AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 16 15.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 14.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 20.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 25.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 5.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.81%
4 out of 10 : Poor 8 7.62%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.95%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.95%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 4.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-09, 21:45   Link #41
kittybear

this anime is total biri biri raep lol
kittybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 21:45   Link #42
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Really? until now there is no Touma X Mikoto neither in Index(novels) nor in Railgun(manga)
There is no Touma X anyone if it comes to that, unless you count that all the girls are in love with him.
Old 2009-10-09, 22:04   Link #43
stillmissing

Mikoto acts surprised about Touma's powers numerous times. Usually because she tries out a new attack on him only to find out that he can block it as well.

As for the comment that they meet less after the first novel, I can't agree to that. Overall, they've spent far more time together after he met Index than those short few minute long bursts that always ended with Touma running away.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-10-09 at 23:59. Reason: Removed the spoiler content -- it's an episode thread, so no future-event spoilers
stillmissing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:18   Link #44
Primary Consult

Arrgh, I want to change my vote... as a second episode for a one cour, it felt like a waste of time / not a proper balance of aspects of the story. But apparently it is probably a two cour.
It's like reading a book, and if two chapters in out of 13 the main story still hasn't presented itself, you get antsy. But if that book was twice as long, you don't get that same feeling until later.

In any case, I found "sou desu wa ne" hilarous, along with Kuroko's album. The teaser / cold opener with Touma was awesome as well. And meeting some of Kuroko's classmates/other friends. Really hoping next week is leaning more on the action side...
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:46   Link #45
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

You know, this is what Index the series needed to become better. A series of episodes where it totally forgot about the plot only to concentrate on developing its cast. This kind of episodes is what makes you care more and more about the characters, more than being thrown a lot of terminology in your face followed by a 10 minutes Touma speech about things I'd be able to explain better when i was in elementary school. But I digress. Excellent episode.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:54   Link #46
QuickSilverD
Claymore fan

This episode was... boring, really boring to me, the only good part was Touma at the beginning and that is assuming one has watched Index first to know who Touma is (Well I guess everyone here has watched before, but shouldn't all series assume they have new audiences?)

Anyway so far it looks like this series is just pure fanservice, I didn't read the manga as I didn't want to spoil anything for myself, but please tell me, Is the manga like this or is it better?
Old 2009-10-09, 23:02   Link #47
Bordix

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Incidentally, I mentioned this elsewhere, but it bears mentioning that all signs point to this show actually being two-cour, and not the one-cour that some fans predicated earlier. So based on that, I suspect that they are moving more of the light-hearted stuff on the frontend to do some character development before they move into the more dramatic material. This might help them have better story climaxes at the end of each season.
Agreed

Still the episode was still somewhat enjoyable, although too much fan service for my tastes, and the serious part at the pool didn't do any good to me. I'm okay with yuri but as long as it's humorous yuri.

7/10 just because Touma made an appearance.
Old 2009-10-09, 23:16   Link #48
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
My guess on whats gonna happen.

Kuroko:"Onee-sama! Come over here & let's make some Yuri love!"
Mikoto:"STAY AWAY FROM ME YOU PERVERT!!(Zap's Kuroko with Lighting)"
Kuroko:"IYAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

End of Story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Knowing Kuroko, she'll probably enjoy being shocked by her.
but what happens if she caught a CLONE Misaka instead of the real one?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 23:23   Link #49
Fandal

Odd, isn't this episode the special chapter of the manga? Anyone think they might be doing the Slice of Life scenes now so they can save the action screens for the ending?
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 23:45   Link #50
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post
Odd, isn't this episode the special chapter of the manga? Anyone think they might be doing the Slice of Life scenes now so they can save the action screens for the ending?
I think it was from the epilogue of the level upper arc...
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 00:52   Link #51
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Anyway so far it looks like this series is just pure fanservice, I didn't read the manga as I didn't want to spoil anything for myself, but please tell me, Is the manga like this or is it better?
Don't worry, this series is not pure fanservice. It will become serious soon enough.
Old 2009-10-10, 01:26   Link #52
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post
Actually, part of it is all new, while the pool cleaning was from chapter 17. (which should have resulted from one of the major fights in the manga)

Well I still have high hopes for thies series as the manga is really good, just too much pointless stuff and definitely a bit overdone on the Kuroko-mania here. They certainly don't have to go with the manga way word for word, but I hope they at least do better than this next week.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-10-10 at 02:28. Reason: Removed spoilers for things that happened in the manga that haven't been presented in the anime yet
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 01:42   Link #53
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
What can I say? This episode (like the last) was perfect in every way. 10/10

Usually I hate pointless episodes that do nothing but show "playful" scenes that is basically "eye-candy." But you know, the entire show is eye-candy to me, and that's why I think made the different. I watch Railgun with a completely different attitude than I do most anime, and it works beautifully.

