AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-10-27, 11:09   Link #421
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll give Megami a look see... if the translation is passable and they've got the granularity reduced I'd like to see that.
Old 2006-10-27, 11:28   Link #422
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Eh? It is noticeable. Megami's version is the first one out of the three to remove the graininess from the video. I suppose this is because they are using a different set of RAWs for their encoding. The contrast in colours is also more vivid in Megami's version.

Cheers.
Erm, removing graininess isn't a sign of better quality. It's more a symbol of overfiltering than anything else (besides a codec not keeping up well enough to show the grain). Especially with something like Negima!? that has portions that are less cg'ish and SHOULD have the grain in there.

What you should be looking for is details, colours and edge noise.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 20:40   Link #423
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Erm, removing graininess isn't a sign of better quality. It's more a symbol of overfiltering than anything else (besides a codec not keeping up well enough to show the grain). Especially with something like Negima!? that has portions that are less cg'ish and SHOULD have the grain in there.

What you should be looking for is details, colours and edge noise.
That might be true except... I am comparing to the RAW. The graininess is not meant to be there. For a comprehensive listing of screenshots from a RAW, check out Random Curiosity.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-28, 14:32   Link #424
ChronoReverse

Thing is, codecs don't introduce graininess*. Furthermore, oftentimes, the raws aren't very good either, with sometimes details smeared out or the capture simply messed up.

But I'll take a look at your link and see.

Hrm, it's the 4:3 raw for ep1 and it's full of edge noise. Not really a good source to be comparing with.

In any case, the important thing is to compare details:

In one of these screenshots (I applied a bicubic resize to the Megami version since they were slightly off from the proper 16:9 ratio but this won't affect the details) you can see the moving textures while in the other, it's smeared out. Now, it may be the source raw (since it's blatantly obvious they're using different raws) but nonetheless, one is better.

Another thing to note is that one of the encodes is much brighter. Generally brighter sources are more difficult to encode, so this may be the reason some of the bits weren't used to capture detail.

*On the topic of grain, it's an interesting dichotomy that whereas the encoders for film and live-action usually consider a codec that is able to even capture the grain to be an excellent codec, anime encoders generally do their utmost to filter away as much as possible.

While this works well for many types of anime, for others, where there are textures, this is a rather poor thing to do.

Last edited by ChronoReverse; 2006-10-28 at 15:57.
Old 2006-10-28, 22:10   Link #425
Skane
Anime Snark

How about that logo in the upper-right? What happened to it in the first example?

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-28, 22:31   Link #426
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
How about that logo in the upper-right? What happened to it in the first example?
I'm assuming that someone probably applied a debugger to the video, since BS-J is the only channel to be airing the widescreen version of the show and it's bugged. Sometimes cappers do this, and sometimes fansubbers do it. I guess the merits are debatable.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 23:21   Link #427
ChronoReverse

Since it's a translucent logo, there's a number of tools/filters that can remove the logo. Likely the raw they used already had it removed although it's possible they did it themselves.
Old 2006-10-30, 11:09   Link #428
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
The Im guessing the one on the right is ours. Since I didnt remove the logo. We bs-j had the show upscaled so it was hd. It made it easier to work with and such. The 1st ep I think maybe I did do a bit much filtering. But the graininess didnt exist in our raw anyway. The 704x400 is because you get better compresion at Mod16. AAC cause well since its mp4 might as well plus more megabytes for the video and yes its this is ASP (xvid). Who ever made the torrent posted it wrong.

The mp4 container is cause for ep2 the ending is 60fps and other scenes fps vary so i needed a container that supported vfr. Ep2 has a diffrent kind of filtering, its less destructive.

And the signs we voted against doing them. But we will have it on our wiki once it gets moving
www.megamivisuals.com/wiki
Old 2006-10-30, 13:54   Link #429
ChronoReverse

Thanks for the explanations and the graciousness displayed =)

As for the size thing, it's not an issue to encode at that resolution. However, you should set the PAR (I think it's PAR anyways, I keep mixing up the terms) such that a proper player would resize back to 16:9 (e.g., Zoomplayer Derived Aspect Ratio). The tags work properly now so use them ;-)

Is ep2's ending truly 60fps? I've found that for many animated sources, even 60fps sequences aren't truly 60fps and can be safely decimated. I'm trying to remember the ending of ep2 right now.

