Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-16, 20:16   Link #1881
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkychappy View Post
yes, because this only applies to 1999 fans right? it's not like shinobi is making a weekly comparison that bashes the 1999 series at every turn (and which you, based on your comments, obviously perceive as a "reliable" source. see how i feel this is unfair?)

many people in these thread are actually giving the 2011 series a chance. a lot are saying that this version of the fight is great, is amazing, is really good, etc. it's just that there's usually a footnote saying that they still prefer the 1999 series, which is not really being disrespectful.

anyway don't worry. when greed island comes nippon animation's version would be bashed to highest heavens. myself included, lol. (there's no way madhouse could make it worse than NA, right? RIGHT?) in fact, i find it really telling that the 1999 tv series could stand the test of time whereas GI OVAs are universally-reviled. that basically destroys that silly "nostalgia" claim
No, as I've made clear, the bashing is coming from both sides, and it's tiresome no matter what form. My point is merely that the 2011 series deserves the same chance the 1999 had for 12 years - to be judged on its own merits and how it fares as a manga adaptation.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 20:33   Link #1882
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
If I were the author and my anger driven character got changed into self loathing type, I would be displeased.
Actually, most authors let the anime producers do whatever they want. Only in a few special cases they involve themselves with the adaptations, and mostly only as consultants. To begin with an author worth his/her salt knows the director should be free to make the adaptation based on his own vision instead of trying to copy whatever the original author intended for.

To go back to your example, if a self loathing type works for what the director is going for, I don't see any problems with it. And as far as I remember, Kurapika's characterization worked well in enough for the series back then (although I wouldn't call him self loathing myself).

As for this adaption, it's still too early to tell for sure, but so far I think Kurapika's okay.
Old 2012-09-16, 20:50   Link #1883
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i find funny people saying they prefer the old version for faithfullness when the reason for a reboot was that they screwed so much some events events that it wouldnt make sense later in the series.
Old 2012-09-16, 20:52   Link #1884
Kit Kat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
i find funny people saying they prefer the old version for faithfullness when the reason for a reboot was that they screwed so much some events events that it wouldnt make sense later in the series.
Uh...what? That wasn't the reason at all. They did it to re-introduce HxH to a new audience who probably haven't even read the manga let alone watched the 1999 series.
Kit Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 21:02   Link #1885
Clarste
Human

The new series also removed something that will make transitioning into future arcs harder.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 22:23   Link #1886
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Kat View Post
Uh...what? That wasn't the reason at all. They did it to re-introduce HxH to a new audience who probably haven't even read the manga let alone watched the 1999 series.
Spoiler for not really.:
Old 2012-09-16, 22:47   Link #1887
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
EPISODE 47

Spoiler for Part 1:

Spoiler for Part 2:
Echoing what many people are thinking, thanks for putting out a comparison between the old/new.

Regarding Kura fight against Uvo, I did not mind the Nippo adaption, where Uvo punch did not send Kura a farther distance. Uvo punch looks like it was coming down, instead of rising up at Kura, plus it shows how strong Kura is. The other scene, where Kura was crying after burying Uvo, I find it nice, because it shows emotion in Kura and I liked him, for that trait. It might not be 100% faithful to the manga, but the those points, still lead to the same path.

Now, I'm just nit picking, but for Kura to be a she, it has nothing to do with having a more delicate heart or whatever. It's just Kura character to be strong type of person on the outside, but a softy in the inside.

fyi, I also liked the Nippo adaptation, where Kura had those were bug out illusions AND the one red eye + normal~
Old 2012-09-16, 22:52   Link #1888
whitecloud

by the way we just see 4 of kurapika 5 chain right?, kurapika does have 5 ring... or does the dowsing chain sit in 2 finger since it's the most generic chain? it wont hurt to fire 2 at once
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 00:56   Link #1889
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Am I the only one who finds it depressing that so much of this thread is devoted to fans of either version telling the other how much their version sucks?
meh it happens, the original is a classic, and its the reason for naruto even existing in the 1st place. i was also thinking the same, becuz they did things differently, in a negative way, so ofcourse i would be pissed.
but now i think madhouse is doing an amazing job with this anime, i think the fight here was actually better than the original (though original has a handicap of being a decade old and stuff....)

but yea, like i said, this episode was awesome
Old 2012-09-17, 01:52   Link #1890
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Re: "You have no idea what an adaptation is, do you?"

I think that's a pretty degrading way to dismiss people's opinions. Apparently people can't dislike an anime for diverging from the source material they like so much, and butchering the characters they've come to love? That's just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Only the chain jail is restricted to the Spiders, so he'd still be pretty overpowered fighting anyone else.
Chain Jail is his overpowered hax move, so I'm not too sure about that. Without it he'd just have the dowsing chain to attack with.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 02:25   Link #1891
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Chain Jail is his overpowered hax move, so I'm not too sure about that. Without it he'd just have the dowsing chain to attack with.
He would still be able to use every Nen category at 100% though, which is already a pretty hax ability. We don't realize all he could do with that kinda power because right now he channels everything into his chain, but there's nothing preventing him from using other attacks or materializing other things, for instance.
Old 2012-09-17, 06:12   Link #1892
Kit Kat
Banned

Quote:
Re: "You have no idea what an adaptation is, do you?"

