AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-28, 15:13   Link #481
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
In fact the only characters who I have felt truly deserve a harem, who have actually worked for it, put effort into it and are generally awesome such as Ken from Seizon or Keima from Kaminomi, either don't get it or don't want it.
Although I like such harem leads, the idea that you have to work for your harem to deserve it is actually pretty overrated to me. Well, of course, I believe you have to do something to deserve your girl, but if it's the girl who likes you without you doing anything (or doing something you're not aware of), what can you do?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 17:51   Link #482
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Although I like such harem leads, the idea that you have to work for your harem to deserve it is actually pretty overrated to me. Well, of course, I believe you have to do something to deserve your girl, but if it's the girl who likes you without you doing anything (or doing something you're not aware of), what can you do?
That's what make harem story very satisfying to watch, where there's mutual effort between the MC and the heroines to earn each other's affection. IMO, i find many harems trash mainly because the MC literally do nothing at all throughout the story, and completely effortless compared to the girls' bloody effort to make him love them
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 20:27   Link #483
Yorae_paladin1

my pet peeve of anime is how many times professional armies are made to look like useless fools either so incompetent we shouldn't have em at all or so weak despite great technology and discipline they fail due overpowering of monsters and forces humanity to depend on something that could turn on it or in many cases too foolish etc to to truly trust its peeve i got for a while and it came to a head after reading the fanfic known as the humans strike back.
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 21:20   Link #484
judasmartel
*Author

Well, if all professional armies in fiction are that competent, then wars would end pretty quickly, won't they?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 21:26   Link #485
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Well, if all professional armies in fiction are that competent, then wars would end pretty quickly, won't they?
They might also last longer than the animators would care to depict them.
Old 2013-03-28, 23:57   Link #486
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae_paladin1 View Post
my pet peeve of anime is how many times professional armies are made to look like useless fools either so incompetent we shouldn't have em at all or so weak despite great technology and discipline they fail due overpowering of monsters and forces humanity to depend on something that could turn on it or in many cases too foolish etc to to truly trust its peeve i got for a while and it came to a head after reading the fanfic known as the humans strike back.
This is an issue not just with anime but with media in general. No matter how great a soldier is he will always pale in comparison to "good" and "heart."

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that not even the Stormtrooper Effect (thanks wikipedia for literally being worthless for one of the first times EVER when trying to hyperlink to useful information) would save them in most cases. Yeah there's some psychology behind the faceless villains and the indoctrinated soldier masses fighting the pure-hearted rabble. Not "that" much though.

Even worse I think is putting a huge gap between the average soldier and the characters. It always bothers me in anime and manga when the main characters just flick those nameless soldiers away like flies. Naruto is such a great example of this. We constantly see new characters introduced and mentioned with some great ninja abilities sometimes and they have some degree of prowess, but any faceless and nameless soldiers are completely worthless and serve no purpose whatsoever. For a property that's bristling with unique family lines passing on powerful jutsus, and people that are skilled in their method of choice, the vast majority of ninja are really bad at being... Well being ninjas.

It gets worse when the characters are using guns. You're telling me the average trained soldier is less capable of fighting than some guy who picked a gun up for the first time in the first episode? Oh man...
Old 2013-03-29, 00:04   Link #487
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Well, we can't have an anime like Band of Brothers where everyone is basically "competent'... In anime, there will always be a "lead", a hero that is, the one stands out above the rest... If we want an anime where every army is competent... the story will drag too long....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 05:39   Link #488
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
What I hate the most about anime is the lack of balance. You have anime that is your typical setting and characters that we've seen a million times before. Then you have anime that "takes risks" except they end up being wtf and basically were just different to be different. It's rare when you get an anime that presents an interesting idea that doesn't go overboard, while retaining its quality and expectations throughout.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 05:43   Link #489
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
What I hate the most about anime is the lack of balance. You have anime that is your typical setting and characters that we've seen a million times before. Then you have anime that "takes risks" except they end up being wtf and basically were just different to be different. It's rare when you get an anime that presents an interesting idea that doesn't go overboard, while retaining its quality and expectations throughout.
Agree.. that's why I appreciate anime movies more than anime TV series....
Old 2013-03-29, 08:21   Link #490
backbone
Banned

Quote:
This is somewhat my pet peeve with mecha anime as well. When a single one-man-army mecha is grinding through entire army consisting of dozen of tanks, bombers, etc that firing any armament (rockets, missiles, machine guns) towards the mecha. The mecha only put minimal effort to dodge, as it simply rushes through the army, and yet none of the incoming attacks capable of hitting it at all (despite its overly massive size which means it's very vulnerable to attack).

How come?
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 16:41   Link #491
Yorae_paladin1

in devilman lady manga this is somewhat resolved the military is actually competent.
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:10   Link #492
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

On most people who don't watch anime or anything, they see only the hentai and yaoi. And say all it is, is girls with big boobs showing.
And they don't see the storylines or anything else that makes a anime good.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:57   Link #493
csuree
The Most Hated™

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
This is somewhat my pet peeve with mecha anime as well. When a single one-man-army mecha is grinding through entire army consisting of dozen of tanks, bombers, etc that firing any armament (rockets, missiles, machine guns) towards the mecha. The mecha only put minimal effort to dodge, as it simply rushes through the army, and yet none of the incoming attacks capable of hitting it at all (despite its overly massive size which means it's very vulnerable to attack).