Looking forward to your next release =D
Old 2006-10-31, 21:52   Link #430
dark_evangeline_19

Angry rawr

ive watched the whole anime...
I cant believe theyre just gonna remake it... *gets an axe and marches to the person[s] responsible*
dark_evangeline_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 21:56   Link #431
dark_evangeline_19

anyway~ do you guys know of any- just about any source for good evangeline pix... Im dying for a good shot of her... google's not being of much assistance to me either ~sobs~
dark_evangeline_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 22:02   Link #432
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_evangeline_19 View Post
anyway~ do you guys know of any- just about any source for good evangeline pix... Im dying for a good shot of her... google's not being of much assistance to me either ~sobs~
Have you checked our image thread?

-> http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=37297

There is another link to images, but some of them are kind of dirty and I don't know your age. I'll just say...search.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 23:02   Link #433
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_evangeline_19 View Post
ive watched the whole anime...
I cant believe theyre just gonna remake it... *gets an axe and marches to the person[s] responsible*
Before you damn the remake, you ought to take a look at it. It tells an interesting version of the story from an entirely different perspective and is directed by one of better directors on the scene now.

If you're lucky, you may end up liking both anime versions of Negima.

For myself, there were a few moments and a couple of episodes in the first version of Negima I liked but most of it seemed to be wasted and lost opportunities by not following the manga events and animation issues.

So far this new remake is fascinating --- and it does have that "!?" in the title so they're telling you upfront not to take anything for granted.

If evangeline is a favorite of yours, try to see if you can find a copy of her character CD (the Dark Angels CD with Eva, Chach, and Sayo). It has some really nice music, a short story - radio style, and a hilarious interview of the three voice actresses (in japanese but its still pretty funny).
Old 2006-11-01, 03:48   Link #434
sevenheaven7

is there a lot of romance compared to MSN?(the first serie)
sevenheaven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 04:09   Link #435
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That's a really tough quesiton to answer. While one would think that we would have a good enough read on this show after 3 episodes to answer such a simple quesiton, that just isn't true.

Negima!? is so unique that even 3 episodes just feels like a warm up. It breaks the mold and blazes new territory outside the safe boundries of stereotypes and formulas. So far in the show there hasn't been as much "romance" as MSN, but we have no idea what the next episode will bring. I'd recommend that you watch it yourself because there isn't any way to convey exactly what this show is like.

And as an aside I'd like to say that while MSN contained a lot of oogling, crushes and "ooo he's so cute" stuff, it didn't have very much real romance. (Hence my use of quotes in the above paragraph.) By that measure, so far Negima!? is running neck-to-neck by introducing the Evangeline-Thousand Master relationship, one of the few actual romances in MSN, as well as it's conterpart with Negi.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 11:53   Link #436
raideralan

Is shinsen's tracker down cause I read on shinsen's homepage that their primary tracker is offline but on the front page of animesuki there is seeds for Negima 2.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 14:38   Link #437
DribCC

Send a message via AIM to DribCC Send a message via MSN to DribCC
Whats the name of the art style used in the flash backs when Negi's father is fighting Evengelien? I'm a huge fan of thats style and it looks a little similar to the art style used in Dead Leaves
DribCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 15:15   Link #438
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DribCC View Post
Whats the name of the art style used in the flash backs when Negi's father is fighting Evengelien? I'm a huge fan of thats style and it looks a little similar to the art style used in Leaves
Dunno if there's a name, but it reminds me of American-action-comic-gone-anime. I like that style, as well (when it's used properly, and it was here). I thought it was a great way to give that sequence a different flavor without doing anything too harsh.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 16:46   Link #439
DribCC

Send a message via AIM to DribCC Send a message via MSN to DribCC
But I've noticed one thing about this newer more post mdern anime art style, aside from Dead Leaves which used it through out the hole show, this style has only been used in flash backs. Like in Negima!? and in
Avatar: The Last Air Bender( ep. title: The Great Devide)... No that I think about it it looks like a darker more gritty version of the Viewtiful Joe anime art style.
DribCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 17:19   Link #440
Shin_Battousai

raideralan: er shouldn't you be asking this on Shinsen's forums? ^^;
Shin_Battousai is offline   Reply With Quote