I think that's a pretty degrading way to dismiss people's opinions. Apparently people can't dislike an anime for diverging from the source material they like so much, and butchering the characters they've come to love? That's just silly.
Except none of that's happened. People are just nitpicking on one scene that does not diverge or change anything for the sake of nitpicking.

Quote:
]for one at this point killua had already overcame his assasin ways by confronting the other killua inside him in the older series
Wrong. He didn't overcome them, the other self was just a visual metaphor and him "conqueroring" it was o show he had found a place along side Gon which is something that's of great importance to his development.

Quote:
]
not to mention leorio's background changes.[/SPOILER]
He had no background changes.

Point is, the reason for the remake was spelled out when it was first announced and not for the reason you keep spouting.
Old 2012-09-17, 08:36   Link #1893
chikkychappy

wow, i read just shinobi's comparisons. no, kurapica isn't a girl in nippon animation's version. seriously. i don't even. what the hell. how can you even. i don't. what.
chikkychappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 09:24   Link #1894
ShiroiRyu

For one who read the manga actually from the beginning and only saw this anime, i'm really pleased.
Old 2012-09-17, 10:08   Link #1895
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Kat View Post
Except none of that's happened. People are just nitpicking on one scene that does not diverge or change anything for the sake of nitpicking.
Some people don't agree with you there.

While I don't really hate the 1999 version, fact is they did characterize Kurapica very differently. He went from a man of vengeance, to a "man" who gets screwed over by his vengeance. Gon was also changed, although some of the changes were reversed a bit by the time of the OVAs.

Quote:
He would still be able to use every Nen category at 100% though, which is already a pretty hax ability. We don't realize all he could do with that kinda power because right now he channels everything into his chain, but there's nothing preventing him from using other attacks or materializing other things, for instance.
As a matter of fact there is. A Conjurer can't just materialise any old thing on a whim, you know? Also, even with his Enhancer aptitude at 100%, Uvo is still superior by merit of having more experience. Also, Emperor Time wears him out. The reason he lost is because of Chain Jail.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 10:29   Link #1896
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
As a matter of fact there is. A Conjurer can't just materialise any old thing on a whim, you know? Also, even with his Enhancer aptitude at 100%, Uvo is still superior by merit of having more experience. Also, Emperor Time wears him out. The reason he lost is because of Chain Jail.
It's not just experience, but also of Kurapika's own ceiling regarding his Nen talent and ability. Even at 100% Enhancer, it's not like Kurapika can use Big Bang Impact.

If anything, Emperor Time's real advantage is that it can very effectively take an opponent by surprise since it defies the fundamentals and rules of Nen. Well, that and an amazing versatility, but Kurapika needs more than just that against the Ryodan.

Which is where Chain Jail came into play.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 10:34   Link #1897
Kit Kat
Banned

Quote:
Some people don't agree with you there.
Doesn't make them right in the slightest however
Quote:
While I don't really hate the 1999 version, fact is they did characterize Kurapica very differently. He went from a man of vengeance, to a "man" who gets screwed over by his vengeance.
Again, what are you talking about? He did not change, the direction made the scene more explicit is all, this is what I mean by nitpicking. If he started crying and feeling sorry for what he did then maybe you would have an argument but as of now you're argument is based solely on your interpretation on the scene which is in fact a baseless. In a way the fact that people can argue over a character's mood being interpreted shows how well the theatrics of the 1999 anime were in comparison to the less than stellar ones of the 2011, but hey who cares as long as they copy panel to panel right? Directions and theatrics don't matter whatsoever in the 2011 anime and neither does Kaito
Quote:
wow, i read just shinobi's comparisons. no, kurapica isn't a girl in nippon animation's version. seriously. i don't even. what the hell. how can you even. i don't. what.
Most of these comparisons are made by bias fans of the 2011 anime, notice his overuse of the word pathetic and him citing that MUSIC DOES NOT MATTER and then he inserts his opinion on matters when the 2011 anime decides to omit scenes that were covered in both the 1999 anime and the 2011 anime. I've long since stop taking them seriously.
Old 2012-09-17, 12:57   Link #1898
ditn

still 1999 vs 2011 huh,this is getting boring.
how many times do i have to say that you will enjoy if you dont try to compare them with eachother.

I agree with the poster a page back,should make a thread 1999 vs 2011 and keep this one for ongoing hxh anime discussion
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 13:36   Link #1899
kitten320

Quote:
Actually, most authors let the anime producers do whatever they want. Only in a few special cases they involve themselves with the adaptations, and mostly only as consultants. To begin with an author worth his/her salt knows the director should be free to make the adaptation based on his own vision instead of trying to copy whatever the original author intended for.
Well obviously if it is your only chance to get anime series, I would go for it too since it is a great opportunity to promote yourself.

However, it doesn't mean that authors are happy with the changes. In some cases they don't really have any right to object. Or deal with changes or forget about anime altogether.
Old 2012-09-17, 13:43   Link #1900
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
there are several instances that seem the producers of the old anime want us to think that, there is this one occasion where leorio is sharing a room with kurapika, and when leorio gets out of the bath naked kurapica proceeds to beat leorio, at wich leorio wonder what he did wrong, this is the most cliché event in any anime with a crossdressing woman, there is this other scene where kurapica is slips in a couch, where he ends in a position with his legs opened in front of the others, and he proceeds to close his legs in a manner like he was just using a skirt, and there are just a couple i can remeber.

Tags
action, shounen