How come?
well one counter example for it is Full Metal Panic where the mecha has the lambda drive which makes it invulnerable against attacks. but then again... even when the lambda is not active... the mecha shows incredible agility.....
given that even modern warfare has advanced a lot.... i still takes time to aim a tank or a helicopter to hit a very fast moving object......around 3-5 seconds for a tank and 2-4 seconds for a flying machine, and this is not including the chance to miss.
so your theory has some good points..... but the mecha always win because of their speed even if they are big.

also the thing i hate the most is the level difference between "fodder" characters and the hero. in real life no matter how strong you get you always find a weak person who just K.O's you in one hit.....but not in anime.....here the hero is like a god compared to the rest.....it is annoying sometimes.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:12   Link #494
Eragon
Still Alive

Wasted potential - for whatever bullshit reasons.

Like High School of the Dead. Why just why was it reduced to tits and asses galore! The show had interesting premise. But, for whatever reason the director seemed to think people(men mostly) just think with their lower body. So, we have a zombie apocalypse just so our protagonist (along with the gun-maniac) could shack with all the hot girls in his school *facewall* *facewall* - because that's what it got reduced to.
Old 2013-04-02, 15:34   Link #495
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Wasted potential - for whatever bullshit reasons.

Like High School of the Dead. Why just why was it reduced to tits and asses galore! The show had interesting premise.
To be fair, it had about the same premise as just about every other piece of zombie apocalypse fiction out there.

I'll definitely agree that the show would have been much better if they had toned down the fanservice in my eyes, but that's just not the kind of show it wanted to be. It drew in the crowd that wanted the over-the-top boobs and violence, and I'm not one to rain on their parade.
Old 2013-04-02, 18:56   Link #496
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
To be fair, it had about the same premise as just about every other piece of zombie apocalypse fiction out there.

I'll definitely agree that the show would have been much better if they had toned down the fanservice in my eyes, but that's just not the kind of show it wanted to be. It drew in the crowd that wanted the over-the-top boobs and violence, and I'm not one to rain on their parade.
Well, they still could have done that without utterly neglecting everything else. I mean its not like fanservice and good plot don't work together on some occasions - albeit it requires more effort and good direction, but still.
Old 2013-04-02, 22:01   Link #497
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
From TVTropes:

Quote:
The phrase ''I'll protect you'' in Japanese is often used in anime as a declaration of devotion and commitment – especially when said to a woman by a man – and not a petition to be her bodyguard (although that does come up now and again). It's often translated as just "I love you" in English. Because gender roles in Japanese culture are much more rigid than in other parts of the world, this is sometimes used to show a male character who has been less than macho to be stepping up as a man, and gives a tomboyish girl a chance to showcase her femininity by being protected like girls are supposed to. This can be really, really weird for Western audiences, who are left to wonder what the Hell The Hero is thinking, offering to protect his super-powered/magical/martial artist/psionic girlfriend if she's clearly capable of taking care of herself.
Old 2013-04-02, 22:02   Link #498
NoemiChan
Banned

The Clothes.

From school to battle, always the same clothes....

The line " Let's make wonderful memories together.."
Old 2013-04-02, 23:55   Link #499
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I just realized I've never posted a proper response here, or if I have I don't remember it.

If there's one thing I strongly dislike about anime trends right now is the very large amount of generic, repetitive and predictable concepts. It's largely a matter of "you've seen this once and you've seen it a-thousand times" to me.

Light novel adaptations usually tend to be the same thing, some sort of badly-executed adventure or weird romantic comedy series both with harem elements on the side. Eroge adaptations are usually always some light-hearted romantic slice of life with the heroines largely as the main draw. Visual novel adaptations usually tend to be either horror, science-fiction or psychological stories. Etc. etc.

That isn't to say there aren't exceptions to the repetition and predictability, but often those exceptions aren't always obvious and even if they do manage to make themselves apparent it does not mean it'll be significant enough to save the show from whatever horridness that may plague it.

I do realize this is more of a safeguard for the industry though. If the more ambitious and risk-taking projects don't take off, they can always fall back on the generic stuff because they are almost guaranteed to make a profit off of otaku habits.

Unfortunately thanks to this, there's very little broadcast recently that actually intrigues me and I usually only watch 1 to 3 shows a season. I'm not one of those people who is capable of trying everything.
Old 2013-04-03, 02:23   Link #500
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The Clothes.

From school to battle, always the same clothes....

The line " Let's make wonderful memories together.."
Not just in anime, but in most things. Is it really such a difficult concept for characters to change their clothes from time to time?

Even the best anime refuse to invest in a wardrobe for characters. One of the things that stood out to me in the Haruhi Endless Eight, to give an example, was the different clothing in every episode. On the more American side, this is one of the things I really liked about Archer. I think people often forget that if you give an audience something to watch, they'll ignore literally every single important thing and focus on all the stuff you thought that was minor.