The best thing about this episode is that it's mildly suggestively cute. There's this great contrast between Mikoto and Kuroko that's entertaining while not going overboard with slapstick like some comedies. I was expecting this to be an action episode, but I'm glad that it wasn't. Interestingly, the comedy was perfect, and this episode can be summed up with this sentence: If the two main characters were replaced with any male and any female, I would've hated it. Railgun does a great job at using its characters in such a way to create dynamism from basic, cliche elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You know, this is what Index the series needed to become better. A series of episodes where it totally forgot about the plot only to concentrate on developing its cast. This kind of episodes is what makes you care more and more about the characters, more than being thrown a lot of terminology in your face followed by a 10 minutes Touma speech about things I'd be able to explain better when i was in elementary school. But I digress. Excellent episode.
And yes, this. I was wary of calling this a "character development" episode, but in the end, that's what it is. It made me like the characters more and care about the characters more, which is what truly matters in the end.

EDIT: I totally want Kuroko's album.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 02:01   Link #54
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Wow... To Aru Majutsu no Index was all over the place with constant action and terminology which made it hard to follow... and now this Railgun episode is like To Aru doing K-ON?

What the hell is up with this series? When I was watching Index, I thought there no such thing as too much BIRIBIRI... but maybe I was wrong...

If this episode was supposed to further the viewers understanding of the deep relationship Mikoto and Kuroko have... it pretty much failed... all it was, was a bit of fan service with weak comedic bits.

Really, and I was pretty amped at the being with Touma's cameo...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 02:02   Link #55
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Fanservice episode already lol, in the 2nd episode.

Kuroko's siscon = WIN!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 02:03   Link #56
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

As a big fan of the first series, I'll probably drop this by the 3rd episode so I won't think bad of it and have negative feelings afterwards. I also don't want to heavily criticise it, It will ruin the whole series for me.

It's such a shame though, as a yuri fan I would have thought it would actually be worth the watch (No, I wasn't expecting any yuri) but they're trying too hard on the yuri fandom as well.
Old 2009-10-10, 02:21   Link #57
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Is that some noodles?

http://i33.tinypic.com/6f1r95.jpg
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 02:22   Link #58
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Actually, part of it is all new, while the pool cleaning was from chapter 17. (which should have resulted from one of the major fights in the manga)
If the series is indeed two-cour, they might have to bulk up several episodes with new content. For Ep. 2, this was accomplished by an original segment leading into the pool cleaning scene (focal point).

Anyway, I thought the execution of this episode was excellent (although I fully expected opinions to be all over the map ). The content is fluffy and comically exaggerated, but I don't think every episode needs to offer substantial plot development, especially this early on.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 02:38   Link #59
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Anyway, I thought the execution of this episode was excellent (although I fully expected opinions to be all over the map ). The content is fluffy and comically exaggerated, but I don't think every episode needs to offer substantial plot development, especially this early on.
Actually, the reactions sort of continue the trend from Index of people apparently mistaking the show's genre. With Index people seemed to be expected an romantic action drama (like Shana), but what they got instead was a preachy sci-fi (which I still say is a perfectly acceptable genre on its own, it's just not what people expected). And now, people built up expectations for themselves like "finally, we'll be getting an action series without the preachiness!", and instead the director said that the show would focus on the friendship between the girls. In all cases I think the show will have its fans, but for some reason the English-speaking audience seems to have a real time categorizing this franchise in their minds, or fitting it into the Japanese directors's visions for the respective shows.

Regardless, I think I pretty much agree with you regarding the episode proper.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 03:44   Link #60
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
A full episode of pointless fanservice... WTF really? And manga had such a good plot T_T

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote