGHT before watching it, I saw the South Park episode about the "Chinese Invasion" and thus couldn't get off my mind Cartman bitching about Butters shooting people in the dick
Old 2009-05-15, 22:33   Link #17
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
Wow wow...20000 men get hunted Johnny? with ciger cutter? lol That`s insane.
I'm amazed by that number too
but 20,000 ?? IF she cut one Johny a night. That would take...........60 years, Isn't it ? lol
That's just impossible XD
Old 2009-05-15, 22:55   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If Wilt Chamberlain could do it...

This is starting to remind me of Death Note, in a way. All dressed up as a deep philosophical exercise, but at heart basically a well-executed snuff film fascinated with cool deux ex machina.
Old 2009-05-15, 22:58   Link #19
Kazu-kun

Now that I've watched it subbed and I could understand the details and such that I was missing, I think the episode was better than I thought.

Well, let's see what we've learned from episode 6.

1) Eden of the East is a recycle club. We see used appliances in the club room, but we don't know if that's all they work with.

2) Hirasawa seems to be the club pres, but he admits to be lacking on leadership skills, and it was Saki who was taking care of things in that respect (according to Onee).

3) It was also Saki who managed to find a way to use the image-recognition application created by Micchon in a way that was useful to the club activities.

4) That's why Hirasawa considers Saki to be a very valuable element, and wanted her to work with him on setting a company, which was the first step on his plan of creating a "paradise for NEETS".

5) Saki needed to work so she could leave her sister's place. That's probably why she refused to work with Hirasawa at first.

6) Hirasawa doesn't know why Saki is so intent on leaving her sister's place (we do know it's because of Ryousuke).

7) Now we know why the supporter hasn't taken care of Diana. Although she's serial killer, she does seem to have a project to "save Japan", and it has something to do with her company. Her night-time activities seem to be just a hobby she's doing on the side.

7) Mameshiba (Akira's dog) is as charming with the ladies as Akira himself.
Old 2009-05-15, 23:08   Link #20
typhonsentra

Yeah I didn't enjoy this episode whatsoever. I just kept feeling board and waiting for it to end, the exposition was just way too heavy with no worthwhile pay-off. And their use of the word "NEET" seems.... off. To this guy, NEET simply means young(ish) people or the disenfranchised. He's a NEET even though he's seemingly self-employed?
Closed Thread